Weapons & Equip "Removing" endgame armor set bonuses

Baconfry

Terrarian
Put away those Captain Picard facepalm images, because this thread probably isn't what you think it is... but you're here viewing this thread anyways, so I'm going to guess that either the controversial-sounding title did its job, you're watching this subforum (as you dang well should be), or you saw me fat-fingering and posting this thread by mistake a while ago. i don't really want to talk about it okay

But technically, yes, I am proposing the removal of endgame armor set bonuses. A set bonus is defined as a special bonus that activates only when three armor pieces of the same set are worn. Replace one piece, and the entire thing is gone.

That takes away a lot of creative freedom when it comes to armor sets! Mixing and matching endgame armors is almost unheard of, except in PvP situations in which the Spectre set bonus never activates anyways so you're better off wearing the Chlorophyte Headgear for a little bit more raw damage.

So this is a new system that I've devised, and I'm aware that it introduces some big changes. Rest assured that the full set bonuses will be untouched for the most part. One or two might be buffed a bit, but those are the ones I think are currently underpowered anyways.

The basic idea is that wearing an incomplete set of armor will grant an incomplete set bonus. This allows players to put a bit more thought into their armor configuration; suddenly, combinations of different armor sets are no longer objectively inferior to completed sets! If you think gaining a weaker version of the Chlorophyte leaf crystal is worth a percentage loss to Spectre lifesteal, then swap out the Spectre Pants for Chlorophyte Greaves. Loads more possibilities than there were before.

(stand by while I figure out how this table thing works)

Armor Set | 1 piece equipped | 2 pieces equipped | Full set equipped (current)
Palladium_armor.png
Palladium | Striking an enemy grants Rapid Healing at a 60% healing rate for 3 seconds | 80% rate for 4 seconds | 100% rate for 5 seconds
Orichalcum_armor.png
Orichalcum (buffed) | Striking an enemy causes a petal to fly across the screen | 2 petals fly across the screen at different angles (due to pierce mechanics, they cannot strike the same enemy twice) | 3 petals fly across the screen
Titanium_armor.png
Titanium | Striking an enemy grants Shadow Dodge with 40 second duration/cooldown | 30 second duration/cooldown | 20 second duration/cooldown
Chlorophyte_armor.png
Chlorophyte | Summons a leaf crystal with 24 base damage | 32 base damage | 40 base damage
Turtle_armor.png
Turtle (buffed) | Returns 80% damage to attacker | Returns 130% damage to attacker | Returns 200% damage to attacker*
Shroomite_armor.png
Shroomite | Stealth increases ranged damage and crit, maxes out at 15% damage and 5% crit | Maxes out at 30% damage and 8% crit | Maxes out at 45% damage and 10% crit
6sw31Ai.png
Spectre (Mask) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a damaging wisp | 80% chance to create damaging wisp | 100% chance to create damaging wisp
ekctpWj.png
Spectre (Hood) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a healing wisp | 80% chance to create healing wisp | 100% chance to create healing wisp
dWQzmx3.png
Beetle (Scale Mail) | Beetle Might maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
j7GGSgm.png
Beetle (Shell) | Beetle Endurance maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
*I know what you're going to say. DON'T EVEN SAY IT. The dodge effect granted by the Shadow Dodge buff or Black Belt will no longer trigger the Star Cloak, Honey Comb, Panic Necklace, Turtle Armor (and hypothetical Mythril, see below) set bonus, or Thorns buff.

