Game Mechanics Frostburn is put out by water

Fortanono 🌳

Retinazer
My Ice Torch thread (making them be crafted at an Ice Machine) is not really taking off, but I think that there is one thing I have to salvage from there. There are 2 reasons for this: one, Cursed Inferno is useless compared to Frostburn, and two, Frostburn is identical to Venom, which you can only obtain post-Plantera. Back in the day, not being put out in water was Cursed Inferno's niche, but now, Frostburn is identical to Cursed Inferno along with increased damage.

And Venom is supposed to be the strongest DoT debuff there is, obtained post-Plantera, but Frostburn can be obtained on your first night, and they are identical. The Flower of Frost gives Frostburn for 10 seconds, so don't say Venom has longer times. And plus, that doesn't change that they are still the same debuff, but the game wants you to think one is superior by putting it higher up on the ladder.

So, now, here are the DoT debuffs:
  • Poisoned, from Jungle stuff. Weakest, but earliest, DoT debuff you have access to.
  • On Fire!, from the Underworld. 4 DPS, very powerful pre-Hardmode, but if you have water, useless.
  • Frostburn, from the Underground Snow. Better than On Fire!, but still gets put out by water.
  • Cursed Inferno, from the Hardmode Corruption. Not as good as Frostburn, but does not get put out in water, meaning you can compromise damage for length in places with a lot of water.
  • Venom, from the Witch Doctor post-Plantera. Has the best of both worlds (Frostburn and Cursed Inferno), as it does 6 DPS like Frostburn but stays intact in water like Cursed Inferno.
Oh, and this means that we can have mobs in the Underground Snow that give players Frostburn, due to the abundance of water there, but I'll talk about that more in my upcoming Underground Snow Expansion thread.

My Ice Torch thread (making them be crafted at an Ice Machine) is not really taking off, but I think that there is one thing I have to salvage from there. There are 2 reasons for this: one, Cursed Inferno is useless compared to Frostburn, and two, Frostburn is identical to Venom, which you can only obtain post-Plantera. Back in the day, not being put out in water was Cursed Inferno's niche, but now, Frostburn is identical to Cursed Inferno along with increased damage.

And Venom is supposed to be the strongest DoT debuff there is, obtained post-Plantera, but Frostburn can be obtained on your first night, and they are identical. The Flower of Frost gives Frostburn for 10 seconds, so don't say Venom has longer times. And plus, that doesn't change that they are still the same debuff, but the game wants you to think one is superior by putting it higher up on the ladder.

So, now, here are the DoT debuffs:
  • Poisoned, from Jungle stuff. Weakest, but earliest, DoT debuff you have access to.
  • On Fire!, from the Underworld. 4 DPS, very powerful pre-Hardmode, but if you have water, useless.
  • Frostburn, from the Underground Snow. Better than On Fire!, but still gets put out by water.
  • Cursed Inferno, from the Hardmode Corruption. Not as good as Frostburn, but does not get put out in water, meaning you can compromise damage for length in places with a lot of water.
  • Venom, from the Witch Doctor post-Plantera. Has the best of both worlds (Frostburn and Cursed Inferno), as it does 6 DPS like Frostburn but stays intact in water like Cursed Inferno.
Oh, and this means that we can have mobs in the Underground Snow that give players Frostburn, due to the abundance of water there, but I'll talk about that more in my upcoming Underground Snow Expansion thread.
No support, like, really?

1: "Has the best of both worlds" "HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORDS" "HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORDS". To my information, you mean both Crimson and Corrupt worlds, making this false info. You CANNOT get Cursed Flames in Crimson worlds without transferring.

2: Here's a simpler solution: Weakening Frostburn. This whole "Water > Frostburn" thing makes no sense, as Frostburn is Fire and Ice combined, and Ice freezes water, so it should freeze water instead of become ineffective than water if anything (you're applying Real-life fire logic so I'm applying Real-life ice logic).

3: Just because Venom is post-Plantera, doesn't mean it should be the most effective. Like dude, if anything, I'd aim at making Venom a unique debuff than just making it stay in water and do same damage as Frostburn.

Apologies about my rant, but I had to mention the reasons why I do NOT support this.

Last edited:

1: "Has the best of both worlds" "HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORDS" "HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORDS". To my information, you mean both Crimson and Corrupt worlds, making this false info. You CANNOT get Cursed Flames in Crimson worlds without transferring.

2: Here's a simpler solution: Weakening Frostburn. This whole "Water > Frostburn" thing makes no sense, as Frostburn is Fire and Ice combined, and Ice freezes water, so it should freeze water instead of become ineffective than water if anything (you're applying rEAL-lfire logic so I'm applying ice logic).

3: Just because Venom is post-Plantera, doesn't mean it should be the most effective. Like dude, if anything, I'd aim at making Venom a unique debuff than just making it stay in water and do same damage as Frostburn.

Apologies about my rant, but I had to mention the reasons why I do NOT support this.
For Jesus Christ's sake, "Best of both worlds" is an idiom meaning something has 2 benefits compared to 2 other things, each having 1 benefit. In this case, Venom has attributes of Frostburn (higher damage) and Cursed Inferno (water immunity). You don't have to be a Native speaker to know this.

For Jesus Christ's sake, "Best of both worlds" is an idiom meaning something has 2 benefits compared to 2 other things, each having 1 benefit. In this case, Venom has attributes of Frostburn (higher damage) and Cursed Inferno (water immunity). You don't have to be a Native speaker to know this.
Venom still doesn't have to be some upgrade to Frostburn, though, it doesn't deserve such treatment if anything. Look at the Bubble Gun and Razorblade Typhoon - they were ORIGINAL, useful and unique content added for endgame. Meanwhile, with this, it doesn't bother making Venom more unique, but just make it some upgrade to Frostburn.

Did we have a Magic Weapon like the Razorblade Typhoon or Bubble Gun before Fishron? No.

2) On my part, sorry, but nobody knows everything.

Or we could lower Frostburn's DPS and call it good.

In fact, just make Cursed Inferno 6 and Frostburn 4. That essentially solves that part, giving cursed flames more use than Frostburn. As for venom, you could buff the damage or make it last for longer, or add a secondary effect (reducing defense?)

2: Here's a simpler solution: Weakening Frostburn. This whole "Water > Frostburn" thing makes no sense, as Frostburn is Fire and Ice combined, and Ice freezes water, so it should freeze water instead of become ineffective than water if anything (you're applying Real-life fire logic so I'm applying Real-life ice logic).

Wow. Sorry for suggesting this... I guess?

i would just make frostburn arrows craftable with frost cores from ice golems. making it put out by water doesn't make sense, it's either really hot or really cold, but either way it REALLY hurts. and if it's cold, jumping in water will just make it worse, especially in a snow biome.

It wouldn´t make sense, and, after a short while, Frostburn Arrows begin to lose power compared to most arrows available later on, while Frost Armor isn´t as powerful as more specialized sets.
If anything, Venom should be buffed, along with affecting more enemies. Right now, the reason Frostburn is THE most powerful DoT debuff isn´t because it has a relatively high DPS, but because only a handful of enemies are inmune to it (To be exact, those mobs are Hellhounds, Mourning Wood, Ice Elementals, Ice Golems and Duke Fishron), while every single mob inmune to Poison (Read: Most important enemies) is also inmune to Venom. In fact, it´s only real use is that the ammo that inflicts Venom also has the highest damage per hit, making it a way to quickly get lots of ammo.

1. Frostburn, Cursed Inferno, Venom and Poison does not get "put out" by water, only the "On Fire!"-debuff can be removed by water

The following information was taken from this site: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Debuff and the articles for the debuffs "in question"

Poison: -2 life per second, lasts 7-10 seconds (14-20 damage over all)

On Fire!: -4 life per second, lasts 3-7 seconds (12-28 damage over all) <- DOES GET PUT OUT BY WATER

Forstburn: -6 life per second, lasts 1-8 seconds (6-48 damage over all)

Venom: -6 life per second, lasts 8 seconds (48 damage over all)

Cursed Inferno: -4 life per second, lasts 7 seconds (28 damage over all)

Meaning, the AVERAGE DAMAGE of each debuff is:

1. Venom: 48 life (always lasts 8 seconds)

2. Cursed Inferno: 28 life (always lasts 7 seconds)

3. Frostburn: 27 life

4. On Fire!: 20 life (gets put out by water)

5. Posion: 17 life

1. Frostburn, Cursed Inferno, Venom and Poison does not get "put out" by water, only the "On Fire!"-debuff can be removed by water

The following information was taken from this site: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Debuff and the articles for the debuffs "in question"

Poison: -2 life per second, lasts 7-10 seconds (14-20 damage over all)

On Fire!: -4 life per second, lasts 3-7 seconds (12-28 damage over all) <- DOES GET PUT OUT BY WATER

Forstburn: -6 life per second, lasts 1-8 seconds (6-48 damage over all)

Venom: -6 life per second, lasts 8 seconds (48 damage over all)

Cursed Inferno: -4 life per second, lasts 7 seconds (28 damage over all)

Meaning, the AVERAGE DAMAGE of each debuff is:

1. Venom: 48 life (always lasts 8 seconds)

2. Cursed Inferno: 28 life (always lasts 7 seconds)

3. Frostburn: 27 life

4. On Fire!: 20 life (gets put out by water)

5. Posion: 17 life
there is only one problem: 99.99% of the enemies in hardmode is immune to Venom. that's the only problem.

I did only list the damage, ON THE PLAYER, and not ITS EFFICIENCY AGAINST ANYTHING. Next time, READ before TALKING.

I can see this nerf working pre-hardmode if Frostburn gets nerfed, but not in Hardmode. DoT debuffs need to be reworked to be actually useful in HM.

Back
Top Bottom