Frost Moon Final Wave in Record Time (Horseman's Blade Semi-Autofarm)

Yes the character NPC statue activation is overkill, but I think it's a good exercise for players to try to build it just to try out different engines. Given our recent discovery (which still needs confirmation) that a sword swing cannot hit more than 4 mobs, this means that the mob box is due for a redesign anyways, especially since Gandalf K has been observing erratic spawn rates when using multiple mob statues versus fewer mob statues for a more stable spawn rate (which also needs some independent verification to make sure it isn't some other factor). I'll be working on this but for the moment the hoiktronics stuff is keeping me busy :).

By the way, you can get the NPC to move in with the teeth deactuated if you raise the roof by 1 tile:

A36F996917F63C4751D5249B825D8D805FED33A7

Last edited:
you can get the NPC to move in with the teeth deactuated if you raise the roof by 1 tile
It looks, from that picture, as if you selected the guide for that house engine with the loading teeth actuated to background, hence the flag is below them. I'm not sure if that will cause a problem: either stopping him moving in, or causing him to fall through the floor...? You going to say it's fine now? Resetting the occupant with the teeth to foreground should show the flag under the true ceiling.

It looks, from that picture, as if you selected the guide for that house engine with the loading teeth actuated to background, hence the flag is below them. I'm not sure if that will cause a problem: either stopping him moving in, or causing him to fall through the floor...? You going to say it's fine now? Resetting the occupant with the teeth to foreground should show the flag under the true ceiling.

No, no problem getting the guide to move in, although I need to revise my earlier statement - you just need to make sure the teeth are in the background for the guide to appear in the house, and at that point even if you de-actuate the teeth to the foreground the guide will not move out off-screen because the house stays valid. If the house is not big enough and the teeth deactuated moving off-screen boots the guide from the room.

26769098D6EA7F3317CBD94048CCCC4C41EA70C6

Teeth deactuated, guide stays put even if I move very far away (although curiously the guide paces back and forth instead of staying put in one spot as NPCs tend to do at night). There's another valid house below.

Here's the original house, and what happens at night with the teeth de-actuated into the foreground:

48363FD76E846D176E1646CA4A1BCAFE55AD4080

The guide moved out of the house on the left the moment the house went off-screen (and moved to the house on the right).

Last edited:
Here's the original house, and what happens at night with the teeth de-actuated into the foreground:
So what does your's do when engine's running (and goes off screen), after you allocated the home with the loading teeth in foreground (for flag on the ceiling), with bigger room?

So what does your's do when engine's running (and goes off screen), after you allocated the home with the loading teeth in foreground (for flag on the ceiling), with bigger room?

I tested the house on a test world so the engine isn't hooked up to anything, but you can still hear the clicks when off-screen so the engine is running. Is that what you're asking about? Do you get different results than me when going off-screen with a bigger house (do you lose the character NPC with teeth in the foreground)?

From my fastest engines guide, there are two places the occupancy flag can be, depending on the state of the state of the mounting teeth when you allocate it. You seem to have always been allocating with the teeth set to background (from screen shots), but what about like this (mechanic), with them solid? (And flag on ceiling.):
index.php

I thought I found that the game doesn't automatically reposition this spawn flag, so I'm wondering if it changes matters depending where it's set originally.

Yes, from my tests: when the teeth are actuated, the occupancy flag appears at the bottom. When they are de-actuated, the flag appears up top.

However, flag position hasn't affected whether the NPC hangs around. In the larger house I can get the NPC to move in only if the teeth are actuated, but the NPC will always stay in the house afterwards (and the flag will remain in that house) regardless of whether the teeth are actuated or de-actuated when I'm off-screen.

My mobile arena got me to pumpkin moon wave 15 no potions with mediocre gear and accessories note I have infinite amounts of picksaws and horse mens blades I have them due to an old character getting corrupt
Screenshot_2015-01-16-22-45-23.png
Screenshot_2015-01-16-18-44-48.png

I have been experimenting with your arena and it is absolutely awesome! I have used other arenas recently and they all relied on using a dungeon spike and star veil to mitigate damage but I see that yours does not do this. I downloaded your world and tried your arena and I keep dying in the later waves. It seems the heart output from the mob statues is not sufficient to keep up with the damage the queen deals to me through the arena box with her attacks. Is my positioning wrong? Am I missing something? The version of your world I am using has 3 mimic statues and 1 shark statue with Hoik NPC engine. I suspect positioning is the issue. Any tips for the novice Grinder user? :-D

I am a huge fan of all your work byw!

I have been experimenting with your arena and it is absolutely awesome! I have used other arenas recently and they all relied on using a dungeon spike and star veil to mitigate damage but I see that yours does not do this. I downloaded your world and tried your arena and I keep dying in the later waves. It seems the heart output from the mob statues is not sufficient to keep up with the damage the queen deals to me through the arena box with her attacks. Is my positioning wrong? Am I missing something? The version of your world I am using has 3 mimic statues and 1 shark statue with Hoik NPC engine. I suspect positioning is the issue. Any tips for the novice Grinder user? :-D

I'm testing out the present configuration (3 Mimic and 1 Shark Statue) since it worked well for Gandalf K who reported getting more consistent moon spawns with the set-up. The key to survival is being close enough to the Shark Statue so that some of the shark hits supersede the hits from the Ice Queen Wave attacks, although you'd also need to be slightly off to the side to make sure you're able to hit 4 mobs per swing (that's the cap from testing). To increase safety you can also add a slime statue to the left of the shark statue (the wiring is in place to activate the slime statue at 6 activation points) and prevent any chances of dying. A full set of potion/food buffs is also key.

I'll be revising this farm again and I'll work on optimizing it further!

I am a huge fan of all your work byw!

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the builds! Many more to come too :).

I keep dying in the later waves
To survive using shark and mimic statues use a cross necklace if you use lower health statues than the sheer amount of them with dropping hearts and the split second damage immunity you will survive with more lower tier mob statues

To survive using shark and mimic statues use a cross necklace if you use lower health statues than the sheer amount of them with dropping hearts and the split second damage immunity you will survive with more lower tier mob statues

True, but those statues are purely to try to set records for final wave times - the cross necklace would take away from the maximum damage you can inflict and thus unfortunately would run counter to why the statues are used in the first place. The event is survivable with the current set-up without the need to resort to any defensive accessories, but the positioning is important to ensure you get frequently hit by the sharks. You can even sit on a dungeon spike if you want to absolutely ensure survival without worrying about positioning, but a slime statue next to the shark statue is better for that purpose.

Thank you for your replies. I was mistakenly trying to avoid getting hit by the sharks thinking they would hurt too much but it makes sense that they would override the Queen far greater damage output. I'll give this a try and see what kinds of times I can manage :)

I gave it a shot using modified placement as per your kind words of advice and I get as far as wave 15 and survive just fine only to have the npc get horribly slaughtered every time LOL! I will try modifying the arena so that his little house is a bit farther away... Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am using map version <DicemanX Ultimate HUB world v6.4>

Wonderful world, Diceman, it's truly helped better my understanding of all kinds of tinkering and engineering in Terraria. I do have one issue, however, though I'm sure I'm just doing something off. In your latest version of the Frost Moon Horseman farm, the shark fins spawn so much that it's actually making some of the Frost Moon drops vanish. Is there a way to avoid killing so many sharks?

Wonderful world, Diceman, it's truly helped better my understanding of all kinds of tinkering and engineering in Terraria. I do have one issue, however, though I'm sure I'm just doing something off. In your latest version of the Frost Moon Horseman farm, the shark fins spawn so much that it's actually making some of the Frost Moon drops vanish. Is there a way to avoid killing so many sharks?

I'm glad the world has served as a way of increasing the understanding of engineering! Hopefully it will inspire you to build your own contraptions as well :).

Regarding your question about the Moon farm: If you want to retain most of the Moon drops, one way to do that is to enable autopause and periodically clear out the fins from your inventory (you should be standing close to the statue that all the fins go into your inventory). The other way of doing it is to replace the shark statue with 1-2 slime statues since their gel drops at least stack to 999.

I plan to do some further optimizations to this farm given the recent discovery that a sword swing can only hit up to 4 mobs. I'll post my approach once the testing is done!

I gave it a shot using modified placement as per your kind words of advice and I get as far as wave 15 and survive just fine only to have the npc get horribly slaughtered every time LOL! I will try modifying the arena so that his little house is a bit farther away... Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am using map version <DicemanX Ultimate HUB world v6.4>

You can actually move the NPC house as far as you want. The current house position was designed to prevent the Ice Queen projectiles from reaching the NPC (since the Ice Queens would have to be at the same level as the player for that to happen) so it's surprising that the NPC died in your run! Still, the problem can be solved by shifting the house - I only built it so close to the arena so that the NPC was visible to the viewer and they could understand what was happening.

Regarding your question about the Moon farm: If you want to retain most of the Moon drops, one way to do that is to enable autopause and periodically clear out the fins from your inventory (you should be standing close to the statue that all the fins go into your inventory). The other way of doing it is to replace the shark statue with 1-2 slime statues since their gel drops at least stack to 999.

Ah yes, autopause, didn't even consider it. Thank you for the prompt reply!

Edit: Also, might I add, I especially enjoy the new teleporter hub, pure genius.

Back
Top Bottom