Items Ghost Ship mount

How is it?

• Concept is good.

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • Sprite is good.

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • But it's just a teensy bit broken. (How?)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
I love mounts. Who doesn't? Sure, they tend to have useful movement bonuses, but more importantly, they look badass. (Except for you, bunny.)

This mount I'm suggesting here is a bit more on the functional side, see. As always, it's probably better for me to just start explaining.

ghostship.png

Ghost Ship
Crafted with:
40 Ectoplasm
Ghostly Mast, Angler's quest reward from 40 and onwards.
Ghostly Wheel, dropped by Armored Viking (0.8%).
(Too lazy to sprite those two.)

Yes, I know that the crafting recipe makes it incredibly hard to obtain. Just listen up and we'll talk later about whether it's justified, okay?

The Ghost Ship mount can fly for a limited time, just like any other mount. In its normal form, it hovers a small distance above the ground. It gets interesting, however, when you hit SHIFT. As long as it's held, the player's breath meter will appear. And the ship will start sinking through solid matter.

The mount, while in ghost form, treats solid blocks as if they were liquid, and can move freely through them, with no limit to flight time. (Don't let go of the SHIFT key!) However, movement is slowed significantly. And if you have not exited the walls when you release the SHIFT key, you will be stuck, and your breath meter will not disappear. (I'm considering inflicting the Suffocating debuff in this situation as well, if necessary.)

Neptune's Shell will not activate during the ride, but Diving Gear will work. People have a tough enough time giving up an accessory slot for it anyways.

This mount is almost an alternative to the Rod of Discord. Now do you see why I made it so difficult to obtain?

Anyways, feel free to discuss, and have fun. Hopefully I haven't suggested something that will break the game.

Last edited:
I would suggest making it SHIFT instead of S (what if you want to pass through something above you)

Passing through something above you is just a combination of DOWN and SPACEBAR.
Using S makes the controls feel un-intuitive. S is used for moving downward in nearly every case (ex: featherfall, ropes, platforms), so it feels inconsistent with the game to use S as the "activate thingy" button.

This is the same reason why I have issues with how Hoverboard works, but that's a different matter.

what about the W key or up? I don't think the up key does anything except climb ropes.
I dunno, actually. I just default to the DOWN key when adding functionalities.
UP is used for the Gravitation Potion too, I think.

Anyways, Varler's solution is probably the best. As long as it's not the only use of the SHIFT key, we should be fine if we describe it well in the tooltip. I always used SHIFT as the hotkey for Dark Sight in Maplestory, anyways, so it shouldn't be hard to learn.

Sure, sounds cool. The entire time i was reading of this I thought about that ghost pirate dude and his cursed ship from spongebob. He was annoying...

Ugh, I'll just pick a key that hasn't been used yet.

Edit: small problem. Thumb on spacebar, index on D, ring on A. That leaves my pinky for Shift, or my third social-gesturing finger for either W or S. Will it be W or S?

Last edited:
Stop making good suggestions that I support (JK)!

SUPPORT LEVEL: 92/100

Concept is good. Sprite is great. Everything checks out!
index.php

The only thing I have to say is that you don't have to make it so hard to obtain. This would be an endgame item whereas the RoD is just plain Hardmode. That, and there's a Lunar super digger-y mount in the Lunar tier that is more powerful and has greater ease of use than this.

Oh! What if we introduced a new enemy to the Underground Snow biome instead of having the Ghostly Wheel be dropped by the common rabble? I'm thinking that a Viking Specter (or Spectre) would spawn at night, and have a 2% chance to drop the wheel instead of 0.8%.

Viking Specters would alternate between Fighter and Wraith movement patterns, switching to and from Wraith movement in the same instances that Pigrons switch in and out of their "faded" state. (This would mean that a new enemy behavior can be introduced while still salvaging bits from other movement patterns.) They would have 600 health, deal 70 damage, and have 36 defense.

What do you think? :)

This. I like this. This would make the hunt easier, I would be like a landshark rising from behind the soil to strike at my victim.

This. Just this.

I like pirates, mainly because I just recently discovered Alestorm (good band, do recommend) and this would surely make me happy and nice inside.

This should be post-Lunar, imo.

Back
Top Bottom