Biomes & Nature Sandstorms Instead of Rain in Desert Biomes!

What do you think? It will be good or just messy?

• Yes! This is awesome!

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • Ummm, may be

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • There's no reason for sandstorms, we're fine with rain.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • This is a terrible mess!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SteveisNoob

Pixel Pirate
Deserts are dry places, normally. But, in Terraria, there's raining in deserts, and i think it doesn't make any sense. So, I thougth there can be sandstorms in deserts while raining in other biomes.(Similar to Blizzards) OK, what will be happen while a sandstorm happening?
  • There's sand particles in mid-air, they're horizontaly moving to create a stormy look.
  • Light vision cut in half.
  • All desert enemies gain +%50 movement speed.
  • Sand blocks spawns somewhere on-screen with a speed of 5 blocks per minute.(Also despawns with the same speed)
  • The spawned sand blocks have a %25 chance to be a Loose Sand block. These are act like normal sand, but don't reset sloped blocks and drop nothing when mined.(Thanks to @stormconure for the idea!)
  • The loose sand also disappears after an in-game day, unless another sandstorm(rain) starts. (Thanks @shobiwan77 to suggesting!)
  • Mummy Vultures will spawn in hardmode, they have 1000 health, 100 damage and 35 defense. They act like Antlion Swarmers and can drop Antlion Mandibles. Also they have a %25 chance of dropping a Cloudy Sand, with 5 of them and 20 Souls of Flight you can make Sand Wings. It is equal to Frozen Wings.(Needs sprites for mob and item!)
  • With a Cloudy Sand and and a bottle you can craft a Sandstorm in a Bottle. (Thanks to @Cyanogynist for the idea!)
  • On surface there's no Antlions and on underground they have greatly increased spawn chance.
  • Waterleaf WON'T be affected by sandstorm and WILL bloom NORMALLY.(Thanks @Agastya to remembering me to add this detail!)
This is my idea for making deserts more realistic. If you have any ideas to improve it please help me improving it! Thank you to all your ideas!

Last edited:
I like where this is headed, but I have one simple suggestion: the sand that spawns and despawns should be an entirely different block, maybe something called "Loose Sand"? It would act exactly like normal sand, but when broken it wouldn't drop anything.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is so that these storms don't greatly deform your desert; having it interact with normal sand could screw with builds and stuff, possibly. Come to think of it, Antlions should also spit this loose sand rather than real sand blocks... But that's another topic entirely ;)

I like where this is headed, but I have one simple suggestion: the sand that spawns and despawns should be an entirely different block, maybe something called "Loose Sand"? It would act exactly like normal sand, but when broken it wouldn't drop anything.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is so that these storms don't greatly deform your desert; having it interact with normal sand could screw with builds and stuff, possibly. Come to think of it, Antlions should also spit this loose sand rather than real sand blocks... But that's another topic entirely ;)
It can be possible, but I think this can be a good challange to dealt with. Also, the speed is slow(at least I think). But, the spawned sand can have chance to be that Loose Sand block. I'm adding this to suggestion, thank you!

What happens to Waterleaf? It naturally spawns on sand blocks and only blooms when it rains. The two largest sand sources are deserts and the ocean. Should players only be able to get their initial seeds from the ocean?

While the player could just take some sand out of the desert and make a small strip for waterleaf to naturally seed, or just get seeds from an herb back, it's still kind of inconvenient.

What happens to Waterleaf? It naturally spawns on sand blocks and only blooms when it rains. The two largest sand sources are deserts and the ocean. Should players only be able to get their initial seeds from the ocean?

While the player could just take some sand out of the desert and make a small strip for waterleaf to naturally seed, or just get seeds from an herb back, it's still kind of inconvenient.
Waterleaf won't be affected by sandstorm, it will bloom as normal.

This would be very interesting to see. It does seem slightly unnatural when it Rains in the Desert (Even though it is possible in real life rarely). Like how this Sandstorm would make Desert Enemies harder in particular.

This has my Support.

1. Sandstorm in a Bottle should be crafted using some Cloudy Sand and a bottle.
That's interesting, the Cloudy Sand is a hardmode drop, but I think it would be helpful for people who looking to craft a Bundle of Balloons. And, maybe, there can be other uses for Cloudy Sand.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

yes. make a mob/monster (idek so I'm using the mc term). like a sand parasite or something...
and it is the size of a truffle worm
and it does 3 damage but does poison damage for 10 ticks.
armor negates the 3 but 10 is unavoidable. they have a mere 20 hp and are a semi rare spawn.
you can net them and use them as bait with a 50+% fishing power.
and also increase the chance of a crate while fishing with them.
idk if its a good idea but just putting it out there

yes. make a mob/monster (idek so I'm using the mc term). like a sand parasite or something...
and it is the size of a truffle worm
and it does 3 damage but does poison damage for 10 ticks.
armor negates the 3 but 10 is unavoidable. they have a mere 20 hp and are a semi rare spawn.
you can net them and use them as bait with a 50+% fishing power.
and also increase the chance of a crate while fishing with them.
idk if its a good idea but just putting it out there
An enemy critter? Also usable as bait? I'm not sure about it, but may be I can make something similar with it, but I think it should be pre-hardmode and less powerful.

Back
Top Bottom