Derunih Senpai's Writing FAQ

Derunih

Steampunker
Because you lot have asked for it. Literally. Several times. First post will be a FAQ section, and the thread will be dedicated to writing suggestions, questions, and analogies. Questions and concerns posted on the thread, or even elsewhere, will be addressed in a post-by-post basis, and will only be added to the FAQ if they meet the criteria. I have compressed the Questions into tabs, to save space.

FAQ (So far. Under Construction.)

A. One of three ways. I shall list them now:
1. It is a question that I think will be asked often, even if only in people heads. For example, these criteria.
2. It is a question that I have received multiple times. I will also post links to this FAQ if it is asked from then on.
3. A question receives a certain amount of attention, likes, or discussions. Min 5 people for likes, or comments/requotes (This figure is subject to change).
Also, no spamming! For one, the mods will frown on you.
A. Questions that have nothing to do with me, or are purely personal. Some example questions which will be politely redirected to my Social Forum:
"Do you like (A Terrarian weapon?)"
"Where do you live?"
"What other games do you like?"
This thread isn't for those. My goal with this is to help people make awesome literature, not to reveal my personal info, or interests.
A. Part one: Imagination
Long story on that. First of: I began reading fiction at the age of about 5-6, and never stopped. I then added video games, and manga, and many other worlds of magic and adventure to my favourite pastimes. So, yeah. Since a young age, my mind has been saturated by things that are impossible, yet awesome.

And since I have always been thinking about worlds of magic... I would imagine scenarios in those worlds, new characters, new situations. I would spin the story in my own way, imagine what may be awaiting in the next chapter the moment I had to put the book/game down. I am sure others do that a lot too, but I would do it all the time.

So, while I have only begun writing stories recently, I have always been making them. Every single day, new worlds would come and go, expand and collapse. This has trained my imagination to work in overdrive. There are several people that can testify to the fact I am an endless well of ideas, which is the reason my stories are... Interesting~

Part two: Language
As mentioned in part one, I read a ton. I have also graduated high school, so for English class, I also had to write a ton of Essays. This made me familiar with a wide range of words, and also with how they were used. I got a feel for how to structure my paragraphs, and what did and did not work in grammatical structure. Boring, I know. But if the words are hard to read, the story is less enjoyable. Remember that.

Also, story structure. I read a wide variety of stories, and I got a feel for what ones I enjoyed more. I would read over my own work as I type it, and think... "Do I enjoy reading this?" If the answer was no, I changed it. Simple. It takes a little practice, but you will get it in time.

Summary: Read a lot, and use that imagination of yours!
A. Ahh, writer's block... Something I have never understood. To my understanding, there are two varieties, and I will answer them separately:

Total Block. You can not write anything, the creative juices are just not flowing. This has happened to me a few times. My tactic... Just don't write. Forcing it doesn't work, and I am sure you will be able to get back to writing after a few hours of doing something else.

Story Bock. This, I have never gotten. There is one good reason why: How my stories start. I don't look for an idea, or anything like that. I just sit around, and think up new stories. And more new stories. And even more still. And I keep on going, until one just... Bugs me. I can't get it out of my head. And that story will grow, until I have a full on plot in my head, and all I have to do is start writing it.

So, to rephrase: I only write stories I am interested in. Ones that I want to see the ending of. Like I am reading a good book by someone else. When writing a story that pulls me in like that, I never find myself stuck without a plot, or a scene. Because, I had already thought ot the next one yesterday.

Last edited:
Also, dear mods: If this thread would be better located elsewhere, I do not mind it being moved.

We'll an know that I am secretly your Senpai, therefore forfeiting your right to being a Senpai.

We'll an know that I am secretly your Senpai, therefore forfeiting your right to being a Senpai.
*Baps @Teal with a ruler* Irrelevant. And not a question.

Anywho, some sample questions are up. I will let this sit for a day or two, and see if anyone needs my services. I will request the thread be locked/deleted, if no questions are asked, proving this thread was not needed.

How do you start your stories? Basically, how do you think of the start and general plot?
Hello! My first actual question. It was semi-answered in "I want to write something, but can't think of anything good!", but I shall put it here as well.

The first thing I do, is I basically just sit there and daydream. My imagination is hyperactive, so I can even do this while playing games, walking, or doing other activities. This chaotic mass-daydreaming will make my come up with several dozen stories, usually the beginning of them, and then I will think of more.

Now, this isn't very helpful. Most of these ideas are ignored, and rightfully so, since they are variations of ones I have had before. But... After, say, a hundred ideas (Which can take me as little as 2-3 days to churn through) one idea will stand out. It will... Bug me. And, like it or not, my curious mind will start thinking up possible endings, again not only one, but a few of them.

Over time, this internal trial-and-error will entertain me, and I will start to pick the story I liked most. Not the one I think will continue farthest, nor the one that I think others will like. The one that *I* have been liking, for several days at this point. You know how waiting several days to get a game will make you really excited, and all you do is play it once you get the game? Same trick. I over-hype myself about the story, which makes me just focus on it if I want to or not.

TL;DR version - I daydream, and pick a story that seems interesting. It it isn't interesting, I go back to daydreaming. Rinse and repeat.

P.S. Sorry if that was a tad too long. No idea how long these answers should be.

I got a question: My major problem when writing is that I always think of the beginning and end, but then once I write down the beginning, I can't go further because the only thing I can think of is how I'm going to wrap it up. If you ever have this same problem, how do you deal with it, and if you don't, any advice in general?

I got a question: My major problem when writing is that I always think of the beginning and end, but then once I write down the beginning, I can't go further because the only thing I can think of is how I'm going to wrap it up. If you ever have this same problem, how do you deal with it, and if you don't, any advice in general?
I was given permission from Derunih to answer you.

A lot of self-educated (in writing terms) writers don't do plotwork. Which often leads to plot holes later on, which is even now, still okay. But, with a problem like this I'd suggest plotwork. Even if very rough. It helps to think up a number, approximate, of how many installations you plan on doing, and plotpoint from there.

Here's a very rough plotpoint chart I made:

(Chapter 1) Introduction, and basic establishment/structure. Establishing plot point, contribution to overarching plot:

(Chapter 2) No. 1 - Establishing plot point, contribution to overarching plot:

(Chapter 3) Builder, anchors on significant parts in either 2 or 1 and develops them:

(Chapter 4) No. 2 - Establishing plot point, contribution to overarching plot:

(Chapter 5) Builder, anchors on significant parts in either 4 or 3 and develops them:

(Chapter 6) Concluding plot point, should give the reader a definitive sense, or inference of either an implied plot (giving the reader a false sense of plot knowledge only for that change later on in climax/conclusion), or the legitimately intended one:

(Chapter 7) Climax, the release of anticipation established. The conflict resolution in its highest form:

(Chapter 8) Conclusion -- Ties up loose ends, reaffirms already established points, characters react to events of the climax:

Note: You can add plotpoints where needed, don't forgot to add new elements of you do supplement in new plotpoints.

So, jot down your beggining, and your ending, but focus on the climax and conclusion. How do you plan to get to those from your begging point, as you had ideas slap them on a plotpoint. What loose ends will you intentionally leave to be tied up in your conclusion?
Basically, work from the outside in.

Thank you coming. Hmm... I find a lot of people actually have a different problem: Once they think of an ending, it just sucks all the fun out of the story. I personally have never felt that, nor have I gotten stuck from agonising over how a story will conclude. And the reason behind that is simple...

I enjoy the journey. This is referenced in many quotes: Life(Or success) is a journey, not a destination, being one of the most common. Before I go any further, let me put a disclaimer: The fact you have a set ending in mind is a good thing. Without a destination, journeys (and stories) tend to just meander off to the side, and... End. Boringly. So, thinking of an ending right at the start isn't a problem.

Depending on the sheer size of the story, you can try a couple of things: For long stories, split it into chunks. In the Lamentation, I had obvious milestones to follow. They were the bosses, each one having it's own place. Write on each section, and you will find yourself at the end before you know it.

I was given permission from Derunih to answer you. (Snip, for space)
That is a good way of doing it as well. Not a method I follow, but one I have seen work. I also assume by "End", you were referring to the climax, not the resolution. Resolutions should only ever be written last, as their purpose is to address loose ends. With an unfinished story, loose ends are less predictable.

For shorter stories, as suggested by Teal: you can work from the outside in. Sit down, and write that epic fight scene at the end, or however the story reaches it's climax. Then, once it is fully written, go back and add enough for it to make sense. A famous author who's work I read actually wrote his entire series's epilogue, before starting the final book.

Once again, conclude with TL;DR - If you are stuck on the ending, just write it, then go back. You may have to publish a series in order, but that doesn't mean you have to write it like that.

Also, a note on Teal being given permission: I may be the one running this thread, but I have no objections what so ever to others giving answers as well. Just be polite, and try to be constructive.

I will still personally answer each question, or at least suggest a particularly awesome answer if I see no way to improve on one already given.

So, jot down your beggining, and your ending, but focus on the climax and conclusion. How do you plan to get to those from your begging point, as you had ideas slap them on a plotpoint. What loose ends will you intentionally leave to be tied up in your conclusion?

Hey Derunih, I'm starting my own story soon, but I really can't find what would make my story better; right now it's really bland and boring with absolutely no motif, or suspense, which I quite like? Could you please help me for this?

The Heart of The Villagers will soon be available, no matter what

Hey Derunih, I'm starting my own story soon, but I really can't find what would make my story better; right now it's really bland and boring with absolutely no motif, or suspense, which I quite like? Could you please help me for this?
The Heart of The Villagers will soon be available, no matter what
First off: keep up that enthusiasm at the end, it will help a fair bit! Now, onto my actual answer...

You are looking to add suspense, is the main thing I latched onto. My pieces of advice are threefold, and you can pick any of them you like:
1. I have often heard this said regarding bland storytelling, "Look at your character. Ask yourself, is this the most interesting part of their life? If not, why are you not writing about that?" I have no idea if that will apply to your writing, but something to keep in mind.
2. Not all stories need to be suspenseful. I once heard of a story that was deliberately monotone and bland, as a storytelling device. The reason? It was from the point of view of an accountant. Sure, the things they were talking about were amazing. Just the character was dull as drying paint, and the author used that. A warning though: This is an exception to the advice in 1, and is very hard to pull off.
3. Advice that best answers your question, without rewriting it: Add suspense! I find that there are a few ways to do it: Leave the story on a cliffhanger between issues/posts. Suddenly change the point of view away from something that the readers are drawn to. Or have foreshadowing expertly placed, to leave the readers wondering what it meant. All three use the same basic principle... Make the reader ask a question, "What will happen next?" And then, deliberately don't answer for a while!

TL;DR version - Uh... My answer was a tad complex. Well, to add suspense: Take a break in the middle of something big. Turn the reader elsewhere, and they will be begging to be brought back to it.

Not sure if I explained it well enough (Short version or long), but I tried~

Is your profile picture a Compass Rose or a snowflake?
Well, that isn't particularly writing related, but I shall answer it here anyway for those that are also curious.

It is neither. It is vaguely based off of a Star, but is an emblem for an AI society I will one day write about/base a game around.

Back
Top Bottom