Weapons & Equip More Early Mode Weapon Diversity!

Which Weapons Were Good?

• The Woodchip Flail was good.

Votes: 55 34.4%
  • The Home-made Grenade was good.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • The Magic Triangle was good.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • The Woodchip Launcher was good.

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • The Lighter was good.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • They Were All Good!

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • I did not like the Woodchip Flail.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I did not like the Home-made Grenade.

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • I did not like the Magic Triangle.

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • I did not like the Woodchip Launcher

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I did not like the lighter.

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • I didn't like any of them.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • I did not like green eggs and ham; I do not like them anywhere!

Votes: 71 44.4%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
I've always hated how you have to play for many hours to obtain things like decent guns and flails, and how at the start of the game you start off with a wooden sword or a bow. But i'm about to change all that!

New Weapons

Woodchip Flail
index.php

Wood.png

- 8 Damage
- Weak Knockback
- 5% Critical Chance
- Very Slow Speed

The Woodchip Flail is a weapon that functions like all other flails. It looks like a wooden ball covered in crude spikes attached to a wooden chain. It is slow, but it can be very useful for hitting multiply enemies.

Home-Made Grenade
index.php

Rope_Coil.png
Clay_Block.png
Gel.png
(Makes 5)

- 20 Damage
- Strong Knockback
- 6% Critical Chance
- Very Slow Speed

The Home-Made Grenade is a very cheap item that does a decent amount of damage, but nothing too great. It looks like a wooden ball with a fuse and patches of its ingredients.
It also has a sticky variant.

Magic Triangle
index.php

Iron_Bar.png
One of any kind of gem.

- 4 Damage
- Very Weak Knockback
- 13% Critical Chance
- 1 Mana
- Very Fast Speed

The Magic Triangle is the weakest magic weapon in the game, and very easy to get. It shoots a small spinning triangle when used. It looks like a regular triangle. :l

Woodchip Launcher
index.php

Iron_Bar.png
Wood.png

- 2 Damage
- No Knockback
- 5% Critical Chance
- Average Speed

It fires a small wood chip projectile that is travels slowly and does little damage. It uses wood as ammo and looks like a tiny crossbow. Each type of wood does different ADDITIONAL damage.
Normal & Boreal : 3
Shadewood,Ebonwood, and Rich Mahogany : 4
Palmwood: 5
Dynasty Wood and Spooky Wood : 15

Lighter
index.php

Iron_Bar.png
Stone_Block.png
Gel.png

- 3 Damage
- No Knockback
- 6% Critical Chance
- Average Speed

A very simple item that looks slightly like a flamethrower, but more ragged and less sleek. It does 3 damage and lights enemies on fire. It uses 1 gel per second.

New Game Mechanic

Did you like these new early game weapons? Well now you have a chance to spawn with them! Thats right! You have a chance to spawn with a Spear, Wooden Boomerang, Wooden Bow, or any of the new weapons listed above! That means you have a 9% chance to spawn with any 1 of these 10 items, allowing for the beginning of the game to be much more diverse than punching a tree and instantly replacing that useless copper short sword of yours.

Thank you DrBillyBob for your awesome sprites!

If you liked this idea, please feel free to check out some of my other threads listed below!

Attachments

• Game Images.png
    Game Images.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Rebound Title.png
    Rebound Title.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
First off, I noticed that a lot of these weapons are based off of later weapons used for crowd control. In the early game, lack of crowd control is part of to reason that there's any difficulty, and the only reason why the night is dangerous. Second, the "Magic Triangle" costs more gems than the Ore-tier Gem staves. The gem staves cost 8, whereas the Magic Triangle costs 15. The Woodchip Launcher is a weaker but more expensive Wooden Bow. Home-made grenades are silly - The damage is patently absurd for something you can get so early and standard grenades are just a house away. There's no reason to have a wooden flail if you can't have an ore flail. The first flail is Dark Biome-tier and rightly so - Flails are very powerful.

On the other hand, I think that having the potential to spawn with some of the weapons found in Surface Chests would be a change for the better - but not the Slime Staff. The Slime Staff is above Earlymode tier, not only in damage, but also due to its rarity.

I'm sorry, but I have to say, do your research before posting a thread. The reasons I gave above were just a click away on the Terraria wiki. Also, if you haven't already, read Baconfry's "How to Make Suggestions People Will Support" thread.

