Weapons & Equip Emblems are Music Boxes: The Final Fix

Baconfry

Terrarian
So I was thinking about how we should solve the problem with Avenger Emblems. Because everyone knows what that's like, right? Defeating an easy boss whose summoning relies on a somewhat rare item and is limited by the respawning of an NPC, which can only occur during daytime... it's a mess. Especially now that the Summoner Emblem has been confirmed for the game... but I think I have the final solution. (And I mean it this time, which should be my final edit.)

Emblems are Music Boxes.

Okay, I'll start by explaining that last statement. The Music Box is an accessory that transforms after being equipped for a certain amount of time. It can take different forms under different conditions. Do you see where I'm getting at?

traineeemblem.png

Trainee Emblem
Dropped by Wall of Flesh, 100% chance. Dropped by Mimics, 100% chance, in addition to an item from the Mimic's usual pool. The random drop table for the WoF becomes 33.33% Clockwork Assault Rifle, 33.33% Breaker Blade, and 33.33% Laser Rifle. (Or 25/25/25/25, if the WoF gets a summoning weapon as well.)

Important: Tell me what you guys think about if I made the Trainee Emblem a guaranteed drop from Mimics instead. (Now the official version of this suggestion.)

Sell price: 10 Silver.

Can be equipped, for no effect.
However, after a certain amount of time, it will transform into one of four Emblems, based on whichever item is equipped in the helmet slot. (Earlygame helmets, vanity items, and the Crimson Helmet will not cause transformation.)

Besides the obvious class-related helmets, here are the ways to obtain the four Emblems (though this too should be obvious):

Warrior Emblem
Shadow, Molten, Turtle, Frost (50% chance), Beetle.

Sorcerer Emblem
Jungle, Meteor, Wizard Hat, Magic Hat, Spectre.

Ranger Emblem
Necro, Frost (50% chance), Shroomite.

Summoner Emblem
Bee, Spider, Tiki, Spooky.

The Trainee Emblem transforms into one of four Emblems. This is determined by whichever damage type is first to deal (arbitrarily) 6,000 damage when the Trainee Emblem is equipped. (Thank you for proposing this, @zimberzimber!)

Alternatively, the decision can be made by comparing the percentage-based bonuses to damage of each class.

This new method, involving the Trainee Emblem, means that an Avenger Emblem can be obtained by killing the Wall of Flesh exactly four times. Still not easy, but infinitely preferable to the hell (pun intended) that you'd have to go through to collect four different items from a table of seven.

The new method removes all incentive to repeatedly defeat the Wall of Flesh once you have advanced beyond its tier. Instead, you are encouraged to explore, in the hope of encountering Mimics.

While I'm on the subject of emblems, I've got one more fix to bring up here. It was actually mentioned in my Biome Weapon Project's main thread, but one thing I've learned is that if you want people to actually read something and think about it, the worst thing you can do is to include it in a suggestion that has a lot of things in it.

Anyways, what I thought of was this: the ability to place summons freely on the screen is cool, but the problem is that this ability is available as soon as a summon weapon is obtained. Infinite wallhack? If you ask me, it should be available only to those who choose to actually invest in a summoner setup. So I'm going to propose a few changes to the Hercules Beetle tinkering lineage.

a61563c8-8e8b-437c-885a-2bde3a07f435.png

Ancient Scarab
Increases minion knockback and allows summons to be placed anywhere on the screen. (Yes, this is the old Hercules Beetle sprite.)

herculesbeetle.png

Hercules Beetle
Crafted: Avenger Emblem + Ancient Scarab.

Increases minion damage and knockback, and allows summons to be placed anywhere on the screen.

14d1d2e4-3160-4f27-b74b-f7c568f3b166.png

Papyrus Scarab
Crafted: Hercules Beetle + Necromantic Scroll (nothing changes).

Increases minion damage, capacity, and knockback, and allows summons to be placed anywhere on the screen. (Ever notice that the Hercules Beetle is brown, and the beetle on the Papyrus Scarab is red? I thought so, too.)

Obviously, this means that people who don't reserve an accessory slot for a Beetle accessory (people who aren't dedicated summoners) lose that benefit, and their minions/turrets are placed at their location when summoned. Which, I argue, is the way things should have been done in the first place.

It's true, people can autopause, equip the accessory, summon a turret, and then take the accessory off. But consider this: people can also autopause, equip a Tabi to dodge Duke Fishron, and then take the Tabi off. People can also equip a Paladin's Shield (6 defense) by default, and swap it with an Ankh Shield (4 defense) should they happen to receive a debuff. Or equip an Extendo Grip, mine an ore pocket that they can't otherwise reach, and then unequip it. Or equip a Neptune's Shell right before they're about to drown, and take it off when the breath meter refills. I'm not breaking precedent here. Spur-of-the-moment accessory swapping is something that all resourceful players with autopause have no problem using.

So... two major changes, and two sprites. Please let me know what you think about the way I approached this. Thanks for reading! I know I can be a bit prosaic at times, but I really do hope that you're all being careful not to miss anything. We couldn't have a good discussion otherwise!

Last edited:
Nice idea. I really like the music box approach, that was cool. As for the beetle thing: Summoners needed an accesory that had the emblem in it, as all the other classes have one. That was a really good idea.

Am I really the only person that thinks the Avenger Emblem, an ingredient for an incredibly powerful endgame accessory, isn't too easy to get. I know grinding isn't fun but you have to have some dedication to get said accessory. Giving an emblem for sure plus one of the weapons is going to give you a head start in Hard Mode or about double the cash from WoF.

This is on the same level as suggestions to increase the drop rate on [item x]. Making the game easier doesn't make it more fun.

Wow
That's two no supports already. But personally, i think this makes a lit of sense, except surely to get the other emblems, (and make the avenger emblem) you need to play as that class for a bit? Which seems a bit bs if you ask me, especially with how long you have to spend mining as it is, crafting all three helmets is a bit too much to ask.

Wow
That's two no supports already. But personally, i think this makes a lit of sense, except surely to get the other emblems, (and make the avenger emblem) you need to play as that class for a bit? Which seems a bit bs if you ask me, especially with how long you have to spend mining as it is, crafting all three helmets is a bit too much to ask.
Mine... just... umm... open the spoiler now would ya

Great suggestion, I really want some balance with the WoF drops,
However,
Can be equipped, for no effect. However, after a certain amount of time, it will transform into one of four Emblems, based on whichever item is equipped in the helmet slot. (Earlygame helmets, vanity items, and the Crimson Helmet will not cause transformation.)
This part bothers me a bit,
-First, Music Boxes don't have a certain amount of time, But the time is random, It can happen the second after you equip it, it can happen 5 minutes later.
(I want to add that the music boxes should play a certain amount of time for like 1-2 minutes, same should happen for the trainee emblem.)

-Second, Crimson helmet is an alternate of shadow, despite it's not class specific, i find it unfair to not rate it under melee and does nothing. meaning that you either have to go for molten or hardmode gear.

I dislike the reason for the emblem to transform, mainly the fact that its tied to your helmet.

I propose adding a counter to the emblem, that will count the amount of damage you deal with each damage type. (4 counters)
Once one of the counters reaches a specific number, lets say 1k, the trainee emblem will transform into the emblem representing the damage type you dealt 1k with.
-OR-
After a random period of time it will transform into the emblem representing the damage type you dealt the most damage with in that period.

Fantastic idea here, Baconfry. Although I wasn't too sure about the WoF dropping it, I guess it still remains ok. All in all; I really think that this should be implemented.

The Developers have awoken.

Why not just avoid the whole transformation thing entirely and craft the different emblems from the trainee emblem using items like 10 copper shortswords for the Warrior Emblem or 1000 bullets for the Ranger Emblem, 100 bones for the Summoner and something else for the Sorcerer?

Why not just avoid the whole transformation thing entirely and craft the different emblems from the trainee emblem using items like 10 copper shortswords for the Warrior Emblem or 1000 bullets for the Ranger Emblem, 100 bones for the Summoner and something else for the Sorcerer?
Because that creates more grinding, which Baconfry is trying to prevent.

Because that creates more grinding, which Baconfry is trying to prevent.

I suppose so... But dealing a certain amount of damage with weapons is also grinding, and the wearing helmets is pointless because you just leave the game running overnight in a safe place and boom there's the emblem you want.

In that case why not just be able to craft the trainee emblem into the one you want? If the aim is to reduce grinding it doesn't even need to have other ingredients, you could just go to a crafting table with your emblem and craft the one you want

I suppose so... But dealing a certain amount of damage with weapons is also grinding, and the wearing helmets is pointless because you just leave the game running overnight in a safe place and boom there's the emblem you want.

In that case why not just be able to craft the trainee emblem into the one you want? If the aim is to reduce grinding it doesn't even need to have other ingredients, you could just go to a crafting table with your emblem and craft the one you want
You see, dealing damage is something you do all the time, regardless whether its a boss, a friendly NPC such as a rabbit, or a zombie, unlike going to the dungeon, killing a crap-load of skeletons, or something similar which requires you to do something specific.

Killed Wof 2 times still no emblem drop,i support this i dont want kill the guide in lava (only sometimes) and dont grind wof,So support!

I like the idea, but I think slapping on armour and waiting for the trainee emblem to go "poof" and turn into the one you want is a bit pointless. I'd much rather just have different emblems drop depending on the gear you have when you defeat the Wall.

Personally I think this is an awesome idea, I went through hell (literally) when I was gonna craft an Avenger Emblem + Celestial Emblem for my main mage-character. This would definitely help.
To add a suggestion of my own I'd like to propose an alternate way that determines what emblem you get: weapons. Unlike your own, that mentions best class bonuses to decide, I think that whenever you swing a sword, shoots an arrow, etc. there's a little chance that your Emblem turns into the emblem matching the type of attack. However, to block melee users from just equiping the Shroomite Digging Claws or the Bladed Glove and just standing there swinging it, the effect only works when you cause damage with the attack. Please note that summoning weapons do not really swing (the summoning itself doesn't count as an attack, it does no damage), so this would work out better for the sake of balance.

I like the idea, but I think slapping on armour and waiting for the trainee emblem to go "poof" and turn into the one you want is a bit pointless. I'd much rather just have different emblems drop depending on the gear you have when you defeat the Wall.
I don't agree, cus then it's harder to get the one you want if you play together with friends, since you do multiple types of damage.

Back
Top Bottom