Blocks & Decoration (Sprites) Martian Traps

nealpd

Skeletron Prime
Martian Traps
I've found that the lihzahrd traps become quite ineffectual near the end of the game, and the variety of said traps gets bland after a while. Also, the martian madness event had quite bland drops, with only one enemy dropping the useful items. I've even had martian events in which the UFOs never appear! (Although that is an issue for another time.)​

Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

(Needs a better sprite, wasn't really sure how this would actually look :p)
Material
Drops from all enemies in the Martian Madness event, except for Martian Saucer and Scutlix at a 20% rate

Ray Trap
Ray Turret.png

"Pew pew"
80 Damage
Fires two projectiles consecutively, and has a 4 second cooldown. Fires the projectile that Ray Gunners fire.
Crafted With
1 Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

2 Meteorite Bars
Meteorite_Bar.png

Tesla Trap
Tesla Trap.png

"Shocking! Electrifying, even."
65 Damage
Fires three projectiles inaccuratly in a spread, and has a 4 second cooldown. Fires the projectile that Tesla Turrets fire.
Inflicts Electrified
Crafted With
1 Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

1 Soul of Light
Soul_of_Light.png

Gigazap Trap
Gigazap Trap.png

"Look! It rhymes!"
This trap behaves quite strangely. It has a five second cooldown, after that cooldown, when it receives a wire signal, it becomes primed. When an enemy walks infront of the Gigazap trap while it is primed, a projectile will shoot out in front of the trap, staying there for 3 seconds. After 3 seconds, the projectile retracts, and the cooldown begins.
Gigazap Proj.png

70 Damage
Inflicts Slow
Crafted With
1 Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

2 Hellstone Bar
Hellstone_Bar.png

Venom Dripper
Venom Dripper Inactive.png
Venom Dripper.gif

"Rain on their parade."
When placed, it uses the inactive sprite, however when powered, it uses the animated sprite.
This is the only trap that doesn't require a pulse to activate. When turned on it drips venom down at random intervals of 0.5 to 2 seconds.
Venom Drop.png

25 Damage
Inflicts Venom
Crafted With
1 Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

1 Vial of Venom
Vial_of_Venom.png

Death Ray Trap
Death Ray Trap.png

"There's a reason they put death in the name."
130 Damage
The Death Ray Trap is the only trap more than 1x1 blocks, (aside from the boulder) instead taking up 1x3.
It has a ten second cooldown, after that, it fires the death ray used by the Martian Saucer for 3 seconds.
Crafted With
3 Martian Trap Tool
Martain Trap Tool.png

4 Solar Fragments
Solar_Fragment.png

And as a bonus...
Tesla Turret
Tesla Turret Inactive.png
Tesla Turret.png

"Is this thing on?"
A placeable Tesla Turret that acts as a friendly Tesla Turret while powered.
15 Damage
Inflicts Electrified
1% Drop from the Martian Engineer

And that's about it. This is my first suggestion so please, feel free to give constructive criticism, and tell me what I screwed up, what's unbalanced, poorly done, etc. I'm a bit new to this as you may be able to tell.

Last edited:
I like it! also, I can imagine the things people can do with this... Although, we need more traps throughout the game anyways. Support.

Pretty good except maybe give *slight* more detail on how some of the traps work. 9.8/10 suggestion great sprites too!
Thanks! Yeah, it was a bit hard finding a good format for explaining how these traps work, also, I tried to add pictures to demonstrate how they work, and I searched through the XNB files with no luck on finding some of the projectiles listed here.

I like it! also, I can imagine the things people can do with this... Although, we need more traps throughout the game anyways. Support.
Some mid-tier traps might be nice, late pre-hardmode to early hardmode is somewhat starved for traps, with the dart trap falling of the spectrum in power, and others that are incredibly unpractical, (Boulder and explosive.) I might work on a suggestion for some early hardmode traps.

I really like this idea! Support!
Thanks!

What about instead of crafting with the tool they were sold by a Martian NPC?
Goblin Invasion-> Goblin Tinkerer
Pirate Invasion-> Pirate
Martian Madness-> Martian Engineer

Reactions: "N"
meh, we don't need an npc just because theres an invasion, if you can't suggest what he'd do don't try to get op to add it to the suggestion lol.
just the traps is fine

What about instead of crafting with the tool they were sold by a Martian NPC?
Goblin Invasion-> Goblin Tinkerer
Pirate Invasion-> Pirate
Martian Madness-> Martian Engineer
Honestly, adding an additional step to this progression would be redundant, the trap tools were made to vary up the drops from the martains during the invasion. A martian npc is a good idea, that I may explore in the future, but not right now.

I like this idea a lot, support!
Thank you very much!

Don't forget Frost Legion (AKA Unoriginal Seasonal Event) -> Santa. There should be a Martian NPC, but maybe not called "Martian Engineer".
Again, probably an idea I'll explore in the future, but not with this idea.

meh, we don't need an npc just because theres an invasion, if you can't suggest what he'd do don't try to get op to add it to the suggestion lol.
just the traps is fine
Yeah, whilst I do think a martian npc is a good idea as an additional reward for completing the martian invasion, I don't think shoehorning it in as an extra layer of progression for this suggestion is a good idea.

The other two pillar fragments should be also used to make traps.
The Vortex fragments could shoot bursts of energy projectiles that behave similarily to the Stynger on impact.
The Stardust fragments could spawn some sort of mobile guardian. Probabily some sort of robot.
Nebula fragments could shoot a piercing projectile that leaves damaging clouds upon hitting.

I like the idea, but as they are this strong maybe add a new crafting station. If Martian Madness gets an NPC then he could sell it. I can't think of what else he would do.

Also how about the Death Ray Trap needs 3 Martian Trap Tools to craft, given that it takes up 3 spaces and is by far the strongest?

The other two pillar fragments should be also used to make traps.
The Vortex fragments could shoot bursts of energy projectiles that behave similarily to the Stynger on impact.
The Stardust fragments could spawn some sort of mobile guardian. Probabily some sort of robot.
Nebula fragments could shoot a piercing projectile that leaves damaging clouds upon hitting.
The Solar Fragments were only added to the death ray trap in order to balance out the cost and time of acquisition. Whilst these are good ideas, the topic here is martian traps, not lunar traps.

I like the idea, but as they are this strong maybe add a new crafting station. If Martian Madness gets an NPC then he could sell it. I can't think of what else he would do.

Also how about the Death Ray Trap needs 3 Martian Trap Tools to craft, given that it takes up 3 spaces and is by far the strongest?
Again, a martian npc is a good idea, and a crafting station to make the martian furniture and perhaps these traps is also a good idea. However, I don't feel it's necessary to add extra padding to this idea.

Oh and the recipe change is a good idea. Added.

The Solar Fragments were only added to the death ray trap in order to balance out the cost and time of acquisition. Whilst these are good ideas, the topic here is martian traps, not lunar traps.
But they still are martian traps, and they still add some vareity.

Back
Top Bottom