Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started taking drawing seriously in 6th grade, and while I had a gradual if slow improvement over that time, I had a definite jump in quality just as I left high school and headed off to college, which is about when I joined DeviantArt and hooked up with a bunch of other, way more serious artists whom I looked up to and admired. Then I had a period of rapid improvement, followed by a sudden sharp artistic depression as many of the artists I looked up to became hateful and self-destructive, so I ended up withdrawing for a bit and plateauing until I was out of college and willing to pick things back up again and take it at a much more relaxed and casual pace.

I haven't made a tremendous improvement since then (and sometimes I look at my older work and think I was BETTER before my depression), but I've definitely branched out and am way more flexible with my art now, along with just generally having a better grasp of certain fundamentals that I shunned before.

To break it down, I've been drawing seriously for about 17 years (though perhaps more like 15 by discounting the periods of depression), and it took me about 7 of those years in the beginning to actually make a marked improvement.

In other words, art improvement takes time and doesn't happen overnight! One might have an epiphany down the road that causes a sudden jump in quality, but a foundation needs to be established first before such a revelation can occur!

I'll leave you with this illustration (which I shared during one of Szalia's streams but is pretty appropriate here).

qfi_mass.jpg
Wow ! Not only was that an incredibly in depth story, your improvement was simply amazing. I don't even know what to say. I just think "wow"

As a fairly avid fan of Magic: the Gathering aesthetics, I couldn't help but feel that the Pumpking's got nothin' on the sheer spoop-swag that is the Reaper King, so I decided to give Pumpking a Shadowmoor-inspired makeover. For all your spooping needs.

8WOgwZ8.png
It's so amazing its stopping me from coming up with a good pumpkin pun!

As a fairly avid fan of Magic: the Gathering aesthetics, I couldn't help but feel that the Pumpking's got nothin' on the sheer spoop-swag that is the Reaper King, so I decided to give Pumpking a Shadowmoor-inspired makeover. For all your spooping needs.

8WOgwZ8.png
Someone made me!
(Can I use I as my avatar?)

I find it hard to describe how awesome that is without resorting to curse words. :merchantnaughty:
I'm sure that, after Skeletron, the Pumpking is a boss that would appreciate a good cursing. :dryadwink:

Cenx, I'd like to see Daimera as contributor for 2016 Terraria calendar, she is very talented and I like her art..
EDIT:
Daimera you forgot carrots on arms
I'd have to learn how to draw consistently. And background. Meaningful ones. That aren't standalone. T~T

As for the "carrots"... artistic license, really. The same artistic license that had me sticking some scarecrow wicker and sticks on the design that aren't even remotely on the original sprite.

Someone made me!
(Can I use I as my avatar?)
Sure, go ahead!

8WOgwZ8.png
Oh My F***ing good how do you make such awesome art. This is Insane!!

I like the crispiness it made at some parts, like on the gradients on the blades. I'm guessing you used a textured brush at some point here? Still trying to figure out whether you just used a simple texture overlay or used textured brushes, judging from the texture from the blades and the cloth [and the highlights on the vines], though I'm leaning on textured brushes.

Everytime you post a new picture, I pretty much always have the same shocked "holy :red:" reaction.

As for the calendar hiring stuff, why not hire you for a Terraria: Otherworld calendar instead ;D The game's darker atmosphere (that we've all seen so far) is a good match for your usual style. (I'd buy it)

I like the crispiness it made at some parts, like on the gradients on the blades. I'm guessing you used a textured brush at some point here? Still trying to figure out whether you just used a simple texture overlay or used textured brushes, judging from the texture from the blades and the cloth [and the highlights on the vines], though I'm leaning on textured brushes.
Yep, used a combination of brushes, but mainly a couple very similar textured ones. A Tumblr/DA user that I really like gave me a bunch of Photoshop brushes at one point that I used for a bit, and they don't translate directly to MangaStudio so it took a while to manually import them, but they usually turn up neat results when I mess with 'em; I'd like to try to use them a bit more often, and a bit more effectively as time progresses.

Everytime you post a new picture, I pretty much always have the same shocked "holy :red:" reaction.

As for the calendar hiring stuff, why not hire you for a Terraria: Otherworld calendar instead ;D The game's darker atmosphere (that we've all seen so far) is a good match for your usual style. (I'd buy it)
That'd be neat, haha, but we'll see~

8WOgwZ8.png
I`ll have a sprite for pumpkings scythe spellbook soon.

8WOgwZ8.png
Pumpkings Scythe Spellbook (Summon that yellow scythe pumpking uses)
Pumpkings Scythe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom