Hoiktronics: Playable In-game Video Game (Space Invaders, Terraria style)!

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
My latest invention is a video game that is playable inside Terraria! Granted it's fairly primitive by game standards, but we need to start somewhere, and my build showcases some mechanisms that can be used in more elaborate games.

Video:

In-game Screenshot:

1E43D9516A12F3C5E1A55E55D5D55E145D6FE684

The game screen is on the right, the score is displayed on the left, and near the player are the four control levers.

The object of the game is to destroy as many alien ships (indicated by blue lights) that pop up on the far right within the time allotted (25 seconds). Each lever fires one of four lasers. If the laser hits the alien ship before it disappears, the ship gets destroyed and a point is added to the score. The alien ships appear randomly in one of four positions.

Full pic of Set-up:

3uJBjfu.jpg

Wiring:

gBajW9q.jpg

Mechanism:

A lever on the left in the player room is pulled to kick start things. That lever does three things:

1) Sends a skeleton through the reset mechanism on the left.
2) Starts the countdown timer cascade consisting of 6 5-second timers.
3) Activates the bird statue in the pseudo-RNG mechanism on the far right.

The pseudo-RNG mechanism consists of doors that can open in one of two directions, and dictate the path the bird will take. Thanks to Paranoid for the initial design:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threa...izer-the-closest-to-random-you-can-get.90591/

The bird in the RNG mechanism briefly turns on one of the four sets of blue torches (signifying an alien ship materializing) and de-actuates a block in one of the four skeleton tracks representing the four lasers. When the block is de-actuated the skeleton ends up hitting an extra pair of pressure plates, which both activate the red lights that signify an explosion, and send a skeleton into the counter mechanism on the far left connected to the 7-segment display.

Once the RNG mechanism is activated, the player uses the four levers to send skeletons down 4 hoik tracks, which show up on screen as a line of torches which are turned off at the end of each track. If a skeleton is sent down a track when the alien ship materializes on screen, the skeleton will activate the extra pair of pressure plates as indicated above, scoring a "hit" and resulting in a point being added to the tally represented by the 7-segment display.

When the timer cascade reaches the activation of the final 5-second timer (after 25 seconds), it activates a bird statue, causing the summoned bird to turn off that final 5-second timer via a pressure plate, and shut off the main path the birds take in the RNG mechanism (sending the next bird down a path that only leads to that bird's death).

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRHA0TE0xeC1uWG8/view?usp=sharing

To reach the video game, use the code B6 in the teleporter hub.

ZeroGravitas' Guide to Hoiktronics:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/hoiktronics-what-is-it-guide.8371/

Last edited:
Awesome! A good showcase to prove wiring can be used for more than just farming.

I think it would be interesting building something alike on an edge of the world for more "screen" width (bottom would be awesome for an arcade like feeling). That would mean less space to wire the inputs though, hmm.

I was surprised that you posted it here, and not on the T-mec social forum. Seems more like a wiring novelty/showcase rather than a "guide" :p.

Awesome! A good showcase to prove wiring can be used for more than just farming.

I think it would be interesting building something alike on an edge of the world for more "screen" width (bottom would be awesome for an arcade like feeling). That would mean less space to wire the inputs though, hmm.

I was surprised that you posted it here, and not on the T-mec social forum. Seems more like a wiring novelty/showcase rather than a "guide" :p.

Yeah it's a good idea going forward to build at the edge of the world to bring more of the in-game screen into view! Might be necessary to do that for more elaborate games that need bigger screens.

Regarding posting in T-MEC - I usually post projects there that are either works in progress or need some sort of application. Finished pieces go here for more exposure :).

Chippy Gaming sent me here!

Great job, this is awesome :D

So nice of ChippyGaming for the promotion! I really hope we attract even more players to the engineering side of Terraria - we need do do some catching up to minecraft and the amazing stuff that has been built there!

So nice of ChippyGaming for the promotion! I really hope we attract even more players to the engineering side of Terraria - we need do do some catching up to minecraft and the amazing stuff that has been built there!
Of course!

There are many builds with redstone in minecraft, so why not build amazing stuff with wiring in Terraria? :)

Your a wizard Harry.

Amazing... I seen your world on Terraria on a video from ChippyGaming and let me just say it is amazing best world I ever seen come from Terraria.

Absolutely amazing. I watched the game in progress but won't watch how you made it. I don't want my head to explode. :)

I'm actually planning to speak for the first time in an upcoming youtube video so that I can explain the hoiktronics builds, since annotations aren't enough. However, before my instructional video, I'll put out several more videos of other builds. I have a massive one scheduled next :).

Amazing... I seen your world on Terraria on a video from ChippyGaming and let me just say it is amazing best world I ever seen come from Terraria.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words! I still have many more cool features to add to the world, and I'll be updating it each time I add something new. In fact, I just added a major contraption and will be putting out a new download + video in a little while!

I'm actually planning to speak for the first time in an upcoming youtube video so that I can explain the hoiktronics builds, since annotations aren't enough. However, before my instructional video, I'll put out several more videos of other builds. I have a massive one scheduled next :).

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words! I still have many more cool features to add to the world, and I'll be updating it each time I add something new. In fact, I just added a major contraption and will be putting out a new download + video in a little while!

I will have to check it out when it is up! :)

I will have to check it out when it is up! :)

Finally made a video with voice instead of annotations! From this moment onwards I will be voicing any videos with hoiktronics in it. I also plan to examine some of my past hoiktronics builds in more detail in future videos, including the build in this thread.

Finally made a video with voice instead of annotations! From this moment onwards I will be voicing any videos with hoiktronics in it. I also plan to examine some of my past hoiktronics builds in more detail in future videos, including the build in this thread.

That is awesome!! I will be sure to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom