Sprites Shotgun overhaul-- Double-Barrels, Shells and stuff!

Tachytaenius

Skeletron Prime
SHOTGUN OVERHAUL

A new weapon, the "Super Shotgun."
DaUEVNN.png
(Sprite inspired by Doom 2's super shotgun.) It's basically a higher-tier shotgun.

Recipe is 1 × Illegal Gun Parts + 1 × Shotgun + 1 × Soul of Might.

Upon firing, it will go from the image shown above, to the image directly below, quickly to the one after that, quickly to the next, back to the one above, and then leave the player's hand, as all ranged weapons do when they're finished; all stretched over the reload time.

PGd2yMf.png
8ynmFJK.png
tjWaG5t.png
(It's supposed to be an animation of loading two shells into the break-action shotgun.)

It is a ranged weapon that takes two shells (will be described) per shot, or fires half as much if you haven't got two shells.
Has a use time of 66 (and a reload animation, shown above.)
Each shot deals 36 base damage.
The knockback is 8.5.
The critical chance is 6%.
The velocity is 10.
The rarity is "pink."
The buy/sell prices are 35 gold/7 gold.
The tooltip is: "Fires an extra-powerful shotgun shell. Slug shells are not recommended, as this gun is very inaccurate."
It fires bullets as will be described.
A buckshot piece can pierce up to 4 enemies, and a slug 10.
The firings sound is just a louder ordinary shotgun firing sound.
The reload sound is the current ordinary shotgun's reload sound, except there are 4 "tik" sounds, like... "tik... tik tik, tik." Each one resembling the breaking, loading of the first and then second shells, and finally the re-connecting of the parts, all in synchronisation with the animation frame changes.
Everything else is the same as the ordinary shotgun.

Also... shoot the ordinary shotgun, which is obviously pump-action—the pump sound is nearly impossible to hear. It's not good enough. If it were more "ch-ch" than "tik-tik," and louder, it would be a lot better.

Banner:

BBCode:
Code:
[URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/super-shotgun-and-a-better-ordinary-shotgun-pump-sound.41022/'][IMG]http://imgur.com/rpah7f6.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Ammunition Changes

9eWTqg9.png
Empty Shotgun Shell
No shotgun in the game can fire with a standard bullet anymore. You'll need to:
  1. Buy empty shotgun shells for 1 silver each from the arms dealer.
  2. Find a bullet of your choice.
  3. There are two recipes per bullet; slug and buckshot. Pick one.
  4. Craft with one bullet and one empty shotgun shell.
  5. You now have either a slug shell with one very powerful bullet of your choice or a buckshot shell with a bullet broken down into about 8 8-times-less-powerful pellets. The base damage of buckshot is multiplied by 2.5, which is fair, since shotguns are slow. (bulletDamage*4)*(baseShotgunDamage/12) for a slug (since most guns are rapid-fire, and as such, deal an unfair amount of extra DPS. I did some calculations for buckshot as well, using the formula below, and this seems reasonable. 108 damage for a single slug of meteor shot fired from a super shotgun, and 10.125 damage for a single buckshot pellet of meteor shot also fired from a super shotgun. Multiply it by 8 and you get 81, therefore 81 is the damage for an entire shell (there's 8 pellets in a buckshot shell.))
Of course, all shells have their contents labelled. The rarity of an empty shell is nowt, and a filled shell takes the rarity from its bullet type.

To use them, you'll need to:
  1. Open your inventory and move them to the ammo area.
  2. Know that there's a switch in the GUI called "separate ammo shells" that, when on, looks for another shell after the first shell that's used in the ammo slots to be fired. Otherwise it'll just take two from the top stack, if that makes sense. Of course, if there's only one in the top stack anyway, it'll only take one (and be forced into separate ammo shells mode, unless there is literally one shell in the entire inventory.)
The difference between a slug and buckshot shell is this:
A slug shell fires one large bullet that deals 5 times the damage/speed/debuff duration (etc) of the same bullet when fired from a non-shotgun weapon. (It's a slow weapon, after all.) Buckshot shells fire 8 bullets, with each bullet's damage using this little formula:

((y*2.5)*(x/2))/8
Where x is the base damage of the actual shotgun, and y is the base damage of the actual bullet.

Can also be written as:
The bullet's damage is multiplied by 2.5. This new number is multiplied by half of the firing weapon's base damage. The number we have now is divided by 8, since there's 8 pellets in a shell.

If you notice anything that makes either type solidly better than the other, let me know and I'll fix it.
All shotguns use shells now.
Bullet effects are preserved and multiplied in whatever way (debuff durations, speeds, etc) using numbers as shown in the formula.

When a super shotgun is split, two empty shells come out as items. When an ordinary shotgun is pumped, an empty shells comes out as an item.

Thanks for reading. If you want to show support, please like/reply!

Last edited:
I noticed something... the damage on this shotgun is actually 3 units higher than the tactical shotgun. But that's OK, as the spread on this is insane.
I'd say that in Terraria spread is a positive not a negative.
Also, this is available as soon as the shotgun is, rendering the shotgun useless.
I think it could do with a bit of a damage nerf too; or instead something to gate it to past the mechs.

I'd say that in Terraria spread is a positive not a negative.
Also, this is available as soon as the shotgun is, rendering the shotgun useless.
I think it could do with a bit of a damage nerf too; or instead something to gate it to past the mechs.

Nerfed by how much? Only ~4, I'd say—remember the reload time. As for the gate of the mechs, perhaps you could tell me if there's a post-mech illegal gun parts equivalent?

Why not some souls of Fright? I mean, any enemy is going to be :red:ing scared about a 9-10 shot 36 damage shotgun. It sounds so cool, and I don't even think it's too powerful. Around 300-400 DPS base is a little much, but lowering damage to 30-32 should solve that.
Also, the shotgun sprite is really good. Keep up the spriting! All my support here.

Why not some souls of Fright? I mean, any enemy is going to be :red:ing scared about a 9-10 shot 36 damage shotgun. It sounds so cool, and I don't even think it's too powerful. Around 300-400 DPS base is a little much, but lowering damage to 30-32 should solve that.
Also, the shotgun sprite is really good. Keep up the spriting! All my support here.
This. I forgot about souls, they're much more fitting that hallowed bars.

That's a lot of enemies.
I'm pretty sure most shotguns don't realy peirce the target.
But how else would they be good for crowd control? In a 3-D environment, you can easily blast away wide crowds, and in this 2-D environment, we can only assume that the crowds of zombies and such that you get are, I guess, meant to be wide, so it only makes sense to have pierce, considering the spread. OK, that made no sense :sigh:

Nope. Piercing is the last thing you want on a shotgun, it activates a 10 frame invincibility timer so only one pellet would hit.

For players only. This happens with a lot of weapons, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom