Items Craftable Traps (concept)

would you like to craft your own traps?

• yes!

• No, I like stomp over preasure plates to find them

Results are only viewable after voting.

VaeVictis

Skeletron
since I play terraria I've noticed that a lot of people like to build those afk farms placing traps and everything...and most people build arenas for end-game bosses/events also with traps to help them finish those events and to kill bosses faster and easier.

Reasons for this Suggestions:
  1. A trap is a "MECHANISM" it's weird that you can obtain it through searching underground or "accidentally" finding it when you step on a preassure plate and not by actually CRAFT it.

2. It can be tedious for some players which really like to build big farming systems, filled with traps, to create a new world and start searching traps when they run out...

3. It would be a good Way to give use to some items left behind like Spiky Balls or Throwing knife
it would go just like crafting weapons: starting with basic traps, and as you get more materials you could craft better and more complex traps (darts, spear, flame, whatever) as you get the ingredients, The Crafting Station Would be a Workbench

- Stone Block 1
- Throwing knife 20
- Wire 1

- Lihzahrd Brick 1
- Poisoned knife 20
- Wire 1

- Lihzahrd Brick 1
- Spiky Ball 20
- Wire 1

- Lihzahrd Brick 1
- Wood 10
- Iron/Lead Bar 10
- Wire 1

- Lihzahrd Brick 1
- Flame Thrower 1
- Wire 1

also it would be a good idea to add more type of traps I was thinking about some Debuff traps:
When Activated Releases a swarm of bees dealing 20 damage

- 1 Hive block
- 10 Beenade
- 1 wire

When Activated releases a Golden Stream Inflicting Ichor Debuff (Crafting Station could be Imbuing Station instead of Workbench)

- 1 Crimstone
- 30 Ichor
- 1 wire

When Activated releases a spiky Ice Stalagmite dealing 20 damage and inflicting Slow Debuff for 5 Seconds

- 1 Ice block
- 1 Frost core
- 1 Wire

When Activated Inflict Confusion Debuff (Crafting Station could be Imbuing Station instead of Workbench)
- 1 Cog
- 10 Nanites
- 1 Wire

You know how the enemies dumb AI pits them jumping against walls? Use that to your advantage!
An animated gear on the end of a wall deals 30-45 Constant damage.
3 Cogs
1 Lihzahrd Brick
3 Wire
by @Qw2
I hope you like this idea, maybe you could add some ideas too or change something, if you don't like it then what are you doing? you should be scavenging for your traps! :).​

Last edited:
I do agree that traps should be craftable. I had to make multiple worlds to get enough traps for things like my auto farm, and my arena. SUPPORT

I edited thread, Maybe I'll add more ideas for trap crafting in the future, BTW, itsn't allowed to edit the title?

As for the concept of craftable traps I agree with it, however I like a different way that it was done.

In any case that thread didn't have the bee trap, ice trap, or nano trap and I do like those. I recommend nanoswarm trap.

I edited thread, Maybe I'll add more ideas for trap crafting in the future, BTW, itsn't allowed to edit the title?
Click "Thread Tools" then "Edit Custom Fields".

Anyway, seems like a good idea. I could quibble about a few details (e.g. darts seem more like arrows than knives to me) but I would definitely like to see trap crafting become possible. One other possible concern, as it stands now, Lihzahrd Brick is obtainable pre-hardmode by knocking out the walls around entrance temple entrance and crafting them. So something else might be needed to "gate" the powerful traps.

Click "Thread Tools" then "Edit Custom Fields".
I tried that, and it didn't work, couldn't change anything, gonna try again though.

I could quibble about a few details (e.g. darts seems more like arrows than knives to me)
about the arrows, yeah, darts are more like an arrow than a dagger, but I wanted to throwing daggers more useful

One other possible concern, as it stands now, Lihzahrd Brick is obtainable pre-hardmode by knocking out the walls around entrance and crafting them. So something else might be needed to "gate" the powerful traps.

I didn't know that, but a way to fix it, maybe it could be changing the other ingredients as example, instead of iron bars for the spear and spiky ball trap, maybe it could be hallow bars and/or mech bosses souls. I gonna think about it, thanks!

I tried that, and it didn't work, couldn't change anything, gonna try again though.
Evidently you're right. It shows the title but it doesn't seem to be editable. (You can change the sub-title and catagories in forums like the Trading Post, but not the title itself apparently.)

I didn't know that, but a way to fix it, maybe it could be changing the other ingredients as example, instead of iron bars for the spear and spiky ball trap, maybe it could be hallow bars and/or mech bosses souls. I gonna think about it, thanks!
Or maybe just have the Lihzahrd traps crafted at the hardmode anvil. Though the workbench really does seem more appropriate thematically.

No one uses Cogs for much -
Here, take a idea.

You know how the enemies dumb AI pits them jumping against walls? Use that to your advantage!
Gear Trap - An animated gear on the end of it deals 30-45 Constant damage.
3 Cogs
1 Lihzahrd Brick
3 Wire

I support. :dryadsmile:

No one uses Cogs for much -
Here, take a idea.

Gear Trap - An animated gear on the end of it deals 30-45 Constant damage.
3 Cogs
1 Lihzahrd Brick
3 Wire

I support. :dryadsmile:

the "nano trap" requires cog as an ingredient and thanks, it's a good idea, I'll add it

Well, lets see:
Using knives in a DART shooting recipe?
Using a FLAMETHROWER per 1 FLAMETRAP?
Using 10 IRON/ SPIKY BALLS PER TRAP???

On this note:
  • Dart/Super Dart Trap: There is a poison dart item.
  • Spike Ball Trap: Spiky balls are 80 copper each when bought. The current recipe needs 16 silver per trap (though I'm not sure if layman9 was saying this is too much or too little)
  • Spear Trap: 10 bars per trap - that's twice the cost of Mechanical summons and half the cost of a helmet, per trap. It's 300 ore units. Iron / Lead aren't renewable or easily attained either, and they're heavily used in other recipes. (Easily attained compared to resources like dirt or stone.)
  • Flame Trap: For each trap, you will need: An Illegal Gun Parts (25 gold each) + 20 Souls of Fright (one Skeletron Prime fight each) + 20 iron bars (see above). That's too much. Maybe something like Gel (which is the Flamethrower fuel) and a Torch to serve as an ignition source. If this is too easily attained, a Cursed/Ichor Torch.
  • Ichor Trap: 30 ichor is too much I feel. Consider only 1 ichor is needed for 33 torches, 35 arrows or 50 bullets, or that 30 ichor is needed for Golden Shower. You really need to grind Ichor Stickers for that much ichor. 5 ichor might be a better, to match the Flask of Ichor recipe.
  • Ice Trap: Frost cores are not easily attained. Ice Golems are rare and have very specific spawning conditions.
  • Nano Trap: Nanite cost is 1 gold per trap
I guess this depends on whether you want them to be easy-ish to create, or more difficult.

it would go just like crafting weapons: starting with basic traps, and as you get more materials you could craft better and more complex traps (darts, spear, flame, whatever) as you get the ingredients, The Crafting Station Would be a Workbench
You've mentioned an 'improvement' system like with armour. Yet 2/10 traps are attainable to a new player, 2/10 at start of hardmode and the remaining 6/10 are post-Plantera. That's not really a progression...
I don't see the use of these for a boss farm. They're not going to help progressing players. Progressing players can't stand still and let traps kill the bosses - they have to move around to avoid the boss, and may end up hitting themselves with their own traps. Endgame players can kill all bosses aside from Duke Fishron rather quickly and easily.

Don't get me wrong - I like the idea and I'd like to be able to craft traps. But I think the recipes here needs some rework and I also think the target audience (AFK farms / fighting bosses) is not the right one.

Back
Top Bottom