Biomes & Nature Improved Environmental Hazards

Which ones did you like?

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
One of my favorite parts of terraria is the constant fear that one false step could kill you, and that you always have to take it slow and keep and eye open. The danger sense potion was one of my favorites, and was fun to use. But there just isn't enough variety in traps. Thats why I have devised several new hazards to keep ill footed adventurers on their toes.

The Geyser

The geyser is a trap found in the lower half of the caverns, near lava. The are hard to distinguish from other background objects, very similar to rocks. When stepped on, they have a 90% chance to erupt in a huge stream of water, just like a regular geyser. If you jump over a geyser, there is also a 30% chance that the geyser will erupt.
This water is bright cyan, but evaporates into the air 10 seconds after it starts to settle down. Boiling water acts just like regular water, except it does half as much damage as lava, and when wearing an obsidian rose does half of that. Lava charms will also work with boiling water. In addition, the geyser and 5 blocks below it can not be mined unless you have a nightmare pickaxe or better, making it very dangerous to newer players. I would just say that when activated, the stream would spawn about 30-40 blocks of boiling water that shoot 100 blocks in the air, or as far as that unless it hits a ceiling.
Boiling water is NOT a 4th liquid, just a different version of water that evaporates after 10 seconds. I'm not sure if a different version is possible, but they're adding a portal gun, so how hard can this be? I have no idea. if boiling water is touching water it will cause it to turn to regular water much quicker, and touching lava and honey have the same effect as regular water.

Boils

These boils grow in the crimson with varying sizes, from 1x.5 all the way up to 8x8 blocks if the terrain allows it. All of them will start out small, but can grow as big as space allows. When broken, it will release a new liquid called pus, which is meant to fit the crimson's disgusting feel.
Before all the hate explodes about no 4th liquid blah blah blah game engine can't handle it, let me say its just a fun idea and is not meant to be added.
If you walked into a pus boil, it wouldn't do much, but if you ran into it, it would jiggle and sometimes pop. If you used it like a trampoline, it would pop. When popped, pus would pour everywhere. Bleh.
Pus would cause the confused and slow debuff for 20 seconds, the weakness debuff for 3 minutes, and the suffocating debuff while completely submerged in pus. 8x8 would spawn 64 blocks worth of pus, and 1x.5 would spawn .5 blocks of pus. H x W = Pus. Common math. When touching any other liquid it will disappear, except lava in which it would create dried pus, which is a semi translucent block that looks whitish tan. Use this for your own disturbing needs.

Gravel

Gravel is a new block that only spawns over open spaces, such as chasms or a pit of lava. When stepped on or grappled to, it will collapse after 0.5 seconds. It is like silt, but won't generate fallen onto a pile on the floor. Alternatively, silt could take up the roll of gravel. It will look almost exactly like stone, only slightly grainier. Not much more to say here other than when items drop onto it or mobs walk on it it will also collapse.

Fire Coral

A new block that grows slowly on the floor of lava beds in the underworld, but can sometimes sprout up from the lava. It causes an instant 40 damage upon contact. It can be mined but won't yield anything. Monsters are not immune to it
Poison Coral

A new block that grows on the ocean floor. It causes the venom debuff for 15 seconds and does 20 direct damage. It is fairly rare, and mining it yields nothing. Monsters are immune to it.

I hope you enjoyed some of these ideas! I'm sorry the end ones seemed skimpy that was just how I formatted it.
If you did you can leave some feedback or even a sprite! Have a nice day. :3

Last edited:
You could get around the 4 liquid limit for the geyser and boil by having them actually be projectiles with liquid physics.
I could, but I'd actually like them to be an issue because they would have the ability to flood an area. Also, gysers would generate infinite water. OR, they could generate above water sources

You should make Fire Coral appear under the Lava in Hell, and deal 40 damage if stepped on, with a max of 10 hits. That could easily kill you.

Poison Coral should be the current Fire Coral's (in term of function) replacement. Seriously!

You should make Fire Coral appear under the Lava in Hell, and deal 40 damage if stepped on, with a max of 10 hits. That could easily kill you.

Poison Coral should be the current Fire Coral's (in term of function) replacement. Seriously!
Okey :3

If you're in the lava, I imagine that stepping on fire coral is the least of your worries...

It also does damage if your using obsidian skin potion and/or lava charms. :l
Still seems pointless though. Even w/ lava immunity, its a hazard that I'm very unlikely to touch, considering that I can just swim through the lava, hook out, etc.

Well its there. :l
Not a legit argument... if you can give reasons why it would actually be effective, I could support.

Right now its quite like suggesting "add spikes at the end of each world". No one's actually going to get hurt by it...

Not a legit argument... if you can give reasons why it would actually be effective, I could support.

Right now its quite like suggesting "add spikes at the end of each world". No one's actually going to get hurt by it...

What do you mean by "at the end of each world"? This coral grows in lava anywhere in the underworld. :l

I could, but I'd actually like them to be an issue because they would have the ability to flood an area. Also, geysers would generate infinite water. OR, they could generate above water sources
I have an issue with this in that its not how Geysers work. Geysers form deep underground from water near magma thus getting heated well over waters boiling point such that its only in a liquid state due to intense pressure. When the water reaches the surface the pressure causes it to jet out violently and rapidly transition to superheated steam. Water from geysers is for the most part not in a liquid state so it wouldn't flood anything... I do like the idea but I think a projectile would be best...

I have an issue with this in that its not how Geysers work. Geysers form deep underground from water near magma thus getting heated well over waters boiling point such that its only in a liquid state due to intense pressure. When the water reaches the surface the pressure causes it to jet out violently and rapidly transition to superheated steam. Water from geysers is for the most part not in a liquid state so it wouldn't flood anything... I do like the idea but I think a projectile would be best...

I knew that the water heated up because of underground lava sources, this I shoved it above a water source close to lava, but I didn't know it evaporated. But I like that it can flood a cave and make a "the floor is lava" situation appear in a matter of seconds.

I knew that the water heated up because of underground lava sources, this I shoved it above a water source close to lava, but I didn't know it evaporated. But I like that it can flood a cave and make a "the floor is lava" situation appear in a matter of seconds.
Perhaps it can be a projective that briefly acts like a fluid? It could spurt up and then fall back down like a north pole volley before briefly pooling before it evaporates.

Perhaps it can be a projective that briefly acts like a fluid? It could spurt up and then fall back down like a north pole volley before briefly pooling before it evaporates.
Sure I guess. Shoots up and out, hits the ceiling or falls back after 100 blocks, pools for 10 seconds, and evaporates.
Sounds like a good middle ground ;3

What do you mean by "at the end of each world"? This coral grows in lava anywhere in the underworld. :l
My point was that its useless to add a hazard that most players wouldn't be affected by regardless, and the few that do will probably wonder why the hell its even there.

I made a sprite for your geeser
fluency-old-guy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom