NPCs & Enemies Boss: Gemisis

Ptzery

Empress of Light
Whoa! Looks like it's a suggestion, better at least try to think this one through.

Whoa, (Ok, no more whoas, that's getting old.) a boss called Gemisis, I wonder what this is?
Why, it's a Boss you summon by finding a load of gems and mashing them together to make an item you hold up in front of you and then the item disappears!
I didn't know that, thanks for the helpful tips other me!
No problem original version of me!

Anyways, yeah, Gemisis is basically a late pre-hardmode boss, and I'll go over a load of stuff in this. I appreciate all feedback, and any suggestions to improve this, as there's pretty much always room for improvement.

You can craft the Evil Gemspark Flag at a Hellforge to summon Gemisis, for which the crafting recipe is:

1 Amethyst, 1 Topaz, 1 Sapphire, 1 Emerald, 1 Ruby, 1 Diamond, 2 Iron Bars, 4 Silk, 5 Hellstone Bars

Thought I'd make it cheap (gem-wise) so you didn't have to mine-grind too much (booooring).
You can fight Gemisis at night or day, so no time restrictions. There's no real biome restriction either, but I'll get to that later.
Even though Gemisis has no imapct on the actual progression of the game, fighting it before you face the WoF might be a good idea, considering its drop table is pretty handy.

First Form:

index.php

At max health, which is 6000, Gemisis has a defense of 10, and a melee damage of 25. It's attack pattern is to charge once like an enchanted sword (without the whole spinning buisness), then hover slightly above the player as it...

...Shoots Amethyst, Ruby and Topaz gems in a spread of 3, similar to the shotgun, each gem doing 20 damage, and do so every second for 5 seconds. (Changes back and forth between each of the three gems as in appearance.)
...Creates a Shield of Sapphires around itself and starts chasing after the player like a demon eye for 10 seconds, and the shield will do 35 damage on contact.
...Shoots homing Emeralds towards the player, every half of a second for 5 seconds, dealing 15 damage, moving about as fast as a player without any movement speed upgrades, or, an alternate example could be a newly spawned player.
...Spawns 5 little flying Diamond minions called "Deadly Diamonds", each with a max health of 25 and 0 defense, with a Flying AI (Similar to hornets), dealing 17 damage on contact, and inflicting you with the slowness debuff for 3 seconds. Meanwhile Gemisis rapidly flies in large circles around the player, making it tougher to combat the Diamonds. Gemisis will continue flying around the player until all the diamonds have been defeated.

Second Form:

index.php

After Gemisis enter it's second form (at 3000 health), things start to get worse. It's attacks get a whole lot stronger... or more confusing, and it gets more defense (16) to top it off.
The attack pattern now is that Gemisis will charge twice at the player while spinning, increasing the melee damage to 35, and all the first form attacks get buffed:

• The Amethysts do 25 damage, The Rubies travel slightly faster and the Topazes bounce once.
  • Instead of moving like a demon eye while having the Sapphire shield, Gemisis now moves like the Prime Vice used by Skeletron Prime.
  • Emeralds now get shot out for 10 seconds.
  • Deadly Diamonds now come in groups of ten, do 20 damage and inflict slowness for 5 seconds.

Rage Mode:

index.php

When Gemisis goes under 500 health, it goes in to rage mode, where it constantly charges at players while rapidly shooting random gems that do 23 damage, basically a Phoenix Blaster but then with gems.

When you summon Gemisis in the Corruption, it's health goes up to 7000 and it's defense goes up to 20 in the first form, making it slightly more defensive in the first form than the second. Despite Gemisis having more health, it will still transform into it's second form at 3000 health and Rage mode at 500 health.

Corrupted Gemisis:

index.php

If you summon Gemisis in the Crimson, Rage Mode starts at 1000 health and all of it's attacks inflict Ichor for 2 seconds. Yes, I am aware Ichor is a hardmode debuff. 2 seconds is not a lot though, and Crimson mobs are supposed to do all the damage.

Bloody Gemisis:

index.php

Despite these alternatives being harder, they give drops to improve quite a few things.

I should also note that when Gemisis is summoned when that player is in a Purity Biome and goes over to a Corruption/Crimson biome, it will not go become it's Corruption/Crimson alternative, and vice versa. This is to prevent easy loot farming by going to the Corruption/Crimson when it has low health, and people getting annoyed that they accidentally went away from the Corruption/Crimson and not getting what they wanted to get.

100% - Gold Coin (5)

100% - Healing Potion (5-15)

20% - Gemspark Sword: A projectile sword that shoots out gem projectiles, has a fast speed, and does 36 melee damage.

20% - Diamond Summoning Staff: Summons a Diamond that flies around to fight for you, doing 20 summon damage, and inflicting slowness on the target for 3 seconds.

20% - Gem Gun: Uses Gems as ammo, has a fast speed and does 10 base ranged damage. Gem damage listings in a spoiler at the end of this spoiler to make it decent. Has a 50% chance to not consume ammo by default.

20% - Black Gemspark Staff - A strong version of the gem staves, costing 12 mana, firing at a fast speed, dealing 42 magic damage and piercing 3 times.

20% - Spelunking Charm - Accessory that gives the ability to see gems, life crystals, life fruits and ores like a spelunker potion.

100% (Corruption) - Shadgem - Material: Can be used to enhance Gemisis' drops.

Dark Gemspark Sword - Upgrades to 40 damage and Autoswing.

Shadiamond Summoning Staff - The diamond has a bit of a purple-ish hue, and moves around 30% faster.

Shady Gem Gun - Gets an upgraded 60% chance to not consume ammo

Corrupted Gemspark Staff - Costs 10 mana instead of 12, and gives the projectile a slight homing ability (3 blocks)

100% (Crimson) - Crimgem - Material: Can be used to enhanced Gemisis' drops.

Bloodstained Gemspark Sword - Makes the sword bigger, Has a bit of blood coming off it.

Bloodiamond summoning staff - The diamond has a crimson hue, and inflicts slowness for 5 seconds.

Gory Gem Gun - Increases velocity of bullets, and upgrades the base damage to 15.

Crimson Gemspark staff - Increases the size and velocity of the projectile and upgrades to a very fast firing speed.

15% - Gem Crown - Vanity item, Basically a crown with a few gems on it.

14.29% - Gemisis Mask

10% - Gemisis Trophy

Gore:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Amethyst - 15
Topaz - 17
Sapphire - 20
Emerald - 25
Ruby - 30
Diamond - 40
Amber - 35, Always inflicts the Slowness debuff

Lots of the credits to @TerrariaFanSpriter for all the sprites, and I guess to me for coming up with the idea? And pretty much everyone who helped me improve I guess... I'm not good at credits, am I? Well, who cares. Credit all over the place.

Last edited:
Okay, not a bad thread, but let me suggest and point out a few things to help you along. :)
First off, you should probably add something to gate this thing until late prehardmode, such as hellstone.
You should make the spelunking charm more useful. It may be infinite, but the spelunker potion easily outranks it in cost. Perhaps it could somehow show the player where gems and heart crystals are, even offscreen, maybe with some kind of glowing arrow.
You should also raise the damage of the black gemspark staff to 40 or so.
Please elaborate on the appearance of it. I kind of thought of a big rock covered in sparkling crystals.
Otherwise, its a fun idea. :D

Okay, not a bad thread, but let me suggest and point out a few things to help you along. :)
First off, you should probably add something to gate this thing until late prehardmode, such as hellstone.
You should make the spelunking charm more useful. It may be infinite, but the spelunker potion easily outranks it in cost. Perhaps it could somehow show the player where gems and heart crystals are, even offscreen, maybe with some kind of glowing arrow.
You should also raise the damage of the black gemspark staff to 40 or so.
Please elaborate on the appearance of it. I kind of thought of a big rock covered in sparkling crystals.
Otherwise, its a fun idea. :D

