Items Evil-Tiered Magic: Vessel Skewer and Swarm Staff

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
You can get the Crimson Rod and Vilethorn by smashing Crimson Hearts and Shadow Orbs, but what about having craftable magic items as well? What if you want a weapon with something similar to the other's abilities but cant access it without making a new world? These are the problems I was thinking about when I made this thread.

Vessel Staff.png

Vessel Skewer
"Imprisons a ravenous and violent growth."
Magic Damage: 12
Use Time: 27 (2.2 uses/second)
Mana Cost: 13
*Fires a homing tendril of bladed vessels much like the Vilethorn that seek after enemies.
*Can phase through walls and hit an unlimited number of times before fading.
Recipe:
Crimtane_Bar.png
Crimtane Bars (8)
Tissue_Sample.png
Tissue Samples (8)
@ an Anvil.

Yes, I was inspired by @Baconfry's Vessel Net, and did in fact borrow from the pallet as well.

Swarm Staff
"Commands droves of ravenous corrupt creatures."
Magic Damage: 13
Use Time: 23 (2.6 uses/second)
Mana Cost: 12
*Summons a cloud of flying pests at the cursor's location.
*Cloud spawns tiny pests four times per second that seek out and damage nearby enemies.
*Can only have one summoned cloud at a time.
Recipe:
Demonite_Bar.png
Demonite Bars (8)
Shadow_Scale.png
Shadow Scales (8)
@ an Anvil.

Evil-tiered Ranged weapons have a craftable bow and looted gun. With this, Magic would have a craftable and looted weapons as well. The Crimson has a crafted Flail and a looted Spear, but the Corrruption only has a looted Flail and no counterpart. That's why I'd like to bring Zoomo's Thrasher to light, since it is buried deep in his Cyber thread but deserves a place in the game regardless of the Cyber.

index.php

The Thrasher
*Spear weapon.
Damage: 15
Use Time: 28 (2.14 uses/second)
Knockback: 5
Recipe:
Demonite_Bar.png
Demonite Bars (10)
Shadow_Scale.png
Shadow Scales (5)
@ an Iron Anvil.

That's it for the suggestion feedback is appreciated! Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
See, I'm rather torn here. On one hand, I do feel it's unfair to say "you don't get to use this vilethorn" because you happened to get a Crimson world.

On the other hand, it does force you into different playthroughs.

On a third hand, you can technically just get the stuff from making a new world.
(Yes, I have three hands.)

I'll support, but I think you should raise the use time of the Skewer and lower the damage of the Swarm staff (assuming it's the counterpart to the Crimson Rod and behaves similarly, use time/mana really have very little effect)

I'll support, but I think you should raise the use time of the Skewer and lower the damage of the Swarm staff (assuming it's the counterpart to the Crimson Rod and behaves similarly, use time/mana really have very little effect)
Vessel Skewer: Compared to the Thorn, +20%, but then has +30% Mana Cost, which is a significant drawback.
Swarm Staff: It's supposed to be more powerful than the Crimson Rod (available later), so I think having +1 Damage and homing is okay.

Support from me on this. It'd be nice to have opposite versions of these. Fits with hearts dropping a spear and orbs dropping a flail, but being able to craft a flail from crimtane and a spear from... wait.

I don't think the Vessel Skewer (at the very least) should have homing capabilities, as it's already quite strong (and the Vilethorn is more defensive anyway, so the mana cost isn't as bad). Maybe make enemies bleed?

I don't think the Vessel Skewer (at the very least) should have homing capabilities, as it's already quite strong (and the Vilethorn is more defensive anyway, so the mana cost isn't as bad). Maybe make enemies bleed?
Bleeding just stops regeneration. Enemies don't regenerate in the first place. (Unless you're referring to sz's suggested bleed buff)

Ooooh, I'm tempted to say that the Crimson Rod and Swarm Staff should be made into summoning weapons... the description of the Swarm Staff really fits. Would have to extend that to the Nimbus Rod, though, and then mages would throw a fit. Hmm.

One thing's for sure, though. These weapons are awesome, and I'm really itching to see how they would perform in a fresh playthrough. If I saw this in the 1.3 changelog, I would squeal with joy.

Ooooh, I'm tempted to say that the Crimson Rod and Swarm Staff should be made into summoning weapons... the description of the Swarm Staff really fits. Would have to extend that to the Nimbus Rod, though, and then mages would throw a fit. Hmm.

One thing's for sure, though. These weapons are awesome, and I'm really itching to see how they would perform in a fresh playthrough. If I saw this in the 1.3 changelog, I would squeal with joy.

I see. Anyway, +1 Support SzGamer227

Vessel Skewer: Compared to the Thorn, +20%, but then has +30% Mana Cost, which is a significant drawback.
Swarm Staff: It's supposed to be more powerful than the Crimson Rod (available later), so I think having +1 Damage and homing is okay.

I don't know if that's enough of a drawback. The Vilethorn's base damage is quite low, which means on some enemies the Vessel Skewer would be much more than 20% damage.

Also:

What if you want a weapon with something similar to the other's abilities but cant access it without making a new world? These are the problems I was thinking about when I made this thread.

I don't see it as a problem, rather as a feature. The more the two 'evil' biomes are equalised, the more they begin to feel like copies of each other giving the same experience rather than radically different but equally challenging experience. The latter is harder to do, but that shouldn't be a factor of why it shouldn't happen.

Support from me on this. It'd be nice to have opposite versions of these. Fits with hearts dropping a spear and orbs dropping a flail, but being able to craft a flail from crimtane and a spear from... wait.
Zoomo's got the solution to that:
The Thrasher
index.php

Demonite_Bar.png
(10)
Shadow_Scale.png
(5) at Iron Anvil
power: none
tooltip: none
Attack Type: Spear
speed: average
damage: 15
knockback: Strong
value: 54 silver

I could add that, but I really think it should be homing to make it more unique. It's not a crazy amount of homing; each successive segment would just bend slightly towards an enemy for the next one. I'd say the most it should be able to home is +/- 30 degrees from the starting firing angle.

I don't know if that's enough of a drawback. The Vilethorn's base damage is quite low, which means on some enemies the Vessel Skewer would be much more than 20% damage.
It's a higher-tiered weapon. I has to be better to be fair and fit into the game's balance.
I don't see it as a problem, rather as a feature.
And this has dissolved purely into a matter of opinion.

You covered the homing, so I'm pretty happy with 20-30 degrees deviation. I'll let you handle how it would work over long distances - not like it has any.

I had an idea: what if it kind of squirms as it flies? My first impression of this was some kind of parasitic worm...?

Would have to extend that to the Nimbus Rod, though, and then mages would throw a fit. Hmm.
The way I've experienced it, all classes use the Nimbus - same with the frost hydra and maybe a summoning weapon if they get it. I know I regularly wield it in the moon events, even though my moon character is a tank warrior.

Is my experience similar to others'?

And this has dissolved purely into a matter of opinion.

So?

You claim something to be a certain way, I am stating my disagreement with it. If readers only see one side, they'll be likely to blindly follow that side. That's what you do on the suggestion forums, display opinions. You know that.

It's a higher-tiered weapon. I has to be better to be fair and fit into the game's balance.

So like how the Minishark is fair in the tier it is in (which is technically pre-BoC/EoW)?

It doesn't have to be absolute 'perfect' as the way you see perfect.

Alright, I had an idea for an alternative to the Vessel Skewer (tell me if it's dumb).
  • Slightly more power than the Vilethorn
  • Slower, with less range
  • Wriggles violently as it is cast, so it covers a wider area.

So?

You claim something to be a certain way, I am stating my disagreement with it. If readers only see one side, they'll be likely to blindly follow that side. That's what you do on the suggestion forums, display opinions. You know that.
It has dissolved into a matter of opinion, so arguing won't get anywhere. You believe one way and I believe another, so I leave it at that.

I think more damage ---> more mana cost is a good enough concept. But the Vilethorn is pretty efficient on its mana consumption in the first place as you don't need to spam-cast it because it won't do anything more, so it might just be yet another Crimson weapon that is superior to its corruption equivalent with no practical downsides.

I think more damage ---> more mana cost is a good enough concept. But the Vilethorn is pretty efficient on its mana consumption in the first place as you don't need to spam-cast it because it won't do anything more, so it might just be yet another Crimson weapon that is superior to its corruption equivalent with no practical downsides.

I hate those kind of weapons. Makes me wanna kill the BoC with an EoC Mask. Those kind of weapons are unfair, and in Terraria, the Corruption shouldn't be inferior. Never.

Back
Top Bottom