Weapons & Equip Rod of Discord UN-Nerf?

I'm actually pretty pleased with the Rod's current state. I think its original form was too potent, and I think its original nerf (1/5th health with 10 second cooldown) was too strict. Its not extremely punishing like it used to be. From full health, you can quick-teleport up to 8 times and not die (though it leaves you at single digit health). Going 3 teleports over doesn't even half kill you anymore, and I think 4 teleports in rapid succession is pretty potent.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the Rod's current state. I think its original form was too potent, and I think its original nerf (1/5th health with 10 second cooldown) was too strict. Its not extremely punishing like it used to be. From full health, you can quick-teleport up to 8 times and not die (though it leaves you at single digit health). Going 3 teleports over doesn't even half kill you anymore, and I think 4 teleports in rapid succession is pretty potent.
My main question is, too potent for WHAT?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. Thought up the ONE VALID problem with RoD spam on the way home: Minions.

With that in mind, I can finally agree RoD needs some kind of limitation. I'm still going to suggest my Chaos Overload thing, though, if only because it will let me pretend to be a Wizrobe for a bit before having to put it away for 10 seconds. lol

Last edited:
That is exactly what I mean, put the RoD in hotbar next to main weapon and use it to dodge the un-dodgeable attacks. I am currently running an idle farm that has worked for me in the past but I am getting no spawns. I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone have a suggestion to make a more efficient farm?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485340527
Is it even really possible to set up an idle farm for Chaos Elementals? They can kinda appear wherever the heck they want, yeah?

Anyway, I was a little exaggerating when I said the Rod of Discord is COMPLETELY useless. Yes, you can use it to dodge the one attack.

The point I really want to drive at, though, is how does ADDITIONAL USAGE of the Rod of Discord provide MORE of an advantage?

How does spamming it 3 or 5 times in a row make you better than the guy who just uses it once every six seconds? The issue here is the fact that you have to highlight the Rod of Discord, so any time you're using it is time you're not using delivering damage to the enemy. So you can warp about all you want and all you're doing is wasting time. Especially if the one use was enough.

I did mention in my previous post that Minions do defeat that argument. But that just means only dedicated summoners are overpowered with RoD spam. Everyone else is still just blinking about like an idiot for no reason.

Is it even really possible to set up an idle farm for Chaos Elementals? They can kinda appear wherever the heck they want, yeah?
The issue here is the fact that you have to highlight the Rod of Discord, so any time you're using it is time you're not using delivering damage to the enemy. So you can warp about all you want and all you're doing is wasting time. Especially if the one use was enough.
True for single player, but with two players one could be melee blinking around like a cave bat on a laggy server spamming vampire knives with ichor flask and the other could do massive ranged damage to the boss while in stealth. Obviously that video shows it is possible with practice to teleport and go back to shooting in a split second. And yes, I do think that it would be nice to teleport with a hotkey but to me you would still have to stop dealing damage for that half second unless you wanted to teleport directly behind the boss. It is true though that the way the RoD works now, especially in expert mode where bosses do hundreds of damage in one hit, that it is sometimes better to use the RoD multiple times and take the damage than take a hit from the boss.
It is possible to set up an idle farm, my problem was that there were too many other nearby biomes so I was getting things from the jungle, mushroom, granite ect. I had it running for over 6 hours and only got 55 kills of the mob I wanted. I am going to start filling / replacing an area of 160 x 88 with all pearlstone or pearlsand with no holes. The trick is to set up a minimum sized room with a bed directly above a spawning room at just the right height in case mimics spawn, I saw one guy used teleporters to bring most walking mobs to a killbox and killed the rest with lava and dart traps.

