NPCs & Enemies Skeletron Prime Improvements - Gadgets and Changes

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Just my suggestions for making Skeletron Prime a better, less clumsy, and more intimidating boss.

Skeletron Prime Spinnin.png
First of all, his headspin charge attack during Rage Mode is extremely pathetic. He moves so slow that instead of being an actual threat, it just opens him up to attack and disables his ability to dodge, which I find to be a pretty lousy boss behavior. What I propose is that the movement speed during this attack to be doubled. It would still be easy to dodge, but at least he wouldn't look as worthless when he's charging at you.

Prime Cannon.png
Next up is a complete makeover of the Prime Cannon. This poor guy has severe effectiveness issues. Its bombs can only deal damage if the player happens to be standing on solid ground, because it's grenades don't even deal contact damage. Nope, the only way this is of any threat is if you happen to be on the ground when one happens to land on your exact location. It doesn't even detonate on platforms. It's extremely pathetic.

My proposed changes are to allow the Prime Cannon's bombs to deal damage on contact with the player (duh) and allow them to bounce once before detonating as well. Instead of exploding on impact with terrain, they will explode a full second after bouncing. Additionally, they will have a 50% chance to bounce off of Platforms, so players can neither hide under nor on them to avoid damage.

One last thing: The Cannon should have an additional attack that it will occasionally use instead of the usual bombs: Mines. Every once in a while, when Prime is not in his spinning Rage mode, the Cannon will fire a special flashing spiked ball that will linger and deal damage to players that touch it, much like the spike ball mines used by Plantera and Santa-NK1, except smaller and less damaging. These will bounce 4 times on platforms before dropping though, and will linger for about 20 seconds before disappearing.

index.php
Next up is a series of additional armaments and gadgets that Skeletron Prime would be able to spawn with. Instead of always having the same old Vice, Saw, Laser, and Cannon combo, each arm would have an alternate appendage that it can be equipped with. This is just a handful of ideas I had, and I feel like posting them here to see what you guys think.

I'll post the original appendages before their alts for reference.

Also, take notice of the new and improved Skeletron Prime sprite contributed by @Brutallama. Rejoice! And it doesn't stop there, he even went through and redid not just the original four, but also the four alternate appendages that I suggested here in this thread. You can see both the original style and Brutallama's improvements in the images below.

Click here to like Brutallama's post! And click here to support his sprite thread!

(Oh, and before I forget, Prime's appendages should have a 50% chance drop 1-2 Hearts when destroyed, and the Twins should likewise drop 1-3 Hearts when the first one is killed. Destroyer is the only boss which drops Hearts during the fight.)

Prime Vice.png

index.php

Prime Vice
Health: 9000
Defense: 34
Damage: 52

Alternate:

Prime Mace.png

index.php

Prime Mace
Health: 10000
Defense: 40
Damage: 48
Like the Prime Vice, except slightly slower and much sturdier. Less of a threat overall, but harder to get rid of.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prime Saw.png

index.php

Prime Saw

Health: 9000
Defense: 38
Damage: 56

Alternate:

Prime Blade.png

index.php

Prime Blade

Health: 8000
Defense: 32
Damage: 60
Lighter, and faster than the Saw. Trades durability for offensive power.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prime Laser.png

index.php

Prime Laser

Health: 6000
Defense: 20
Ranged Damage: 25
Contact Damage: 29
Fires lasers slowly. Somewhat accurate.
Fires more frequently during Rage.

Alternate:

Prime Machinegun.png

index.php

Prime Machinegun

Health: 6000
Defense: 23
Ranged Damage: 20
Contact damage: 24
Occasionally fires brief bursts of bullets. Inaccurate.
Fires constantly during Rage with a high rate of fire.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prime Cannon.png

index.php

Prime Cannon

Health: 7000
Defense: 23
Artillery Damage: 40
Mine Damage: 50
Contact Damage: 30
Occasionally fires bombs, and mines when nor in Rage.
Fires rapid volleys of artillery at the player during Rage.

Alternate:

Prime Enforcer.png

index.php

Prime Enforcer

Health: 7000
Defense: 20
Shotgun Damage: 24
Flame Damage: 36
Contact Damage: 30
Fires wide 5-shot spreads of shotgun fire.
Switches to a short-ranges flamethrower attack during Rage.

Flamethrower.png
Finally, Skeletron Prime needs more uses for its loot. Specifically, we need more items that have Souls of Fright in the recipe. Right now, all you can craft is a Flamethrower and Neptune's Shell. In previous threads, I have suggested a new summoner weapon, the Prime Staff, and a Prime Vice, a weaponized Prime-themed Grappling Hook. That's enough to catch Souls of Fright up to the other two Mech Bosses' Souls, but if they also get an expansion of drops, then I have a couple of backup items based on the new appendages I suggested above.

Weapon sprites by @Milt69466. Thank you!

index.php
(Thanks, Milt!)
The Enforcer
*Bullet-firing shotgun weapon.
*Fires a spread of 5 Bullets.
Damage: 26
Use Time: 37 (1.6 shots/second)
Knockback: 6.75
Recipe:
Shotgun.png
Shotgun
Illegal_Gun_Parts.png
Illegal Gun Parts
Soul_of_Fright.png
Souls of Fright (20)
A middle-ground between the Shotgun and the Tactical Shotgun.

index.php
(Thanks, Milt!)
Terror Blade
*Sword-type Melee weapon.
*Throws a short-ranged volley of spinning plasma skulls which linger and deal additional damage.
Damage: 30
Use Time: 25 (2.4 uses/second)
Recipe:
Adamantite_Bar.png
Adamantite or
Titanium_Bar.png
Titanium Bars (13)
Soul_of_Fright.png
Souls of Fright (20)

That's it for the suggestion. Feedback is always appreciated, so please comment! I hope this wasn't a waste of your time. :)

Attachments

• Skeletron Prime Updated.png
    Skeletron Prime Updated.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 9,437
Last edited:
This looks really good and well balanced! I love the sprites and the names of the new items and appendages; they're very creative! Keep up the great work and I hope to see more good suggestions in the future!

Sounds good! The prime cannon currently is super lame...

And....

I made you a thing:
Terror Blade.png

[Edit] And another thing:
Enforcer.png

Last edited:
Firstly, Prime arms and the Twins (the first death) do actually drop hearts, but it is just the default chance that is shared with common mobs. I might be wrong, but I swear I remember seeing a heart (definitely mana stars) dropping from them.

Secondly, I don't understand the point of alternative arms. Mechanical bosses are difficult to deal with for newcomers already, adding in unpredictability like this isn't going to make it better. I also don't think the arms having less health than their alternative justifies their higher damage, because I always fire just the head. Any arm deaths is completely collateral. I can't see much reason for wanting to waste time taking out the arms, because the time period for Prime is short enough as it is. I won't deny the creativity behind it, though.

If we're talking Expert Mode here, then I'm fine with the arms getting given just a straight upgrade (not just in stats I mean) instead of variation.

Thirdly, I don't know if you understand the Skeletron Prime's 'rage' enough. While Prime spinning its head is slow and useless, its arms also respond to this rage. I believe it is randomised, but the lasers/bombs fire faster, saw and vice charge towards you continuously (which often blocks your attacks towards its head). The head spin is somewhat redundant, I agree, but I'm fine with this 'rage' changing its arm's behaviour to a more aggressive state.

Finally, I do agree that the bomb arm is lacking. But I believe all it needs is being able to explode on contact with platforms as well as the Player. The bombs themselves are quite devastating in strength if you actually get hit.

Firstly, Prime arms and the Twins (the first death) do actually drop hearts, but it is just the default chance that is shared with common mobs. I might be wrong, but I swear I remember seeing a heart (definitely mana stars) dropping from them.
Well, yeah. So do Probes. Every once in a while you'll see one that drops two Hearts instead of one.
Secondly, I don't understand the point of alternative arms. Mechanical bosses are difficult to deal with for newcomers already, adding in unpredictability like this isn't going to make it better.
If they can't dodge one assortment of chaotic flying limbs and projectiles, they'll be just as helpless against another. :indifferent:
I also don't think the arms having less health than their alternative justifies their higher damage, because I always fire just the head. Any arm deaths is completely collateral. I can't see much reason for wanting to waste time taking out the arms, because the time period for Prime is short enough as it is.
Even if you focus on the head, you'll notice that the Arms start dropping away anyways. Whenever I fight Prime, almost (if not) all of the appendages are out by the end of the fight, even when I try and focus solely on his skull. More durable parts means that Prime carries his capability to deal damage further into the fight, and less durable parts means he's going to be crippled sooner than he normally does. That can be balanced with damage.
I won't deny the creativity behind it, though.
Thanks for that, at least. :)
If we're talking Expert Mode here, then I'm fine with the arms getting given just a straight upgrade (not just in stats I mean) instead of variation.
Or variation and stat upgrades. Why not?
Thirdly, I don't know if you understand the Skeletron Prime's 'rage' enough. While Prime spinning its head is slow and useless, its arms also respond to this rage. I believe it is randomised, but the lasers/bombs fire faster, saw and vice charge towards you continuously (which often blocks your attacks towards its head). The head spin is somewhat redundant, I agree, but I'm fine with this 'rage' changing its arm's behaviour to a more aggressive state.
Exactly. Everything in gets more dangerous in Rage mode except the spinning head of doom.

Even if you focus on the head, you'll notice that the Arms start dropping away anyways. Whenever I fight Prime, almost (if not) all of the appendages are out by the end of the fight, even when I try and focus solely on his skull. More durable parts means that Prime carries his capability to deal damage further into the fight, and less durable parts means he's going to be crippled sooner than he normally does. That can be balanced with damage.

That's odd. I usually only take one out, two if I am alternating between what side I'm shooting Prime at equally. Those are the melee arms, too, and usually get destroyed just before Prime itself is defeated.

Or variation and stat upgrades. Why not?

Uhh, erm...fine, you win.

Exactly. Everything in gets more dangerous in Rage mode except the spinning head of doom.

And I'm thinking that Prime's head charging would contradict with the melee arm charges, since they both would be doing the same thing however in two different places. Either buff up the Skull speed and change the arms to swing rapidly in 'rage', or just leave it as it is.

And I'm thinking that Prime's head charging would contradict with the melee arm charges, since they both would be doing the same thing however in two different places. Either buff up the Skull speed and change the arms to swing rapidly in 'rage', or just leave it as it is.
Vice does swing rapidly in Rage Mode. Only the Saw that hones in on the player's location. Besides, at the speed it currently goes, "doubled" is only a small increase anyways. It's more about being intimidating than actually making it deal damage.

I was making something for my own spriting thread, and then I saw this, so I added a few things to it... so, here :cool:
View attachment 19351
Thanks a lot! Definitely worthy of being included in the main post!

Fragmented the image into separate ones for use in the main post:
Prime Skeleton V2.png
Prime Axe V2.png
Prime Blade V2.png
Prime Cannon V2.png
Prime Enforcer V2.png
Prime Laser V2.png
Prime Machinegun V2.png
Prime Saw V2.png
Prime Vice V2.png

Anyways, the one thing you're missing is the the "Rage Mode" skull frame, where the spikes come out in the vanilla sprite.

Back
Top Bottom