Biomes & Nature [Hallow Alt] THE FLOURISH- A Different View of Chaos

stormconure

Duke Fishron
I have seen a large number of threads suggesting possible alternate Hallows. Some were funny, some were clever, and others were downright mind-blowing *cough Cyber cough*, but I haven't seen anything quite like this. I have always loved nature, so I thought, why not make a biome revolving around the fact that nature has gone completely out of control? Well, here it is at long last. I present my humble alt-hallow idea: The Flourish!

The Flourish is a biome full of life. Plants spread like wildfire, animals grow to massive sizes, and it seems that even the land itself is alive. This living land wants to keep all humans out at all cost, with the fear that humans are destroyers of life- which, based on history, they are. It creates powerful creatures bent on the player's destruction, and eventually hopes to take over the world.

This biome will not receive an alt corruption, as many other alt hallows did. Instead, it is purely meant to counter the Crimson. It does this by taking the same element- Chaos- and showing it in the form of Life rather than Death. I realize this goes directly against the almighty Cyber. And I realize it probably doesn't even compare to the Cyber. But I'm pretty proud of it, and hey, who says two suggestions can't compete against each other? Both could be equally valid. So anyway... Here ya go!

The Primal Forces of Chaos have been unleashed...

FlourishTree.png

MossStone.png
Moss Stone
AlgaeSand.png
Algae Sand
Hardened Algae Sand
Mossy Sandstone
FlourishGrass.png
Flourish Grass
LivingDirt.png
Living Dirt
GreenIce.png
Green Ice
Greenwood.png
Greenwood
LanternFlower.png
Lantern Flower- grows on Moss Stone like Crystal Shards. Any non-hallow things made with crystal shards can also be made with Lantern Flowers.

-All enemies in the Flourish have a 1/5 chance to drop a Soul of Light.

The equipment in the Flourish is focused less on combat ability and more on keeping the wielder alive. Most of the weapons are very fast and light and the accessories provide survivability. It is geared toward quick players who prefer speed over power.

Vital Bars
VitalBar.png

Dropped from mechs in place of Hallowed. All non-hallow things in the game that require Hallowed Bars (frost armor, optic staff, etc) can alternatively use Vital Bars.

Armor: Vitality Armor
VitalMask.png
Vitality Mask (melee): 20 defense, +15% melee damage and speed. Crafting: (same for all helmets) 12 Vital Bars @ Mythril Anvil
VitalHat.png
Vitality Hat (magic): 4 defense, +120 max mana, +15% magic damage, -10% mana usage
VitalHelmet.png
Vitality Helmet (ranger): 6 defense, +30% chance not to consume ammo, +10% ranged damage and velocity
VitalChainmail.png
Vitality Chainmail: 15 defense, +10% crit. Crafting: 16 Vital Bars @
Mythril_Anvil.png

VitalGreaves.png
Vitality Pants: 8 defense, +20% movement speed. Crafting: 18 Vital Bars @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Set Bonus: after not taking damage for 10 seconds, you get a regen boost comparable to that of Campfires. After another 10 seconds it goes to Level 2 and the regen is comparable to Crimson armor. After another 10 seconds, a total of 30 seconds, the regen grows comparable to the buff of Palladium armor. Taking damage subtracts 1 level from the buff. DoT Debuffs will not subtract levels, but they will prevent the buff from stacking further until they are gone.

Dungeon Chest Weapon: Staff of the Thorn Bush
SotTB.png
ThornBushMinion.png

Damage: 40-60 magic
Mana: 15
Mechanics: throws a seed that flies through the air comparably to a wooden arrow from a wooden bow. Flying seed does base 40 damage. However, upon hitting a block, it latches onto it and starts to grow into a thorn bush. Over the course of 10 seconds, the thorn bush grows steadily bigger, and its base damage goes steadily from 40 to 60 as it grows larger. Any enemy that walks into it takes damage according to the bush's growth, and any enemy standing inside the bush takes 1 hit per second. After 60 seconds, it fades. Up to 3 bushes can be active at once; if more are summoned, the oldest one fades.
Found in: Flourish Chest, requires Flourish Key
FlourishChest.png
FlourishKey.png

Mightosis
Mightosis.png

Tooltip: "So sharp it will split your cells in half." (Get it, Mitosis? No? Ok...)
Crafting: 12 Vital Bars
Damage: 30 melee
Speed: 18 (fast)
Knockback: weak
Reach: short

True Mightosis
TrueMightosis.png

Crafting:
Mightosis.png

Damage: 52 melee
Speed: 13 (very fast)
Knockback: average
Details: fires an extremely fast swordbeam. Swordbeam can fly through one block wide gaps. Can't bounce or pierce. Swordbeam is dark green and emits average light.

As stated in the previous Hallow Alt threads, the Night's Edge doesn't fit very well with the Crimson. The next two swords are my take on a Crimson ultimate sword series.

Deathrazer
Deathrazer.png

Crafting:
Muramasa.png
Fiery_Greatsword.png
Blade_of_Grass.png
Blood_Butcherer.png
@
Crimson_Altar.png

Damage: 48 melee
Speed: 30 (slow)
Reach: long

True Deathrazer
TrueDeathrazer.png

Crafting:
Deathrazer.png
Broken_Hero_Sword.png
@
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 80 melee
Speed: 25 (average)
Knockback: very strong
Details: fires a very large, spinning sword projectile that travels half as fast as a Terra Beam and pierces 2 times. Projectile is dark red and emits average light.

Terra Brand
TerraSplice.png

Crafting:
TrueMightosis.png
TrueDeathrazer.png
Broken_Hero_Sword.png
@
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 84 melee
Speed: 16 (fast)
Reach: very long
Fires a swordbeam that moves slightly slower than the Terra Blade, but travels 1.5x as far and pierces 4 enemies (hitting a total of 5 before breaking). Can autoswing.

Cleafer
Cleafer.png
(cleaver + leaf, get it?)
Crafting: 12 Vital Bars @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 38 melee
Speed: 19 (fast)
Knockback: extremely strong
Reach: extremely long

Repetition
VitalizedRepeater.png

Crafting: 12 Vital Bars @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 36 ranged
Speed: 15 (fast)
Ammo: Arrows
Velocity: very fast

Drillsaw
Sawdrill.png

Crafting: 18 Vital Bars and 1 of each boss soul @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Stats: Same as the Drax

Pick Axe
PickAxe.png

Crafting: 18 Vital Bars and 1 of each boss soul @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Stats: Same as the Pickaxe Axe

Bloomerang
Bloomerang.png

Crafting: 4
LanternFlower.png
, 3
Soul_of_Light.gif
, 5
Soul_of_Might.gif
@
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 32
Attack Speed: 12 (very fast)
Max Stack: 3
Details: leaves a trail of pollen as it flies that fades after ~3 seconds. Any enemies that hit this pollen trail are inflicted with Slowness for 10 seconds.

Tome Weapon: Flower Trap
FlowerTrap.png

Crafting: 1
Spell_Tome.png
, 15
Soul_of_Light.gif
, 30
LanternFlower.png
@
Bookcase.png

Damage: 20 magic
Speed: 28 (average)
Mana: 6
Knockback: none
Details: fires a tiny pink flower that latches onto enemies that it hits. It stays latched on for 5 seconds, hitting 3 times per second.

Cellular Infiltration Device (C.I.D.)
C.I.D..png

Dropped by Shape Shifters in the underground
Accessory: when equipped, allows you to sprint short distances (similarly to the Tabi) when double tapping. While sprinting, you will clip through walls that you run into. Travelling through walls will cause 5 damage per block traveled, but will give immunity to liquids. If you press the up or down arrow keys you can travel up or down respectively, even through walls. After 10 blocks of not travelling through anything, you will stop dashing. Stopping before exiting a wall will freeze you there and cause suffocation.

Scarab Scepter
ScarabScepter.png

Crafting: 20
Soul_of_Sight.gif
, 10
Soul_of_Light.gif
, 5 Antlers, 15 Lantern Flowers, 30 Scarab Wings @
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 68 magic
Attack Speed: 15 (fast)
Mana: 12
Details: casts a flying beetle projectile that follows your cursor. Upon hitting an enemy or block, it will shatter, spewing shell bits everywhere that deal 1/3 the weapon's base damage.

