Weapons & Equip Four Leaf Clover

Master Geass

Terrarian
Sometimes it can be it can be hard to get the drop you want. The Four Lead Clover is a rare accessory found in shadow chests. It increases the odds of weapon, accessory, and tool drops from mobs. It won't do anything for things like the ninja set or the WoF weapons/emblems where you are guarantied to get one and only one but it will help with things like bee vanity set or the boss trophies. Although it will raise the odds of getting an item it won't increase the quantity of items that drop in stacks like bee wax or rainbow blocks.

The odds are raised by a percentage. Let's say for argument's sake that it give a 50% increase. Any one of the Bee set would drop 11.11% of the time. With the Clover it would drop 16.67%. The black belt normally drops 7.14% of the time and would be raised to 10.71%. Banners drop about 0.5% of the time but would then be up to 0.55%.

Perhaps the increase could be adjusted based on how rare it is to begin with. Let's say if the odds are more then 50% there is no bonus, 10 to 50% gives a normal bonus, and less then 10% gives you a double bonus. The beenages drop more then half the time and would be unaffected. The eye of Cthulhu mask drops 14.29% and would be bumped up to 21.44%. The slimy saddle drops 3.33% and gets a double bonus of 6.66%.

It should be noted that the player with the Four Leaf Clover has to hit the mob and not just let them be killed with traps and lava.

not at all overpowered, actually useful, and you have to work for it? hell yeah! maybe getting stuff that is uber-rare will become just infuriatingly rare :D

Problem is that this approach is essentially the same as just bumping up the drop rates for everything in Hardmode. What do you give up to use this? One accessory slot, that's it.

Support! so based on your second paragraph, if my support would be a 100% drop, now what?

Problem is that this approach is essentially the same as just bumping up the drop rates for everything in Hardmode. What do you give up to use this? One accessory slot, that's it.
Make it a full set of armor, possibly? a clover set with the set ability being that it raises drop chance. each individual set pieces could have a small percentage of "doesn't cost ammo", "doesn't cost mana" and "doesn't take damage"
these wouldn't be game breaking amounts, and the armor itself probably wouldn't have that good of a defence, but it's just a thought

One accessory slot is more costly than one inventory slot through potions.
But potions need to be farmed, and don't last forever. Especially not the one we're talking about; that one relies on a rare ingredient.

You won't be able to have Felix by your side whenever you wish, because when you drink it, it's gone, and you need to wait for another Eclipse to obtain it again.

As for the Knife, that circumvents the whole double-drop-rate-for-free issue.

But potions need to be farmed, and don't last forever. Especially not the one we're talking about; that one relies on a rare ingredient.

You won't be able to have Felix by your side whenever you wish, because when you drink it, it's gone, and you need to wait for another Eclipse to obtain it again.

As for the Knife, that circumvents the whole double-drop-rate-for-free issue.
Solving RNG with RNG doesn't sound like a great idea. Eclipses can be incredibly rare, and sometimes won't even happen through a playthrough. Make it too rare with such a minor drop change doesn't make it worth it.

I could see a four leaf clover working well as a plantera drop. Or craftable through a new plantera drop, to help rid of more RNG.

Solving RNG with RNG doesn't sound like a great idea. Eclipses can be incredibly rare, and sometimes won't even happen through a playthrough. Make it too rare with such a minor drop change doesn't make it worth it.

I could see a four leaf clover working well as a plantera drop. Or craftable through a new plantera drop, to help rid of more RNG.
The disclaimer at the top of Felix's thread explicitly states that it's not intended as an alternative to a proper RNG solution (like the Treasure Hunter's Knife). I know it's not enough.

Maybe I worded it wrong in my first post; whether Felix is added or not, we can choose between the Clover and the Knife.

I still don't think an accessory slot is the proper opportunity cost for an increased drop rate. Like I said, it's the same as boosting base drop rates flat-out, just giving up an accessory slot for it (which isn't giving up all that much).

The disclaimer at the top of Felix's thread explicitly states that it's not intended as an alternative to a proper RNG solution (like the Treasure Hunter's Knife). I know it's not enough.

Maybe I worded it wrong in my first post; whether Felix is added or not, we can choose between the Clover and the Knife.

I still don't think an accessory slot is the proper opportunity cost for an increased drop rate. Like I said, it's the same as boosting base drop rates flat-out, just giving up an accessory slot for it (which isn't giving up all that much).
Just like with other accessories.. it's like giving you the effects but having one less slot. An emblem is like having a damage buff but you only have 4 slots. Starting into hardmode, players will soon get wings and probably have an emblem equipped, so with the four leaf clover, this leaves you with 2 or 3 slots.. so I think it's quite costly, just for a 50% increase drop rate. A key mold would only change from 0.04% to 0.06%.

As the game becomes heavily reliant on RNG on Plantera's defeat and onward, the four leaf clover dropping then could help players get the drops they want, though there would need to be a way to increase the boss drop you are wanting. A simple "what weapon type you used" could work. With tougher enemies to battle, it would be up for the player to choose between an ability/more damage or better chance at getting something.

Starting into hardmode, players will soon get wings and probably have an emblem equipped, so with the four leaf clover, this leaves you with 2 or 3 slots.. so I think it's quite costly, just for a 50% increase drop rate.
Believe me, giving up one accessory slot has almost zero effect on a player's combat effectiveness, even against tough enemies.

Red may as well bump the drop rates up directly, that's what I mean. It would play the same way.

Believe me, giving up one accessory slot has almost zero effect on a player's combat effectiveness, even against tough enemies.

Red may as well bump the drop rates up directly, that's what I mean. It would play the same way.
I still think that a potion isn't the way to go. I mean, can you imagine how ticked off you were if you used one trying to get something during a Frost Moon for example, and the Ice Queen just stayed out of your range most of the time( I mean, how many times have you tried to beat one, and the sun comes up and she vanishes? not fun :( )? With them being so hard to get, that would make it feel even more like a gut punch if one got wasted.

I still think that a potion isn't the way to go. I mean, can you imagine how ticked off you were if you used one trying to get something during a Frost Moon for example, and the Ice Queen just stayed out of your range most of the time( I mean, how many times have you tried to beat one, and the sun comes up and she vanishes? not fun :( )? With them being so hard to get, that would make it feel even more like a gut punch if one got wasted.
I didn't propose the potion as the only solution to the problem; it wasn't intended as a solution in the first place (pun fully intended).

It's not Felix vs. Clover, it's Knife vs. Clover.

I didn't propose the potion as the only solution to the problem; it wasn't intended as a solution in the first place (pun fully intended).

It's not Felix vs. Clover, it's Knife vs. Clover.
Fair enough about the potion.

ETA: Wow, TCF saved my post even after I had shut down Chrome, that's pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom