tModLoader Basic Elemental Additions

Sharkboy98

Wall of Flesh
This mod was created with the use of the Elemental Weapon Enhancements Mod
You must download this, as a base, for Basic Elemental Additions to work.

FEATURES:
Adds 10 elemental types that have a chance to spawn when obtaining a weapon.
These elements have various effects, such as adding more damage or debuffing enemies.

!!!! Important Note !!!!!
Use the Chronic Shifter to set the correct elemental damage on weapons. Currently, the damage range isn't working right when the element is first put on a weapon.
Using the Chronic Shifter will fix it.
To do this, put your item into Item Slot 1, and right click the Chronic Shifter.
(Since this is technically a debug item, you could keep on changing the value. So if you want to be fair, the best way would be to choose to only generate a new damage value once, and then stick with what you get.)

Current elemental types:
Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Thunder, Ice, Toxic, Void, Aether, Giga

Common:

Earth: Ichors enemies, but the element has very low damage.
Cl2HxSv.png

Water: Gives mana based on damage dealt.
7449bzf.png

Fire: Sets enemies on fire!
sJl4bnv.png

Air: Increased knockback.
ufzKtpV.png

Uncommon:

Thunder: Can confuse enemies, and electrifies them. High damage.
akNt23t.png

Ice: Chills enemies with chance to freeze or frostburn.
5G54bFL.png

Toxic: Will either poison or venom enemies.
DDnPgLs.png

Rare:

Void: Inflicts shadowflame and slowness.
nAdDRgw.png

Aether: Regenerates both health and mana based on damage dealt.
BeAZ1lN.png

Giga: No special effect, but can have huge damage.
cWyTIx5.png

Update 0.2.0:
- Reworked element damage calculation, much less op
in late-game with higher damage weapons
- Damage maxes out at a set value per element,
strong elements have a higher cap than others
- Damage cap for most elements is 40; high damage
elements is 50; very-high damage elements is 80
- Toxic element can now deal high damage
- Nerfed Thunder elemental effect
- Nerfed Giga element damage
- Buffed Ice elemental effect
- Buffed Water elemental effect
- Buffed Aether elemental effect

Download in the Mod Browser! Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Huh, thats nice. I like the special effects of elements. If my laptop didt pag so horribly i would certainly play this :D

Looks interesting. Will add that to my modpack.
You might want to add a downloadlink here for the case that the modbrowser isn`t working like it does sometimes.

now all these elemental mods need are enemies that react to the elements (like earth based enemies take less damage from thunder weapons, etc).

If you want to take the time to iterate over the hundreds if not thousands of npcs for each custom element, go ahaid.
hmm, maybe something like hiccups prefixes for enemies mod? so that enemies will be assigned a random element, making the hassle far lower?
(i wasnt trying to be rude or complain that there isnt any mods that added elemental enemies btw)

hmm, maybe something like hiccups prefixes for enemies mod? so that enemies will be assigned a random element, making the hassle far lower?
(i wasnt trying to be rude or complain that there isnt any mods that added elemental enemies btw)
It'd be cool if his mod dynamically does that if this mod is enabled.

This looks really cool. But a question
With damage, is it a direct addon to the original damage?
Also, is the damage based on a percentage of the damage the weapon normally does?

Also, is the damage based on a percentage of the damage the weapon normally does?
The new damage is additive to the regular damage. And yes, it's based off of that unless the mod changes it (which is possible)

Now we just need a dynamic difficulty mod so we can run mods like this without making the game too easy (even on expert!)

Been following this new element system mod for a while, looks super cool and promising!

Yes, the elemental damage simply adds onto the weapon's damage. And yes, the element damage is a percentage of the weapon's damage, with some using higher or lower percentage ranges.

Now we just need a dynamic difficulty mod so we can run mods like this without making the game too easy (even on expert!)

Been following this new element system mod for a while, looks super cool and promising!
Do you feel like the elements give too much extra damage? I've been testing it out mostly in the early-game, so I'm not sure how balanced it is at a later point. If it starts to get op late-game, I could always use an inverse exponential scale instead of a linear one, to try and even it out as weapons get more damage.

Do you feel like the elements give too much extra damage? I've been testing it out mostly in the early-game, so I'm not sure how balanced it is at a later point. If it starts to get op late-game, I could always use an inverse exponential scale instead of a linear one, to try and even it out as weapons get more damage.

The thing is that the elements, no matter what you do them, are literally a flat out damage increase with absolutely no real downside. They're amazing, the system is amazing, but currently they just make the game easier as a whole by nature.

I think if the bonus damage capped out at around 25%, and if there was a decent downside to each element, then maybe I could see this mod being a bit more than a flat buff to our characters with a unique concept. :p

The thing is that the elements, no matter what you do them, are literally a flat out damage increase with absolutely no real downside. They're amazing, the system is amazing, but currently they just make the game easier as a whole by nature.

I think if the bonus damage capped out at around 25%, and if there was a decent downside to each element, then maybe I could see this mod being a bit more than a flat buff to our characters with a unique concept. :p
Modders could implement 'custom ways' to achieve elements. I will try to implement stuff like that

Modders could implement 'custom ways' to achieve elements. I will try to implement stuff like that
Sounds interesting!

The damage does make the game easier, so I guess the point of getting an element is to just help push you along the game a little bit easier. It does seem to get a bit excessive, so maybe I could work on limiting just how much extra damage you can get.

A few extra quirks you can add to the elements:

Earth is heavy, rough, hard, and most importantly stiff. It bends for no one and can only be slowly changed with time and effort, a mountain. Following this logic, holding a weapon with the Earth Element should increase your defense while held and give a resistance to knockback (not inmunity). On the other hand, the weapon should havemuch slower swing speed as well as directly reduce the players movement speed and jump height.

Water is fluid, mobile, humid, cool. It follows a cycle over and over for all eternity. Regardless of shape, form or distance travelled, someday it will return to its origin. As such, the water element should follow a similar path regarding the effect on the weapon. First dealing damage with the weapon to charge, the second swing increases the size and damage of the weapon temporarily, the third swing returns the weapon to normal size and showers the player in water slightly recovering his Mana. Additionally, holding a water element weapon acts as if the player is holding the breathing reed, effectively allowing the player to claim underwater batyles as his forté. However, water is very easily scattered with a decisive blow, as such while using water weapons if you take damage your defense is cumulatively reduced as you continue to take damage. The risk of water's utility.

Fire is explosive, burning, dangerous, lethal even. Fire has always been compared to glass cannons in one way or another, always putting at risk the wielder as much as the enemy. As such fire weapons should cause a small explosion upon contact which deals AoE damage to a medium size area while inflicting the On Fire debuff to all entities within range, including the player. A high risk weapon that can destroy crowds of enemies if the player us willing to bet his life as well.

Wind is fast, ever moving, ever free... Wind is one force of nature thats a bit dificult to master due to its free will and personality. A gentle breeze or a thunderous tempest all within a moments notice. Wind weapons should have a random effect related to knockback upon swing, such as pushing foes away, throwing them in the air or eve pulling them towards you. Whether you can master a weapon with these effects is a guess. Additionally, opposing earths stat effects, holding a wind weapon could increase movement while lowering the weapons damage. This makes these weapons more "control" and less "destroy".

A few extra quirks you can add to the elements:

Earth is heavy, rough, hard, and most importantly stiff. It bends for no one and can only be slowly changed with time and effort, a mountain. Following this logic, holding a weapon with the Earth Element should increase your defense while held and give a resistance to knockback (not inmunity). On the other hand, the weapon should havemuch slower swing speed as well as directly reduce the players movement speed and jump height.

Water is fluid, mobile, humid, cool. It follows a cycle over and over for all eternity. Regardless of shape, form or distance travelled, someday it will return to its origin. As such, the water element should follow a similar path regarding the effect on the weapon. First dealing damage with the weapon to charge, the second swing increases the size and damage of the weapon temporarily, the third swing returns the weapon to normal size and showers the player in water slightly recovering his Mana. Additionally, holding a water element weapon acts as if the player is holding the breathing reed, effectively allowing the player to claim underwater batyles as his forté. However, water is very easily scattered with a decisive blow, as such while using water weapons if you take damage your defense is cumulatively reduced as you continue to take damage. The risk of water's utility.

Fire is explosive, burning, dangerous, lethal even. Fire has always been compared to glass cannons in one way or another, always putting at risk the wielder as much as the enemy. As such fire weapons should cause a small explosion upon contact which deals AoE damage to a medium size area while inflicting the On Fire debuff to all entities within range, including the player. A high risk weapon that can destroy crowds of enemies if the player us willing to bet his life as well.

Wind is fast, ever moving, ever free... Wind is one force of nature thats a bit dificult to master due to its free will and personality. A gentle breeze or a thunderous tempest all within a moments notice. Wind weapons should have a random effect related to knockback upon swing, such as pushing foes away, throwing them in the air or eve pulling them towards you. Whether you can master a weapon with these effects is a guess. Additionally, opposing earths stat effects, holding a wind weapon could increase movement while lowering the weapons damage. This makes these weapons more "control" and less "destroy".
Wow, now that sounds really awesome! Unfortunately, I don't have access to much of the player hooks as I honestly just made this mod in a couple hours for personal use but decided to post it if others wanted to play with it as well. So what I'm saying is, if I actually knew how to add all of those features to the mod, I totally would. There are some great ideas you threw out there that could be improved and expanded upon, so if I ever get around to learning more about how TModLoader works I would definitely see what I can do with it.

Wow, now that sounds really awesome! Unfortunately, I don't have access to much of the player hooks as I honestly just made this mod in a couple hours for personal use but decided to post it if others wanted to play with it as well. So what I'm saying is, if I actually knew how to add all of those features to the mod, I totally would. There are some great ideas you threw out there that could be improved and expanded upon, so if I ever get around to learning more about how TModLoader works I would definitely see what I can do with it.
It isn't difficult to implement such things.

Back
Top Bottom