The Destabilizer
S.M.A.S.H..png

Drops from WoF 100%.
Stats: exactly like the PWNhammer.

Mace of Insanity
WoS.png

Crafting: 1 Red Essence, 1 Green Essence, 7
Soul_of_Light.gif
, 7
Soul_of_Night.gif
@
Mythril_Anvil.png

Damage: 52 melee
Details: Normal Flail. May inflict Confused.

Strange Fruit (Mount item)
StrangeFruit.png

Tooltip: 'It seems to radiate various elemental powers.'
Summons a Fire Fly, Lightningbug, or Frost Hornet mount. Each is randomly selected on use (like the fairy bell), and all of them behave the same- the difference is purely cosmetic.
Details: Very long flight time, but flight is not infinite. Enemies that you come in contact with while riding this mount will be damaged. Speed is about as fast as the UFO mount.
FireFlyMount.png
ThunderBugMount.png
WaspMount.png

Thorn Whip
ThornWhip.png

Dropped by Flourish Mimics.
Damage: 45 melee
Details: Fires a long whip-like projectile like the Solar Eruption, but instantly retracts on contact with an enemy or block. May inflict Poison or Slow on enemies. Range is about twice as long as the Solar Eruption.

Floral Hook
FloralHook.png

Reach: 30 tiles
Hook Count: 3
Details: Normal grappling hook. Emits very faint blue light.

Petal Burst
PetalBurst.png

Damage: 25 magic
Mana: 15
Attack Speed: 30 (slow)
Details: fires 12 damaging petals in a circular pattern out from the player's location. Petals will pierce up to 2 times and won't go through blocks.

Scarab Slinger
ScarabSlinger.png

Damage: 40 ranged on initial shot, 35 from Scarabs
Attack Speed: 20 (average)
Details: Bullets that are fired from it explode into 3 homing Scarab projectiles on contact which can bounce 3 times and don't pierce. Bullets explode regardless of other effects, even if they would normally bounce or pierce. Bullet's initial effects remain in place (e.g. Chlorophyte is still homing, etc).

In the Flourish, animals from all different types of forests thrive. They... Well... Flourish. And they all want to serve their land- by getting the Player OUT.

Scarab
Scarab.png

HP: 175
Damage: 62
Defense: 30
Movement Speed: slow
Spawn: Flourish surface, all times
Details: flies at the player with the same AI as pixies, but much more slowly. Occasionally they will land on the ground if they can't directly see the player. Can inflict Confused.
Drops: Trifold Map 1%, 1-2 Scarab Wings 100%

Moose
Moose.png

HP: 450
Damage: 58
Defense: 35
Movement Speed: fast
Spawn: Flourish surface, all times
Details: Unicorn AI. Getting hit will throw you up into the air, unless you have KB resist. Can inflict Slowness.
Drops: Antler 100%, Fast Clock 1%

Fire Fly
FireFly.png

HP: 90
Damage: 65 fireballs, 52 melee.
Defense: 0
Movement Speed: very fast
Spawn: Flourish surface, night
Details: The much more quick-witted cousin of the Gastropod, the Fire Fly trades HP and defense for DPS- in the form of high damage, high attack speed, and high movement speed. Every 2 seconds, the Fire Fly throws a fireball that behaves similarly to the flower of fire. It can bounce 3 times before dissipating, but hitting a player will cause it to fade instantly. Both the ranged and melee attacks of the Fire Fly can inflict On Fire.
Drops: Strange Fruit (0.67%)
I know, Fireflies are already a night critter. But the critter is named Firefly, whereas this is literally a Fire Fly (2 words not one) because it shoots fire.

Lightningbug
ThunderBug.png

HP: 120
Damage: 70 sparks, 40 melee
Defense: 8
Spawn: surface, rain
Details: Lightningbugs first attempt to fly at the player in the same style as pixies. Once they get within about 2-3 blocks, they charge up for a second while staying still, then release an electric spark burst that affects a 4-5 block radius around them. The spark stops after a couple seconds and they charge at the player again.

Frost Hornet
FrostWasp.png

HP: 180
Damage: 40 frost stinger, 20 melee
Defense: 16
Movement Speed: average
Spawn: Flourish underground, all times
Details: Hornet AI. Attempts to shoot frost stingers at the player. Stingers can inflict Chilled, and very rarely Frozen.

Shape Shifter
ShapeShifter.png
(cloud form)
HP: 750
Other Stats: varies
Details: Shape Shifters do what their name implies- they can change form. About as often as Chaos Elemental teleportation, they will transform into any random Flourish-native mob, taking on that mob's attack, defense, and speed stats.
They spawn in the form of a haze, a slightly-transparent cloud of mist. In this form, they do no damage, but they are immune to all damage and have the ability to clip through walls trying to reach the player. They will then turn into a random mob. If a Shape Shifter has no way to reach the player, it will revert back to fog form and go directly at the player ignoring walls.
Drops: C.I.D. 0.2%

Vine Mummy
VineMummy.png

HP: 250
Damage: 40
Defense: 20
Spawn: Flourish Desert
Details: Normal Fighter AI. May inflict Confused or Darkness.
Drops: Green Essence 10%, Trifold Map 1%, Blindfold 1%

Blood Mummy
BloodMummy.png

HP: 190
Damage: 55
Defense: 12
Spawn: Crimson Desert
Details: Normal Fighter AI. May inflict Silenced.
Drops: Red Essence 10%, Megaphone 1%

Living Spear
LivingSpear.png

HP: 350
Damage: 60
Defense: 20
Details: Enchanted Weapon AI. May inflict Cursed. Same base appearance as Cleafer.
Drops: Nazar 1%

Mutant Ghoul
MutantGhoul.png

HP: 270
Damage: 65
Defense: 28
Movement Speed: fast
Spawn: Flourish desert underground, all times
Details: Normal fighter AI, like other ghouls. Inflicts Silenced.
Drops: Green Essence 6.67%, Megaphone 1%

Locust Trio
LocustTrio.png

HP: 330
Damage: 63/42/21
Defense: 18
Spawn: Flourish surface, day. More plants growing on the surface (tall grass, etc) increase its spawn chance. Also has a 2% chance to spawn every time one of these plants is cut down.
Details: Appears as three locusts flying close together; however, it's treated as one entity. At 2/3 HP and again at 1/3 HP, one of the locusts is killed, and the damage stat of the swarm is decreased by 1/3. Has a chance to inflict Darkness.
Drops: Blindfold 1% (only when the last locust is killed, HP=0)

Flourish Mimic
FlourishMimic1.png
FlourishMimic2.png

Base Stats: Same as other Big Mimics
Drops: Thorn Whip 25%, Floral Hook 25%, Petal Burst 25%, Scarab Slinger 25%, Greater Healing and Mana Potions (10 of each) 100%

Note: all items in the game that are not hallow-related but require hallow-related materials can also be crafted with the respective Flourish materials.

Scarab Wing
ScarabWing.png

Drops from Scarabs. Material.
Can replace Pixie Dust in non-Hallow crafting recipes.

Antler
Antler.png

Drops from Moose. Material.
Can replace Unicorn Horn in non-Hallow recipes.

Dark Green Solution
DarkGreenSolution.png

Bought from Steampunker in Flourish for 20 Silver.
Clentaminator ammo. Spreads Flourish.

Glowing Bullet
GlowingBullet.png

Crafting: 100
Musket_Ball.png
, 1 Lantern Flower @
Mythril_Anvil.png
(gives 100)
Gun ammunition. 0 base ranged damage (uses gun's damage only). Upon hitting an enemy, this bullet will ricochet towards the nearest enemy within 10 blocks. Can hit 3 enemies before breaking. (Separate segments of Worm enemies are counted as new targets, so this bullet will hit a single worm 3 times.) Emits average light when fired. Does not bounce off walls.

Luminous Arrow
LuminousArrow.png

Crafting: 200
Wooden_Arrow.png
, 3 Lantern Flower, 1 Antler @
Mythril_Anvil.png
(gives 200)
Bow/Repeater ammunition. 10 base ranged damage. Upon hitting an enemy or block, the area around the impact point is filled with bright blue light for 3 seconds. Useful for uncovering map areas or revealing the location of enemies. Emits average light when fired.

Glow Dart
GlowDart.png

Crafting: 1 Lantern Flower (gives 100)
Used with Blowgun, Blowpipe, Dart Pistol, or Dart Rifle. 12 base ranged damage. Unaffected by gravity. Extremely high knockback. Cannot bounce or pierce.

