Blocks & Decoration Pillars, Beams, and Columns...

Tamorr

Terrarian
Of all the decoration types for building we only have a few types in this category. Wooden Beams Being the primary one in reference; Palladium Column and Adamantite Beam which are similar, even if blocks mainly. With paint we can recolor these in the very least, however this is only a few styles that it could be in.

What I am suggesting is to add more Pillar styles to the mix. I am not so great at spriting, so I'll do my best to describe.

I have in mind that there should be one for each of the furniture types in their own style, as well one for each of the ore & stone types. They would all have the same function as a wooden beam, along with how certain light objects attach to them; ie torches. As well how they are placed in the world, and what space they take up.

A few I have in mind currently:

Normal Materials:
  • Boreal Wooden Beam: Like the wooden beam but with a smoother texture, like how the regular boreal wood placement looks.
  • Crimson Stone Column: A miniture wall of flesh in the form of a pillar. Possibly minus the eyes and mouth. (Wall of flesh does seem to fit the crimson very well)
  • Ebonwood Beam: could be a Eater of worlds likeness. As in bulbs of segments that stack on each other to form the pillar.
  • Gothic Column/Pillar: A pillar with a gothic style to it possibly made from corruption stone or dungeon materials. (dungeon being most likely, since that is where the gothic set originates)
  • Hallow Stone Column: Similar to the Stone Column above, just without the ripple stripe. Smoother cylinder shape with the base like the roman pillar.
  • Obsidian Column: A very dark pillar with gargoyle like scupltings around the middle. Possibly resembling the inhabitants of Hell.
  • Palm Wooden Beam: This would just look like a ribbed bamboo shoot made from palm, or like a plam tree rib; which would make more sense.
  • Pearlwood Beam: Would resemble a unicorns horn in the way it whirls up.
  • Red Brick Column: A Square brick laid column with a smoother grout like base and top. Like cement; the grout part.
  • Rich Mohogany Wooden Beam: Could look like a set of 4 logs tied together, well theoretically 4 as only 2 would be seen, that stand up like the fence this material makes.
  • Sandstone Pillar: Would be a cylinder form with signs of age. Cracks or breakage. Possibly having a mixture of square and cylinder part to it. Like the base is square with symbol depictions and a cylinder middle that goes up to another square with more depictions; if not just top it depictions and square and the bottom is cylinder.
  • Shadewood Beam: Like the wooden beam except with a red ivy trailing over and around it. (Was think of the chest design in this one, with the ivy that is.)
  • Spooky Wooden Beam: Couls in a way be a pillar stacked gargoyle in the likeness of mourning wood.
  • Stone Column: Could be something similar to the roman pillars. With the ripple stripes included.
Ore materials:
  • Cobalt Pillar: Could be a hexagonal or octagonal type pillar with a brick like base.
  • Copper plated Column: You have seen the material. A patch work copper plating making up the form of the pillar.
  • Golden Pillar: Either this cold be a pillar resembling other, except with a shine that gold has; or could be just having a gold trim to it that lines the pillar with the base and top portion made of gold. Possibly a square pillar with a single middle gold line for middle trim as the base and top portion are gold.
  • Meteorite Column: Possibly look like a stack of meteorite rocks vertical, with some structure of metal holding it up like scaffolding; in a sense an hourglass form, except the center is a meteorite rock/ore.
  • Mythril Column: This one could have a scaly appearance that appears to wrap around its mid section that stops at the base and top with are more bricked in fashion; or could be smooth and rounded.
  • Platinum Pillar: Similar to the roman/greek pillars with a single bead of metal that crawls around the pillar like a rope loosely wrapped around to the top of it.
  • Silver Pillar: Plain cylinder shape that forms segments as another is added.
    • Tin plated Column: Same as copper, but with the style of tin plating, as if wrapping around it to form the pillar.
    • Tungsten Pillar: This one would resemble the Hallow stone Column, but with that tungsten texture all around its mid section.
Special Styles:
  • Bone Pillar: A pillar made of bones. Possibly mainly the longer variety of bones with or without a skull.
  • Cactus Pillar: A spiny looking pillar that much resembles a cactus in nature, but the size of a wooden beam.
  • Dynasty Pillar: Square like rice paper and wooden framed object, that would stack up like wooden beams. Similar to what the candles look like but in a more beam like fashion.
  • Flesh Pillar: Although I mentioned a stone form of crimson, this one could be more looking like a pillar made of brains. At least have that design about it with how it twists and turns like the look of a brain.
  • Frozen Pillar: Possibly a frozen variation of the stone column with icicles hanging from its top portion, or simply beads of icy slivers that run frozen as they attempted to make their way to the base.
  • Glass Column: Why? So we could have a semi-transparent column. Unsure of the look, but possibly similar to a roman pillar or the hallowed stone collumn above.
  • Honey Column: Like sap from a tree, the honey runs down to its' base forming the pillar with each liquid bead dripping down its' form.
  • Lihzahrd Pillar: Simply a column with depictions of its' inhabitants. Similar to how the table top has semblance of faces on it.
  • Living Wood Pillar: A twisted root acting as support in the form of a pillar. Think of yggdrasil in a way resembling a tight fitted dna strand.
  • Mushroom Pillar: Simply a fungus sprouting pillar. That will stack up with gills and a cap.
  • Pumpkin Pillar: Can be pumpkins that stacks up to form the pillar, with the green vine to hold them together.
  • Skyware Pillar: A thicker striped roman pillar. Possibly like 3 segments that root to ground and go upward in unison.
I may not have listed for all the ores and types of materials, but I think you should get a rough idea with what I had in mind. I may add more to the list as I think of them. Right now that is all I can think of at the moment. So the main idea is just to add some variety in the types of wooden beams & pillars. Each with a distinct difference between them, as we have paint for ones that look the same. Thank you for reading.:)

Note: I used Pillars as reference to describe some of these. Googling pillars, and looking at the wiki at the various materials & styles to try and come up with fitting ones to express my idea.

Last edited:
maybe it more interested with sprite for a bit,i need to research this after go home.:nurserolleyes:

A bit confused as to what you mean... If referring to lack of sprites, that I am not so well at. Reason I did my best to describe. I may attempt it in the future when I have time and have researched a bit on specs...

@SnailsAttack Thanks, good to see I did well in describing.:)

Last edited:
I... would use the heck out of these. I'm pretty much limited to palm wood, spooky wood, and wooden beams for my columns, and I can't even begin to fathom how much these would open up my building options.

This could be interesting. It'd make stuff like the Heavy Work Bench and other block crafting stations hold much more importance to builders other than the creation of cool furniture. I mean, seriously, who actually uses the Heavy Work Bench that much? It'd be a perfect crafting station for stone and metal pillars.

This could be interesting. It'd make stuff like the Heavy Work Bench and other block crafting stations hold much more importance to builders other than the creation of cool furniture. I mean, seriously, who actually uses the Heavy Work Bench that much? It'd be a perfect crafting station for stone and metal pillars.
I almost forgot about that crafting table... I am one to use it for certain things, but yes the more to do with it the better; since not many choices of things that would be used quite frequently. :dryadsmile:

Back
Top Bottom