Game Mechanics Boss Bars

Beezwax&Nectar

The Destroyer
Here is my very small suggestion: Boss bars!

Boss bars will appear down in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. It would show the name of the boss, an Icon of the boss from the minimap, the amount of health it has left, and the maximum health of the boss. If there are any events going on while fighting the boss, they will appear above the event’s progress bar.

index.png
Thank you again, @Coldshot Boostar, you're the best!

When multiple bosses are alive, the boss bar would show the most currently attacked boss. For example: if the Ice Queen and SantaNK1 are both alive, and you are attacking the ice queen, it would show the Ice queen's boss bar. This would apply to both spazmatism and retinaser.

These can be turned off the same way that the event progress bars can.

The dungeon guardian would not have a boss bar, because you would always be able to know how much health he has. Also, he isn't technically a boss.

The lunar towers would show how many enemies are needed to bring down the shields

Bosses would show “enraged” in front of their name when they are enraged.

When full, boss bars would appear green. They would slowly turn to yellow, then to red as their health goes down. It would act like health bars on all enemies, but in your HUD.

The boss bar would disappear when the boss is defeated, or has despawned.

Why should this be added? It would make it much easier to tell how long you have to defeat the boss you’re fighting, you would be able to tell how much health the boss has without having to mouse over them. It can also help you when you face bosses that move around a lot, or are off screen a lot of the time (like the wall of flesh).

A question asked by Felis
Just say, what will happen for a boss with more than one part? Like the Moon Lord or Skeletron?

It would show the total health of the boss. For the moon lord, it would show the total health left in his three eyes. They would appear as the first boss bar. When the three eyes are gone, a new boss bar would appear, showing his heart.

As for skeletron and skeletron prime, their hands would not have a boss bar. Only their face would have a boss bar

Thank you for reading this!

Last edited:
Even though Health Bars appear for bosses as small scale and focused on the boss. Nothing shouts the appearance of a boss like a dedicated boss bar can. It can be difficult to follow the small health bars of bosses as the fight continues.

It looks like Boss Segments are covered. I'd recommend the Boss Health Bar to also show the Name of the Boss along with the number values (Current HP/Max HP) above the health bar. This would make it much easier to see how Bosses scale in Expert Mode, and I'm personally curious to see how much health bosses get when there are 10+ players.

If multiple bosses are summoned, the individual boss bars will be small enough to not clutter the user interface?

Even though Health Bars appear for bosses as small scale and focused on the boss. Nothing shouts the appearance of a boss like a dedicated boss bar can. It can be difficult to follow the small health bars of bosses as the fight continues.

It looks like Boss Segments are covered. I'd recommend the Boss Health Bar to also show the Name of the Boss along with the number values (Current HP/Max HP) above the health bar. This would make it much easier to see how Bosses scale in Expert Mode, and I'm personally curious to see how much health bosses get when there are 10+ players.

If multiple bosses are summoned, the individual boss bars will be small enough to not clutter the user interface?

I changed the thread to state that the boss bars show the health and name, and that changed how multiple bosses work. Thanks for your feedback!

Just say, what will happen for a boss with more than one part? Like the Moon Lord or Skeletron?

It would show the total health of the boss. For the moon lord, it would show the total health left in his three eyes. They would appear as the first boss bar. When the three eyes are gone, a new boss bar would appear, showing his heart.

As for skeletron, his hands would have a separate boss bar from his skull. It would act like they are two different bosses

At first I thought this was a redundant suggestion, but OH GOD YES PLEASE. Getting a proper bead on the Moon Lord's health in particular is pretty difficult.

what if there are more bosses? like on a server the plugin spawns 4 skeletrons and a frost moon.It would probably cover the entire screen causing people to die in a fast way

what if there are more bosses? like on a server the plugin spawns 4 skeletrons and a frost moon.It would probably cover the entire screen causing people to die in a fast way
When multiple bosses are alive, the boss bar would show the most currently attacked boss. For example: if the Ice Queen and SantaNK1 are both alive, and you are attacking the ice queen, it would show the Ice queen's boss bar. This would apply to both spazmatism and retinaser.

Instead of being in the bottom right just sticking there , why not make it adjustable by the players ? That way people can adjust the bar however they want , this can also be implemented in the event bars.
That's a good idea! I'll add it when I'm in a place where my internet doesn't suck as much

I support this suggestion, though I would advise a few changes.

As it stands, having multi-segmented bosses share a health bar seems like a viable idea, though in practice, it would only apply to one boss - the Eater of Worlds - by virtue of the fact that all of its segments must be defeated in order to claim victory over it.

Thus, for all other multi-segmented bosses which do not necessitate the termination of their sub-parts, I suggest that there be a main health bar for the main body of the boss, and separate, smaller, less prominent health bars for any sub-segments the boss may possess - these can be placed to the left and the right of the main health bar.

As it stands, having multi-segmented bosses share a health bar seems like a viable idea, though in practice, it would only apply to one boss - the Eater of Worlds - by virtue of the fact that all of its segments must be defeated in order to claim victory over it.

As for skeletron and skeletron prime, their hands would not have a boss bar. Only their face would have a boss bar

Back
Top Bottom