NPCs & Enemies Earthquake Event

divebat

Skeletron
*I know the question will arise, "Why?"
Heres the simple answer, I feel the game can use any excitement it needs, terraria has become void of new content, and although I'm sure 1.3 will bring lots, the more the merrier. So "Why?" should never be a question when it comes to suggestions, unless utterly unnecessary or literally damaging to content and such.

Check out SzGamer227's Acid Rain Event, which inspired the format and most monsters.

Summary

We are all familiar with earthquakes, we see them on the news, some experience them, and more. They are a thing of nature, as are many terrarian events are, so why not? My proposed idea is that like rain, there will be at any time an earthquake will happen. Except these will only occur during hard mode. The chances for a rain event are 1 in 475,200 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per in real life minute, so, throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain is about 2/11, or 18%. The earthquake will be slightly more rare, a 14% chance every day. The initial quake will be a 2-3 second session of screen shaking, leading into 12 in game hours of different mobs. This will be followed by small aftershocks occasionally. The only way to know it will have ended will be a change in the background. Now, into what happens when the event occurs.

Contents

From higher ground brownish boulders will tumble, doing the same damage boulders do in underground traps. The background changes to fallen trees, broken rocks, and underground cracked rock. New mobs roam, and occasional shaking will occur, but no large quakes will occur after the initial one. Goldfish and piranhas will flop around on dry land, thrown out of the water by the shaking, and the only true area safe from the shaking is on sky islands. The ocean will be splashed violently with large waves, leaving sharks and jellyfish on land and water from the ocean in small pockets scattered. These events are all about rocks, so many items and enemies are related to that.

Enemies

Boulfish (Sprite by domcing)
Rockfish.png

A goldfish made of rock. No longer a critter, will attack
Health: 60
Defense: 24
Damage: 46
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%

Rockranha
Stronger, rocklike piranha.
Health: 90
Defense: 26
Damage: 58
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%
Hook (1) 2.5%

Slimestone
An agressive slime made of rock.
Health: 140
Defense: 22
Damage: 45
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%

Gel (3-5) 100%
Boulders Blade (1) 1%
Slime Staff (1) .01%

Rough Slimestone
Same as the Rocky Slime but will shoot rock shards, and is also stronger. Behaves similar to Spiked Jungle Slime.
Health: 200
Damage (Melee): 52
Damage (Ranged): 46
Ranged attacks will inflict bleeding with a 1/6 chance.
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%
Boulders Blade (1) 1%
Slime Staff (1) .01%

Boulder
A boulder that will roll from high elevations out of the players sight.
Will break upon contact with the player.
Health: N/A
Defense: N/A
Damage: 34

Drops:
N/A

At Night

Zomboulder

A zombie made of rock.
Melee has a 1/10 chance to inflict bleeding.

Health: 240
Defense: 18
Damage: 44
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%
Rock Outfit (1 Piece) .67%
Boulders Blade (1) 2%
Shackle (1) 2%
Boulder Charm (1) 1%

Cracked Possessed Armor
Enchanted Armor made of rock. Hollow armor, but looks like rock.
Health: 360
Damage: 60
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%
Boulders Blade (1) 2%
Boulder Charm (1) 1%

Rockeye
A Demon Eye made of rock.
Health: 380
Defense: 24
Damage: 46
Drops:
Rock Fragment (1-2) 25%
Lens (1) 33.33%
Black Lens (1) .67%
Boulder Charm (1) 1%

Rocky (Movie Reference)
The Ice Golem of the Earthquake event. Throws boulders like how the golem shoots lasers. Will spawn in the forest.
Health: 4500
Defense: 34
Damage: 68
Rock Damage: 54
Drops:
Boulders Blade (1) 4%
Stone Core (1) 100%
Boulder Charm (1) 5%
Boxing Glove (1) 3%

Rockadile
Rare mini boss which spawns in the outer third of the map.
A medium moving
enemy which will dive at the player and shoot rock fragments.
High damage but easy to blitz.
1/3 Chance to inflict poison.

Health: 6000
Defense: 42
Damage: 74
Shard Damage: 68
Drops:
Rocky Husk (20-30) 100%
Croc Tooth (1) 6%
Boulder Charm (1) 5%

Drops/Items

Rock Fragment
Material

Boulders Blade
Damage: 56
Rock Damage: 42
Crit Chance:
10% Chance to inflict bleeding
Fast speed
Shoots a spread of small rocks.

Rock Outfit
Vanity outfit, dropped by Rock Zombies, provides 4 defense.

Rock Charm

Vanity Item
When equipped, melee and ranged attacks will cause an effect like a weak crystal bullet, damaging nearby enemies or the enemy affected.

