Game Mechanics A solution to DoT's uselessness in lategame

Lecic

Steampunker
I'd like to suggest a very simple change to DoT's that would vastly improve their usability. Instead of doing Damage per Second, DoT debuffs will now do Damage per Second per Second! So, the longer the timer left on a DoT debuff, the more damage it is doing. We know this kind of mechanic is already possible because of mana sickness.

This would boost the power of many DoT weapons. For example, on first contact, a successful hit from a Cursed Arrow/Bullet/Flames book would be dealing 28 (7s x 4) dps instead of 4. +28 dps is a decent boost compared to +4 dps.

Of course, if the wiki is to be believed, this change would require a bit of a nerf to Flask of Poison, which supposedly inflicts it for 900 seconds, which would be 1,800 dps.

I can't really say anything useful about this since I never use poisons and the like, but it'd be nice if the Fire Gauntlet wasn't so useless (compared to the Mechanical Glove). :)

I can't really say anything useful about this since I never use poisons and the like, but it'd be nice if the Fire Gauntlet wasn't so useless (compared to the Mechanical Glove). :)

I mean, there's not really a reason to NOT upgrade to the Fire Gauntlet. Same thing, plus fire. But this suggestion WOULD make it more useful, giving it a boost of 4 to 12 dps instead of just 4.

DoT is not meant for late game to begin with. When there are lots of things around that do a ton of damage and move very fast, you don't want to wait until DoT takes care of them, you want to (and can) take them out immediately. DoT being useless is sort of its premise in a game where monsters get more damaging and mobile as it progresses..

DoT is not meant for late game to begin with. When there are lots of things around that do a ton of damage and move very fast, you don't want to wait until DoT takes care of them, you want to (and can) take them out immediately. DoT being useless is sort of its premise in a game where monsters get more damaging and mobile as it progresses..

If DoT is supposed to be more and more useless as the game progresses, why are we given a brand new DoT type right near the end of the game?

Why should DoT get more useless?

If DoT is supposed to be more and more useless as the game progresses, why are we given a brand new DoT type right near the end of the game?

Why should DoT get more useless?

You mean Venom? That's an upgrade from poison that is dangerous to players. It's rather useless against monsters because a lot of them are immune to it and the weapons that cause it deal quite a lot of damage on their own, so overall the contribution of DoT isn't that high to begin with.

DoT is only potent in PvP, which I feel is satisfactory.

You mean Venom? That's an upgrade from poison that is dangerous to players. It's rather useless against monsters because a lot of them are immune to it and the weapons that cause it deal quite a lot of damage on their own, so overall the contribution of DoT isn't that high to begin with.

u are sure?
Frost_armor_male.png
Flower_of_Frost.png
Frostburn Immune NPCS (Copyed from wiki btw)

Immune NPCs
Bosses:

Other:

That's Frostburn, not Venom. Frostburn is even less useful because it has only three sources that have better alternatives, as opposed to Venom which has a Flask.
But We Are talking about the uselessness of DoT? Right?Oh Also on 6 enemies are immune to frostburn and this suggestion will make them of more use

But We Are talking about the uselessness of DoT? Right?

Yes, which I feel shouldn't be fixed as it isn't broken.

The thing with damage progression is that flat increases become obsolete after a certain point. If you really want a potent DoT affect, you should try percentages (like 5% of max health or so).

DoT isn't potent outside of PvP because it was balanced around pre-HM enemies.

Be honest- if you could gain an up to an additional 48 dps on your weapons, would you? Because venom would do that if this was implemented.

We're getting frostburn bullets and flasks in 1.3, too, so
only three sources
isn't as much of a problem as you think it is.

Also, percentages of health are potent, yes, but extremely OP against bosses, meaning they'll all be immune to it.

Do you really think +6 (+12 if PvP doubles DoT debuffs like everything else) is really going to matter in a fight where weapons have 200+ dps, anyway?

This is a good way to give Flasks a reason to exist! But I'd actually be fine with extending the DPSPS to just Poison and Venom. The others can get a flat increase, and possibly other unique effects as well... Lecic, you probably know what I'm talking about.

In all honesty, I'd rather get rid of DoTs altogether. The only relevant debuff is Ichor as it increases DPS to asburd levels and all the other debuffes could rather have a beneficial debuff that makes it easier to deal with NPCs rather than a dps increase of 4 per enemy affected, which is enough to tickle every enemy in the game except for slimes. I don't see why you would make the dps output of a DoT quadratic and make balancing rather confusing when you could just make it depend on the weapon's damage, make them stackable or give a really specific DoT to every weapon that has such effect.

Do you really think +6 (+12 if PvP doubles DoT debuffs like everything else) is really going to matter in a fight where weapons have 200+ dps, anyway?

You do realise that's actually the point I've been trying to make?

If DoTs are never going to be viable in the late game, get rid of the DoT effects of the debuffs altogether. Make Frostburn slow them down, make On fire! confuse them, make the poison one reduce the potency of their attacks or something...

Lets Compare Two Different Debuffs the
Ichor_%28debuff%29.png
Cursed_Inferno.png
and there are two differences between ichor and cursed flames debuff, they are get in same way but with crimson you go with ichor if corruption you get cursed flames
-Ichor is more effective
-Ichor Flasks are used by melees in events
-Cursed flames are more LESS efective
-no one uses cursed flames (not me in case)
-most enemies are immune to cursed flames :sigh: (bad luck to corruption guys)
-if dot is added to cursed flames like this suggesion the ichor and cursed flames will be like same tier :D
-also like @Kazzymodus said they are more effective at PVP (because alot of npcs are immune to cursed flames but like the wiki said not the events npcs) ,but most players dont play in multiplayer :cool:,so this suggestion will make
Cursed_Inferno.png
more useful in events.

Back
Top Bottom