Items An easy way to give Spooky Wood more uses

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
This suggestion is about fully integrating Spooky Wood as a summoner material like Bee Wax and Spider Fangs are, and give it more uses in general.

I'll jump right into how I propose to do that.

Spooky_Wings.png

Spooky Wings
Now crafted with Spooky Wood instead of a Spooky Twig.
Recipe:
Spooky_Wood.png
Spooky Wood (200)
Cobweb.png
Cobwebs (50)
Soul_of_Flight.png
Souls of Flight (20)
@ a Hardmode Anvil.

"But that would make the Spooky Twig useless-"
Hold on that thought.

Now for the Summoning bit.

Raven_Staff.png

Raven Staff
Now crafted with Spooky Wood and Raven Feathers.
Recipe:
Feather.png
Raven Feathers
Spooky_Wood.png
Spooky Wood (300)
@ a Work Bench.

Raven Feathers would drop from Pumpking in place of the Raven Staff. They can also be used to craft Raven Wings.

Raven_Wings.png

Raven Wings
Raven_Wings_Anim.gif

Raven_Wing-Sheet.png
(I personally imagine these as something @Crowno would wear. :p)
Recipe:
Feather.png
Raven Feathers
Soul_of_Flight.png
Souls of Flight (20)
@ a Hardmode Anvil.

And now for a new use for the Spooky Twig to make up for the Wings change.

Mournful Staff
*Sentry summon (like the Frost Hydra).
Summons a miniature Mourning Wood that shoots Flaming Spikes and Greek Fire at enemies.
Flaming Spikes can penetrate one enemy each.
Greek Fire lingers causing damage over time.​
33 Summon damage.
Recipe:
Spooky_Twig.png
Spooky Twig
Spooky_Wood.png
Spooky Wood (450)
@ a Work Bench.

That's it for the suggestion. Feedback is appreciated! :happy:

Last edited:
Is the mournful staff a turret like the frost hydra? If so, full support.

What if you could craft spooky wood into stakes for the stake launcher? That would both save rangers money (they have no practical use for spooky wood) and give it another, consumable use.

Edit: Just noticed the link on the mournful staff. Looks great :p

Is the mournful staff a turret like the frost hydra? If so, full support.
Yes it is.
What if you could craft spooky wood into stakes for the stake launcher? That would both save rangers money (they have no practical use for spooky wood) and give it another, consumable use.
Problem being that Stakes are even more single-purposed than Spooky Wood is. :p

Solution: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ingle-purposed-pumpkin-moon-ammunition.12022/

This does look good. From the title, I was almost expecting to see Spooky Wood integrated into equipment for other classes, but this is just as compelling. Something to note is that summoners have trouble killing the Pumpking with only their summoner weapons (if they're crazy enough to go without using some other primary weapon... some people are), so this might help those guys, a little bit. Though honestly I would still yell at them to pick up some other weapon and have at.

Raven Wings are always a nice addition, though I believe there are people out there who believe that our wings should be differentiated a little. Not like there's any shortage of wings, so I'll eventually want to see a sprite that's substantially different from dyed Angel/Leaf Wings.

Finally... tiny thing so I'll use tiny font. Traditionally, equipment is crafted at an anvil. I believe the Queen Spider Staff is crafted at a preHM anvil, but this one (Mournful Staff) could go with Mythril/Orichalcum. Just for consistency, none of it matters in terms of balance.

Raven Wings are always a nice addition, though I believe there are people out there who believe that our wings should be differentiated a little. Not like there's any shortage of wings, so I'll eventually want to see a sprite that's substantially different from dyed Angel/Leaf Wings.
I'll poke @Zoomo and see if he responds. :p

In the meantime:
Raven Wings would look like tattered spooky bird wings. (I personally imagine them as something @Crowno would wear. :p)

Finally... tiny thing so I'll use tiny font. Traditionally, equipment is crafted at an anvil. I believe the Queen Spider Staff is crafted at a preHM anvil, but this one (Mournful Staff) could go with Mythril/Orichalcum. Just for consistency, none of it matters in terms of balance.
Spooky Armor is crafted at a Work Bench. Material consistency > Equipment consistency.

Spooky Armor is crafted at a Work Bench. Material consistency > Equipment consistency.
...funny, it IS crafted at a Work Bench. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, though, so maybe changing the Spooky Armor's crafting station to the Anvil might be worth adding to the OP.

Debating about something so minor is my way of complimenting you for making a suggestion that otherwise has no weaknesses :dryadtongue:

...funny, it IS crafted at a Work Bench. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, though, so maybe changing the Spooky Armor's crafting station to the Anvil might be worth adding to the OP.
It's wood though. It would be weirder if Spooky Wood Armor required an Anvil to craft when Spooky Furniture and every other Wood item in the game is crafted either at a Work Bench or a Sawmill. Material consistency expands beyond Spooky Wood itself.
Debating about something so minor is my way of complimenting you for making a suggestion that otherwise has no weaknesses :dryadtongue:
I'm flattered by the gesture! :passionate:

Why not have other Pumpking, and even Mourning Wood, drops crafted similarly? Although, perhaps Raven Feathers might not be the ideal material if this were the case. I think it would be nice to have a boss that drops crafting materials as opposed to actual items, because it makes grinding less of a PITA.

Umm, I would suggest making the Raven feather have a different drop table from other Pumpking drops. That way, I don't have to risk myself while killing Huge Pumpkins.

Umm, I would suggest making the Raven feather have a different drop table from other Pumpking drops. That way, I don't have to risk myself while killing Huge Pumpkins.
What do you mean? It is an item that when used allows you to build the raven staff, it shouldn't have the drop table changed.

oh not bad I like the additions
I still have my own idea on the spooky equipment which involves the crafting of a melee(sword), ranged(bow), and staff(magic) which would inflict a debuff that would have the affect of making minions target the enemies they hit(and adding a small damage boost for summoner weapons against them), This would mainly be to help out summoners by giving them an option to control their minions and do some damage on their own something I feel summoners are lacking. feel free to use it as you have beaten me to the punch!

Back
Top Bottom