Items Rainbow Ammunitions

What is your though of these ideas?

• I like them.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Could use some tweaking on stats to improve.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I dislike them and I find them unnecessary to use.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MasterLuigi452

Headless Horseman
Scraping my original idea of Rainbow Bullets, I have reformed the idea of Rainbow Bullets as well as applying them to different ammunition.

Before I dive into different Rainbow Ammunition types, there is a universal special properties that they will have: Rainbow Trail.
Rainbow Trail will behave just like the Rainbow Gun shot. However they do not last very long and the length of the trail is rather short. Oh and they are not magic based of course.
On the plus side, they will pierce through the enemy, so any mobs that get stuck in the trail will get damaged until the trail is gone or they move out of the way.
Another perk of the trail is that it will emit a colorful light; making underground exploration rather trippy in a way.

*EDIT*
With the recent suggestions, I have added new crafting recipe for these ammunition to simplify them.

The new Rainbow Bullet

Using Frain Breeze's idea from the previous thread for brilliant crafting recipe for the ammunition.
  • Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Empty_Bullet.png
    50 Empty Bullets
Bringing them to Mythril or Orihalcum Anvil will produce 50 Rainbow Bullets.

Rainbow Arrow
  • Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Wooden_Arrow.png
    50 Wooden Arrows
Bringing them to Mythril or Orihalcum Anvil will produce 50 Rainbow Arrows.

Rainbow Rocket I/II/III/IV
  • Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Rocket_I.png
    50 Rocket I/
    Rocket_II.png
    50 Rocket II/
    Rocket_III.png
    50 Rocket III/
    Rocket_IV.png
    50 Rocket IV
Bringing them to Mythril or Orihalcum Anvil will produce 50 Rainbow Rockets I/II/III/IV respectively.

The NEW Crafting Recipe for the Ammunition
This new crafting recipe for the ammunition now uses my new crafting material:
dPlYyxz.gif
Rainbow Gel.

Rainbow Bullet
  • Empty_Bullet.png
    50 Empty Bullets

Stats
Damage: 10
Velocity: 5
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 13
Copper_Coin.png

Special Properties
This bullet will pierce through three enemies as well as leaving 5 blocks length of Rainbow Trail.
This trail will follow the bullet's head and will stop and stay on screen when the bullet pierces three enemies, or if the bullet hits a block.
The width of the trail is equal to bullet.
The trail has the life span of 2 seconds.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the bullet's and the gun's damage total.

Rainbow Arrow

Stats
Damage: 14
Velocity: 4
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 12
Copper_Coin.png

Chance to Break: 75%. Does not have chance to break back into Wooden Arrow.

Special Properties
This arrow will pierce through six enemies as well as leaving 10 blocks length of Rainbow Trail.
This trail will follow the arrow's tail and will stop and stay on screen when the arrow pierces six enemies, or if the arrow hits a block.
The width of the trail is equal to the arrow's head.
The trail has the life span of 5 seconds.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the arrow's and the bow's/repeater's damage total.

• Rocket_I.png
    50 Rocket I/
    Rocket_II.png
    50 Rocket II/
    Rocket_III.png
    50 Rocket III/
    Rocket_IV.png
    50 Rocket IV
Bringing them to Mythril or Orihalcum Anvil will produce 50 Rainbow Rockets I/II/III/IV respectively.

Stats
Damage: 30/35/50/55 on rocket types respectively.
Velocity: ??
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 30
Copper_Coin.png
/1
Silver_Coin.png
Copper_Coin.png
/70
Copper_Coin.png
/3
Silver_Coin.png
Copper_Coin.png
on rocket types respectively.

Special Properties
The rockets will NOT produce the trail when they are launched.
Upon explosion however, rainbow trails will come out from the center of the explosion and spreads to 12 fixed directions.
The length of the trails are three blocks longer than the rocket explosion radius.
The width of the trail is the exact size of Rainbow Gun's rainbow.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the rocket's and the launcher's damage total.

My Thoughts on these ammunition
At first, I disliked the idea of 1 Hallowed Bar as required material to craft the ammunition. However when I though about it more deeply, I asked: "How are all those random materials to fuse together just by mashing them together?" The answer: you can't. Rainbow itself felt magical to me in Terraria since the introduction of Hallow. That's why I have decided to add 1 Hallowed Bar as the crafting material. After all, the power that is stored inside the Hallowed Bar will keep those materials harmonized to keep them stable.

Why did I choose those materials listed above instead of something else that you had in mind?
I chose those materials based on the bullet's color when it is shot.
And each bullet colors crafted by those materials matches the color of Rainbow perfectly. Minus orange. I don't think there is any orange colored bullets in Terraria...

I'm also terrible with numbers when it comes down to stats. The ammunition can be nerfed or buffed in damage, but I honestly don't know.

NEW
As for why it only requires 1 Rainbow Gel, it is because the Rainbow Slime is a VERY rare mob in Hallow. Only appears during rain, so it's no easy feat to find this mob everyday. The gel drop count per slime kill will be 1~6 though.

Thoughts, questions, suggestions in tweaking? I'm all ears and eyes.

Last edited:
It's very detailed and well-thought out, for sure. But if these rainbow bullets no longer inflict random rebuffs, wouldn't it be a little cleaner to introduce just one crafting material for them? Say, perhaps "Rainbow Mist", dropped from Rainbow Slimes?

The application of this ammo is rather situational (I can see it being very effective during Eclipses for instance, but rather useless for fast moving bosses like His Dukeness). However, I really doubt anyone is ever going to craft it if it's this difficult to make. I mean, with all due respect, the current recipe is ridiculous: these sorts of ammo should use the conventional purchasable ingredients like the Vial of Venom and Gold Dust or just be made from a single bar (Meteor Shots, Chlorophyte Bullets). Crystal Shards, Hallowed Bars and Chlorophyte bars require substantial effort to obtain, I really don't think the result is worth the trouble anyway.

Personally I think it really would be fine as 50 Empty Bullets with something rainbow related, like Prism Powder or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure that in this case you can balance power with cost. I know it loses its "all the ingredients into one" status, but that idea isn't going to work out IMO.

It's very detailed and well-thought out, for sure. But if these rainbow bullets no longer inflict random rebuffs, wouldn't it be a little cleaner to introduce just one crafting material for them? Say, perhaps "Rainbow Mist", dropped from Rainbow Slimes?
I guess creating a new crafting material like you mentioned "Rainbow Mist" will work better to reduce the time to craft these ammunition.
I was thinking about creating a new crafting material from Rainbow Slime to craft a new type of torch....
....I think I should make that idea into a thread before someone else steals it. Better search the forum to prevent any dupe ideas.

The application of this ammo is rather situational (I can see it being very effective during Eclipses for instance, but rather useless for fast moving bosses like His Dukeness). However, I really doubt anyone is ever going to craft it if it's this difficult to make. I mean, with all due respect, the current recipe is ridiculous: these sorts of ammo should use the conventional purchasable ingredients like the Vial of Venom and Gold Dust or just be made from a single bar (Meteor Shots, Chlorophyte Bullets). Crystal Shards, Hallowed Bars and Chlorophyte bars require substantial effort to obtain, I really don't think the result is worth the trouble anyway.

Personally I think it really would be fine as 50 Empty Bullets with something rainbow related, like Prism Powder or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure that in this case you can balance power with cost. I know it loses its "all the ingredients into one" status, but that idea isn't going to work out IMO.
What if I increase the ammunition base damage? Will that make these more viable option for combat?

I guess creating a new crafting material like you mentioned "Rainbow Mist" will work better to reduce the time to craft these ammunition.
I was thinking about creating a new crafting material from Rainbow Slime to craft a new type of torch....
....I think I should make that idea into a thread before someone else steals it. Better search the forum to prevent any dupe ideas.

What if I increase the ammunition base damage? Will that make these more viable option for combat?

No, I really don't think you can make the recipe worthwhile, not even if you make it instakill the Duke (alright, maybe then, but that brings other problems with it).

I really think simplifying the recipe is the way to go, but of course that's up to you.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your post, gonna rectify it.

If you mean the situationalism, no, I think base damage has little to do with. People who use venom bullets use it mainly for the venom effect, not for the base damage (maybe they do, I don't know). I'm not saying that the effect is never useful, though, in fact I think it can be useful more often than not, especially if it gives light. That would add exploration to its merits.

No, I really don't think you can make the recipe worthwhile, not even if you make it instakill the Duke (alright, maybe then, but that brings other problems with it).

I really think simplifying the recipe is the way to go, but of course that's up to you.
Now that I listened both of you and Baconfry's thoughts, I believe using one special crafting material to craft is indeed the best course of action for this concept.

In fact, with that way, I can also introduce new item idea that just popped up.

Scraping my original idea of Rainbow Bullets, I have reformed the idea of Rainbow Bullets as well as applying them to different ammunition.

Before I dive into different Rainbow Ammunition types, there is a universal special properties that they will have: Rainbow Trail.
Rainbow Trail will behave just like the Rainbow Gun shot. However they do not last very long and the length of the trail is rather short. Oh and they are not magic based of course.
On the plus side, they will pierce through the enemy, so any mobs that get stuck in the trail will get damaged until the trail is gone or they move out of the way.
Another perk of the trail is that it will emit a colorful light; making underground exploration rather trippy in a way.

*EDIT*
With the recent suggestions, I have added new crafting recipe for these ammunition to simplify them.

The new Rainbow Bullet

Using Frain Breeze's idea from the previous thread for brilliant crafting recipe for the ammunition.
  • Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Empty_Bullet.png
    50 Empty Bullets

Stats
Damage: 10
Velocity: 5
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 13
Copper_Coin.png

Special Properties
This bullet will pierce through three enemies as well as leaving 5 blocks length of Rainbow Trail.
This trail will follow the bullet's head and will stop and stay on screen when the bullet pierces three enemies, or if the bullet hits a block.
The width of the trail is equal to bullet.
The trail has the life span of 2 seconds.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the bullet's and the gun's damage total.

Rainbow Arrow
  • Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Wooden_Arrow.png
    50 Wooden Arrows

Stats
Damage: 14
Velocity: 4
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 12
Copper_Coin.png

Chance to Break: 75%. Does not have chance to break back into Wooden Arrow.

Special Properties
This arrow will pierce through six enemies as well as leaving 10 blocks length of Rainbow Trail.
This trail will follow the arrow's tail and will stop and stay on screen when the arrow pierces six enemies, or if the arrow hits a block.
The width of the trail is equal to the arrow's head.
The trail has the life span of 5 seconds.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the arrow's and the bow's/repeater's damage total.

• Crystal_Shard.png
    1 Crystal Shard
  • Cog.png
    1 Cog
  • Nanites.png
    1 Nanites
  • Explosive_Powder.png
    1 Explosive Powder
  • Gold_Dust.png
    1 Gold Dust
  • Chlorophyte_Bar.png
    1 Cholorophye Bar
  • Vial_of_Venom.png
    1 Vial of Venom
  • Hallowed_Bar.png
    1 Hallowed Bar
  • Rocket_I.png
    50 Rocket I/
    Rocket_II.png
    50 Rocket II/
    Rocket_III.png
    50 Rocket III/
    Rocket_IV.png
    50 Rocket IV

Stats
Damage: 30/35/50/55 on rocket types respectively.
Velocity: ??
Rarity:
Rarity_color_7.png

Sell Value: 30
Copper_Coin.png
/1
Silver_Coin.png
Copper_Coin.png
/70
Copper_Coin.png
/3
Silver_Coin.png
Copper_Coin.png
on rocket types respectively.

Special Properties
The rockets will NOT produce the trail when they are launched.
Upon explosion however, rainbow trails will come out from the center of the explosion and spreads to 12 fixed directions.
The length of the trails are three blocks longer than the rocket explosion radius.
The width of the trail is the exact size of Rainbow Gun's rainbow.
The damage of the trail is the half of the combination of the rocket's and the launcher's damage total.

The NEW Crafting Recipe for the Ammunition
I will try to sprite this, but it will take some time. If anyone wants, you can sprite it! It will look like regular Gel with rainbow color changing like Rainbow Brick.

Rainbow Bullet
  • Empty_Bullet.png
    50 Empty Bullets

Rainbow Arrow

• Rocket_I.png
    50 Rocket I/
    Rocket_II.png
    50 Rocket II/
    Rocket_III.png
    50 Rocket III/
    Rocket_IV.png
    50 Rocket IV

My Thoughts on these ammunition
At first, I disliked the idea of 1 Hallowed Bar as required material to craft the ammunition. However when I though about it more deeply, I asked: "How are all those random materials to fuse together just by mashing them together?" The answer: you can't. Rainbow itself felt magical to me in Terraria since the introduction of Hallow. That's why I have decided to add 1 Hallowed Bar as the crafting material. After all, the power that is stored inside the Hallowed Bar will keep those materials harmonized to keep them stable.

Why did I choose those materials listed above instead of something else that you had in mind?
I chose those materials based on the bullet's color when it is shot.
And each bullet colors crafted by those materials matches the color of Rainbow perfectly. Minus orange. I don't think there is any orange colored bullets in Terraria...

I'm also terrible with numbers when it comes down to stats. The ammunition can be nerfed or buffed in damage, but I honestly don't know.

NEW
As for why it only requires 1 Rainbow Gel, it is because the Rainbow Slime is a VERY rare mob in Hallow. Only appears during rain, so it's no easy feat to find this mob everyday. The gel drop count per slime kill will be 1~6 though.

Thoughts, questions, suggestions in tweaking? I'm all ears and eyes.
Hi I just wanted to let you know that I coped your idea a little and i'm sorry. I guess I should have looked to see if some one posted the idea of more rainbow stuff before I did. But hey we all make mistakes we just got to learn from. If you want to report my thread you can.

Hi I just wanted to let you know that I coped your idea a little and i'm sorry. I guess I should have looked to see if some one posted the idea of more rainbow stuff before I did. But hey we all make mistakes we just got to learn from. If you want to report my thread you can.
Hey no problem! At least we are on same page with the idea!

As with your original Rainbow Gel idea, I find this idea to be great as well. I wish you success and support you with my like. :D

Moved the ammunition stats out from the old crafting recipe so others can read it more easily.

In addition, I need some help with spriting. I'm a busy man with the school, so I can't invest a lot of time into spriting.
If anyone is generous enough to contributing the sprite making, that would be wonderful.

Perfect with chain gun, since the bullets wont always go to the right direction, it will... Makes rainbows everywhere. I would say it's a great idea, but i don't think I would run after rainbow slimes to these...
Maybe if it's a rare drop from any hardmode slimes?

Perfect with chain gun, since the bullets wont always go to the right direction, it will... Makes rainbows everywhere. I would say it's a great idea, but i don't think I would run after rainbow slimes to these...
Maybe if it's a rare drop from any hardmode slimes?
Not sure if making Rainbow Gel dropped from other slimes than Rainbow Slime is a good idea.
And generally, an ammunition supply that relies on mob killing is rather not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom