Items Changing certain Yoyo's drops

ppowersteef

Paladin
I've noticed that the devs have taken the 'drop' of 'One Drop Yoyo's' way too literal.

Sure, there are quite some yoyo's that are crafted, and I don't want to remove all dropped yoyo's either,
But I'm especially talking about the real inventory clutters, those needs to be changed. and not in a way that makes them rarer. or changing their stats.

let's start it:

Cascade.png
Cascade.
Randomly dropped from underworld enemies in pre-hardmode.
...really? I don't understand this one, We got Hellstone Bars! use them!
-but it doesn't fit the color sheme of the molten tier
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Imp Staff agrees with that one.
Solutions:

• Hellstone_Bar.png
    x15 hellstone bars and eventually also some cobweb, (even though all bows also got their string somehow)
  • Hellstone_Bar.png
    x10 +
    Valor.png
    Valor, the dungeon yoyo, so it still applies the "Skeletron needs to be defeated" title.
Hel-Fire.png
Hel-Fire
Two underworld yoyo's obtained pretty soon after each other in Progress, I think this can be changed too.

• Valor.png
    +
    Living_Fire_Block.png
    x20 @
    Mythril_Anvil.png
    /
    Orichalcum_Anvil.png

I'm only a bit doubtful about the usage of living fire blocks, but using a new ingredient just for this items seems obsolete too. and there are also plenty of building blocks used to craft things for other uses than building. the mythril anvil is here to not make it possible to obtain it directly after beating WoF.
Amarok.png
Amarok
This! This one is why I make this suggestion, It's droprate is not balanced at all compared with it's power, it's just not right!
now, I've two ways of changing this unbalanced piece.

• make it a 25-33% drop from the Ice Golem. Sounds much more rewarding, isn't it?
  • Frost_Core.png
    +
    Adamantite_Bar.png
    /
    Titanium_Bar.png
    x 12 @
    Mythril_Anvil.png
    /
    Orichalcum_Anvil.png
    , in this way, you don't have to kill too much Ice golems (if RNG is annoying again) and it also becomes much more balanced.
Yelets.png
Yelets
The final yoyo that needs a change, this one is also one of the many "drops from every enemy in that biome" yoyo's
  • Turtle_Shell.png
    +
    Hallowed_Bar.png
    x 12 @
    Mythril_Anvil.png
    /
    Orichalcum_Anvil.png
    , using hallowed bars so it still keeps it rule of defeating at least one mechanical boss, it fits the color pretty well too.

And that's it for now,
Most of the others seems to have a balanced droprate, or I have no ideas to balance it yet.

Good? Bad? Other thoughts? Let me know!

Last edited:
Yeah that yelets is in desperate need of a droprate nerf, it is rediculous when you sit in the jungle for an eclipse and get like 6-7 yelets. ;_;

Perhaps Yelets could be an upgraded Amazon with chlorphyte?

Isn't the amazon a dev yoyo?

EDIT: No wait my bad I was thinking the Valkyrie Yoyo.

Thats actually a decent idea then, maybe include turtle shells in it? It looks like its made from turtle shells.

Is my luck just crazy if I have 6 Krakens? Because maybe that needs to be made a bit rarer if it isn't just my luck.

Is my luck just crazy if I have 6 Krakens? Because maybe that needs to be made a bit rarer if it isn't just my luck.
To me, I think the Kraken is as balanced as all the other hardmode dungeon weapons, I don't see the need of a change

EDIT: Updated the thread with the yelets

Last edited:
Great ideas! It makes the yo-yo progression feel more like this. "Hmm, since Amarok requires me to kill an Ice Golem now, I should probably get Chik or Hel-fire before I take him on."
One thing I could suggest though is Kraken becomes craftable, instead of random drop from Dungeon enemies. Maybe like a Valor and 10 spectre bars? Either way, this is a good idea.

Great ideas! It makes the yo-yo progression feel more like this. "Hmm, since Amarok requires me to kill an Ice Golem now, I should probably get Chik or Hel-fire before I take him on."
One thing I could suggest though is Kraken becomes craftable, instead of random drop from Dungeon enemies. Maybe like a Valor and 10 spectre bars? Either way, this is a good idea.
I'm a bit doubtful with the Kraken, as almost all hardmode dungeon loot is dropped.

hm, It might either be just 'good' luck, or the Kraken is lesser balanced than it looks like
upload_2015-9-17_15-17-3.png

from all the rare weapons, I'll get the Kraken the most, I'll take a look at the droprate, but I would suggest that it should be as rare as the Magnet Sphere.

According to the wiki, the Kraken is a 1 in 200 drop from any dungeon enemy post plantera, but it didn't seem that way when I went there last time. It was more like this for me:

Welcome to the hardmode dungeon, Have a Kraken!
Well, that was fast. I wonder how long it will take to get magnet sphere.
Want a magnet sphere? Have another Kraken!
...I already got one of these... maybe I'll get this lucky with the rest of the drops.
Got too many Krakens? Have three more Krakens!

Later I came back to get a bandage for the Ankh shield, and in the time it took to get a bandage to drop, I got at least five more Krakens before I stopped counting them. I'm pretty sure that I got one extra Kraken for every other rare drop in the dungeon.

Well, 1/200 is rare for a single enemy, but it isn't if it can be dropped from anyone.

I need to know other dungeon drops that can be obtained by killing any enemy before thinking about a balance

Well, 1/200 is rare for a single enemy, but it isn't if it can be dropped from anyone.

I need to know other dungeon drops that can be obtained by killing any enemy before thinking about a balance
I think the Kraken is the only item like that, everything else is only dropped by a specific group of enemies. (Well, I guess the wisp can spawn when any enemy is killed, but I don't know if you can balance it based on that.)

hm, It might either be just 'good' luck, or the Kraken is lesser balanced than it looks like
View attachment 77975
from all the rare weapons, I'll get the Kraken the most, I'll take a look at the droprate, but I would suggest that it should be as rare as the Magnet Sphere.
You can't outsmart RNG, ever...

No matter what drop chance there are for yoyos, they'll still fill your inventory after a while. 20 Amaroks in one short run, 30 Yelets, 10 Krakens? Because why not? I wish I had as many other items.
Also Yoyos are probably the most powerful melee weapons, especially these in late-end game.

You can't outsmart RNG, ever...

No matter what drop chance there are for yoyos, they'll still fill your inventory after a while. 20 Amaroks in one short run, 30 Yelets, 10 Krakens? Because why not? I wish I had as many other items.
Also Yoyos are probably the most powerful melee weapons, especially these in late-end game.
That's why this thread is not based on simply "reduce droprate" because I know that won't balance it in any way.

I'll think about the kraken, since I dislike making it only rarer either.

That's why this thread is not based on simply "reduce droprate" because I know that won't balance it in any way.

I'll think about the kraken, since I dislike making it only rarer either.
I know, though I forgot to quote one of the post, this wasn't completely directed to you. I'd certainly sign under this, because it's annoying to have all these. I either throw them out or hide in chest and sell. And when I usually get the yoyo, game decides to drop better... 15 times.

Back
Top Bottom