Biomes & Nature Regenerating Orbs and Hearts

Is it good?

• Yes, both.

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • No, just the regenerating part. Not comfortable with dual availability.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Okay, I had an idea that addresses the complaints about Crimson and the Band of Starpower, that works a bit differently from this approach (which I still want want want).

Basically, every world will generate a Floating Island that is taken over by the opposite evil biome, and contains a Demon Heart or Shadow Orb at its center (but no Skyware). You can smash that to get some loot you wouldn't have been able to obtain before.

That presents an obvious problem: what if I want to smash it more than once? I chose to solve it this way.

The game will record the position of every Demon Heart and Shadow Orb that the world generated. Edit: When smashed, the Hearts and Orbs will be replaced by a "broken" sprite, and will be invulnerable to further damage unless you're really determined to get rid of them and go at 'em for three seconds with a Pwnhammer or better. (That causes them to drop as a placeable item, in their broken form.) Every day, at dusk, a Shadow Orb or Demon Heart will regenerate if

1. There are no blocks in the way.
2. The spot is backed up by Ebonstone(Shadow Orb) or Crimstone(Demon Heart) walls. Naturally-generated or player-placed, just in case you had an accident.

1. The Heart/Orb exists in its "broken" form.
2. The area is occupied by the correct evil biome.
3. math.random() < 0.1 (10% chance)

So with patience, the equipment obtained from orbs and hearts will be renewable. Thinking that the game should give you a message when things regenerate.

How's that sound?

Last edited:
It sounds like a good idea. The whole idea of corruption items being unobtainable with a crimson world and vice versa annoys me.

I would love this. Like others, I love both sets of equipment but don't want to hop worlds.

I like the idea of regenerating Shadow Orbs and Demon Hearts. However, I don't think mixing Crimson and Corruption in one world is a good idea. It defeats the whole purpose of having them as alternates, IMO.
math.random() < 0.1
Should actually be either
Code:
Main.rand.NextDouble() < 0.1
or
Code:
Main.rand.Next(10) == 0

I don't remember if I commented on the TO thread, but I will say that this is a great idea. The fact that you can also relocate the orbs/hearts in Hardmode is also a great idea, so that if you need to you can relocate them to a more convenient spot. As well, since the proposition only includes a single island covered in the other dark biome, it doesn't completely defeat the point, despite what NiraExecuto says.

Sounds good, but in that case there shouldn't be two or three spawns of the same evil in one world to prevent a major farming ability.

Dude.........

Placeable broken hearts?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Extra Big Want.

A new addition to the various farms in the game?

Also, want. It would be interesting to see broken hearts in normal mode, then to see them regenerate, and if you want to take them as furniture for yourself, you need to defeat the WoF. Heaps of like for this idea.

I had an idea regarding replenishing orbs and hearts. I don't want to start a new thread, and I don't want to take away from the OP's idea. I thought maybe someone could make use of what I and other have written in another thread.

The idea involved an event like Meteors. This would also allow for both biomes to show up on one world(eventually). I didn't know if the whole suggestion was good enough to post at all. The seeds of the idea are on post #33 of this page.

*No Baconfry, I'm not asking you to change your idea at all, I really like it. In fact, I hope they implement it. I am hoping something I thought of could be used as inspiration for someone else though.

Yes please. With regenerating orb/hearts, there could also be just one evil biome in a world, not three or four. They really do take up a lot of space, which is unfortunate for builders.

.....oh my :red: yes! baconfry, once again you blow my mind. this would solve a VAST amount of gear problems on alternate worlds. but may i make 1 small suggestion? "limit 1 per alternate evil world for placement". it would slow things down but on grand scale, only a little. all in all, absolutely love the idea, and i support it!

Even if there was no practical purpose to this I would support this (those would look cool as decoration) but seeing as how this has an excellent purpose of balancing some of the differences between the two current evil biomes without just spawning both I like it even more. Out of curiosity if a third evil does make its way into the game would its loot appear in the same manner?

I don't like this. While convenient, why are they alternates of each other if both of them show up in one world? It just seems weird that both can show up, and come Hardmode that island could get swallowed by the other evil, losing the orb/heart there's regeneration. It could also lead to someone getting shadow orb/ crimson hearts before the EoC. I have gotten to floating islands before, on complete accident. I mean they could easily break the orb/heart 3 times then just jump off into a lake below and get more and more gear. Come a demolitionist and that's meteor gear before the EoC even has a chance to spawn! You could say this could've been done before, but you'd have to
  1. Wait for demolitionist, or get a :red: ton of bombs
  2. Go into the enemy filled chasms of the evil biome
  3. Survive a deadly fall
  4. Blow up any rock in your way numerous times
  5. smash the things
  6. and then somehow escape the big evil boss guy.
All of this can be avoided by just some rope and dirt, and then, they could see a island from a tall hill! I mean, it isn't a bad idea, but it breaks progession. Even having a layer of ebon/crim stone wouldn't help, as that is still easier than braving the evil biome of that world. the only way I see it working is if all orbs/hearts that spawn in this island start broken, then regenerate after the EoC's defeat.

I don't like this. While convenient, why are they alternates of each other if both of them show up in one world? It just seems weird that both can show up, and come Hardmode that island could get swallowed by the other evil, losing the orb/heart there's regeneration. It could also lead to someone getting shadow orb/ crimson hearts before the EoC. I have gotten to floating islands before, on complete accident. I mean they could easily break the orb/heart 3 times then just jump off into a lake below and get more and more gear. Come a demolitionist and that's meteor gear before the EoC even has a chance to spawn! You could say this could've been done before, but you'd have to
  3. Survive a deadly fall
  5. smash the things
All of this can be avoided by just some rope and dirt, and then, they could see a island from a tall hill! I mean, it isn't a bad idea, but it breaks progession. Even having a layer of ebon/crim stone wouldn't help, as that is still easier than braving the evil biome of that world. the only way I see it working is if all orbs/hearts that spawn in this island start broken, then regenerate after the EoC's defeat.
What stops you from getting that gear before EoC? Nothing. I ran into the corruption before fighting the EoC and used bombs to destroy the blocks.

What stops you from getting that gear before EoC? Nothing. I ran into the corruption before fighting the EoC and used bombs to destroy the blocks.
You could say this could've been done before, but you'd have to
  3. Survive a deadly fall
  5. smash the things
All of this can be avoided by just some rope and dirt, and then, they could see a island from a tall hill!
Plus, it regenerates, so. ..
I mean they could easily break the orb/heart 3 times then just jump off into a lake below and get more and more gear. Come a demolitionist and that's meteor gear before the EoC even has a chance to spawn! You could say this could've been done before, but you'd have to

In order to escape you can use a magic mirror or a recall potion. Either that or just destroy two for the time being. I got my explosives from a chest and pots.

I didn't have to survive a deadly fall, I just put platforms every now and again. The first time I did that I managed with a cloud in a bottle and a well timed double jump.

Climbing into the sky without a way to negate knockback has a deadly fall.

In essence it isn't any easier to get meteor gear. Also water bolt spawning in the top part of the dungeon also breaks progression.

Also waiting for it to regenerate up there? It is a 10% chance per day.

Besides there is an even more obvious fix to the "problem" you brought up. Make it so only the shadow orbs cause a meteor in corruption worlds.

Back
Top Bottom