Green Essence
GreenEssence.png

Drops from Vine Mummies. Material.

Red Essence
RedEssence.png

Drops from Blood Mummies. Material.

So yeah, that's it for this suggestion. I really don't have much more to say from here, so I'll just ask: What do you think? I hope you liked it! Assuming you read the whole thing (which you probably didn't).

@Snickerbobble, for giving a few suggestions and reviewing
@AntithesisEK and @Vikri for reviewing

Please note: I think the sprites I made for this are acceptable (for now), but certainly not top-tier. I am no artist by any means. If there's anyone out there who actually wants to take several days out of their time and make better sprites for me, I'd gladly accept it. But otherwise, just bear in mind that if this ever gets added, the devs will probably make concept art/sprites that are MUCH better than anything I could ever provide.

Some sprites are still pending (though most are complete) and I need to do a bit of reformatting because I copied this from where I had saved it in another location, but all of the content is here and complete (I think). If you find any content that I missed please let me know, but please realize that the sprites will be finished shortly. Yes, I am making them all myself.

Last edited:
1st off, this is impressive dedication you have for working on this suggestion for more than a year. It is fun to see the result of your work appearing at last. And to appear as a "full release" and not a WIP.

Believe it or not, I have took the time needed to read your full suggestion, because it deserves to be read in detail. I really like your Suggestion overall. Since I'm a fan of nature, and mutant creatures as well, and it would be a great contrast to the Crimson with having a type of more "living organic biome that represent's nature's power" compared to the Crimson's "Decaying flesh" theme. No need to worry about comparing your suggestion to the Cyber since you're going for your own take on an Alt. Hallow which hasn't been officially set in stone :dryadsmile:.

The Alt. Terra Blade Family seems very interesting as well and love how the Mightosis comes from Mitosis. The Thorn Whip also makes a great Melee weapons since it is always fun seeing more "chain whip" weapons like the Solar Eruption/Chain Knife/Chain Guillotines. As well as the C.I.D. being a very creative alt to the Rod of Discord which gives great traveling abilities in a different form.

Only thing I could see from analyzing it was that the set bonus of the Vitality Armor seems a little long for it to be practical enough for normal use. Either making it so getting hit reduces the regen level by 1 rather than just going completely back to 0 (like the Beetle Armor/Solar Armor) Or reducing it so that it takes a little less time for the Regen level to increase. Not sure if that may be considered too overpowered, but as it is now it just seems a little underpowered based on the Tier you would acquire it based on the feeling I get from it.

Overall, very great job with your suggestion! Congrats on being able to get your idea that has been in your head for over a year out onto a post to let it all out!

Thanks for the feedback on that. And as for what you said about the armor's set bonus: I wrote most of the concept before 1.3 was even released, so I didn't have as much of a good idea on how stacking bonuses should work (because there weren't very many back then). I think I actually do like your idea better.

love the puns, especially moss stone. this is pretty cool, i like the sprites. seems like it might make a better jungle alt than hallow, but whatever. good job!

love the puns, especially moss stone. this is pretty cool, i like the sprites. seems like it might make a better jungle alt than hallow, but whatever. good job!
Uh... Moss Stone isn't even supposed to be a pun... What did you think it meant?

This looks really good, although the "flowerang" could be changed to "Bloomerang". It's really cool!
Bloomerang is already a plant in PVZ2... I was gonna make it that but then I realized I didnt want it to seem like I was copying :/
Also Snickerbobble's alt jungle had a bloomerang, again I didnt want to copy

it's too bad you can't make it a mod.
I don't know how to program mods, but I do have a basic knowledge of programming in general, so if I could learn how to make mods then I may actually make an attempt at it. Would be quite a challenge, though.

I don't know how to program mods, but I do have a basic knowledge of programming in general, so if I could learn how to make mods then I may actually make an attempt at it. Would be quite a challenge, though.
I know that tMod is set up to be easier to learn and code. Threads are very helpful. Your mod is very thoughtful. Not cluttered; interesting, and, even though they do have a few other "alt" biomes- I believe 3 mods are making some, I haven't seen it like your's. It's a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom