Portfolio/Multi-Topic [Sprites] Bee Expansion

How did you like this suggestion?

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit

Turn off the lights! Raise the curtains! Release the bees! Because this is SnailsAttack's

index.php

kdcROYP.png

Let's jump right into this suggestion! I really think that bees have a lot of potential for fun and interesting gameplay, so I have come up with many new ways to incorporate brand new bee-related weapons and items into the game, while also improving certain pre-existing features!

Here is a list of issues that will be fixed with the implementation of my suggestion!

Lack of early summoner weapons
Lack of bee related ranger items
Queen bee RnG
Few uses for bee wax

kdcROYP.png

index.php

2-4
Bee_Wax.png

1-3
Bottled_Honey.png

0.4%

kdcROYP.png

This is a tree with a beehive in it. They spawn around the world in trees, and at world-gen there is a 3% chance that it will contain a beehive.

When the hive is broken with a pickaxe that has at least 40% pickaxe power (lead/iron or better), the hive will break, dropping 2-4 bee wax and 1-3 bottled honey(and 4% of a magic comb), and spawning 5-7 bees. If the tree is cut down, the bees will be released but the items won't drop from the hive. In terms of renewability, if there are less than 15 beehives in a world, a new one will appear in a randomly chosen tree each morning.

I'm sure some of you are questioning the fact that you can obtain bee wax before fighting the queen bee, but I have a solution for that later on.

But why add hives that drop bee wax early on without an early pre-hardmode use for them? And thus I present;

51557-7b9457f74247b17e1816060ba67582bd.jpg

The Bumble Bee Staff
6 Damage
Extremely Weak Knockback
21 Use Time
Bee_Wax.png
x15
Bottled_Honey.png
x5
Wood.png
x10

Summons a bumblebee that will home in on enemies and buzz around them, occasionally charging forward and running them through. It would work well with @Baconfry's proposal for a new system of summoner combat.

As well as that, I have also created 2 useful accessories for pre-hardmode and early hardmode.

51561-37dcec98527ea024cf334f2ad195d825.jpg

Magic conchComb

The magic comb will allow for one more minion, and increase minion damage and critical strike chance by 5%. It is a 1/20 drop chance from hives.

51558-423aecc327da665dcc99ed0bb2099348.jpg

Apimancer's Cloak

A tinker of the Bee Cloak and Magic Comb. It releases bees, allows for an extra minion, and increases minion damage and critical strike chance by 7%.
It also follows @Baconfry's new system for the honeycomb.

kdcROYP.png

So, the queen bee. She has the largest loot table of any boss in the game, and getting what weapon you want from her is no easy task. With that I have a few ideas that will patch my idea for beehives, and fix up the guh-ole RnG system a bit!

From now on, the queen will drop 1-3 royal jelly, which basically looks like a purple booger thanks to my spriting skills. Royal jelly is used with bee wax to craft the weapons that the queen bee usually drops. Here is a table for that below.

51556-74470a17187b0ec53b9a909e56e463fc.jpg
x2,
Bee_Wax.png
x20
Bee_Gun.png

x1,
Bee_Wax.png
x15
Honey_Comb.png

x2,
Bee_Wax.png
x16
Hive_Wand.png

x1,
Bee_Wax.png
x18
Bee_Keeper.png

The bee outfit, mask, trophy, honeyed googles, nectar, beenades and bottled honey will drop normally.

As well as that, the queen bee summoner items will also include 1 royal jelly each for their creation.

I've noticed that the "bee tier" is lacking in weapons for rangers. Melee gets the beekeeper, magic gets the bee gun, and summoner gets a whole armor set and minion. So, here is a new arrow brought in fresh from the apiaries, for eager, bee-hungry rangers.

CzNjm2o.png

Hive Arrow
8 Damage
3.45 Velocity
Very Weak Knockback
70% to break
Wooden_Arrow_Horizontal.png
x30
Hive.png
x3
Bee_Wax.png
x1

Releases 1-3 bees on impact. Makes 30.

Additionally, how about craftable beenades? It makes 3.
Beenade.png

Grenade.png
x3
Hive.png
x3
Bee_Wax.png
x1

As of right now, royal jelly is useless immediately after the bee tier. So I've decided it could work well to create a powerful healing item.

51559-b46c3deff273325baa10df4dd71921b4.jpg

Bottle of Nectar
Healing_Potion.png
x5
x1

Creates 5 Nectar bottles, each of which heal 125 health, a reasonable amount for pre-hardmode, but difficult to obtain in large numbers.

kdcROYP.png

I hope you can consider some of these ideas. I think that bees could easily be used in such ways to help fix problems with pre-hardmode, while also adding some interesting new gameplay mechanics. But this idea couldn't be made without the help of a few people.

@DerpoTheMagnificent for creating the bee hive sprite and the awesome 'Bee Expansion' sign.

@Lecic for allowing me to incorporate his entire suggestion into mine, including the sprite.

So please check out their profiles and suggestions!

If you think that anything needs to be changed, or have some new ideas for the suggestion as it is, please tell me! I want to make this suggestion as good as it can 'bee'!

Last edited:
Ah, so you finally finished this! Glad to see my little suggestion getting put to good use. You should include the Bee's Knees in this, also, considering how it's confirmed as a Queen Bee drop for 1.3.

Well, I don't know about this. Pink Gel is getting added and is introducing another early summoner item, bee tier is already expanded to bee it's own seperate tier, and I don't really like the royal jelly replacing QB drops. Takes away that sense of amazement from getting a lucky drop(l do not share this feeling with any extremely low drop rate drop, though. RoD, Uzi, ect.)

Ah, so you finally finished this! Glad to see my little suggestion getting put to good use. You should include the Bee's Knees in this, also, considering how it's confirmed as a Queen Bee drop for 1.3.

Wow. Didn't know that existed. Looks awesome from a video I watched. Anyways, I'd include it if it wasnt already bee-ing added.

I recommend linking to the thread "Honey Comb's Hardmode Problem" so the tinker with the bee cloak isn't something that ends up lowering your dps.

In any case I always wanted to attack with swarms of bees in the early game. I like this.

Nice to know the OP decided to ignore my criticisms of this suggestion. -_-
You can't just take praise, you also have to take criticism.

I completely agree. The Queen Bee shouldn't only just drop this material, and to be honest, I'm kind of fine with the way the Queen Bee drops work now.

Reactions: Azu

Well, I don't know about this. Pink Gel is getting added and is introducing another early summoner item, bee tier is already expanded to bee it's own seperate tier, and I don't really like the royal jelly replacing QB drops. Takes away that sense of amazement from getting a lucky drop(l do not share this feeling with any extremely low drop rate drop, though. RoD, Uzi, ect.)

The OP doesn't see anything to gain from your criticism that is, essentially, "I see 0 reason to add this," presumably because you didn't even offer anything constructive alongside it.

And on rare drops, I disagree. Grinding a boss repeatedly because you're unlucky is not fun or interesting. Plus, this gives a use to wax for non-summoners.

I decided to change my mind about this suggestion, after some thought. Honestly I love the bees and the bee puns are great, and this would do nothing but improve the early game. The only thing I do not really like is the whole Queen Bee dropping only a crafting material. I beelieve that this suggestion bee great.

I decided to change my mind about this suggestion, after some thought. Honestly I love the bees and the bee puns are great, and this would do nothing but improve the early game. The only thing I do not really like is the whole Queen Bee dropping only a crafting material. I beelieve that this suggestion bee great.

Thank you for your reconsideration! Also, I don't know whether or not your exaggerating, but the only weapons the queen bee doesn't drop now are the Bee Gun, Hive Wand, Honey Comb, and The Bee Keeper.

Back
Top Bottom