Game Mechanics Customizing your world (Worldgen Options)

DJFlare84

Mechanic
~WHY ENABLE THIS?~
I was just thinkin' about how MineCraft has gotten really crazy with it's worldgen options lately and figured "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if Terraria had somethin' like that?".

Are you one of those kinds of people who goes "map shopping"? You start up a new world, check out the place and then delete it if you happen to find the corruption/crimson on both sides, or if you find it in or around your jungle? Maybe you want the center of the map to be snowy? This suggestion is for you, fellow picky person.

~ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION~
When you first select to create a world, you'll be asked if you want BASIC or ADVANCED worldgen. If you choose Basic, you'll only be asked to pick a world size and name like usual. If you pick ADVANCED, however, you'll see...
~STANDARD WORLDGEN OPTIONS~
World Name:
World Size? - Mini/Small/Medium/Large <--- (Mini = similar to worldsize in mobile app version of Terraria)

~ADVANCED WORLDGEN OPTIONS~
Central Biome? - Forest/Desert/Arctic/Surprise Me <--- (Explained at bottom.)
Darkness? - Shadowy/Bloody/Sickly/Surprise Me <--- (Biome suggested by Tobbvald: The Contagion)
Light? - Colorful/Metallic/Ancient/Surprise Me <--- (Biomes suggested by Tobbvald and Zoomo: Covert/Cyber. Option may not be available if devs decide automatic pairings.)
Shadows over...? - Jungle Side/Dungeon Side/Both Sides/Surprise Me
Shining over...? - Jungle Side/Dungeon Side/Surprise Me <--- (Options only enabled if Shadows over Both Sides. Otherwise, auto-selected to opposite side.)

~EXTRA WORLDGEN OPTIONS~
Forest? - Jungle Side/Dungeon Side/Both Sides/Surprise Me <--- (Options disabled if Forest selected as Central Biome)
How much? - Little bit/Lots
Desert? - Jungle Side/Dungeon Side/Both Sides/Surprise Me <--- (Options disabled if Desert selected as Central Biome)
Arctic? - Jungle Side/Dungeon Side/Both Sides/Surprise Me <--- (Options disabled if Arctic selected as Central Biome)
Central Biome defines your spawn and the "Default biome" for the rest of the map, which is any environment space not taken up by the other biomes.
"Surprise Me" is the "randomizer" option. Selects one of the options for you at random and doesn't tell you what it is!
Any thoughts/questions/suggestions?

Last edited:
This is definitely a neat idea, however light shouldn't really be a separate option as Cyber and Covert are designed to exist in the same world as their defined opposites. Other than that though this is fine.

Good thing I went looking around to see if this thread existed; if not, I probably would have posted it myself. The thing is, I would have put a selection for random, in case you just don't care. Of course, I do care, and would love it if more world creation options were implemented. Good day, all!

Must have feature. More customization is always better. But with some details:
When you first select to create a world, you'll see the following screen.
New players doesn't really care where they start (nor about Crimson/Corruption - they don't know about this yet). So world creation screen must be as it is now: only with option to choose size (Small, Medium, Large, and Mini can be added here too). So by default it generates random world as it always did.
Next, Worldgen options can be placed in different menu. Button for enter this menu can be placed above "Back" button (world generation screen) or even in "Settings" menu (where Controls, Language, etc.). And of course, worldgen menu must have "by Default" option.
light shouldn't really be a separate option as Cyber and Covert are designed to exist in the same world as their defined opposites.
I personally like Cyber, and it is great counterpart to Crimson. But I also like randomness. So, this is how I imagine "light and dark" selection screen:
[V] Random [V] Counterpart

[V] Corruption [V] Hallow
[V] Crimson [V] Cyber
[V] Contagion [V] Covet
It's checkboxes. When Random is 'on', world generator first choose one of enabled Evils.
Then
if Counterpart is on
Light would be choosen to match choosed Evil.
else
Light would be choosen randomly.

And you can always select which biomes you desire(or not) to have. For example, I don't like Crimson (it's ok, but I got Crimson in my last 4-5 worlds... I'm kinda tired :)) So I click on this check: [ ] Crimson. If Counterpart is on, it's automatically disables Cyber.
If you want specific biomes, just turn Random off. Then you can have Contagion and Hallow... Crimson and Covet... and maybe... Hallow and Cyber!? (yes, without evil! Or maybe go futher, and all six in one world! Woah! I'd like to see that... Of course, this is "too advanced options", because you can't obtain Souls of Night with only Hallow&Cyber, and this kinda stops your progression... (or not? I don't remembe all soul-including recipes...)

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/save-the-jungle.2398/ - and after I read this thread, this worldgen option came to my mind:
Jungle 'corruption' options:
- Vulnerable (Jungles can be corrupted/hallowed/cybered/etc...)
- Conservative (complete immunity)
- Agressive (Jungles can EAT YOUR WHOLE WORLD!)

This is definitely a neat idea, however light shouldn't really be a separate option as Cyber and Covert are designed to exist in the same world as their defined opposites. Other than that though this is fine.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that part depends on the developers. If they want the opposites to be defined then they will automatically be paired and only the darkness option will be available. I imagine they may also want the light and darkness pairings of each world to be random so I'm leaving that up to them as well.

New players doesn't really care where they start (nor about Crimson/Corruption - they don't know about this yet). So world creation screen must be as it is now: only with option to choose size (Small, Medium, Large, and Mini can be added here too). So by default it generates random world as it always did.
I can see your point, but rather than remove the Central Biome option altogether I'd rather leave it in and add a "Surprise Me" option.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/save-the-jungle.2398/ - and after I read this thread, this worldgen option came to my mind:
Jungle 'corruption' options:
- Vulnerable (Jungles can be corrupted/hallowed/cybered/etc...)
- Conservative (complete immunity)
- Agressive (Jungles can EAT YOUR WHOLE WORLD!)
Neh, I agree Jungles should be protected from dark conquest but I disagree that Jungles should be made another aggressive biome. I'd rather not include this set of options and hope that Terraria someday makes the jungle protected by default at all times.

I could understand if maybe engaging hardmode made the jungle aggressive, though, and then you had to defeat Plantera to make it go back to normal again...

I can see your point, but rather than remove the Central Biome option altogether I'd rather leave it in and add a "Surprise Me" option.
Oh, sorry for misunderstanding, I don't mean to remove it. My only suggestion was to make worldgen options in different menu, I belive it helps to avoid confusion with new players. I definitely like 'central biome', cuz it adds variety.
I could understand if maybe engaging hardmode made the jungle aggressive, though, and then you had to defeat Plantera to make it go back to normal again...
I think, killing Plantera enrages jungles more :D Well, it's not like we need another spreading biome anyway x)

I know that Journey's End is, like, the END, but if they update this game in the future I'd still like to see the option for spawn biome choice.

Back
Top Bottom