Weapons & Equip Better Pre 1.2 Hardmode Ore Armor

What do you like about this thread?

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Once upon a time, there was a thread. It got some of the most feedback I've ever had on a thread. It was great.
Oh wait? You thought the thread was great? No no no. It was one of the worst I've ever made.
NTRODUCTION

If you've been playing terraria and ever reached hardmode, you know what it feels like to not get any of the new early hardmode ores such as pallidium, orichalcum, and titanium. It sucks. While the 1.2 ore armors and tools have epic set bonuses, and pre 1.2 ores and armors have only upgraded stats in terms of setbonus. Thats why I am giving all pre 1.2 armors their very own set bonuses!

COBALT

To start these set bonuses off with a bang, i'm giving cobalt an amazing new set bonus! This set bonus is that whenever the player kills a monster, they will move 1.5x times their normal speed. They can kill up to 3 monsters, and when they do the player can be up to 4.5x faster. This effect wears off after 6 seconds. However, it can refresh itself if the player kills another enemy.
MYTHRIL

The second new set of armor I am giving a set bonus to is the mythril armor set. This bonus is that when the player strikes the same enemy 3 times in a maximum of 5 seconds, the player will gain a buff called "Smite!" which will caused everything the player hits within the next 5 seconds to be a critical strike. If the player does not kill aything before the buff ends, then the buff will be disabled until the player hits another enemy 3 times. The player has to strike one enemy 3 times so that the player can't just kill a bunny and go on a rampage.
ADAMANTITE

The third and final armor set I am giving a brand new bonus to is adamantite armor! The set bonus for the adamantite armor is that when an entire suit of adamantite armor is worn, an effect will be caused that makes your attack power and crital chance go up by .1, meaning for every heart lost, you do 1% more attack damage and have a 2% higher crital strike chance. For example, if the player has lost 5 hearts, they will have 5% more attack power, and 10% higher chance of getting a critical strike. But as a downside, the less health that the player has, the less defense the player has.
EPILOGUE

I hope that you have enjoyed the 3 new setbonuses for the cobalt, mythril, and adamantite armor! If you have any ideas, nerfs, changes, or comments, please post them in the section below. :3

The thread itself is right here

[http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/restoring-pre-1-2-early-hardmode-armors.155810/]

And if you go through and read this and think 'Gee well that wasn't so bad'(Fat chance) you don't know how many changes it went through.

So thats what this thread is for. A chance to redeem the horrors of that thread by doing it professionally this time!

Cobalt
Cobalt_Bar.png

The current set bonuses depends on the helmet.
Cobalt_Hat.png
The cobalt hat increases your maximum mana by 40 and gives you a 9% increased magic critical strike chance.
Cobalt_Helmet.png
The cobalt helmet gives you 7% increased movement speed and gives you 12% increased melee speed.
Cobalt_Mask.png
The cobalt mask gives you 10% increased ranged damage and 6% increased ranged critical strike chance.

Those are fine as they are, but I think we need a little something extra. Lets have it so that every time you hit 5 hostile enemies within, say, a minute, the player will become something similar to a tesla coil. For 10 seconds, the player will gain a buff that causes them to shoot out blue electric zaps from their body every second. These zaps will target enemies within a 20 block radius of the player, do 18 damage, and can not travel through blocks. You can't recharge the buff while you have it, or for a few seconds after it is activated.

Mythril
Mythril_Bar.png

The current set bonuses depends on your helmet.
Mythril_Hat.png
The mythril hat gives you a 7% increased ranged critical strike chance and 12% increased ranged damage.
Mythril_Helmet.png
The mythril helmet gives you a 5% increased melee critical strike chance and 10% increased melee damage.
Mythril_Hood.png
The mythril hood gives you increases your maximum mana by 60 and gives you 15% increased magic damage

For the mythril armor, with every enemy you kill you gain an extra 3% critical strike chance to the weapon that you are using. (Sniper Rifle users be like 'AW HELL YEH!'.)
It caps off after you kill 15 enemies and gain a 45% higher critical strike chance. It will drop one level (3%) after 5 seconds of not hitting a monster, but will maintain itself whenever you hit a hostile enemy.

Adamantite
Adamantite_Bar.png

The current set bonuses depends on your helmet.
Adamantite_Mask.png
The adamantite mask gives you 14% increased ranged damage and 8% increased ranged critical strike chance.
Adamantite_Helmet.png
The adamantite helmet gives you a 7% increased melee critical strike chance and 14% increased melee damage.
Adamantite_Headgear.png
The adamantite headgear increases your maximum mana by 80 and gives you 11% increased magic damage and critical strike chance.

For adamantite armor I was thinking that when you kill an enemy a bubble would appear around you. When a monster hits you, some of the damage is absorbed by the bubble and delt to the monster, upon which the bubble pops and disappears, pushing back all monsters in the area. The bubble has 4 stages. The bubble grows in size from just big enough to fit around the player, to a size slightly bigger than the beach ball is. Here is a chart to describe the stages of the bubble, and the color of the bubble.
  • Stage 1 : The bubble will absorb 30 damage when popped. Deals 55 damage to the enemy that attacked. Does not emit light.
  • Stage 2 : The bubble will absorb 60 damage when popped. Deals 80 damage to the enemy that attacked. Emits very low light level.
  • Stage 3 : The bubble will absorb 95 damage when popped. Deals 110 damage to the enemy that attacked. Emits a medium light level.
  • Stage 4 : The bubble will absorb 130 damage when popped. Deals 160 damage to the enemy that attacked. Emits a high light level.
130 Damage Absorbed? Seems like a lot right? Well it is, but wait, what does titanium armor have again? Oh yeah, you become fully immune after striking an enemy, and in addition to that, deal up to 160 damage! I think this is pretty well balanced against full invincibility after only striking an enemy.

I hope that you have enjoyed reading the article that I have put up for you, it took a lot of time to pull together the stats and sprites, as well as smoothing out the thread to make it enjoyable and easy to read. If you liked it, send me some feedback and like the thread!

There are some more threads of mine down below! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, these are pretty neat. However, I do worry sometimes, because this is a fairly common topic for people (like me) to make threads about, and people might get the false impression that no one's attempted buffing these armors before... I do wish there was a dedicated thread for cobalt/mythril/adamantite.

Not for lack of trying on my part, either.

Last edited:
It seems... Interesting. I like the idea, but I feel like maybe it should be something different, and tbh, I'm not entirely sure why. Hmmm... I'll let you know when I think of something at 2 AM.

Out of all the rebalances for pre-1.2 hardmode ore sets, this is probably one of the better ones. The abilities are balanced, clever, and would definitely make me want to use the old armor again.

*thumbs up*

I believe the set bonus for cobalt is deserving of a different set of armor. However, the adamantite is a DEFINITE yes from me, considering how much I hate getting adamantite instead of titanium on my worlds because of the stupid OP titanium armor buff.

sounds pretty good. Personally i think because mithril is light it would seem thematically appropriate for a speed buff, maybe like the crit chance buff but 2% (ie +30% speed and +45% crit at max) but drain a bit faster.
Adamantite being based on getting kills would make it not that good for bosses, how about bubbles generate over time (ie dodging) or damage dealt, so it's a bit better for bossfights, and maybe reduce the power of it a little bit (ie 130 down to 100, 160 down to 150).

Am I the only one that prefers the old ones? I just feel outright stat buffs are much better then SPARKLE HEALY DODGEY MAGIC ILLUMINATI every 30 seconds after killing an enemy. And Cobalt armor is the coolest thing in the entire game with the ranger hat.

Am I the only one that prefers the old ones? I just feel outright stat buffs are much better then SPARKLE HEALY DODGEY MAGIC ILLUMINATI every 30 seconds after killing an enemy. And Cobalt armor is the coolest thing in the entire game with the ranger hat.
Only think that is cobalt ranger set have Mask, not hat.

Do you think you really prefer old set bonuses?

Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite armors have worst set bonus for rangers and mages. It is really bad stat to beggin hardmode with to my opinion. I don't think "change to not consume ammo" and "-#% mana usage" is somehow usefull.
I don't think it should be set bonus, and change to not cunsume ammo should be rather weapon's and helmet's stat.
I don't count these useless stats and stats.

Maybe these armors have better stat, but only to warriors/melee users.

Back
Top Bottom