True for single player, but with two players one could be melee blinking around like a cave bat on a laggy server spamming vampire knives with ichor flask and the other could do massive ranged damage to the boss while in stealth. Obviously that video shows it is possible with practice to teleport and go back to shooting in a split second. And yes, I do think that it would be nice to teleport with a hotkey but to me you would still have to stop dealing damage for that half second unless you wanted to teleport directly behind the boss. It is true though that the way the RoD works now, especially in expert mode where bosses do hundreds of damage in one hit, that it is sometimes better to use the RoD multiple times and take the damage than take a hit from the boss.
The main point I was trying to drive at was the whole "spamming it doesn't actually make it overpowered" bit, although being able to put it on a hotkey would still be neat.

And yeah Expert Mode is pretty awful. When I fought the Moon Lord, though, I preferred to just take advantage of the dash function in my Master Ninja Gear, instead of trying any teleporter tricks.

Turns out a good way to dodge the beam is to keep away but not keep TOO far away. It's easier to circle around his head to avoid the beam if you can get back in close to his face for just a moment.

It is possible to set up an idle farm, my problem was that there were too many other nearby biomes so I was getting things from the jungle, mushroom, granite ect. I had it running for over 6 hours and only got 55 kills of the mob I wanted. I am going to start filling / replacing an area of 160 x 88 with all pearlstone or pearlsand with no holes. The trick is to set up a minimum sized room with a bed directly above a spawning room at just the right height in case mimics spawn, I saw one guy used teleporters to bring most walking mobs to a killbox and killed the rest with lava and dart traps.
When I farmed for MY Rod of Discord I was in an underground ice cavern that had been hallow-ized. Actually got a good spawnrate of chaos elementals just sitting there in the cave. So maybe try a hallow ice cave?

My main question is, too potent for WHAT?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. Thought up the ONE VALID problem with RoD spam on the way home: Minions.

With that in mind, I can finally agree RoD needs some kind of limitation. I'm still going to suggest my Chaos Overload thing, though, if only because it will let me pretend to be a Wizrobe for a bit before having to put it away for 10 seconds. lol

When I say too potent, what I mean is that unlimited telespam at all times without cooldown or penalty, as a rare drop (extremely) from an early Hardmode enemy, really does just seem to useful for what it is. RoD is still one of the most useful items in the game, hands down, if only for exploration, and can make getting around the world insanely fast. I will note that I judge the Rod of Discord primarily as a world exploration/transport item, rather than a combat tool. I was never one to use it a ton during battles, and the way it let me travel back in 1.2's original release? It definitely ENTIRELY redefined the mining and surface travel experience. It trivialized it. And I don't think that's a good thing to be doing pre-Mech, or even pre-Cultist.

So, I suppose if you were to propose a Moonlord drop tier Rod of Discord (Call it . . . Rod of Order. Crafted with a RoD and Lunar Bars!), I would see it as being a justified item "free of any cooldown", but in its current tier within the game, I think its a fantastic item. Call it . . . Rod of Order.

When I say too potent, what I mean is that unlimited telespam at all times without cooldown or penalty, as a rare drop (extremely) from an early Hardmode enemy, really does just seem to useful for what it is. RoD is still one of the most useful items in the game, hands down, if only for exploration, and can make getting around the world insanely fast.
I honestly, sincerely cannot agree with that. While it's true the Rod drops from a somewhat common enemy that is readily available the minute Hardmode begins, it is simply too rare to justify this nerf in my eyes. MUCH too rare.

I didn't use one of those idle farms so I had to stand around in the hallow like some kind of grimey legit player and kill Chaos Elementals in the tunnels with my bare hands. I didn't get mine until two weeks later. I'm sure you can understand I was quite a bit outraged when the nerf happened just a few days later.

On top of that, I really don't see any of it's exploration applications as "overpowered" or "too good" (especially because of that freakin' drop rate). I cried blood, I sweated tears and I bled sweat to find this thing. You'd better BELIEVE I wanted to be able to warp freely from tunnel to tunnel and zoom across the map at impressive speeds. You better believe I wanted the ability to give my pickaxe a rest and never have to dig manmade tunnels to get from point A to point B just 10 blocks away. You better BELIEVE I wanted the ability to not have to clutter my inventory with piles of stone and dirt and mud I'll never really use.

YOU BETTER BELIIIEEEVE I WANTED TO RUB THAT ROD RIGHT UP UNDER MY FRIENDS NOSES AND JUST BE ALL "HEY I'M OVER HERE. NOW I'M OVER HERE. NOW I'M OVER HERE! HEY, CAN YOU DO THIS? NO YOU CAN'T BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SWEAT TEARS AND BLEED SWEAT AND CRY BLOOD LIKE I DID NO SIR."

I might be just the tiniest bit of a jackass, but that's okay. lol

Last edited:
Wouldn't an upgrade, as leinfors said, made from the RoD and some fragments (and luminite bars) be enough, without the penalty?
Honestly that actually would be pretty great, too. I was thinking about adding it to the original post. Has it already been suggested, though?

Honestly that actually would be pretty great, too. I was thinking about adding it to the original post. Has it already been suggested, though?
A quick search reveals that there apparently is in fact, a suggestion for an unnerfed rod of discord. However, to get that is linked to a modified hell biome...instead of lunar materials.

That is exactly what I mean, put the RoD in hotbar next to main weapon and use it to dodge the un-dodgeable attacks. I am currently running an idle farm that has worked for me in the past but I am getting no spawns. I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone have a suggestion to make a more efficient farm?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485340527
I'm just the kind of person that likes to sit for hours in order to get items, without using farms. So I really got no tips for you, other than that you should put yourself through the pain of active grinding xD
[DOUBLEPOST=1437489152,1437488984][/DOUBLEPOST]
I honestly, sincerely cannot agree with that. While it's true the Rod drops from a somewhat common enemy that is readily available the minute Hardmode begins, it is simply too rare to justify this nerf in my eyes. MUCH too rare.

I didn't use one of those idle farms so I had to stand around in the hallow like some kind of grimey legit player and kill Chaos Elementals in the tunnels with my bare hands. I didn't get mine until two weeks later. I'm sure you can understand I was quite a bit outraged when the nerf happened just a few days later.

On top of that, I really don't see any of it's exploration applications as "overpowered" or "too good" (especially because of that freakin' drop rate). I cried blood, I sweated tears and I bled sweat to find this thing. You'd better BELIEVE I wanted to be able to warp freely from tunnel to tunnel and zoom across the map at impressive speeds. You better believe I wanted the ability to give my pickaxe a rest and never have to dig manmade tunnels to get from point A to point B just 10 blocks away. You better BELIEVE I wanted the ability to not have to clutter my inventory with piles of stone and dirt and mud I'll never really use.

YOU BETTER BELIIIEEEVE I WANTED TO RUB THAT ROD RIGHT UP UNDER MY FRIENDS NOSES AND JUST BE ALL "HEY I'M OVER HERE. NOW I'M OVER HERE. NOW I'M OVER HERE! HEY, CAN YOU DO THIS? NO YOU CAN'T BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SWEAT TEARS AND BLEED SWEET AND CRY BLOOD LIKE I DID NO SIR."

I might be just the tiniest bit of a jackass, but that's okay. lol
Agreed, to the fullest extent of my ability of agreeing.

The main application of the Rod of Discord is to teleport into places that you can't get to easily. It's very convenient for exploring caves and the Dungeon and Jungle Temple. It was never meant as a way to travel across the map in a matter of seconds, as hinted by the added cooldown nerf. Besides you can still use it multiple times in a row, it's just going to cost you health.

I have fought to get the Rod of Discord an unnerfed version later in the game.
I even asked Cenx, at which point she responded with a vague comment that she'd see what she could do about it. But I'm not sure she even remembers that.

Here's the deal.

Is the RoD overpowered for mining?
No, it's vastly slower than the shroomite digging claws, and even if it wasn't, mining goes fast nowadays.
WIth potions, the claws can dig faster than you fall. I don't think anyone would disagree here, that for mining, the RoD is not overpowered. It can't even dig to begin with.
Its only advantage is to get somewhere without blasting through. It's a preservation of nature tool.

