Weapons & Equip [Sprites] The Mana Overcharge Battery and Stuff

J-50N

Terrarian
Pretend I put something clever here and we'll get right into the suggestion. Firstly, this is an enemy.
Overcharger.gif

The Overcharged Nimbus spawns rarely in the Sky biome after at least two Mechanical Bosses have been defeated. He acts similarly to his mundane cousin the Angry Nimbus but attacks with lightning bolts that inflict Electrified instead of rain. This guy should be fairly difficult to defeat, but not quite on miniboss level. It always drops the Mana Overcharge Battery, which is the core of this suggestion.
Divider - Star Battery.png

Mana Overcharge Battery.png
'Hold the power of the stars.'
Mana Overcharge Battery.png
The Mana Overcharge Battery is an Accessory that causes stars collected while at 90% Mana or higher to add a level to the Mana Overcharge buff. Each level adds +20 to Mana Capacity and it maxes out at level 10 or +200 Mana. Mana Overcharge expires after 15 seconds, but the timer can be reset by continuing to collect additional stars after the maximum has been reached. Each star adds 3 seconds back.
Mana Overcharge.gif
Overcharged Mana Star.png
This is what the icon for Mana Overcharge buff and the Overcharged Mana Stars look like.

Celestial Overcharge Battery.png
'Attract and hold the power of the stars.'
Celestial Overcharge Battery.png
Any good Accessory needs a few Tinkers, here is the first. The Celestial Overcharge Battery is crafted with a Mana Overcharge Battery and a Celestial Magnet. The effects are combined as normal.
Overcharged Star Magnet.png
'Rain the power of the stars on your foes.'
The Overcharged Star Magnet was suggested by @layman9 . It would be crafted with the Celestial Overcharge Battery and a Star Cloak. It massively increases the rate at which Falling Stars fall, makes them home in on enemies slightly and causes 1-3 Death Stars
Killer Star.png
to spawn when they impact the ground. Death Stars deal ~300 damage and home in on enemies strongly.
Rechargeable Star Battery Final.png
'Replenish, attract and hold the power of the stars.'
Rechargeable Star Battery Final.png
Finally we have the Rechargeable Star Battery. Crafted with a Celestial Overcharge Battery, a Mana Flower and a Band of Mana Regeneration. It has the Mana Overcharge effect, the Celestial Magnet effect, increased Mana regeneration and you automatically drink Mana potions. It loses the 8% reduction in Mana consumption granted by the Mana Flower.

Heart Overcharger - Copy.png
'Clear!'
The Heart Overcharger is crafted with a Mana Overcharge Battery and a Charm of Myths. It gives increased regeneration, and causes Hearts picked up at full Health to add a level to the Health Overcharge buff. Each level adds +10 to Health Capacity and it maxes out at level 10 or +100 Health. Health Overcharge expires after 15 seconds, but the timer can be reset by continuing to collect additional hearts after the maximum has been reached. Each heart adds 3 seconds back.
Magnetic Heart Overcharger.png
'Bzzzt.'
The Magnetic Heart Overcharger would be crafted with a Cordial Magnet and the Heart Overcharger. The effects are combined normally.
Now the Crimson worlders have begun freaking out I'm sure. The Band of Starpower would now be found in Gold Chests like the Band of Regeneration and its place would be taken by the Thanatomancer's Mark.
Thanatomancer's Mark.png
The Thanatomancer's Mark restores 10 Mana every time you kill an enemy. Tinkers for it will be on a different thread.
Tell me what you think. Is the formatting good? Or atrocious? Is the Rechargeable Star Battery/Overcharged Star Magnet over- or under-powered? Go ahead and tell me.

1.3 - Added the Heart Overcharger and the Magnetic Heart Overcharger.
1.2 - Added the Overcharged Star Magnet, changed the divider sprite and reversed the changelog's order.
1.1 - Added the Thanatomancer's Mark, rearranged the formatting slightly and added this changelog.
1.0 - Pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Good work, except for one problem... its pretty much useless :( there is just no reason to sacrifice that mana reduction for something that VERY occasionally gives you a bit more for a few seconds. You need to add more features for what the overcharge's effect is, and change the way it is gained for this to be plausible and earn my respect.

Good work, except for one problem... its pretty much useless :( there is just no reason to sacrifice that mana reduction for something that VERY occasionally gives you a bit more for a few seconds. You need to add more features for what the overcharge's effect is, and change the way it is gained for this to be plausible and earn my respect.
Excellent point sir. I have been fighting the Frost/Pumpkin Moons repeatedly for quite some time. I pick up so many stars since I play as a mage using Laser Machinegun that it has quite possibly skewed my perception slightly.

However, I find the Celestial Cuffs virtually useless, or at least counterintuitive to the mage playstyle. Mages are squishy, so getting hit hurts, but you get Mana back. It seems wrong. I feel like this synergizes much better with the Celestial Magnet than the Cuffs, because you pick up stars regardless of how much Mana you have left and so you might as well use them. Frankly, I would never use just the Overcharge Battery, I would wait until I had the Celestial Battery at least.

So yes, you have a point, but I feel that the Celestial Cuffs are considerably more useless and yet are used fairly often.

Excellent point sir. I have been fighting the Frost/Pumpkin Moons repeatedly for quite some time. I pick up so many stars since I play as a mage using Laser Machinegun that it has quite possibly skewed my perception slightly.

However, I find the Celestial Cuffs virtually useless, or at least counterintuitive to the mage playstyle. Mages are squishy, so getting hit hurts, but you get Mana back. It seems wrong. I feel like this synergizes much better with the Celestial Magnet than the Cuffs, because you pick up stars regardless of how much Mana you have left and so you might as well use them. Frankly, I would never use just the Overcharge Battery, I would wait until I had the Celestial Battery at least.

So yes, you have a point, but I feel that the Celestial Cuffs are considerably more useless and yet are used fairly often.
Have you seen the amount of mana people gain from them?

Have you seen the amount of mana people gain from them?
I use them and I have seen the amount of Mana I recover when hit. However I still think that faster Mana regeneration, automatically drinking Mana potions, attracting stars from a distance and being able to increase your maximum Mana with them would be considerably more useful than getting Mana back when damaged and attracting stars that you may not even need.

Even disregarding the Overcharge effect, a combination of a Mana Flower and Celestial Magnet would be incredibly useful, then you add faster Mana regeneration and the Overcharge and you have a powerful accessory.

You Sir, Just earned my "Seal-Of-Approval"
Here, have it!
Thank you sir.

Update:
Thanatomancer's Mark.png
The Thanatomancer's Mark will now be dropped by Shadow Orbs in place of the Band of Starpower. It restores 10 Mana every time an enemy is killed. Tinkers for it will be on a separate thread.

I'm down to test out any sort of endgame mage build, been trying to farm Frost Moon and get some more drops from Pumpkin Moon

Yep, that was my main inspiration for this. So many Mana Stars going to waste.
It isn't for everyone. Not even all endgame mages would use it, but I certainly would.
Dude, I just came up with a really good idea. Instead of overcharging when collecting stars, it should increase the chance of stars falling at night MASSIVELY and have them slightly home towards enemies. You know they do 1000 damage.

Dude, I just came up with a really good idea. Instead of overcharging when collecting stars, it should increase the chance of stars falling at night MASSIVELY and have them slightly home towards enemies. You know they do 1000 damage.
Now that is constructive! I definitely like the idea but I don't want to replace the original. Perhaps the Star Overcharge Magnet (which does what you described) could be made by combining the Mana Overcharge Battery, Star Cloak and Celestial Magnet. Falling stars may have to do slightly less damage though.

Update: The Overcharged Star Magnet has been added to the OP.

Also Death Stars.
Killer Star.png
Killer Star.png
Killer Star.png
Killer Star.png
They look so innocent here, but they are not to be underestimated.
Stellar idea for a good Summoner setup is Stardust Armor with a max length Stardust Dragon, the Overcharged Star Magnet and a Star Wrath.

yaaaaaaaaaaay Now support x1000000000000000
[DOUBLEPOST=1439514179,1439514161][/DOUBLEPOST]Get DarkAwesome to make a banner for this

Will you try to make a health counterpart as well? The mana overcharge battery is a clever idea.
All right, it took a while because of school, but I did get it done.

The Heart Overcharger is crafted with a Mana Overcharge Battery and a Charm of Myths. It gives increased regeneration, and causes Hearts picked up at full Health to add a level to the Health Overcharge buff. Each level adds +10 to Health Capacity and it maxes out at level 10 or +100 Health. Health Overcharge expires after 15 seconds, but the timer can be reset by continuing to collect additional hearts after the maximum has been reached. Each heart adds 3 seconds back.

The Magnetic Heart Overcharger would be crafted with one of @SzGamer227 's Cordial Magnets and the Heart Overcharger. The effects are combined normally.

I know this is a wee bit late, but, wow--this is a rather impressive set of ideas you've brought to the table, J-50N, I really like this! I normally play with the Warrior type of classing, but, these would be an encouragement to branch out, and try newer things. owo

Back
Top Bottom