Sprites [Melee][Sword]The Master Sword

Pick your thoughts.

• I'm fine with having another sword made from the Broken Hero's Sword.

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • I like the sword itself.

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • I like the sword pedestal suggestion.

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • I like the sword sprite.

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • I like the pedestal sprite.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I like the projectile sprite.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I like the mechanical aspect of the pedestal.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • I dislike the idea of having another sword made from the Broken Hero's Sword.

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

shobiwan77

King Slime
Typically when making suggestions, I attempt to suggest something that will truly affect the game. This suggestion is a bit of an exception just because this is something I thought would be really cool to have in the game to go along with some other items. Although there is a bit of a mechanical piece thrown in near the end.

Hero Sword
nn6LydY.png

• Type: Weapon
  • Damage: 90 (melee)
  • Knockback: 5.3 (average)
  • Critical chance: 4%
  • Use time: 17 (very fast)
  • Velocity: 9.5
  • Rarity: Yellow
  • Sell: 10
    Gold_Coin.png
Recipe

Crafting Stations
Orichalcum_Anvil.png
Orichalcum Anvil
Mythril_Anvil.png
Mythril Anvil

Ingredients | Amount
Enchanted_Sword_%28item%29.png
Enchanted Sword | 1
Broken_Hero_Sword.png
Broken Hero Sword | 1
Hallowed_Bar.png
Hallowed Bar | 6
Soul_of_Might.gif
Soul of Might | 10
Soul_of_Light.gif
Soul of Light | 10

Result | Amount
nn6LydY.png
Hero Sword | 1
This is meant to be the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda series. I named it, "Hero Sword" instead because I bet there'd be copyright issues in game otherwise. I mean, Link's outfit is called, "Hero's Clothes" so I bet Re-Logic doesn't have the rights. Anyways the thought behind this was that when I first saw the Broken Hero's Sword, I thought that it looked like the Master Sword. Upon getting it I immediately rushed to the guide to see if it was used to make the Master Sword. Disappointingly, it was not. I was wondering why it wasn't being that Link's outfit was in the game, so I decided to suggest this.

I would now like to give a few notes on the sword's abilities and such. First off it auto-swings and fires a blue glowing disk (pictured below) with a velocity of 9.5. Also I realize that this is a stronger weapon than both the True Night's Edge and the True Excalibur even though it is on the same level in difficulty of obtaining. This is intentional. The reason behind this is that the two True weapons both have a much increased value in that they can be combined to make the Terra Blade. I feel like the extra strength balances this out, being closer in power to the Terra Blade. I do realize that more True weapons is not a very loved idea, and that the suggestions for more typically aren't very balanced or thought out, but the Broken Hero's Sword is a much needed material in the recipe for this item.

EfIT92t.gif
Projectile for the Master Sword. Didn't come out quite how I wanted (no alpha) but I'm pretty fine with it. In case you're wondering why I would have the Master Sword shoot a projectile: no it's not just so that it matches the other weapons made with a Broken Hero's Sword. In one of the Zelda games it does shoot a disk like projectile.

While working on the sprites for this, I started thinking that the Master Sword is typically pulled out from a pedestal, and that there are currently no pedestal-like objects in the game. So I made this as an extra, side suggestion:

Sword Pedestal
o7tSSb7.png

• Type: Furniture
  • Dimensions: 3 wide x 5 high (size of sprite is about 3 wide x 1 high, the extra 4 blocks in height is to leave room for swords, thanks @Mythical Golden Bunny)

Recipe

Crafting Station
Heavy_Work_Bench.png
Heavy Work Bench

Ingredient | Amount
Stone_Block.png
Stone Block | 15

Result | Amount
o7tSSb7.png
Sword Pedestal | 1

This item would work similar to the weapons rack
Weapon_Rack.png
, but would be placed on the ground instead of the back wall. Any sword, and only swords, can be placed on this. The sword would be thrust tip first into the top when you right click on it. Right clicking will also remove the sword if it is placed on this. To add an interesting use for this in adventure maps, whenever a sword, not including the Master Sword, is placed or removed from the pedestal, the left half of the pedestal will send a wire signal. If, however, the Master Sword is placed or removed from the pedestal, then it will send a wire signal from the right half of the block. Below is an image of what the pedestal would look like with the Master Sword placed in it.
WpEQRtZ.png
H43EqJx.png
The red area is where it'd send a signal when a random sword is placed in it, blue is for sending a signal when the Master Sword is placed in it, and pink is nothing. The grid is where the block grid is. This would not be needed though if another one of my suggestions went through. Instead you could limit this to sending a special signal for any sword not just the Master Sword, and the whole thing would send a signal whenever any sword is placed in it.

While this image is sitting here, I would like to note something about the sword's sprite. I realize that it doesn't look perfectly like the Master Sword, but I had to give a little to make it look like a renewed Broken Hero's Sword. Also I'd like to thank @AndrewIsntCool for a bit of help on the pedestal sprite.

nn6LydY.png
Broken_Hero_Sword.png
Here they are side by side for comparison.

Here (finally) ends my suggestion. I hope you like it, and that it was worth both my time for making it, and your time for reading it as it was rather long. Usual feedback and stuff would be great.

Last edited:
I think the idea is decent, and everything is well balanced. But the projectile of the sword is (imo) way too big! I can't really imagine a sword in Terraria shooting a projectile that big. Other then that, I think it's a pretty neat idea!

I think the idea is decent, and everything is well balanced. But the projectile of the sword is (imo) way too big! I can't really imagine a sword in Terraria shooting a projectile that big. Other then that, I think it's a pretty neat idea!

I realize that, but it's actually a bit small if anything.
1226.jpg

Also now that I see this picture, my projectile is a good bit off in looks.

The sword pedestal kinda reminds me of the sword shrines
Enchanted_Sword_comparison.png
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Enchanted_Sword_Shrine
Kinda what I started thinking while spriting the pedestal.

I quite like this idea, but two things.

-The title is a taaaad misleading. While this sword is heavily based on the Master Sword, it's still its own thing. I suppose it's something that can't be helped assuming there's a limited amount of time to edit topic titles.

-The pedestal's a little small for the sword. Perhaps increasing its height a bit while decreasing the visible amount of blade would make it more visible while keeping its dimensions the same (assuming you don't want to adjust the height and width of the item)?

I quite like this idea, but two things.

-The title is a taaaad misleading. While this sword is heavily based on the Master Sword, it's still its own thing. I suppose it's something that can't be helped assuming there's a limited amount of time to edit topic titles.
It's basically the Master Sword. It's just it's own thing because it has to have a recipe. It'd be silly to have a Temple of Time or something in the game that just generates on every map to get the Master Sword from.

-The pedestal's a little small for the sword. Perhaps increasing its height a bit while decreasing the visible amount of blade would make it more visible while keeping its dimensions the same (assuming you don't want to adjust the height and width of the item)?
latest

Yeah, you're probably right. I realized that the dimensions need to be larger than the size of the pedestal's sprite because there needs to be room for the sword as well. Also it probably could be made a bit larger. Maybe another block wide and half a block high? I'll try to get to that at some point, but I don't have time right now. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Y'know, I came here prepared for hard criticism. Pretty much, whenever there is a "Master Sword," people are like "Terra Blade and broken hero sword and (Insert rare items here) and it does 600 damage" and I'm like "No." But this was legitimately a good suggestion.

+1 Support

Also that projectile looks like it would go really slow.

Y'know, I came here prepared for hard criticism. Pretty much, whenever there is a "Master Sword," people are like "Terra Blade and broken hero sword and (Insert rare items here) and it does 600 damage" and I'm like "No." But this was legitimately a good suggestion.

+1 Support

Also that projectile looks like it would go really slow.
Thanks, and yeah I realize the animation is a bit slow, but I didn't like how it looked when it was faster. It looked too repetitive.
[doublepost=1475204176,1475204000][/doublepost]
UPDATE: I fixed the dimensions and sprites for the pedestal.

Old | New
SBKYAUP.png
|
C40aSHT.png
EtnRmOz.png
|
0FCpeHW.png

I don't know why, it when I fixed the sprites and stuff it totally wrecked all of the formatting on the thread. I'll try to fix it tonight when I have access to a computer.

The sprite for the pedestal has improved, but I feel like the colors are a bit flat. I tried to resprite it with the color scheme of the stone slab
Stone_Slab.png
, since that is also a stone item crafted at the heavy work bench.
C40aSHT.png
and mine
Thingything.png

The sprite for the pedestal has improved, but I feel like the colors are a bit flat. I tried to resprite it with the color scheme of the stone slab
Stone_Slab.png
C40aSHT.png
and mine View attachment 142054
Thanks, I agree, mine is a bit flat. Mind if I use yours? I'll credit you for the reskin of course. Although I think I may touch up the Triforce a bit. The middle section of yours looks a bit too square to me.

Stone_Slab.png
C40aSHT.png
and mine View attachment 142054

The final sprite was an edited version of yours, but I changed a couple things on it.
  1. I made the center of the Triforce less square.
  2. I smoothed the shading a bit.
  3. I messed with the dimensions slightly because they were a bit off.
Thanks for the help though. It looks much better now. Here's the progression of it.
SBKYAUP.png
>
C40aSHT.png
>
index.php
(you) >
o7tSSb7.png
(me)

Hmm not bad compared to what I had initially expected. I was afraid you would be copying the weapon verbatim I'm glad to see that isn't the case. The stronger but slower projectile is an interesting variation(and one that could make the weapon far more satisfying) so I can support this even if Terraria is super sword saturated ;).

Love the idea... but souls of might? seriously?
it should be crafted with the Enchanted sword and the broken hero sword ONLY

like the other swords crafted with the broken hero sword -OR- the Enchanted sword should be crafted with the Hallowed bars and souls of light THEN crafted with the Broken hero sword to get the hero sword.

AWESOME PROJECTILE!!! but a little smaller would be great!

the sword pedestal is LEGENDARY!!!

It's fairly good. I like the reference. But I don't like the usage of souls in a weapon that is the same tier as the Terra Blade.

It's fairly good. I like the reference. But I don't like the usage of souls in a weapon that is the same tier as the Terra Blade.

They are a bit weird, but I thought that they were fitting. The souls of might for the sword being powerful, and the light for the sword being a "good" sword. Also I felt like the recipe was a bit lacking.

Back
Top Bottom