Rate the Weapon: Day Eleven - Daedalus Stormbow

How often do you use Daedalus Stormbow in your playthroughs?

• 1 - Never

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Twelve: Daedalus Stormbow

The single most overpowered weapon in the game, I think. It turns destroyer from a crummy juncture into a 100% farmable experience. It's even good vs fishron, moon lord, and pillars, despite being obtainable immediately after entering hardmode. That said, I get this in hardcore, speed runs, and in normal games. It's never not worth getting, unless its use is expressly forbidden.

Early Hardmode items
Day 11 - Nimbus Rod - 4.47 - (19 votes)

Pre-Hardmode items
Day 7 - Pistols - 4.14 - (34 votes)
Day 4 - Yoyos - 4.00 - (12 votes)
Day 8 - Covered in BEES! - 3.72 - (22 votes)
Day 5 - Boomerangs - 3.44 - (18 votes)
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.53 - (26 votes)
Day 3 - Grenades - 3.37 - (24 votes)
Day 10 - Gem Staves - 2.86 - (23 votes)
Day 9 - Throwing knife/shuriken family - 2.5 (16 votes)
Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.45 - (22 votes) - Everyone agrees these are not very good, but have no idea how to improve them.
Day 6 - Flails - 2.04 - (24 votes)

Daedalus Stormbow is one of the most polarizing weapons I've seen in a long time. The power bonus it provides is great for newer players that just need a quick boost to beat the last mech, and it's also great for more experienced players that just want to speed through the tiers. Frankly, it makes the Jungle Crate Seedler from 1.3.0.1 look like a joke in comparison.

Combined with Holy Arrows, it absolutely shreds anything that you fight on the surface in the early stages of hardmode, making short work of both Destroyer and Prime. You can even use it to defeat Duke Fishron with very early Hardmode equipment if you're good at kiting him, something that not very many items available in its timeframe can claim to do. It's not usable for Plantera unless you dig out a huge arena, but it's still usable for Golem if you get a large enough chamber for the altar.

It also makes short work of Martian Saucers from the safety of a dirt box, along with still doing respectable damage to pillar mobs if you don't want to bother with making a Chlorophyte Shotbow for Fishron and just want to go to Phantasm.

Frankly, the only disadvantage this weapon has in my eyes is that it makes the game boring. It does too much and remains relevant for far too long. I used to simply believe this weapon was just a neat little power spike for players who were able to defeat a Hallowed Mimic early and get lucky with the drops, but the more I've used it the more disgusted I've been with it. 1.3 weapons in general have been above the standard 1.2.4 power curve, but Stormbow is leaps and bounds above the rest of them just due to how easy it is to use compared to the other Mimic weapons and the Shadowflame weapons.

I wouldn't say it's essential, but it can make progression very, very trivial.

So, today is one of my weapon's day. :) It's way too OP, that's true, but this also helps with speeding things up. For me, it's a must have for me unless forbidden by playtrough's rule. I did this forbidding one time, and interestingly this increased the fun. So yeah, it makes things super fast, makes some kind of grinds way easier, also it's fun to use, but I think it kills the overall fun...

About my vote, I said, it's a must have :)

You forgot to say that the Stormbow is boosted by both Archery Potion AND Magic Quiver, making it even more OP.

The Daedalus Stormbow is like an un-nerfed Phantasm: It's too powerful and too easy to get. It removes all the challenge from Hardmode- you can even dig a huge opened area in the Underground Jungle to kill Plantera easily. It's also definite proof that the Hallowed Repeater is completely useless.

Day twelve: Fetid Baghnakhs?

Admittedly, a lot of the Stormbow's power comes from Holy Arrows. If the Stormbow fired a unique projectile from all types of ammunition then it's likely that it wouldn't be anywhere near as overbearing as it currently is.

5 Most of the time.

The Daedalus Stormbow is a very great weapon. It could be said to be on the border of being considered Overpowered. Even with just wooden arrows used from an Endless Quiver, this weapon wrecks havoc across the surface and against the Mech Bosses. Even on Expert mode.

It is because it is such a great weapon that I've tried not to use or get one on newer playthroughs. Because I worry about what happens to my overall skill if I depend on a single weapon too much to beat a boss in all of my playthroughs. I like to be able to be comfortable with using several different types of weapons, which is something I've been doing in future playthroughs.

Shouldn't it be "twelve" in the thread's title? :p

Anyway, I voted for 4 - often. I use it often during ranged/mixed playthroughs. It's very powerful, quite OP for the tier, but it has some uses. I love smashing The Destroyer, Martian Saucers and other floating stuff with it.

Often, but not always.

I do agree that the bow is stupidly powerful, but only when combined with Holy Arrows. Otherwise, it's kinda meh. Anyways, the fact it can only be used on the surface reliably, and it takes farming mimics to get it...

I like the power of the weapon and sometimes I'll get it for laughs, but I oftentimes skip it, because face it. No experienced player is actually afraid of the mechs these days. I usually kill Destroyer with a Nimbus Rod which works just fine, Prime with an Amarok or Yelets, and the Twins... depends on what I'm feeling like and what I've already found thusfar in the playthrough.

As for using the bow on Martians, I prefer not too because it kills too many martians along with the UFOs -- since UFOs are the only enemy that drops anything interesting other than martian blocks, I tend to want to kill the UFOs and ONLY the UFOs, and the Stormbow doesn't really allow you to do that unless you make a special arena so that the martians can walk underneath some solid blocks or something, suppose that could be done. Might try that sometime. Otherwise, I usually just use a yo-yo.

As for using it on Golem, even if I could get it to work, I wouldn't. I like to farm Golem because he is so easily popped and killed -- there's no Night requirement, his altar is already there where the enemies that drop the cores spawn, etc. What I like to do, is I like to kill him slowly, and stand on platforms as high up as I can so that Lihzarhds and Flying Serpents spawn in the room below while I have the Nimbus Rod working away at his fists, then his head while I spam projectiles to kill the Lihzarhds that spawn below.

That way, I can farm for cells while killing Golem at the same time and in this manner, I'll build up 20-30 cells and then go kill Golem fast a few times (usually, with a Terra Blade) and then farm more cells by killing him the slow way, etc, until I get everything I want from him.

I once did this to farm money, but I've found that Solar Eclipse gives better money, so I do that instead. By the time I get everything I want from Golem, I've got enough tablets for.... more money than I'd ever need to be honest.

So... the weapon is great, perhaps a bit too powerful when combined with holy arrows, potion and quiver, but since I don't really need something that ridiculous, I tend to skip it, unless of course I stumble upon it while farming souls or crystals or something.

EDIT: Btw you might wanna ask a moderator to change the title of the thread... it's day 12 but you have day 11 in the title.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. I dropped the ball on the title. It should be fine. We all know it's about the stoprmbow.

Not a fan. You ever use the Starfury? Same concept, hits the first thing it encounters going down, which is why most people only bring that out in special occasions. Sure fighting on the surface it's a beast, but I never understood this fascination with the surface that the players coming around post 1.1 brought with them. Suddenly everything has to happen up there, is navigating the underground confusing to some people? Anyway, this thing is also madly inaccurate which makes sense as it's a gatligator pointed downwards. Anything not moving slowly or the size of a bus is not going to feel the pain. Cool concept, but we're not rating these weapons on ideal conditions, but all conditions and the Stormbow is not useful in all conditions. I give it a 3 out of 5.

rename it The Destroyer and it's perfect

I personally killed Super-Cyber-Sandworm with an Ice Sickle, although it was extremely narrow and I almost got killed at the last moment. Biome Mimics are the worst for farming. On one hand, it blasts through my least favourite NPC murderer in no time at all, but it's not as effective on other mobs. Personally I prefer a gun with Chlorophyte bullets but a lucky drop + Endless Quiver = Megashark for Twins and Skeletron Prime in no time at all.

God I hate fighting biome mimics.

It's pretty okay.
You still have to kill a Hallowed Mimic to get it though. And that can be a pain.
As mentioned above, it doesn't work quite as well underground, so while it can probably shred the Mechanical bosses, it's definitely not so good for Plantera, and the Golem's easy anyway so it doesn't matter.
After the Golem, you can go get the Phantasm or Tsunami from their respective sources, and they easily outdamage the Stormbow while having a much more sensible firing pattern.
On that note, the Stormbow's not really all that good against small targets like the Lunatic Cultist.

Not a fan. You ever use the Starfury? Same concept, hits the first thing it encounters going down, which is why most people only bring that out in special occasions. Sure fighting on the surface it's a beast, but I never understood this fascination with the surface that the players coming around post 1.1 brought with them. Suddenly everything has to happen up there, is navigating the underground confusing to some people? Anyway, this thing is also madly inaccurate which makes sense as it's a gatligator pointed downwards. Anything not moving slowly or the size of a bus is not going to feel the pain. Cool concept, but we're not rating these weapons on ideal conditions, but all conditions and the Stormbow is not useful in all conditions. I give it a 3 out of 5.

All 3 mechs are usually fought on the surface, because building in the air is easier than building underground, because to build an arena underground you gotta waste hours clearing away thousands of blocks to make any decent sized arena. Or, you could find a big open space of air and build wood platforms. The latter saves you HOURS of work.

If it weren't for Plantera being enraged on the surface, people'd prolly fight him up there too. And Golem's so easy they don't bother. That just leaves the Brain and the Eater, the Brain you got a big open empty room already, and the Eater.....well the Eater's so easy, I don't even bother with an arena.

The Stormbow is second to none on the surface for the tier you get it at. It out-does a lot of weapons (or all of them, lol) clear up until Pillars if you're on the surface, and the Surface is where you fight the 3 mechs. So basically Stormbow>All on Mechs.

After mechs, is when it's a bit more "meh".

As for more underground content, well... I dunno. *shrugs* Guess you gotta talk to Re-Logic about that.

The Daedalus Stormbow is useful for one thing and one thing only: the mechs. I've never found it too useful for much other than cheesing these bosses, mainly because of the main gimmick of it. The 'rain from the sky' thing makes it great for some times, but most of the time a regular bow makes for a much better weapon. Gets a 4 from me.

Haven't been on the forums/played terraria for ages, first new post.
I just defeated all the mechanical bosses using the Daedalus Stormbow with holy arrows, and the melee adamantite armor.
Since I fought the destroyer first (for obvious reasons) I did use the Megashark with crystal bullets as my secondary on the other mechs.

Yes I do realize this post is from last year.

Back
Top Bottom