Just to prove that we can keep doing this for any set bonuses we introduce in the future, I'll extend this to some purely hypothetical armor set bonuses of my own invention. Most of them have been listed here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/cobalt-mythril-adamantite-brainstorming-thread.1734/

Cobalt_armor_Hat.png
Cobalt_armor_Helmet.png
Cobalt_armor_Mask.png
Cobalt | Increases damage, movement speed, and defense in proportion to damage output of nearby enemies. Capped at +10% damage and movement, and +10 defense. | Capped at +15% damage and movement, and +15 defense. | Capped at +20% damage and movement, and +20 defense.
Mythril_armor_Hood.png
Mythril_armor_Helmet.png
Mythril_armor_Hat.png
Mythril | Enemies that hurt the wearer have defense reduced by half for 2 seconds. | Defense reduced by 75% for 4 seconds. | Defense reduced to zero for 6 seconds.
Adamantite_armor.png
Adamantite | Picking up a heart grants the Resolve buff. Resolve grants +6% damage and +6 defense for 6 seconds. | Resolve grants +8% damage and +8 defense for 8 seconds. | Resolve grants +10% damage and +10 defense for 10 seconds.|
Hallowed_armor_Mask.png
Hallowed (Mask) | In proportion to how much health the wearer has lost, increases melee damage and speed by up to 10%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 15%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 20%.
Hallowed_armor_Helmet.png
Hallowed (Helmet) | In proportion to the distance to the target, ranged damage and critical strike chance are increased by up to 10% damage, 6% crit. | Increased by up to 15% damage, 8% crit. | Increased by up to 20% damage, 10% crit.
Hallowed_armor_Headgear.png
Hallowed (Headgear) | As long as the wearer avoids taking damage, magic damage and critical strike chance increase by up to 8%. | Increased by up to 14%. | Increased by up to 20%.
Frost_armor_male.png
Frost | Melee and ranged damage leave behind stationary ice crystals that deal 60% damage and last for 4 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 80% damage and last for 7 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 100% damage and last for 10 seconds.
The Frost Armor set bonus probably demands some explanation. As almost everyone knows, the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets are confirmed for 1.3, and the reason why people are not enthusiastic about it is because Frostburn can already be reliably inflicted by anyone wearing Frost Armor. If we make it so Frost Armor does something else, then the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets might find a niche. I didn't consider this change major enough to include in its own thread (my standards are too high nowadays), but it deserves to be mentioned here.

Oh, and a reminder: I did all the balancing and statistics with my gut. I have a pretty sensible gut, and it's right more often than not, but don't go around thinking that I've done in-depth simulations or anything like that. If you feel like something needs to be adjusted for balance, then please bring it up, and we'll talk mathematics.

That concludes the suggestion. It may be a little late for 1.3, but this is a change, albeit a major one, that could add a whole lot more dimensions to Terrarian combat. So please consider it carefully!

now to think of an appropriate punishment for anyone who brings up the time I posted this thread on accident

Last edited:
Put away those Captain Picard facepalm images, because this thread probably isn't what you think it is... but you're here viewing this thread anyways, so I'm going to guess that either the controversial-sounding title did its job, you're watching this subforum (as you dang well should be), or you saw me fat-fingering and posting this thread by mistake a while ago. i don't really want to talk about it okay

But technically, yes, I am proposing the removal of endgame armor set bonuses. A set bonus is defined as a special bonus that activates only when three armor pieces of the same set are worn. Replace one piece, and the entire thing is gone.

That takes away a lot of creative freedom when it comes to armor sets! Mixing and matching endgame armors is almost unheard of, except in PvP situations in which the Spectre set bonus never activates anyways so you're better off wearing the Chlorophyte Headgear for a little bit more raw damage.

So this is a new system that I've devised, and I'm aware that it introduces some big changes. Rest assured that the full set bonuses will be untouched for the most part. One or two might be buffed a bit, but those are the ones I think are currently underpowered anyways.

The basic idea is that wearing an incomplete set of armor will grant an incomplete set bonus. This allows players to put a bit more thought into their armor configuration; suddenly, combinations of different armor sets are no longer objectively inferior to completed sets! If you think gaining a weaker version of the Chlorophyte leaf crystal is worth a percentage loss to Spectre lifesteal, then swap out the Spectre Pants for Chlorophyte Greaves. Loads more possibilities than there were before.

(stand by while I figure out how this table thing works)

Palladium_armor.png
Palladium | Striking an enemy grants Rapid Healing at a 60% healing rate for 3 seconds | 80% rate for 4 seconds | 100% rate for 5 seconds
Orichalcum_armor.png
Orichalcum (buffed) | Striking an enemy causes a petal to fly across the screen | 2 petals fly across the screen at different angles (due to pierce mechanics, they cannot strike the same enemy twice) | 3 petals fly across the screen
Titanium_armor.png
Titanium | Striking an enemy grants Shadow Dodge with 40 second duration/cooldown | 30 second duration/cooldown | 20 second duration/cooldown
Chlorophyte_armor.png
Chlorophyte | Summons a leaf crystal with 24 base damage | 32 base damage | 40 base damage
Turtle_armor.png
Turtle (buffed) | Returns 80% damage to attacker | Returns 130% damage to attacker | Returns 200% damage to attacker*
Shroomite_armor.png
Shroomite | Stealth increases ranged damage and crit, maxes out at 15% damage and 5% crit | Maxes out at 30% damage and 8% crit | Maxes out at 45% damage and 10% crit
View attachment 52853 Spectre (Mask) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a damaging wisp | 80% chance to create damaging wisp | 100% chance to create damaging wisp
View attachment 52852 Spectre (Hood) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a healing wisp | 80% chance to create healing wisp | 100% chance to create healing wisp
View attachment 52856 Beetle (Scale Mail) | Beetle Might maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
View attachment 52857 Beetle (Shell) | Beetle Endurance maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
*I know what you're going to say. DON'T EVEN SAY IT. The dodge effect granted by the Shadow Dodge buff or Black Belt will no longer trigger the Star Cloak, Honey Comb, Panic Necklace, Turtle Armor (and hypothetical Mythril, see below) set bonus, or Thorns buff.

Just to prove that we can keep doing this for any set bonuses we introduce in the future, I'll extend this to some purely hypothetical armor set bonuses of my own invention. Most of them have been listed here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/cobalt-mythril-adamantite-brainstorming-thread.1734/

Cobalt_armor_Hat.png
Cobalt_armor_Helmet.png
Cobalt_armor_Mask.png
Cobalt | Increases damage, movement speed, and defense in proportion to damage output of nearby enemies. Capped at +10% damage and movement, and +10 defense. | Capped at +15% damage and movement, and +15 defense. | Capped at +20% damage and movement, and +20 defense.
Mythril_armor_Hood.png
Mythril_armor_Helmet.png
Mythril_armor_Hat.png
Mythril | Enemies that hurt the wearer have defense reduced by half for 2 seconds. | Defense reduced by 75% for 4 seconds. | Defense reduced to zero for 6 seconds.
Adamantite_armor.png
Adamantite | Picking up a heart grants the Resolve buff. Resolve grants +6% damage and +6 defense for 6 seconds. | Resolve grants +8% damage and +8 defense. for 8 seconds. | Resolve grants +10% damage and +10 defense for 10 seconds.|
Hallowed_armor_Mask.png
Hallowed (Mask) | In proportion to how much health the wearer has lost, increases melee damage and speed by up to 10%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 15%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 20%.
Hallowed_armor_Helmet.png
Hallowed (Helmet) | In proportion to the distance to the target, ranged damage and critical strike chance are increased by up to 10% damage, 6% crit. | Increased by up to 15% damage, 8% crit. | Increased by up to 20% damage, 10% crit.
Hallowed_armor_Headgear.png
Hallowed (Headgear) | As long as the wearer avoids taking damage, magic damage and critical strike chance increase by up to 8%. | Increased by up to 14%. | Increased by up to 20%.
Frost_armor_male.png
Frost | Melee and ranged damage leave behind stationary ice crystals that deal 60% damage and last for 4 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 80% damage and last for 7 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 100% damage and last for 10 seconds.
The Frost Armor set bonus probably demands some explanation. As almost everyone knows, the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets are confirmed for 1.3, and the reason why people are not enthusiastic about it is because Frostburn can already be reliably inflicted by anyone wearing Frost Armor. If we make it so Frost Armor does something else, then the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets might find a niche. I didn't consider this change major enough to include in its own thread (my standards are too high nowadays), but it deserves to be mentioned here.

Oh, and a reminder: I did all the balancing and statistics with my gut. I have a pretty sensible gut, and it's right more often than not, but don't go around thinking that I've done in-depth simulations or anything like that. If you feel like something needs to be adjusted for balance, then please bring it up, and we'll talk mathematics.

That concludes the suggestion. It may be a little late for 1.3, but this is a change, albeit a major one, that could add a whole lot more dimensions to Terrarian combat. So please consider it carefully!

now to think of an appropriate punishment for anyone who brings up the time I posted this thread on accident
Reading through this thread briefly, I approve of some of the changes. Not all, might I add. These values don't really particularly matter to me and I will continue to play on if these are adapted. I think you must ponder immensely on your suggestions, dedication levels intensified. So, yay--Can't be bothered to find my support biscuit rn... So...

Also, unsure if this is an adaption of your last thread about this... Or a continuation. Perhaps more multi-segmented suggestions can be explored in the future.

Interesting idea and would gives people a ton of customization options.
I think single pieces should have a much lower bonus, but that'd be up to poor Red, who'd work overtime to implement this.
I like it.

5stars.gif

This is cheating IMO. Think about it.
Mixing 2-3 buffs at once with 3 different armor.
Shroomite + Beetle + Spectre Hood = Defense + Stealth + Other buffs

Well, either way +1 support.

Yeah, I've always thoigt set bonuses to be a bit restricting. With this, wed be able to see viable multi class setups. Which would be awesome.

Melee users will be so OP, it'll crash Terraria. Because:
Legendary Horse Blade + Slime statues + Wires + 1-sec timer + Wiring infinity stuff +Orichalcum +Chlorophyte +Frost = So many projectil- [Error 404 Terraria crash please have a life]

Turtle + Palladium + Mythril + Vamp Knives + Ichor Flask would be even more OP than the old Spectre helmet. You'd essentially be in god mode.

I like the idea, but it'd be highly unfeasible just due to how much you could stack to unbalance the game.

I don't agree with the way you handle the bonuses. Let's say 1 piece of armor gives you 10% more something. 2 pieces should be 20% more of that something, and 3 should be 40% (30 + set bonus). Your current model gives no reason to use pure armor sets any longer, because mixes would always be more effective (cobalt + shroomite for example is overall better than shroomite because of added mobility and little damage reduction). There needs to be a set bonus to balance that.
Also palladium + spectre. The mix is more versatile than both full set versions. Mythril + Turtle also drastically increases the thorn effect while making other attacks more effective.

The Mythril bonus wouldn't affect bosses, right? Because 0 defense on the Destroyer would make a Vilethorn a viable Mech-tier weapon (Not that it shouln't be. Vilethron is love, Vilethorn is life.). I like this idea, and it is original, which is always a bonus. Geddit. I think that there probably should be a slightly larger gap between 2 pieces and the full set bonus, but I acknowledge that some sets may be difficult to balance out properly doing so (Orichalcum, Beetle).
That's my 2 cents, and I'm equipping them with a penny to get a ooler set bonus.

Wow I never would have thought of partial set bonuses, that's such a cool idea. From what i could see I would say I support.

Ah son of a :red:, tables don't work properly on my phone, I can only see 2/3 of the suggestion.

Edit: Found a solution. Disregard that side note.

This is cheating IMO. Think about it.
Mixing 2-3 buffs at once with 3 different armor.
Shroomite + Beetle + Spectre Hood = Defense + Stealth + Other buffs
Turtle + Palladium + Mythril
cobalt + shroomite for example is overall better than shroomite because of added mobility and little damage reduction
Remember that equipping one piece isn't the same as equipping three! The set bonuses are weaker.

If you combine Shroomite, Beetle, and Spectre, you get smaller bonuses to damage of each class. Shroomite gives you a little bit of stealth and a little bit of ranged damage, Beetle gives you a little bit of damage protection, and Spectre gives you a little bit of lifesteal. When you wear the Spectre Hood with armor that provides no magic damage bonuses, the lifesteal is laughably weak.

Turtle+Palladium+Mythril: Remember that Palladium with only one piece gives less life regeneration, and Mythril only works against enemies that have actually hit the wearer. Furthermore, Palladium and Mythril armor pieces have inherently lower defense.

Cobalt+Shroomite: This is a bit more complicated. Suppose you're replacing the Shroomite Leggings with Cobalt Leggings. These are the changes:
-2% movement speed
-7% ranged critical strike chance
-9 defense
-15% damage and 2% crit during max stealth

For a tradeoff of +10 defense, +10% damage, and +10% movement speed only during highly dangerous situations like Moon events. The combination is otherwise outclassed.

But I don't have to make it so pure armor sets are better than combinations! After all, wasn't encouraging creativity the entire point? I don't know what the best combination is, but someone will find it; and wouldn't it be boring if it turned out to be three pieces from the same set?

The Mythril bonus wouldn't affect bosses, right? Because 0 defense on the Destroyer
In the original post where I elaborated on the Mythril set bonus, I stated that it would only affect the segment of the Destroyer that actually hit the player. The damage debuff is quite temporary, so I don't think I need to make bosses immune anyways.

Do you know what? From now on I'm going to make my armor suggestions with this system in mind. I will edit my current suggestions eventually to fit the system.

as for the punishment...actually I got no ideas. Maybe refusing to help them for a couple days?

But I don't have to make it so pure armor sets are better than combinations! After all, wasn't encouraging creativity the entire point? I don't know what the best combination is, but someone will find it; and wouldn't it be boring if it turned out to be three pieces from the same set?
It's encouraging creativity to have all combinations (including pure armor sets) to be viable. This is hard to achieve however.
My reply was highly inspired by my playing GemCraft : Chasing Shadows (on armorgames like all penniless peasants) where both pure and mixed gems fit their niche. If you have played some of that game, despite the awesome balance it has in most situations there are pieces of bull:red: which grant you free wins: Armor Tearing + Mana Leeching + Beam enhancement ruins any impression of challenge (it makes you invincible while making the monsters take 5 times as much damage). Pure gems in that game can only be used for their special powers which are not diluted at all, but their firepower is sloppy.
I wanted something like that in the suggestion, because there are many combos which fit pure armor sets' niches better than the pure armors.

I'm more interested in how you made the table than the contents to be honest. :) (I tried to make a table before, but had no luck.)

This could make for some really interesting metagaming. Straight off the top of my head, I'd like to try a Turtle + Titanium + Chlorophyte set. I normally wear full Turtle to return damage, but having an extra thing floating with me to attack enemies I would like.

Only concern is the Hallowed sets: if you're wearing Hallowed chestplate / leggings, what bonus (if any) is given?

No support, such a massive gameplay change seems unreasonable and pointless, especially since it almost removes the point of getting a full armor set and takes away the uniqueness of such sets. If I was to approve this thread at ALL though, the penalties for not a full set need to be MUCH more sever.

No support, such a massive gameplay change seems unreasonable and pointless, especially since it almost removes the point of getting a full armor set and takes away the uniqueness of such sets. If I was to approve this thread at ALL though, the penalties for not a full set need to be MUCH more sever.
Ironic because it is to give a sense of more uniqueness with the different armor sets. You now have a choice of what pieces to use and can create your own sets to an extent.

takes away the uniqueness of such sets
By that logic, introducing any changes at all would "take away the uniqueness" of whatever it is that already exists. Going to withhold support from a suggestion that creates hundreds of viable armor combinations instead of just barely a dozen? Maybe something about the thought of people who don't need the "absolute best" armor combinations handed to them on a silver platter doesn't sit well?

I mean, it was pretty much inevitable that I'd have to argue against you, but come on. All we're doing is buffing the never-used armor combinations; is that really that bad?

Back
Top Bottom