Weapons & Equip Osmium : Hardmode Archery Expansion

How much do you like the idea of osmium?

• This is an amazing idea!

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I think this idea is pretty cool.

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • This idea needs a little work. (Please Explain)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • This suggestion should be re-thought. (Please Explain)

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Similar to my Mandible Gauntlet thread, this thread is mainly to test out my new spriting skills, so please tell me what I can improve on!

Okay, so we all know that archery gets the short end of the stick when it comes to hardmode weapons. You've got the Marrow and the Ice bow in early hard mode, and then absolutely nothing (unless you get lucky and the traveling merchant sells you a Pulse Bow) until you defeat Duke Fishron and get his bow. However, there are quite a few repeaters, but they are still usually underpowered in most situations.

First off, bringing up an important concept for this thread. I am using SzGamer's idea for Improving Shroomite Headware as part of my suggestion so that this suggestion isn't as unnecessary in comparison to Shroomite Armor.

As well as that, to not make the new osmium archer weapons redundant in comparison to the Tsunami Bow which can be obtained earlier on, I also suggest making the truffle worm spawn post-golem to balance it out. Anywho, lets jump right into this suggestion!

kdcROYP.png

54008-5e7d3ce913f6abf31bbfbea65af25eba.jpg

Osmium

Osmium is a new hardmode ore that generates in rare clumps of 30-40 in the hallow after Plantera is defeated. The first time she is defeated, 6-7 clumps of this will generate. After that, every time you defeat her she will generate 1-2 osmium clumps, which reaches a cap at 250 ore placed in the world before it will no longer generate from defeating Plantera.

Running 4 of these ores through an Adamantite or Titanium forge will create one
54009-791b3c06a6ea0be088833e09fecd4347.jpg
Osmium bar.
index.php

Osmium Armor

Osmium Armor is a generaly archer based armor that is meant for extremely high mobility and strength, while significantly sacrificing protection.

Osmium Helmet
x20
9 Defense
15% Higher damage with archery based weapons (Bows and repeaters)

Osmium Chestplate
x30
8 Defense
Reduces Gravity by 25%

Osmium Greaves
x25
10 Defense
Increases jump height by 70%, boot effectiveness by 40%, flight duration by 20%, and flight speed by 10%

Set Bonus : If a monster comes within 8 blocks of the player, the armor will shoot out 1 lightning bolt every second that will each deal 20 damage.

Okay, so insanely powerful agility, but it has a mere 27 defense, which is like wearing paper when it comes to things like the frost moon. Thats where the weapons come in that bind this unique gameplay style together!

kdcROYP.png

54127-293d13ccf065d1df7ac5a3195400a671.jpg

Osmium Repeater
45 Damage
17 Velocity
16 Use time
1.3 Knockback

The osmium repeater fires arrows that go extremely fast, at an extremely fast rate. Infact, it has the highest velocity and use time of any repeater in the game. As of now it is the only late-hardmode repeater besides the stake launcher, which isn't really a repeater.

54130-bed526028d68d97b23e49c152320e9a8.jpg

Osmium Shotbow
65 Damage
16 Velocity
20 Use Time
1.6 Knockback

The Osmium Shotbow fires only one shot at a time, but has a very fast fire rate. This makes it good for shooting multiple shots at one target in a short amount of time.

54131-6545e4d9b2a5a6b19679e902a6885b6e.jpg

The Osmium Arrow
16 Damage
5 Velocity
50% chance to break
Bounces up to 4 times

While the chlorophyte arrow also bounces, it only bounces once and pierces. The Osmium Arrow however, doesn't pierce, but can bounce up to 4 times! This makes it invaluable in close spaces. It also has a very low chance to break in comparison to most other arrows.

kdcROYP.png

Thank @MrTheEpicNinja for resprites for the osmium shotbow and osmium armor!

Thanks to @Sergo
index.php
for the resprites on everything!

Thank you for acknowledging this thread! In return for the creation of this thread, please tell me what you think of it, respond to the poll, and PLEASE tell me what I can improve on with these sprites.

Last edited:
The osmium shotbow needs better sprite and the armor needs better stats
and the shotbow needs to be a little slower

Other that, great spriting and keep up the good work

Shouldn't the set bonus agree with the set? I mean your already paper and to activate the bonus you have to get hit? The set bonus also doesn't work for me because it's too op.

Shouldn't the set bonus agree with the set? I mean your already paper and to activate the bonus you have to get hit? The set bonus also doesn't work for me because it's too op.
I changed the set bonus a bit. Tell me if it's better. If it isn't, do you have any ideas?
The osmium shotbow needs better sprite and the armor needs better stats
and the shotbow needs to be a little slower

Other that, great spriting and keep up the good work

I'll lower the speed for the shot bow, I might try and change it soon, but what do you suggest for the armor? I think its fine.

I think this is an interesting armor configuration, but I still feel like Shroomite armor is still a much better alternative, it may increase mobility, but it still has a higher damage potential when compared to this armor, and it only increases the effectiveness of arrows.

I think this is an interesting armor configuration, but I still feel like Shroomite armor is still a much better alternative, it may increase mobility, but it still has a higher damage potential when compared to this armor, and it only increases the effectiveness of arrows.

Yeah, osmium is an archer material. Maybe I'll try to increase the mobility and damage slightly.

Yeah, good idea.
Sprites and one or two names could use some work, though.
The armour needs to have a bit of darker sections added in, considering right now it looks kinda flat.
The Shotbow needs a better name, considering it's not a shotgun-bow thing.
But, other than that, pretty good.
Support.

I liek the general idea, but the colors blend together too well. I almost thought it was one solid color. Like halo boy said, try adding shading.
Other than that, it's fine.

Yeah, good idea.
Sprites and one or two names could use some work, though.
The armour needs to have a bit of darker sections added in, considering right now it looks kinda flat.
The Shotbow needs a better name, considering it's not a shotgun-bow thing.
But, other than that, pretty good.
Support.
I liek the general idea, but the colors blend together too well. I almost thought it was one solid color. Like halo boy said, try adding shading.
Other than that, it's fine.
Heh. Yeah. Shading is hard, and I tried to much on making it look like a slow transition between green and cyan that I lost track of shading.
I'll try renaming them and respriting them sometime this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Heh. Yeah. Shading is hard, and I tried to much on making it look like a slow transition between green and cyan that I lost track of shading.
I'll try renaming them and respriting them sometime this weekend. Thanks for the help!
I know from first hand experience shading is hard. Don't fret, though, maybe someone will help you. If I can get on my actual computer tomorrow I can try to shade for you, if you want.

I know from first hand experience shading is hard. Don't fret, though, maybe someone will help you. If I can get on my actual computer tomorrow I can try to shade for you, if you want.
Thank you! I would really appreciate that. I just got into spriting a few weeks ago, and most of the things I've made are recolors, but I've created some generally unique things lately. Its really quite fun.

Similar to my Mandible Gauntlet thread, this thread is mainly to test out my new spriting skills, so please tell me what I can improve on!

Okay, so we all know that archery gets the short end of the stick when it comes to hardmode weapons. You've got the Marrow and the Ice bow in early hard mode, and then absolutely nothing (unless you get lucky and the traveling merchant sells you a Pulse Bow) until you defeat Duke Fishron and get his bow. However, there are quite a few repeaters, but they are still usually underpowered in most situations.

First off, bringing up an important concept for this thread. I am using SzGamer's idea for Improving Shroomite Headware as part of my suggestion so that this suggestion isn't as unnecessary in comparison to Shroomite Armor.

As well as that, to not make the new osmium archer weapons redundant in comparison to the Tsunami Bow which can be obtained earlier on, I also suggest making the truffle worm spawn post-golem to balance it out. Anywho, lets jump right into this suggestion!

kdcROYP.png

54008-5e7d3ce913f6abf31bbfbea65af25eba.jpg

Osmium

Osmium is a new hardmode ore that generates in rare clumps of 20-35 in the hallow after Plantera is defeated. The first time she is defeated, 4-5 clumps of this will generate. After that, every time you defeat her she will generate 1-2 osmium clumps, which reaches a cap at 250 ore placed in the world before it will no longer generate from defeating Plantera.

Running 4 of these ores through an Adamantite or Titanium forge will create one
Osmium bar.

54122-12ae3970488ccb4ccf762e0b637008c2.jpg

Osmium Armor

Osmium Armor is a generaly archer based armor that is meant for extremely high mobility and strength, while significantly sacrificing protection.

Osmium Helmet
x20
9 Defense
15% Higher damage with archery based weapons (Bows and repeaters)

Osmium Chestplate
x30
8 Defense
Reduces Gravity by 25%

Osmium Greaves
x25
10 Defense
Increases jump height by 100%, speed by 60%, and flight time by 2 seconds

Set Bonus : If a monster comes within 8 blocks of the player, the armor will shoot out 3 lightning bolts every second that will each deal 15 damage.

Okay, so insanely powerful agility, but it has a mere 27 defense, which is like wearing paper when it comes to things like the frost moon. Thats where the weapons come in that bind this unique gameplay style together!

kdcROYP.png

54127-293d13ccf065d1df7ac5a3195400a671.jpg

Osmium Repeater
45 Damage
12 Velocity
16 Use time
1.3 Knockback

The osmium repeater fires arrows that go extremely fast, at an extremely fast rate. Infact, it has the highest velocity and use time of any repeater in the game. As of now it is the only late-hardmode repeater besides the stake launcher, which isn't really a repeater.

54130-bed526028d68d97b23e49c152320e9a8.jpg

Osmium Shotbow
60 Damage
15 Velocity
20 Use Time
1.6 Knockback

The Osmium Shotbow fires only one shot at a time, but has a very fast fire rate. This makes it good for shooting multiple shots at one target in a short amount of time.

54131-6545e4d9b2a5a6b19679e902a6885b6e.jpg

The Osmium Arrow
15 Damage
5 Velocity
85% chance to break
Bounces up to 4 times

While the chlorophyte arrow also bounces, it only bounces once and pierces. The Osmium Arrow however, doesn't pierce, but can bounce up to 4 times! This makes it invaluable in close spaces.

kdcROYP.png

Thank you for acknowledging this thread! In return for the creation of this thread, please tell me what you think of it, respond to the poll, and PLEASE tell me what I can improve on with these sprites.
There Is An Ore Called Osmium In The Avalon Mod :p

Lightning triggers too often, but deals damage that is too low. Any enemy will reduce 15 damage to nothingness (nothingness being 1 in this case) in hardmode. Yet the spammability would own any enemy with low defense (could use ichor debuff to abuse it) and would cause clutter issues. At this point in the game an arrow that only bounce but is single target is a bit weak so the damage should be higher than most arrows to compensate, even more damage than chlorophyte since chloro does pierce once. I don't know about repeater and bow stats too lazy to compare sorry :) You should also tone down the boots buffs a bit.

Edit: I don't think we need new bows actually... I would like it better if it supported the bows and repeaters we already have, though a new arrow type is fine with me and the ore provenance too. Repeaters projectiles velocity and range need a buff.

Lightning triggers too often, but deals damage that is too low. Any enemy will reduce 15 damage to nothingness (nothingness being 1 in this case) in hardmode. Yet the spammability would own any enemy with low defense (could use ichor debuff to abuse it) and would cause clutter issues. At this point in the game an arrow that only bounce but is single target is a bit weak so the damage should be higher than most arrows to compensate, even more damage than chlorophyte since chloro does pierce once. I don't know about repeater and bow stats too lazy to compare sorry :) You should also tone down the boots buffs a bit.