Stone Core
Material (Like a grey, stone like Frost Core)

Rocky Husk
Crafting Material

Croc Tooth
Crafting Material

Boxing Glove
Damage:
Crit Chance:

Craftables

Boulder Bullet
Stronger Crystal Bullet
Crafted
40 Bullets
1 Rock Fragment

Jagged Arrow
Arrow will pierce a bit more then Unholy Arrow
Crafted
40 Bullets
1 Rock Fragment

Crocodile Staff
Will summon a Stone Crocodile to fight for you!
Crafted

1 Croc Tooth
15 Souls of Might
20 Rock Fragments
10 Rocky Husk

Stone Crocodile
Damage: 44
Crit Chance: 16%
Fast Speed
Dives at target
Faster and stronger in water

Crocodile Tooth Shotgun
Strong Shotgun
33.33% Chance to inflict poison
Damage: 58

Crit Chance: 8%
Medium Speed
Crafting
5 Rocky Husk
15 Rock Fragment
6 Souls of Night
1 Croc Tooth
1 Shotgun

Boulder Armor
Helmet

18 Defense
12% increased melee and ranged damage
Crafting
10 Rocky Husk
1 Stone Core
5 Rock Fragment
Chestplate
20 Defense
11% increased melee and ranged crit
Crafting
10 Rocky Husk
1 Stone Core
5 Rock Fragment
Boots
16 Defense
5% increased movement speed
10% increased melee speed
Crafting
10 Rocky Husk
1 Stone Core
5 Rock Fragment
Full Set
54 Defense
5% Increased Ranged and Melee Damage
10% Increased Speed
5% Increased Melee Speed
10% Chance not to consume ammo

All ideas and criticism are accepted, as are sprites. Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
Really cool idea! I think the enemies are a bit overboard (Rocky Eye? :p) and need to be much more unique, but other then that its fairly cool. Personally I think there should be a few Lihzahrd based enemies, the earthquake could have disturbed the temple and allowed some to escape to the surface.

Really cool idea! I think the enemies are a bit overboard (Rocky Eye? :p) and need to be much more unique, but other then that its fairly cool. Personally I think there should be a few Lihzahrd based enemies, the earthquake could have disturbed the temple and allowed some to escape to the surface.
Yea.. Was having trouble with creativity here, but thats a cool idea about the lihzards. If you can come up with anything, it helps! Thanks :)

i have some ideas for names for the mobs:

boulder goldfish=bouldfish

rocky eye=rockeye

rocky slime=slimestone

rough rock slime=rough slimestone

boney piranha=pirocknha

also, this seems more like a landslide event, especially with all the boulders falling from the sky. i can see people raging because their houses got torn in half. other than that, seems cool.

rocky eye=rockeye

rocky slime=slimestone

boney piranha=pirocknha

also, this seems more like a landslide event, especially with all the boulders falling from the sky. i can see people raging because their houses got torn in half. other than that, seems cool.

One word: Meteor

It's honestly just reskins of old mobs with "rock" smacked in front. I doubt that random blocks will be able to move randomly, there are too many factors that wouldn't allow this to happen. Maybe if the mobs were more creative, but no support at this point, sorry.

rocky eye=rockeye

rocky slime=slimestone

boney piranha=pirocknha

Like i mentioned, no effect on player placed blocks or dungeon/lihzard bricks. Might be hard to code that in but doubt it'll be added anyway
[DOUBLEPOST=1423009246][/DOUBLEPOST]
I sprited you a boulderfish:View attachment 26618
Thanks!

It's honestly just reskins of old mobs with "rock" smacked in front. I doubt that random blocks will be able to move randomly, there are too many factors that wouldn't allow this to happen. Maybe if the mobs were more creative, but no support at this point, sorry.
Yea, working on "Creativity" but once i was halfway through i realized, it was hard. IF you have any suggestions, please submit. Also, I've removed the part about random blocks. Wasn't thinking. Thanks :)

I like it a lot actually. Its not very destructive, and even though some parts are destructive, its just moving water and blocks that aren't placed by the player. The mobs are kind of pathetic though. Other than the mob names and uncreative spirit, its really nice.

EDIT: The rock bullets being better than crystal seems strange to me.

Yea, working on "Creativity" but once i was halfway through i realized, it was hard. IF you have any suggestions, please submit. Also, I've removed the part about random blocks. Wasn't thinking. Thanks :)
As animals sense earthquakes in advance, they could go into a state of craziness and attack. The pet dog can whimper and lay down. Another enemy could be Earthen Warrior. The upset nature drove him out of his sleeping state.

I like it a lot actually. Its not very destructive, and even though some parts are destructive, its just moving water and blocks that aren't placed by the player. The mobs are kind of pathetic though. Other than the mob names and uncreative spirit, its really nice.

EDIT: The rock bullets being better than crystal seems strange to me.
Water and blocks changed, no longer will happen. Mobs will be renamed, if you have any names by yourself, please leave them
[DOUBLEPOST=1423010898][/DOUBLEPOST]
As animals sense earthquakes in advance, they could go into a state of craziness and attack. The pet dog can whimper and lay down. Another enemy could be Earthen Warrior. The upset nature drove him out of his sleeping state.
Mobs will scatter, fleeing. Pets will freak out, like you said, and i think ill add the warning mob.

Back
Top Bottom