First off, I noticed that a lot of these weapons are based off of later weapons used for crowd control. In the early game, lack of crowd control is part of to reason that there's any difficulty, and the only reason why the night is dangerous. Second, the "Magic Triangle" costs more gems than the Ore-tier Gem staves. The gem staves cost 8, whereas the Magic Triangle costs 15. The Woodchip Launcher is a weaker but more expensive Wooden Bow. Home-made grenades are silly - The damage is patently absurd for something you can get so early and standard grenades are just a house away. There's no reason to have a wooden flail if you can't have an ore flail. The first flail is Dark Biome-tier and rightly so - Flails are very powerful.

On the other hand, I think that having the potential to spawn with some of the weapons found in Surface Chests would be a change for the better - but not the Slime Staff. The Slime Staff is above Earlymode tier, not only in damage, but also due to its rarity.

I'm sorry, but I have to say, do your research before posting a thread. The reasons I gave above were just a click away on the Terraria wiki. Also, if you haven't already, read Baconfry's "How to Make Suggestions People Will Support" thread.

1. How does the magic triangle cost 15 gems? It only costs one of the 6 gems that there are.

2. The wood chip launcher is gun styled, and the wood chips are not affected by gravity. It is better/equal to a bow because of this.

3. Not much to say for the grenades

4. It takes time to get the supplies to dig through dark biomes. You need bombs, a good pick, or purification powder. This is for earlymode.

Thanks for the feedback. :l

How does the magic triangle cost 15 gems? It only costs one of the 6 gems that there are.
My apologies. I thought you meant that it cost an entire Large Gem, rather than just a normal one. Something else that I thought of, though, is that at the very beginning of the game, having such a weak magic weapon is essentially moot. A bow of any sort, even wood does significantly more damage, and almost for cheaper, especially since you're unlikely to have any mana at this point. The wait to get a gem staff is reinforced by the need for mana, and a weapon that behaves in a "magic" manner - that is to say it pierces. (Ignoring the amethyst, topaz, and Sapphire ones. I say those should have nerfed damage in exchange for piercing anyway.)
The wood chip launcher is gun styled, and the wood chips are not affected by gravity. It is better/equal to a bow because of this.
The only reasons that guns fare better than bows is because of the bullets. The Woodchip Launcher is still inferior. In any case, there's a reason that you don't get guns until the Dark Biomes. Or Dungeon, if you're crazy. Either way, creating an alt for the bows is completely redundant for earlygame, before you have the various ammo types to diversify them.
It takes time to get the supplies to dig through dark biomes. You need bombs, a good pick, or purification powder. This is for earlymode.
First off, the first pick that can mine Dark Biome stone is a Dark Biome pick. Second, there's a good reason that you start to get diverse weapons in the Dark Biomes. Unlike most weapon tiering in the game, it's not so much a progression mechanic so much as it is a thematic one. When you start up your world, and get to exploring, one of the big landmarks, alongside the Dungeon and the Jungle, is the Corruption (or Crimson), you walk in, the background changes, and the music gets all creepy. If you're a new player, you'll likely get slaughtered by the horrifying enemies. This sets up the idea that that area is an area to be beaten. So you make all the progression in the underground and all that jazz. Then you break the Shadow Orbs (or Crimson Hearts), and you feel like you've made progress, like you've conquered something, and thus you feel stronger as a player. Then the Dark Boss spawns and reminds you that you're not a god. And the cycle continues.

My apologies. I thought you meant that it cost an entire Large Gem, rather than just a normal one. Something else that I thought of, though, is that at the very beginning of the game, having such a weak magic weapon is essentially moot. A bow of any sort, even wood does significantly more damage, and almost for cheaper, especially since you're unlikely to have any mana at this point. The wait to get a gem staff is reinforced by the need for mana, and a weapon that behaves in a "magic" manner - that is to say it pierces. (Ignoring the amethyst, topaz, and Sapphire ones. I say those should have nerfed damage in exchange for piercing anyway.)

The only reasons that guns fare better than bows is because of the bullets. The Woodchip Launcher is still inferior. In any case, there's a reason that you don't get guns until the Dark Biomes. Or Dungeon, if you're crazy. Either way, creating an alt for the bows is completely redundant for earlygame, before you have the various ammo types to diversify them.

First off, the first pick that can mine Dark Biome stone is a Dark Biome pick. Second, there's a good reason that you start to get diverse weapons in the Dark Biomes. Unlike most weapon tiering in the game, it's not so much a progression mechanic so much as it is a thematic one. When you start up your world, and get to exploring, one of the big landmarks, alongside the Dungeon and the Jungle, is the Corruption (or Crimson), you walk in, the background changes, and the music gets all creepy. If you're a new player, you'll likely get slaughtered by the horrifying enemies. This sets up the idea that that area is an area to be beaten. So you make all the progression in the underground and all that jazz. Then you break the Shadow Orbs (or Crimson Hearts), and you feel like you've made progress, like you've conquered something, and thus you feel stronger as a player. Then the Dark Boss spawns and reminds you that you're not a god. And the cycle continues.
Well okay I didn't know that those were the large gems. lol. The magic triangle and Woodchip Launcher are simply very early game versions of weapons that usually take longer to get, and that is the purpose of my thread, but I can understand where your coming from. Also, for the flail in dark biomes, when have you ever actually used them? The beginner weapons in my idea aren't meant to be useful for very long, but are meant to be an option if you want to. This can give players a taste for different kinds of weapons. Thank you for the feedback once again. :l

Home-Made Grenade

Wood.png
Stone_Block.png
Iron_Bar.png
(Makes 5)

- 20 Damage
- Strong Knockback
- 6% Critical Chance
- Very Slow Speed

The Home-Made Grenade is a very cheap item that does a decent amount of damage, but nothing too great. It looks like a wooden ball with a fuse and patches of its ingredients.
I would change the recipe to " 1 Rope, 3 Clay, 5 Gel "

Most of the crafting recipes make no sense to me. The grenade should have some combustible ingredient, and the lighter as well. Most of these will probably be used for one session then get ditched for something better. Sorry, but no support.

Most of the crafting recipes make no sense to me. The grenade should have some combustible ingredient, and the lighter as well. Most of these will probably be used for one session then get ditched for something better. Sorry, but no support.

I'll add gel to the recipe. By the way, of course they'll get ditched for something better! These are all beginner weapons!

grenades can already be gotten fairly easily as an early find. they seem to spawn quite often in chests, and can soon be bought after you find bombs (which drop from pots)

the magic triangle, to my understanding from the comments uses regular gems and not "capture the gem" gems. however this weapon is extremely useless. basically every projectile weapon at this point in the game is significantly better than this (even the wooden bow can be considered better, because no matter what ammo you use, it always has double the base damage. it only loses in the crit and use speed dept.).

Also having a pitiful mana bar early in the game makes this weapon even more useless due to needing to wait for the bar to refill. I implore it to be crafted with fallen stars, or to be a wooden chest item instead, and even then I say it needs a minor buff to compensate for low mana.

Uhh, I think this needs to be thought through a bit more. If we start out with these weapons, isn't that kinda forcing you to become a mage with the magic Triangle, or a ranger with the woodchipper? I don't like that at all...

Uhh, I think this needs to be thought through a bit more. If we start out with these weapons, isn't that kinda forcing you to become a mage with the magic Triangle, or a ranger with the woodchipper? I don't like that at all...

Well I suppose it could be a bit forceful upon the class, but its a temporary starter weapon only.

Those aren't supposed to be big gems, they're supposed to be regular ones. My mistake. >_<
It fires uses wood as ammo instead of arrows, but I'll raise the damage a little anyways.
Your right, they do a ridiculously low amount of damage and I will raise it to 50.
You still need to survive the monsters of dark biomes, and the flails Sunfury and Bluemoon are at nearly the same tier but have 10 damage apart, but no one seems to notice. I think it is fine.
k. :p
aw. Check out some of my newer threads. They are mostly much better.
I would change the recipe to " 1 Rope, 3 Clay, 5 Gel "
Alrightio!

Woodchip Flail
- 15 Damage
...does significantly less damage than a regular flail.
Significantly less damage than a regular Flail.
Flail does exactly the same amount of damage as the Ball o' Hurt.

index.php
Oops. I think there must be some mistake there... right?
Magic Triangle

Iron_Bar.png
Large_Gem.png
One of the 6

- 4 Damage
So it requires a metal that is higher tiered than Copper/Tin, but then 3.5-4 times less damage? o_O Hint: It needs to do more than 4 damage.
Home-Made Grenade

- 20 Damage
- Strong Knockback
- 6% Critical Chance
- Very Slow Speed

This one is actually okay, I guess, but it is very rapidly replaced by Shurikens, so I question how useful it would actually be.
Woodchip Launcher
- 3 Damage
It fires a small wood chip projectile that is travels slowly and does little damage. It uses wood as ammo and looks like a tiny crossbow.
A weapon that does 1 damage to anything stronger than a Blue Slime is completely not worth having, especially when the alternative is a Bow that does three to four times as much damage when using regular Wooden Arrows. >_>

Lighter

- 1 Damage
- No Knockback
- 6% Critical Chance
- Average Speed

A very simple item that looks slightly like a flamethrower, but more ragged and less sleek. It lights enemies on fire while they are within its reach, but almost as soon as they step out the fire is extinguished. It uses gel at quite an inefficient level, with about 2 per second.
Lighting stuff on fire is what the Flare Gun is for, though. :l

everything is already expanded greatly i do agree their needs to be a easy craftable grenade but thats i. outside of that pre hardmode armors just need a ballance period.

NOTHING COMPARES TO TURTLE GOD ARMOR + ANY END GAME MELLEE WEAPON
-_-;

everything is already expanded greatly i do agree their needs to be a easy craftable grenade but thats i. outside of that pre hardmode armors just need a ballance period.

NOTHING COMPARES TO TURTLE GOD ARMOR + ANY END GAME MELLEE WEAPON
-_-;

Whut. :L

Significantly less damage than a regular Flail.
Flail does exactly the same amount of damage as the Ball o' Hurt.

index.php
Oops. I think there must be some mistake there... right?

So it requires a metal that is higher tiered than Copper/Tin, but then 3.5-4 times less damage? o_O Hint: It needs to do more than 4 damage.

This one is actually okay, I guess, but it is very rapidly replaced by Shurikens, so I question how useful it would actually be.

A weapon that does 1 damage to anything stronger than a Blue Slime is completely not worth having, especially when the alternative is a Bow that does three to four times as much damage when using regular Wooden Arrows. >_>

Lighting stuff on fire is what the Flare Gun is for, though. :l

Okay, I have no idea how you could have gotten here before I updated the thread and after I posted the comment that said I was going to update it, but you can whack the problems that I highlighted in red off the list because they were fixed.

Lets see... the magic triangle now only needs 1 mana, so 1 mana X 4 damage X the 20 mana of the first star you start off with is 40 damage, with the exception of defense the lowest damage you could get would still be 10 per mana star, but a lot of really early enemies have less than 3 defense. Also, tiers aren't really important or significant in terraria up until you need to be able to mine hellstone. Iron isn't much rarer than copper or tin.

I didn't know the flare gun lit things on fire, but even so its kind of hard to find early on, and it uses flares that can only be gotten by finding more chests with flares or buying them, and npcs take a little while to get. (at least for me).

I support 50%. I like the idea of these weapons, it's just I kind of don't like the chance to spawn with one and I also don't like the crafting recipes. And I totally agree- early game needs a little more variety. The point of early game is that most weapons are similar, but they are usually too similar. Also, here's some sprites. They consist of already existing sprites that have been edited.
Flamethrower.png Lighter
Home-Made Grenade.png Home-Made Grenade
Magic Triangle.png Magic Triangle (I messed up a little, whoops. It was supposed to be a triangle but I got carried away)
Wood Chipper.pngWoodchip Flail
Woodchip Launcher.pngWoodchip Launcher

I support 50%. I like the idea of these weapons, it's just I kind of don't like the chance to spawn with one and I also don't like the crafting recipes. And I totally agree- early game needs a little more variety. The point of early game is that most weapons are similar, but they are usually too similar. Also, here's some sprites. They consist of already existing sprites that have been edited.
View attachment 31054 Lighter
View attachment 31055 Home-Made Grenade
View attachment 31056 Magic Triangle (I messed up a little, whoops. It was supposed to be a triangle but I got carried away)
View attachment 31057Woodchip Flail
View attachment 31058Woodchip Launcher

Wow! Thanks for those sprites! They're awesome, even if a few are resprites! I love them. :)
And maybe you can choose which one you can spawn with.

Back
Top Bottom