Blocks & Decoration [Sprites] Hell in Hardmode, my way

652Graystripe

Plantera
So hell is pathetic post-Hardmode. We all know that. Even after you beat the mechs, we have some bats and some easily dodged devil tridents. Whose weapon sucks, by the way. This is my way to fix it up a little and making it worthy of biome status.

Most of this happens post-(one) Mech, by the way, to keep with the current theme. It's damn hard too.

Many people have said the Underworld should have trees, and @Pinelord suggested it here to me. These trees grow in the Underworld near lava and have many Fireblossoms beneath their roots. They can only be chopped down with a Molten Hamaxe or better, giving a little incentive to get this tool. In place of Acorns, they drop Live Coals.

Live_Coal.png
12/24/18 Ashwood and 4/6/5 Live Coals can be used to craft Ember Armor and a few specialized weapons.

Ember Armor
*Helmet: 8 defense, +7% damage
*Breastplate: 10 defense, +11% critical strike chance
*Greaves: 9 defense, +6% movement speed, +5% damage
Set bonus: Inferno Potion effect

A classless set designed to be a little weaker than the ore armors. It's not very strong, but it can definitely give you a jumpstart on Hardmode.

Attention Getter (Flare Gun upgrade)
*43 ranged damage
*24 use time (Fast)
*3 Knockback (Weak)
Consumes Flares. Sets enemies on fire.

Coal Staff (Gem Staff upgrade)
Crafted with 20 Obsidian, 10 Live Coals and 10 Souls of Night in a Corruption world; consider it the Corruption alternate to the Meteor Staff
*45 magic damage
*4 knockback (weak)
*Consumes 8 mana per shot
*30 use time (Average)

Overheater (Charged Blaster Cannon downgrade)
Crafted with 20 Obsidian, 10 Live Coals and 10 Souls of Night in a Crimson world
*32 magic damage
*No knockback
*Consumes 4 mana per second while deployed
Takes 3 seconds to fully charge

Fire_Elemental.png
Fire Elemental
Common, but not as common as Lava Bats.
Flies along the ground, whirling and churning, and fires homing projectiles at you. They can be broken, though.
*200 HP
*15 Defense
*80 projectile damage
*65 melee damage

Drops 1-2 Thermite (100%)

74299-2158dae3bcc73ce7c7bd5ac0c7d239e9.jpg

Molten Explorer (sprite by @Terralexurio - thanks!)
About as common as Red Devils.
Runs around, firing at you with a Phoenix Blaster. Its bullets travel incredibly fast, so good luck dodging.
*350 HP
*40 Defense
*40 projectile damage
*60 melee damage

Drops 1-2 Thermite (100%), Fissure (4.5%)

Firerim Serpent
As common as Bone Serpents were before it. Follows Worm AI, but also spouts projectiles and creates a flame geyser when it hits the player. Pretty much a miniboss.
*5000 HP (shared)
*50 defense
*65 ranged power
*85 melee power

Drops Intraheat Plate (100%), 1-2 Thermite (100%), Sisyphus (50%), Holy Ash (50%)

Thermite.png
Thermite
Drops from Lava Bats, Fire Elementals, Firerim Serpents and Molten Explorers
'It's a half-melted piece of metal. You can see patterns in its surface.'
Used to craft the Thermite Set

Intraheat_Scale.png
Intraheat Scale
Drops from Firerim Serpents
Used to craft Obsidian Templar Armor

Obsidian_Templar_Armor.png
Obsidian Templar Armor
Crafted with Thermite and Intraheat Plates in the same ratio as Hallowed Bars to Frost Cores in Frost Armor
*Helmet: 12 defense, +13% ranged and melee damage
*Breastplate: 22 defense, +10% critical strike chance
*Greaves: 14 defense, +8% movement speed, +10% melee damage
Set bonus: Melee and ranged attacks give orbiting globules of lava that drip on nearby enemies and cause explosions that do not damage the player

Scorching_Claymore.png
Scorching Claymore
*73 melee damage
*5.5 knockback (average)
*23 use time (fast)
Crafted from 16 Thermite.

Drybones.png
Drybones
*190% pickaxe power
*35 melee damage
*3.5 knockback (weak)
*28 use time (average)
*+2 range
Basically intended to be a weaker and slower version of the Chlorophyte Pickaxe, but has increased range.

Sisyphus.png
Sisyphus
Dropped by Firerim Serpents.
*63 melee damage
*4-8 knockback (weak to very strong)
*40 use time (very slow)
*15.4 velocity
*Leaves a trail of fire as it swings, knocks enemies back more the closer they are to the user

Holy Ash
'Loosens death's hold'
User will always drop only 1 Gold upon death in softcore; drops only items below pink rarity in mediumcore.
Can be tinkered with the Charm of Myths to produce Reborn Pendant.

Reborn Pendant
'Be rekindled'
Crafted with Charm of Myths and Holy Ash
Respawn time is cut by 25%, cooldown for potions is 25% faster, increased health regeneration, death penalizes you less

Scorch Mark (Shotgun upgrade)
Crafted with 20 Thermite, 10 Souls of Fright, Shotgun
*28 ranged damage
*Fires five shots for the price of one
*30 use time (Average)
*5.5 knockback (average)

Fissure.png
Fissure
Dropped by Molten Explorers, 4.5%
*54 melee damage
*29 use time (average)
*5.5 knockback (average)
*Creates a fire shield in front of the user that can be used to dash toward enemies and shield bash them

Finally, I'll just summon some associates. @Sheldon Cooper ISP @SzGamer227 @Pinelord @crackshotCerberus @Baconfry @Brick Creeper @Hunited

Remember that if you like a suggestion, both like and comment what you like about it/a question/something that could be changed. It helps keep it alive.

Last edited:
I really like the unique weapon and mob ideas. Like the Fissure and Firerim serpent. I really like the whole idea in general. The only thing a would complain about is that Hell won't make much of a challenge post-Plantera. Support!

I really like the unique weapon and mob ideas. Like the Fissure and Firerim serpent. I really like the whole idea in general. The only thing a would complain about is that Hell won't make much of a challenge post-Plantera. Support!
Well, neither will anything else except the Temple and Dungeon. At least Hell and the Jungle are somewhat tough.

I like it. Hell needs more content in hardmode, and this adds some great stuff. I especially like the reborn pendant and holy ash. My only complaint is that only melee and ranged characters would have much reason to go back to hell for these items, and even then there isn't any ranged weapons for them. There should be weapons and some items for other classes, as well as a few more enemies. You currently only have 3 enemies, so the entire time would be spent farming those three enemies and then you'd once again leave, never to return for any reason. Maybe there could be some trees in hell that drop ashwood or something and require at least a molten hamaxe to cut? Combine it with something else maybe and get a cinder armor for hardmode? Just an idea.

I like it. Hell needs more content in hardmode, and this adds some great stuff. I especially like the reborn pendant and holy ash. My only complaint is that only melee and ranged characters would have much reason to go back to hell for these items, and even then there isn't any ranged weapons for them. There should be weapons and some items for other classes, as well as a few more enemies. You currently only have 3 enemies, so the entire time would be spent farming those three enemies and then you'd once again leave, never to return for any reason. Maybe there could be some trees in hell that drop ashwood or something and require at least a molten hamaxe to cut? Combine it with something else maybe and get a cinder armor for hardmode? Just an idea.
I'm a fan of that. Updating the main post right now.

Updating with the Ashwood spoiler and Scorch Mark shotgun.

Last edited:
this is brilliant! i'd love to see a sprite for those trees, maybe you could consider making a sprite picture thing of what your improved hell would look like?

I always thought Hell could use a bit more work. The Obsidian Templar armor looks kinda dumb, though, and maybe they should make the underworld a bit less empty feeling.

There is no crafting recipe for the attention getter... ;)

I like the Fissure.
[doublepost=1461265586,1461265370][/doublepost]Should the scorching claymore inflict On Fire?

the flare gun upgrade:

*43 ranged damage
*24 use time (Fast)
*3 Knockback (Weak)

the flare gun upgrade:

*43 ranged damage
*24 use time (Fast)
*3 Knockback (Weak)
Ah yeah, that one. I honestly don't really know the crafting recipe. Whatever seems fair. I'll put in a placeholder.

Man another insanely great post from you 652Graystripe!!! The underworld, or hell, should be given some kinda makeover, not a lot of reason to go back down there once wall of flesh is defeated.

Back
Top Bottom