Is the RoD overpowered for PvP?
No, these things are available to anyone who truly cares for them. Blood and sweat should reward itself, and there's nothing cooler than a fight with teleporting mages.
And if you truly don't like the idea of players teleporting, other things that could be considered OP have usually been either nerfed or disabled specifically in PvP, such as homing bullets. So give the RoD a debuff that disables attacking for 2 seconds, or something, while in PvP mode.

Is the RoD overpowered for bosses?
Not if you obtain it after defeating them. But instead of doing something that terrible and making the player feel "too late, I finished the game, no need for it", like with the Portal Gun, how about a different approach?
If you've done something equivalent to defeating the hardest boss without it in order to obtain it, that should be fair, right?

Or just make bosses/mobs enrage when RoD's in your hotbar. That way, difficulty scales.

If you truly have to nerf RoD, the RoD causes a debuff called "Discord's Touch", detailed in the spoiler.

This debuff will cause one of the following effects, depending on either Relogic's preferences, or simply is random per RoD:

1. While RoD is in hotbar, All enemies move at 170% speed and deal 170% damage
  2. Using the RoD causes a 2-second debuff where your weapons do only 20% damage.
  3. Using the RoD causes a 2-second debuff where NO WEAPONS CAN BE USED AT ALL.
  4. While RoD's in hotbar, all speed accessories/bonuses of any kind are ineffective (E.g Lightning boots), and your walking speed is decreased by 20%
  5. RoD usage causes 6-second debuff where invincibility time is reduced to 0.3 seconds. You better not get hit.
  6. All accessories are ineffective while RoD is *selected* on the hotbar.
  7. While RoD is selected, fall damage is enabled, and twice as high as when petrified. In other words, think before you teleport. (Falling speed is normal)
  8. While RoD is selected, fall speed is increased, causing the above fall damage principle to apply
  9. Rod of Discord in hotbar causes enemy spawn rates to quadruple for 15 seconds, and drop rates to decrease by 1/4 correspondingly.
  10. RoD usage causes 5-second debuff where all weapons have a 3% chance to recoil once and hit you for 2.5x damage instead
  11. RoD usage causes a 6-second debuff where you take 2.5x damage from any source

I personally think some of these nerfs are unfair, but they are all better than the current one.

I truly want an unnerfed True Rod of Discord", though. I just want it to be a :red: to obtain. And I want the possibility of obtaining it early, so I can play around with it before I'm done with the game and no longer need it for anything anyway.
If I'm skilled enough to prove that I could rule the game anyway, shouldn't I be able to play around with this?

Just nerf the RoD specifically for Multiplayer, and potentially bosses. Give it a 2-second debuff in Multiplayer that prevents attacking.

Make the unnerfed RoD obtainable in Expert Mode. To get the RoD, you have to complete an "Yrimir-level" challenge. E.g if you're not already skilled enough to deal with the game completely fine, you're not gonna have an RoD change that. RoD becomes complementary, not odds-changing.

Maybe you should have a taste of your own medicine. Find and defeat a "Discord Elemental", a mob you can spawn that fires Ichor at you and teleports instantly after each time it fires - or alternatively, whenever you attack. In other words, an :red: that teleports quickly and never lets you hit it.

The Discord Elemental will scale with your health and defense, as well as the most powerful weapon in your inventory for damage.
You can take it on at any level - but you're likely to get murdered just as hard either way.

This also proves that you're capable of disposing of someone that would abuse the RoD against you even more unfairly than a player. PvP shouldn't be a problem at this point, and you've proven that the RoD is not what wins a battle.

The Discord Elemental will scale with your health and defense, as well as the most powerful weapon in your inventory for damage.
You can take it on at any level - but you're likely to get murdered just as hard either way.
I'm confused now. Does it appear commonly, or as rare as finding a strange plant or nymph?

Back
Top Bottom