Weapons & Equip Some sort of biome-affiliation gear...

DJFlare84

Mechanic
EDIT: This idea has been reworked and tweaked based on commentary below.

I've always thought it'd be neat if there was some way to "affiliate" yourself with specific biomes.

Being affiliated would cause that biome's specific mobs to no longer be aggressive towards you and unable to damage you (and maybe the reverse would also be true), as if you were their "ally". Could be VERY interesting if combined with zimberzimber's "When Biomes Clash" idea...

Current idea for method of affiliation is talking to the Dryad, who can align you to any biome (but only offers to align you to the evil biomes during Blood Moons).

Which biomes you can affiliate with depend on what other NPC's you have unlocked.

Dryad - At basic, can affiliate you with the Desert, Arctic or Evil Biomes.
Wizard - Required to unlock Hallow Biome affiliation.
Witch Doctor - Required to unlock Jungle Biome affiliation.
Truffle - Required to unlock Mushroom Biome affiliation.
Angler - Required to unlock Ocean Biome affiliation (once the Ocean has more content and can be affiliated with).

Last edited:
So you wear all the rings and just get endless streams of possessed armors?
Boring in my opinion, unless its in the of the end game loot section.
Why remove challenges? Why make things boring?

Also with my idea you could just walk over the biome and capture it with ease with your faction making things too easy.

Sorry, but I do not support this.

So you wear all the rings and just get endless streams of possessed armors?
Boring in my opinion, unless its in the of the end game loot section.
Why remove challenges? Why make things boring?

Also with my idea you could just walk over the biome and capture it with ease with your faction making things too easy.

Sorry, but I do not support this.
Probably should have specified you can only wear one at a time. Seemed like the obvious drawback but okay. lol

That is still too easy to over come, simply switch the ring you are wearing to the one that fits your current biome.
Now if you could craft only one ring per world, that would be more logical. (lol... Terraria and logic)

That is still too easy to over come, simply switch the ring you are wearing to the one that fits your current biome.
Now if you could craft only one ring per world, that would be more logical. (lol... Terraria and logic)
Logic? What? lol

I don't see the problem with letting people switch. Yeah, it trivializes the game for them, but so what?

I mean, I don't care of Johnny Dachsund wants to be a little b**** and make himself immune to all the mobs all the time (well at least until nightfall anyway). He's only making the game boring for himself.

But I can see your point, and I'd personally have no problem with being limited to one ring per world.

Might be simpler to only allow one ring in the inventory at any time, and make the rings unable to be placed in piggybanks and safes... This way you could collect the rings for the sake of completion, but still not be allowed to swap 'em on the fly like a wuss.

Logic? What? lol

I don't see the problem with letting people switch. Yeah, it trivializes the game for them, but so what?

I mean, I don't care of Johnny Dachsund wants to be a little b**** and make himself immune to all the mobs all the time (well at least until nightfall anyway). He's only making the game boring for himself.

But I can see your point, and I'd personally have no problem with being limited to one ring per world.

Might be simpler to only allow one ring in the inventory at any time, and make the rings unable to be placed in piggybanks and safes... This way you could collect the rings for the sake of completion, but still not be allowed to swap 'em on the fly like a wuss.
So you though of something appealing for yourself, that's a bad thing to do when it comes to suggestions...

I am still against this, sorry.

So you though of something appealing for yourself, that's a bad thing to do when it comes to suggestions...

I am still against this, sorry.
No worries. You don't have to like it.

I don't think my suggestion is "bad". Might be a bit unpolished. If you have any suggestions how to spruce it up I'm all ears.

No worries. You don't have to like it.

I don't think my suggestion is "bad". Might be a bit unpolished. If you have any suggestions how to spruce it up I'm all ears.
Well you should firstly add a way of obtaining it and maybe give it a debuff so it won't be 100% benefits.
Also this can also be something other then a ring, maybe an enchantment received my the wizard? That way you won't have to go and fiddle with item mechanics to limit the player with only one ring.

Well you should firstly add a way of obtaining it and maybe give it a debuff so it won't be 100% benefits.
Also this can also be something other then a ring, maybe an enchantment received my the wizard? That way you won't have to go and fiddle with item mechanics to limit the player with only one ring.
The original intention was to make the rings some kind of very hard to get craftable item in the endgame, but now that you mention it I really like your idea with the wizard. It would give the guy some more usefulness.

... really, though, it might be more appropriate to the Dryad, since she's more about the biomes, yeah?

As for debuff, I already have an idea for this. Being affiliated with one biome will make the other biomes more aggressive against you, so it's more dangerous to wander out into unaffiliated biomes. Maybe the mobs are stronger or simply spawn in greater numbers around you? Something to that effect.

Don't forget that rarity does not measure power and should never be considered when balancing anything.
I think the option should only be available when you have the wizard, the dryad and the witch doctor in your town to make things more reasonable, and to unlock the option you need to do something. Killing the Golem perhaps?
The debuff seems reasonable, giving you the water candle debuff could be enough. (or perhaps a stronger version of it)

only be available when you have the wizard, the dryad and the witch doctor in your town to make things more reasonable
This seems kind of redundant if anything, by the time you're in hardmode you would have had to have got the dryad moved in, and I would assume most people would have the witch doctor by then considering how easy the Queen Bee is.

Could be VERY interesting if combined with zimberzimber's "When Biomes Clash" idea...
In regards to this, it really doesnt seem a whole lot different to the When Biomes Clash idea, just a bit of an easier way to have one of the biomes not wana eat your delicious flesh every time you go into it.

This seems kind of redundant if anything, by the time you're in hardmode you would have had to have got the dryad moved in, and I would assume most people would have the witch doctor by then considering how easy the Queen Bee is.
True, but he said that it would fit the Dryad more, wile I think it would fit the three of them more.

Reactions: Elk
True, but he said that it would fit the Dryad more, wile I think it would fit the three of them more.
I can agree with that. I still PERSONALLY think the buff should be given by the Dryad, and perhaps she would only give the corruption/crimson buff during a blood moon (when she is selling the bad stuff), but I like the idea of requiring the other big magical NPC's first.

In regards to this, it really doesnt seem a whole lot different to the When Biomes Clash idea, just a bit of an easier way to have one of the biomes not wana eat your delicious flesh every time you go into it.
Eh, probably. But if I saw a Turtle fighting a Unicorn and I had Jungle affiliation, I could step in and save my turtle friend without hurting him or being hurt BY him.

Back
Top Bottom