Weapons & Equip Splintering Armor

LoveSpreader

Terrarian
My first armor suggestion, but we all know the dance and routine by now. :dryadsmile:
So without further ado, I present thee....

kdcROYP.png

Splintering Armor
Crafting: Iron/Lead Anvil
Helm: 24 Glass + 30 Crystal Shards, 14 Defense
Chestplate: 48 Glass + 60 Crystal Shards, 12 Defense
Leggings: 36 Glass + 45 Crystal Shards, 8 Defense
Total Defense: 34
Set Bonus: When hit, breaks off 2 crystal shards from the armor. The shards will deal 30 damage.

index.php
index.php

Sprites by @DerpoTheMagnificent

Now, I've put the defense between Mythril/Orichalcum armor. While it might be high for something available right after HM(if you are willing to brave the hallows), it is compensated by being an armor with no class distinction. Meaning your precious weapons will not have extra damage. The only damage bonus you will get is when you are hit, and this is doubly beneficial to all classes.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. :dryadhappy:

Last edited:
support but i think they should give damage to all classes 2% damage every piece because starters will have trouble killing enemies in hallow and because if they not farm sand before hardmode will be a nightmare and cobalt armor is dont quite ''good'' and some skipped nights edge or molten armor or jungle/meteor

It's not that hard to get 216 blocks of sand. 5~10 bombs can easily take care of that. As for the getting the shards, as long as you know how to manipulate blocks and learn how to avoid Chaos Elemental, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for it giving damage bonus, I was actually thinking of amping up the shard's damage to 25 or 30, and have them affected by +% damage from accessories and prefixes. It certainly sounds more attractive that way.

I rather like this idea. It's similar to what it can be interpreted that unaltered crystal shards would do (i.e. crystal bullets), and I think it nicely fills the currently empty "multiclass" niche, so there's definitely a place for it in the game :dryadhappy:

I don't really mind too much about the stats - if the developers implement it, the stats will likely change a bit for balancing reasons.

It could use a better name in my opinion though. Splintering armour is more like a description, while armour sets in Terraria are usually named after the material they're made from :dryadindifferent:

Last edited:
I rather like this idea.
Thank you. :dryadsmile:

I don't really mind too much about the stats - if the developers implement it, the stats will likely change a bit for balancing reasons
I know, but it'll give them an easier time if the stats are already decided in the first place... if they decide to take the idea under their wings, of course.

It could use a better name in my opinion though. Splintering armour is more like a description, while armour sets in Terraria are usually named after the material they're made from :dryadindifferent:
Well... I am open to suggestions, but I think the name fits already. A few odd ones here and there doesn't really matter. Besides, there is a precedence to not naming an armor after materials, so I am all good.

Last edited:
Sounds spiky and painful to wear, like cactus armor.

Anyway, support. It'd certainly be interesting, and early HM needs a classless armor. HM in general, really.

So this armor could deal serious damage, but you have to lose life in exchange.
I guess this could be a nice pre "turtle armor".
Technically, it would generate damage similar to the star cloak, probably as frequently too.

While I do agree that we have a visible lack of armor similar to the crimson armor, and thus need more like it, I don't think this armor has enough depth to fit in with its tier of armor, it looks really bland and plain compared to other hard mode gears, and would be totally replaceable by Orichalcum armor (doing similar things, but better).

While I do agree that we have a visible lack of armor similar to the crimson armor, and thus need more like it, I don't think this armor has enough depth to fit in with its tier of armor, it looks really bland and plain compared to other hard mode gears, and would be totally replaceable by Orichalcum armor (doing similar things, but better).
Getting to orichalcum forces you to go through the tiers(need cobalt pick first) somewhat. This can be obtained once you found an underground hallow. It also means orichalcum-tier is actually above this armor. Technically it's about on tier with cobalt/molten armor, in terms of availability.

Also, this armor deals damage upon being hit. The orichalcum deals extra damage upon hitting.

Its charm lies in the way for people to deal damage even if they are a bit careless(as you pointed out, like the star cloak), but without the need to rely on a somewhat random drop.

As for looking bland, I have to say the original 1.1 ores(cobalt, mythril and adamantite) are a lot more bland than this armor right now. They don't even give a nifty set bonus outside some stats boost.

Back
Top Bottom