Weapons & Equip Puppetmaster's Staff

Is it broken?

• No, and it sounds really fun!

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • No, but it's not interesting enough for me to use.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Yes, please fix it!

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yes, and don't bother fixing it.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Oh great, can't you guys just smell another summon weapon suggestion? Not again! Please, spare us! Too many, I can't breathe!

I'll make this one interesting, I promise. Have some faith!

voodoostaff.png

Puppetmaster's Staff
28 summon damage

Summons Voodoo Puppets, which levitate and shoot needles at enemies. Here's the tricky bit... the puppets have a hurtbox of their own. When the player hits a puppet with their weapon, the damage is transferred in full to the first living enemy that was hit by one of that puppet's needles. (What this means is that as soon as a puppet hits an enemy, it is bound to it until the enemy dies or despawns. The link is visible as a puppet-string.)

If you pierce both the doll and its victim with an attack, the victim takes damage twice. If you somehow pierce five dolls, all of which targeted the same enemy... even if you miss the actual target, that enemy is going to take full damage five times over. Of course, the movement of the dolls makes it tough to string them together like that.

The puppets have a somewhat lower base range (see Summoner Prefixes) than other minions; this actually serves to keep them accessible to the player and more vulnerable to "damage". However, they ignore summon damage, which is just as well because otherwise it would be quite a mess.

I put the Soul Chain in magic weapon form once, and in accessory form once. This is the same concept in minion form, and I think it's the most logical. Voodoo, and all that.

What makes it interesting is that's it's a summon weapon that reaches its full potential when the player is actually attacking, like they're supposed to; never mind those silly summon-only playthroughs. Let's face it, the vast majority of Terraria players aren't the kind that chucks weapons away just because they aren't in the right "class". That's a "separate but equal" mentality.

Now, I know what you're thinking: if they're puppets, shouldn't they be controllable? Well, remember, in my vision of Terraria, all minions are controllable.

I haven't addressed obtainment yet. What would probably make sense is a rare drop from a hardmode pre-mech enemy in hell... or nerf the damage a little bit, and make it a WoF drop. (I will expect complaints from those who haven't seen the Avenger Emblem solution I posted on the Biome Weapon Project's implementation thread.) It could even join SzGamer227's Post-Mech Hell Expansion as a drop from a new enemy, maybe a Voodoo Puppetmaster. Honestly, it's up to you guys how this will be added. But the question is, do you want it in the first place?

Last edited:
This was what happened to my mind when I first tried reading it:

Explosion.jpg

It's a pretty interesting idea though. I think that the summons should be somewhat close to their assigned target, so the extra damage by hitting both is a little possible.

If they stayed near you, it would be very humorous to use a Horseman's Blade. Everything is getting hit by magic and pumpkins.

Interesting. Might be overpowered in certain situations however, like if you somehow set up a voodoo doll killing machine, and went through the frostmoon flawlessly. In other words, there might be a few exploits, but overall I support!

Interesting idea, but I agree with Flak that it should circle their own victims. It seems more... appropriate somehow. Of course, an easy way exploit the puppets if they stick close to the player is by using aoe weapons, like Stynger, any broadsword, and Snowman Cannon, just by aiming to the ground beneath our feet.

It's a pretty interesting idea though. I think that the summons should be somewhat close to their assigned target, so the extra damage by hitting both is a little possible.
Interesting idea, but I agree with Flak that it should circle their own victims. It seems more... appropriate somehow.
Right, I'll make note of that. It does seem better. 'Course, minions do have to give up against distant targets, and I should emphasize that the voodoo link remains when they return to the player.

Basically, I can have them pursue enemies, but give them a fairly low base range... is that how it should work out?

The way I would do it is perhaps by limiting their tracing range. Perhaps at the very limit of your screen, or just beyond? Now, without a target they will hover around you, like other minions, but when an enemy comes into range, they will circle the target. Maybe make their patterns criss-cross a bit while encircling, at times widening, at times closing in. When you get out of the enemy's range, they will break link and return to you, and then they will seek out a new enemy, to refresh their voodoo link sort of.

Now, I recall your minions can be controlled with right-click, right? So... say if you want to assign them to use them on another target instead, just right-click on the enemy using the staff and it will link with that enemy.

The way I would do it is perhaps by limiting their tracing range. Perhaps at the very limit of your screen, or just beyond? Now, without a target they will hover around you, like other minions, but when an enemy comes into range, they will circle the target. Maybe make their patterns criss-cross a bit while encircling, at times widening, at times closing in. When you get out of the enemy's range, they will break link and return to you, and then they will seek out a new enemy, to refresh their voodoo link sort of.

Now, I recall your minions can be controlled with right-click, right? So... say if you want to assign them to use them on another target instead, just right-click on the enemy using the staff and it will link with that enemy.
The way I envisioned it is that a puppet pursues enemies for a short distance encircling them, and when the enemy passes outside its range, it returns to the player's side, but keeps the link if it landed a hit with its needle. The only thing that can create a voodoo link is a needle, but right-clicking allows the player to control the direction in which the needles are fired.

Seems interesting, but the concept is a bit much to wrap my head around... :confused:

Would be cool, but I don't know if I'd ever use it.

Anyways, remember that Pirate Summoner I suggested a while back? That could be considered for possible methods of obtainment as well.

I really like the idea behind this weapon. I'm a big Castlevania fan, so naturally I would be interested in a weapon like this. :p
Also, I feel like there should be more summon weapons.

This seems like a very interesting concept to me, simply because in my opinion the summoner class needs a bit more variety in their minions' behaviour, and this could work out very well. But as other's pointed out, it can be easily exploited.

Considering how many weapon choices the three other classes have up to this point, we can expect to see some more variety for the summoner class, and if that's the case, I've got a little idea for this which I find to be interesting (and would probably balance the mentioned OP-ness a bit):

While the dolls transfer full damage to enemies they're locked on to, how enemies could also attack the dolls to transfer their damage to you. This would, of course, not always work (else you'd flat out die against bosses like the Destroyer), but only in maybe 1/3 of the cases. You'll get invincibility frames from this.

As said, that's just an idea and it'd only work if the summoner class would get a choice on which weapon to actually use. This'd of course fit for more risky playing players, as more dolls mean that more damage is dealt all around.

Overall I support this idea, simply because, as I mentioned above, I like more variety in the summoner class' minions.

Before I start introducing balancing mechanics, I would like to see a more detailed explanation of how this might be exploited.

I get it now! So you can hit a puppet which is attached to an enemy and then the damage you do to the puppet links along to the enemy. Clever! I want it so then I can own the Ice Queen and not have to aim. But think of the implications with a Horsemans Blade due to all the pumpkins and an inf. hp "enemy" which is right in front of you...
Or with a Bubble Gun - the DPS on that thing is only nullified by the range. Now you have an easy hit enemy at close range. Get owned! At least the sniper rifle would become a little more fun. Hue Hue!

I like this idea. In terms of basic direct damage summons, I think we have enough. We need more original weapon ideas to make it more than a " spawn in 10 sharknadoes and watch hell break loose" . However, that is very fun to do and I highly recommend it if you have the gear.

Last edited:
When the Summoner class is comparable to the other three, you also have to compare their capabilities. Right now, being a summoner just makes it so you can stroll through the world while your minions wreck everything for you. But, you can wreck things much faster.

It should be made out of a couple of things:
Guide Voodoo Doll
Clothier Voodoo Doll
Sorcerer's Emblem (Optional)
Imp Staff (Optional)
Also I think every minion should be a Guide Voodoo Doll, then a Clothier Voodoo Doll, etc. (But that is just me)

I have had this thread liked for a while but figured I should reply. I like how creative this idea is, I'd love ti finally get the chance t play the role of a puppet master :). (the have murdered us for so long anyone play Castlvania Dawn of Sorrow? That one boss...

Back
Top Bottom