Game Mechanics Can we talk about the respawn timer?

DJFlare84

Mechanic
I've noticed that the respawn timer is pretty freaking harsh for boss fights, probably specifically to make it harder for people to get back into an ongoing fight.

And that's fine. But the problem is that the respawn timer STAYS f***tastically cruel even after everyone has died and the boss de-spawns. At that point I'm waiting just to get back into the game and prepare round-2.

Could we... could we fix that? Could there be some line of code added to the game so that when the boss de-spawns the respawn timer goes back to normal and lets you back in faster?

Wait...that's a thing?...Jeez, console players have it easy...
The downside is whenever a console player converts to PC.
The transition from a controller and instant respawning to a mouse and keyboard with a respawn timer is pretty difficult to get used to.

OT: I've played on PC once or twice, and the timer staying stupidly long even after the boss has left has annoyed me greatly during those times.

The downside is whenever a console player converts to PC.
The transition from a controller and instant respawning to a mouse and keyboard with a respawn timer is pretty difficult to get used to.

OT: I've played on PC once or twice, and the timer staying stupidly long even after the boss has left has annoyed me greatly during those times.
Aside from that, how much y'like the PC version?

I've never really had a problem with the respawn timer personally, it's just enough time to groan and flail as you watch the almost dead boss fly away. But really it's just a few extra seconds, it's not like a big problem or anything and it makes mulitplayer boss fights harder by giving the boss a chance to kill both/all players before they start respawning.

I think there should be some separate timers, something like this
(Numbers are just an example, not sure how long they currently are)

Normal Mode
Dying to fall, lava, drowning, monster etc - 10 seconds
Dying to a boss - 30 seconds > Boss dies / despawns - deduct 20 seconds of remaining timer. So if you got 8 seconds left from the 30 you will instantly respawn.

Expert Mode
Dying to fall, lava, drowning, monster etc - 10 seconds (There isnt really a need for you to stay dead longer just because its expert mode when dying to anything other then bosses.)
Dying to a boss - 1 minute > Boss dies /despawns - deduct 50 seconds of the remaining timer.

Yes, agreed that the respawn time is too long and perhaps a bit annoying. Boss has despawned, now let me respawn. I want to go back to playing! :)

Same goes for Expert mode. The enemies can take your coins, but if they're far enough away from the spawn point, they'll despawn. If they're close, they'll remain there even after the delay.

Note: This refers to single player only. Multiplayer might have different requirements.

Edit: It seems to have been made longer in 1.3, even in normal mode. Maybe they tried to balance respawning time and leaving the 'dropped coins' message there long enough to be read?
Another Edit: Items in Terraria don't disappear based on a timer, so no impact there either.

At LEAST allow you to save and exit, which would probably make the boss despawn anyway. No need to wait for that if you were planning on exiting and then got killed.

I think there should be some separate timers, something like this
(Numbers are just an example, not sure how long they currently are)

Normal Mode
Dying to fall, lava, drowning, monster etc - 10 seconds
Dying to a boss - 30 seconds > Boss dies / despawns - deduct 20 seconds of remaining timer. So if you got 8 seconds left from the 30 you will instantly respawn.

Expert Mode
Dying to fall, lava, drowning, monster etc - 10 seconds (There isnt really a need for you to stay dead longer just because its expert mode when dying to anything other then bosses.)
Dying to a boss - 1 minute > Boss dies /despawns - deduct 50 seconds of the remaining timer.
That's pretty much what I had in mind, yeah.

The enemies can take your coins, but if they're far enough away from the spawn point, they'll despawn.
That is the f***ing WORST part. Enemies can steal my coins now. Oh goodie. That wouldn't be a completely annoying mechanic if I could actually go back and slaughter them to get my coins back.

But nope. My respawn is half a mile away, so they're already despawned by the time I get back.

GG ReLogic. GG...

That is the f***ing WORST part. Enemies can steal my coins now. Oh goodie. That wouldn't be a completely annoying mechanic if I could actually go back and slaughter them to get my coins back.

But nope. My respawn is half a mile away, so they're already despawned by the time I get back.

GG ReLogic. GG...

Doesnt this only happen in expert mode? Perfectly justified in my oponion, if you wanna play something for experts you're expected to know better than carrying any significant count of coins around.
Not to mention that you can pay for items/services directly out of the piggy bank now so... why even?

Last edited:
Doesnt this only happen in expert mode? Perfectly justified in my oponion, if you wanna play something for experts you're expected to know better than carrying any significant count of numbers around.
Not to mention that you can pay for items/services directly out of the piggy bank now so... why even?
It's only sad because the idea of being able to retrieve lost coins from shiny monsters is a really neat mechanic, but the despawn defeats it.

Might as well just randomly make some of your coins vanish, in that case.

Ok, fine. The monsters can have my coins when I die. I don't really care about that. But the LONG respawn timer is the WORST feature of the game. Its so annoying, that the devs would troll us like that. I don't mind a good hard fight, expert skeletron and WoF had my blood pumping when I first downed them. But that LONG respawn time is so bad. There is no reason to do that, other than intentionally annoying your players. I hate it so much this feature alone makes me want to stop playing the game. I'm also not pleased with bosses that de-spawn when they get low on health, like the Goblin Summoner (unless that is a part of the fight mechanic). Its just a really cheap way of stealing a victory after a long hard fight.

Back
Top Bottom