Thanks for the feedback, glad you think it's fun :)

I'll add something to make it late pre-hardmode, Trying to avoid hellstone, because that's very darn late, but I could go for something slightly earlier on, Like in the Dungeon or something (Mainly because I never bother with the Jungle because I hate the mobs there unless I'm doing a mage playthrough. (Yeah, I know I need the Blade of Grass to get the Night's Edge, but I can deal with that later), but that's just me, and maybe I might be wrong.)
Edit: Went for hellstone anyway, cuz drops are pretty OP for earlier than that.

As for the spelunking charm, Yeah, it's easily outranked by the spelunker potion, but making an arrow go offscreen might make it very OP. Nevertheless, it needs to be that OP, as it's late pre-hardmode and you may or may not still need it, so to make it more useful I might include Life Fruits and maybe even ores, I mean... we have permanent gills in neptune's shell.

I agree that the Black Gemspark Staff should do more damage, as it's outclassed by the water bolt and book of skulls too easily otherwise.

But yeah, that's about it, I'm gonna go edit some stuff in the OP, and try to give a (slight) picture of what the boss looks like.
So yeah. That's the end of this post.

Last edited:
I recommend you to remove diamond from the recipe. Or at least buff the boss to hardmode. Why? I NEVER found a diamond before hardmode. It's just too rare.

Wow... I find diamonds all the time... But I'll tell you what, Ever find those gem caves? There could be some kind of summoning thing in there, kinda like the Queen Bee, Plantera and the Eater/Brain. That might be cool.

I recommend you to remove diamond from the recipe. Or at least buff the boss to hardmode. Why? I NEVER found a diamond before hardmode. It's just too rare.
I'm not exactly interested in the suggestion(at least, not yet), but I should point out there are several PHM items already using gems in their recipes. Diamond Staff, Diamond Robe, Diamond Hook(and several others, but I'm listing useful ones for combat) all uses diamonds, and no less than eight for each recipe. That applies to the other gems too. I think you're exaggerating this a bit. It's just one diamond for the summon.

It also would make them into a renewable resource with necro armor/any other combo with ammo conservation. Sorry for not specifying the gun, it slipped my mind.

It also would make them into a renewable resource with necro armor/any other combo with ammo conservation. Sorry for not specifying the gun, it slipped my mind.
So does that mean Necro Armor and the Coin Gun would work the same way as Meteor Armor and the Space Gun? Not very clear though.

So does that mean Necro Armor and the Coin Gun would work the same way as Meteor Armor and the Space Gun? Not very clear though.
Coin gun ammo doesn't stay after being fired. I had a strange idea that might be a decent drop for the boss.

I decided to try to revive the thread for a few simple reasons, with the suggestion of the gem trees the gem gun would be a viable weapon in mid hardmode. The gem sword will be a blessing to an early hardmode melee player when going into the hallow. I recommend making it so the gems don't always be recovered after firing them from the gem gun so infinite gem farming is harder if not impossible to do with the weapon.

Last edited:
Coin gun ammo doesn't stay after being fired. I had a strange idea that might be a decent drop for the boss.

I decided to try to revive the thread for a few simple reasons, with the suggestion of the gem trees the gem gun would be a viable weapon in mid hardmode. The gem sword will be a blessing to an early hardmode melee player when going into the hallow. I recommend making it so the gems don't always be recovered after firing them from the gem gun so infinite gem farming is harder if not impossible to do with the weapon.

Yeah, the gem trees are a good addition, without them it would be very impractical to gather enough Gems for the gem gun. Although I will have to ask the creator of Gem Trees if I can use that, but hopefully that should go ok. And what do you think about an 80% chance for the gems not to be consumed, but having it cap at 90%, so there's no possibility of having a 100% chance to not consume ammo.

Back
Top Bottom