Edit: I don't think we need new bows actually... I would like it better if it supported the bows and repeaters we already have, though a new arrow type is fine with me and the ore provenance too. Repeaters projectiles velocity and range need a buff.

Thanks for the balancing info, but I don't want to remove any items.

The increased agility is rather ironical if you consider that osmium is the densest stable element, as it's density is about 22.5, on par with iridium. It is more than twice as dense as lead. Furthermore, osmium as you describe it is way too rare: the underground hallow is huge, especially on large maps, finding 15 clumps of ore in it would be like seeking a needle in hay. Furthermore, a rapid calculation shows that the armor needs 75 bars, or 300 ore, meaning that you'll need to:
1. Deafeat Plantera 12 times to get to the spawning cap
2. Find all clusters
3. Deafeat it another 5 times
4. Find the clusters
So, on average, expect to fight it 17 times, and up to 25 times if you're unlucky... and don't want the reapeater/shotbow/arrow.

Osmium is a new hardmode ore that generates in rare clumps of 20-35 in the hallow after Plantera is defeated. The first time she is defeated, 4-5 clumps of this will generate. After that, every time you defeat her she will generate 1-2 osmium clumps, which reaches a cap at 250 ore placed in the world before it will no longer generate from defeating Plantera.
I don't like this, it seems to much of a grind to obtain this ore. Mining is enough, but to defeat more bosses to generate this ore is too much for anybody.
speed by 50%
What kind of speed?
flight time by 2 seconds
Flight isn't measured this way. It is measured by block height and velocity.
2 lightning bolts every second that will each deal 20 damage.
Insanely powerful, this would be OP domination in events.

Personally I think that the Shroomite counterpart for arrows is good enough, and I don't see any problems with it. Since this set is in the same Tier as Shroomite, Osmium would be unnecessary.

I don't like this, it seems to much of a grind to obtain this ore. Mining is enough, but to defeat more bosses to generate this ore is too much for anybody. I'll have it generate in larger amounts upon defeat.

What kind of speed? Horizontal. Basically I mean it increases boot effectiveness by 50%.

Flight isn't measured this way. It is measured by block height and velocity. My bad, but I've seen it shown this way before. I'll change it.

Insanely powerful, this would be OP domination in events. I didn't do my math right. I'll change it

Personally I think that the Shroomite counterpart for arrows is good enough, and I don't see any problems with it. Since this set is in the same Tier as Shroomite, Osmium would be unnecessary. Yes, but I'm working with the physics of another suggestion because it makes the most sense. Osmium would work alongside it as an archer class, simply because the class is extremely underused.

Thanks for the feedback! I gave some replies in the quote.
[DOUBLEPOST=1435333210,1435332725][/DOUBLEPOST]
The increased agility is rather ironical if you consider that osmium is the densest stable element, as it's density is about 22.5, on par with iridium. It is more than twice as dense as lead. Furthermore, osmium as you describe it is way too rare: the underground hallow is huge, especially on large maps, finding 15 clumps of ore in it would be like seeking a needle in hay. Furthermore, a rapid calculation shows that the armor needs 75 bars, or 300 ore, meaning that you'll need to:
1. Deafeat Plantera 12 times to get to the spawning cap
2. Find all clusters
3. Deafeat it another 5 times
4. Find the clusters
So, on average, expect to fight it 17 times, and up to 25 times if you're unlucky... and don't want the reapeater/shotbow/arrow.
Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier! I also noticed that I made an agility armor out of one of the heaviest elements, but only after forwarding the idea to being set in progress. I changed the spawning physics in the post prior.

Thanks for the feedback! I gave some replies in the quote.
[DOUBLEPOST=1435333210,1435332725][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier! I also noticed that I made an agility armor out of one of the heaviest elements, but only after forwarding the idea to being set in progress. I changed the spawning physics in the post prior.
Ok I'd hope to see the other class soon.

Back
Top Bottom