[T-MEC] Terrarian Mechanical Engineering Corps

Ok so I'm in pre-hard mode (cant use logic gates) and am trying to figure out how to "lock" a door. I'm using an actuator door, and I'm trying to figure a way that will allow me to press a switch, making the door unable to open.

Really? Other than "L shaped" infinite house trick being disabled, what makes you say that?
I've tried the "Prison House" model with interior dimensions being 10 tall, 3 wide, with a solid block to stand on, and platforms to count as doors and it wasn't valid housing (furnature, back wall and torch requirements were all met too)

'm using an actuator door, and I'm trying to figure a way that will allow me to press a switch, making the door unable to open.
It sounds like what you're actually asking for is a way to disable the pressure plates, or switches that actuate the 'door'. If there are floor based pressure plates you can use actuated half blocks either side of the plates (on a separate color circuit). That way, when you 'lock' switch is thrown, you'll no longer be able to hit the open/close plate.

If you want to disable a switch/lever, it's trickier. You'd need to have a relay of some kind that is disabled (by your lock switch). Of course logic gates are perfect for this. But you could use a dart trap and a teal pressure plate as a relay/transistor, to send the signal to open the door. And an actuated block in there to disable the dart from passing through. But this will only operate once every 3.33 seconds.

I've tried the "Prison House" model with interior dimensions being 10 tall, 3 wide
Mine work fine still. Make sure there's nothing at all in the way of the NPC's standing location, up to 3 tiles up.
Cropper2016-05-30-21-51-31-1936552.png

It sounds like what you're actually asking for is a way to disable the pressure plates, or switches that actuate the 'door'. If there are floor based pressure plates you can use actuated half blocks either side of the plates (on a separate color circuit). That way, when you 'lock' switch is thrown, you'll no longer be able to hit the open/close plate.

If you want to disable a switch/lever, it's trickier. You'd need to have a relay of some kind that is disabled (by your lock switch). Of course logic gates are perfect for this. But you could use a dart trap and a teal pressure plate as a relay/transistor, to send the signal to open the door. And an actuated block in there to disable the dart from passing through. But this will only operate once every 3.33 seconds.

Mine work fine still. Make sure there's nothing at all in the way of the NPC's standing location, up to 3 tiles up.
View attachment 114333
So it has changed a bit, I've been able to set them to stand in older versions (most particularly on my 3DS version) with chair/workbench on the floor. Thanks for the heads up. I'll now be able to rebuild the model properly to store the NPCs

I've been able to set them to stand in older versions (most particularly on my 3DS version) with chair/workbench on the floor.
Oh, sorry, workbench and chair are generally fine...
Cropper2016-05-30-22-59-31-4287511.png

... just not a wall torch, say at head height. (Furniture can shift the stand spot around though, under some circumstances.)

I kind of have some space restrictions.
Yeah, sorry, not going to happen. You have to plan your build in advance for it, or just wait to get logic gates and stuff them in somewhere near-ish by. :)

Last edited:
Hey T-MEC Terrarians. I was told by someone I should post my Duck Hunt like game here. I made a thread talking about it in the "Work-in-Progress" section. I call the game Duck Duck Dart. I was thinking about typing up a long explanation about how it all works and how the wiring is set up. But most people never read my walls of text anyways. XD I would make a video about it, but my computer is a slow piece of crap and can't handle making videos. I'm sure you guys would be much more interested in reading a long explanation on how it all works, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some screen shots. `:)

Normal view
GJyfcSI.png

Wire view
UXnILIR.png

Normal view
BpyMyzn.png

Wire view
cR3MR1h.png

Normal view
hGDD0Xc.png

Wire view
0bPXrx4.png

Normal view
8VoQJii.png

Wire view (Yeah this thing it tall. XD)
ykY82qN.png

Normal view
q3ADF4n.png

Wire view
mwkYS7M.png

Normal view
lDkaQEm.png

Wire view
rTfIckI.png

And some other stuff
67t3AHn.png

HDTxwe2.png

N11Xn9p.png

bBT3st8.png

Hcdye5e.png

There are still many things I will most likely change. I only have it set up for 30 waves, but I think I might come up with a different system for the wave sequence before I make it 100 waves. I plan on releasing a BETA version of the map soon, but I would like to see what you guys think of this first.
So do you guys think this is interesting or just an abomination? XD Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey T-MEC Terrarians. I was told by someone I should post my Duck Hunt like game here. I made a thread talking about it in the "Work-in-Progress" section. I call the game Duck Duck Dart. I was thinking about typing up a long explanation about how it all works and how the wiring is set up. But most people never read my walls of text anyways. XD I would make a video about it, but my computer is a slow piece of crap and can't handle making videos. I'm sure you guys would be much more interested in reading a long explanation on how it all works, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some screen shots. `:)

Normal view
GJyfcSI.png

Wire view
UXnILIR.png

Normal view
BpyMyzn.png

Wire view
cR3MR1h.png

Normal view
hGDD0Xc.png

Wire view
0bPXrx4.png

Normal view
8VoQJii.png

Wire view (Yeah this thing it tall. XD)
ykY82qN.png

Normal view
q3ADF4n.png

Wire view
mwkYS7M.png

Normal view
lDkaQEm.png

Wire view
rTfIckI.png

And some other stuff
67t3AHn.png

HDTxwe2.png

N11Xn9p.png

bBT3st8.png

Hcdye5e.png

There are still many things I will most likely change. I only have it set up for 30 waves, but I think I might come up with a different system for the wave sequence before I make it 100 waves. I plan on releasing a BETA version of the map soon, but I would like to see what you guys think of this first.
So do you guys think this is interesting or just an abomination? XD Feel free to ask any questions.
I like the concept, and would love to see you create a new topic discussing this in more detail, like how does it work, and what is the goal.

I like the concept, and would love to see you create a new topic discussing this in more detail, like how does it work, and what is the goal.
Well if you click on the Duck Duck Dart text it takes you to my other thread that tells you the goal and how the game is played. You should read that thread. As for how it all works, I haven't posted anything explaining that part yet. I was thinking, maybe someone here in the T-MEC community might be interested in doing a video explaining how the game works, and they could put it on their YouTube channel. I have seen a few videos of people talking about wiring stuff in Terraria and explaining how it works. Then when I post a download for the map, I will post that video in my thread for the people that were interested in how it all works.

Is there a way to make doors unopenable by zombies and possessed armor? Right now I'm using actuated blocks to seal off the door, but that's not very elegant.
Also, what can I use logic gates for? I can't think of a practical application for them.

Do solar eclipses trigger day sensors or night sensors? Is it possible to build a switch based override for a logic sensor?

Last edited:
Is there a way to make doors unopenable by zombies and possessed armor? Right now I'm using actuated blocks to seal off the door, but that's not very elegant.
Use blue pressure plates. Those ones are only triggered by the player and won't open for mobs.

Also, what can I use logic gates for? I can't think of a practical application for them.
There are tons of fun and practical applications for them. If you look around you can find others using them in all crazy kinds of ways. I used them to make this Duck Hunt game. ---> Duck Duck Dart

Do solar eclipses trigger day sensors or night sensors? Is it possible to build a switch based override for a logic sensor?
No sensors don't count solar eclipses as night time, it's still day time during a solar eclipse. They don't actually work by detecting light. They just trigger when the time in the game reaches day (4:30 a.m.) and night (7:30 p.m.) And yes you can build an override for them. You could have a switch to invert what ever you have them wired to. Using logic gates you could set it up so you can have things triggered by day/night automatically, or switch to manual where you control whatever you have them wired to with a switch.

Is it possible to build an off switch for a teleporter?

I'm trying to use a logic gate to deactivate pressure pad on a teleporter, so I don't accidentally teleport back and forth. It doesn't seem to work though; the teleporter works regardless.

Is it possible to build an off switch for a teleporter?

I'm trying to use a logic gate to deactivate pressure pad on a teleporter, so I don't accidentally teleport back and forth. It doesn't seem to work though; the teleporter works regardless.
Wire the pressure plate to a Transistor, then the output to the Teleporter.

A transistor is a logic gate with one on/off lamp and one faulty lamp above it. Input is the faulty lamp, output is the gate. You can turn it on or off by changing the state of the normal lamp to on or off.

I thought the faulty lamp was random. How does it work?
How do I hook up the transistor to a switch? That's what I want to use to deactivate the teleporter. I've been wiring the switch to the lamps. Is that the right idea?

It is random to a degree.
It will trigger on the probably of number of lamps under it divided by number of lamps on.

If only one lamp is between it and the gate, it will always trigger if the lamp is on, and never trigger if the lamp is off.

How do I hook up the transistor to a switch? That's what I want to use to deactivate the teleporter. I've been wiring the switch to the lamps. Is that the right idea?
Yeah, the term random is a little misleading. It's really just a % chance based on the number of lamps ON vs number of lamps OFF.
So 1 lamp ON = 100% 1 lamp OFF = 0%
1 and 1 = 50%
1 and 2 = 33.3%
1 and 3 = 25%
Or you could have more ON than OFF.
2 and 1 = 66.6%
3 and 1 = 75%
And so on...

What type of gate do I need to build a transistor?

Also, I'm a bit unclear on the configuration
is it

---- Faulty Lamp​
Switch -----Off Lamp pressure plate
gate----------------------teleporter​
It should be like this.
Pressure plate -------- wire -------- Faulty Lamp
Switch ------------------------------ Lamp
Teleporters ------------------------- AND Gate

Back
Top Bottom