Blocks & Decoration Placeable Drinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daimera

Terrarian
tIOkMIb.gif

Last edited:
Way cool, and i think this goes right into terraria. if this does not make it into 1.3, please make it a mod!

These are cool, and AMAZING sprites,I just don't think it would fit into terraria.

Sorry.
No need to apologize, it's a valid criticism! They're quite detailed and the emphasis on real-life brands is sort of a throw-off for sure (I mostly intended it to be a nod to people who'd recognize them). Probably uses way too many colors per sprite, as well.

I still maintain my suggestion, though, 'cause I personally would find it quite endearing. Plus, it'd let me make a huge bar on a base at some point just to be a dork. I don't actually drink a lot, but I love the aesthetic of a well-stocked bar. I'd definitely consider finding a way to put it in as a mod or something if something like this doesn't get implemented, for other people who like bars. I mean, it'd basically just use the placeable books code with a different set of sprites.

In addition, thanks to the other people who support this! Even if it doesn't fit the game, it's nice to know there are others out there who find at least some merit in this silly idea. ;)

Ugh. I want to suggest something, but I've got nothing.
Well, maybe one. My only idea is for a vending machine (probably sold) that would give a random type of drink when right-clicked with a certain type of coin (copper or silver, probably), pretty much just like the Extractonator. This could be either a complete replacement of the NPCs selling it, or just an extra way of getting these drinks.
But, support!

Ugh. I want to suggest something, but I've got nothing.
Well, maybe one. My only idea is for a vending machine (probably sold) that would give a random type of drink when right-clicked with a certain type of coin (copper or silver, probably), pretty much just like the Extractonator. This could be either a complete replacement of the NPCs selling it, or just an extra way of getting these drinks.
But, support!
Thanks!

I could see that working for the soft drinks, but not so much for the alcohol, at least thematically. Why have a bar when everything just comes out of the vending machine down the hall, anyway? Then again, I'm always one of the people to argue AGAINST trying to put too much logic into a game like this, so it probably doesn't matter.

I like the idea of an Extractinator-like vending machine in general, though, but I'm not sure how well it'd work with this idea because there isn't a wide variety of individual items up for offer. As mentioned, these would work like books; a single item/block ID (or multiple, in the case of separating the soft drinks from the liquors) that randomizes its visible sprite when placed as decoration. Meant to simplify the coding (by using what's already there) as well as simplifying inventory management a great deal. If each drink had a separate name and item ID associated with it, sure it'd be easier to put specific drinks on display, but it'd also result in a lot of clutter.

Of course, it'd be fun to come up with 'alternative' names for the drinks to avoid copyright. Stuff like Red's Mark, Cenx Regal, Crowno Royal, Skiphs' 7, Yrimirnoff, etc. etc. (you can tell I've thought about this more than I probably should have). But at the same time, I think mechanics simplification wins out here.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of spamming coins into a machine to see what random drinks come out, with certain ones having rarities associated with them, but I'm not entirely sure it'd be well-received from a inventory management standpoint for mere decorative items. Add RNG to that, and people would no doubt complain that they crammed loads of money into the thing and never got the drink they wanted.

It's definitely a possibility, though. It really depends on what other people would find more convenient.

-snip- (because it's kind of long)

Yeah, I guess that would be true. It could work in other ways, too. I can think of two ideas...
- A crafting station to make non-alcoholic drinks, plain and simple
- You setting the type of drink that will come out (maybe with even a "random" option), and then using copper/silver coins to make the amount you want. It would be more like an actual vending machine, but it may cause more coding than you really need. ;)

Yeah, I guess that would be true. It could work in other ways, too. I can think of two ideas...
- A crafting station to make non-alcoholic drinks, plain and simple
- You setting the type of drink that will come out (maybe with even a "random" option), and then using copper/silver coins to make the amount you want. It would be more like an actual vending machine, but it may cause more coding than you really need. ;)
Possible... though I still think the process overcomplicates something solely meant to be decoration. The suggestion is already stretching a bit, don't wanna overstay its welcome just yet.

Maybe one buys the decorative bottles from an NPC, then use the bottles to craft a Vending Machine, which in turn acts as a furniture item and perhaps can be used as a crafting station/coin exchange machine for something else that's not the decor. Perhaps too involved for my initial pass at a readily-implementable suggestion, something that can come later, after decorative bottles are implemented, IF they're ever implemented.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

Looks nice. There's already a few bar themed items in the game, and there's already a few placed drinks in the dungeon. Let the player put down potions, ale, sake, etc, and introduce a ton more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom