Tool T-Backup - Backup your Worlds and Players with ease

darthmorf

Treederator
Staff member
logo2.png

T-Backup is a simple tool that at the press of a button backs up your Terraria Worlds, Players, or both.
It is written in C# by Sam Poirier (darthmorf) and is currently v3.0 .
Downloads

- v3.0

- v2.0
- v1.0

Install

To install it is very simple, simply download the exe and run it.
If you wish to view the source code, take a look at the github page.

Gallery

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Please Note - This is a windows only program.

Last edited:
Please post any bugs you encounter in this thread!

To do:

-Move settings from registry to binary/xml serialization?
-Allow running on Terraria startup
-Add a 'Browse' button on backup folder path

-Multiple profiles
-Restore backups

Current Bugs
-Default Profile isn't saving properly.
-Crash on Terraria launch when the exe can't be found.

-Fixed a bug where creating backups too quickly caused a crash.

Last edited:
New features?

Yeah I was looking for something to keep 10 backups (or a configurable number) and then start overwriting the first backup. The tool would launch the game for you and do your backup.

New features?

Yeah I was looking for something to keep 10 backups (or a configurable number) and then start overwriting the first backup. The tool would launch the game for you and do your backup.
Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean. Could you go into more detail please?

Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean. Could you go into more detail please?
Sure i think a tool that launched the game and did a backup at that time of launch would be great.

This tool almost already has this missing the launcher part.

You wouldn't want 100 backups of your players and worlds for disk space reasons so I think overwriting after you reach 10 backups makes sense. You would think that if you found something horribly wrong or whatever you would be able to go back to one of those last ten and restore your data. You could make the number configurable in your launcher.

Sure i think a tool that launched the game and did a backup at that time of launch would be great.

This tool almost already has this missing the launcher part.

You wouldn't want 100 backups of your players and worlds for disk space reasons so I think overwriting after you reach 10 backups makes sense. You would think that if you found something horribly wrong or whatever you would be able to go back to one of those last ten and restore your data. You could make the number configurable in your launcher.
Ok, I'll have a look into adding both of those features.

v2.0 is released!

Changelog

- There is now an option to launch Terraria from the program.
- The program will now keep the amounts of backups at a certain number. (Set to 999 if you don't want a limit.)
- Fixed a bug where creating backups too quickly caused a crash.

_____

@smeagolheart your requested features have been added.

Check if the source directory exists, or wrap it in a try catch statement. Other than that, it does work with wine. Other than starting Terraria.

Last edited:
I really like your program. I have a few feature suggestions.

1. Ability to restore a backup. I like how it makes backups but it would be nice to have an option to restore a backup instead of copying the files back manually. There could be a button such as restore and when it is pressed the program will ask you to select a backup folder and then copy the files to the Terraria folder.

2. Multiple configuration options (profiles). I would like to be able to load a configuration preset. The reason being is I use tmodloader and it stores the player and world files in it's own folder. I play modded and vanilla Terraria and switch between them frequently. So what I am asking is for a save values button and a load values button.
Out of curiosity where does the program save the values? I don't see any config file anywhere.

Thanks for making the program and taking suggestions. Keep up the good work. :dryadhappy:

I really like your program. I have a few feature suggestions.

1. Ability to restore a backup. I like how it makes backups but it would be nice to have an option to restore a backup instead of copying the files back manually. There could be a button such as restore and when it is pressed the program will ask you to select a backup folder and then copy the files to the Terraria folder.
Shouldn't be too hard to implement. I will work on it.

2. Multiple configuration options (profiles). I would like to be able to load a configuration preset. The reason being is I use tmodloader and it stores the player and world files in it's own folder. I play modded and vanilla Terraria and switch between them frequently. So what I am asking is for a save values button and a load values button.
I can look into this too.

Out of curiosity where does the program save the values? I don't see any config file anywhere.
'C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.vshost.exe_Url_ntrrxa4iaqozobnbkaxrvqewuh5giwdw\1.0.0.0'
or something similar. (The last bit may change slightly.)

Thanks for making the program and taking suggestions. Keep up the good work. :dryadhappy:
No problem, and thank you.

'C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.vshost.exe_Url_ntrrxa4iaqozobnbkaxrvqewuh5giwdw\1.0.0.0'
or something similar. (The last bit may change slightly.)

I found the user.config file on my system. I use Windows 7 64bit so it was easy to find. The interesting thing is that there were 2 folders and 2 config files on my system.

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.v2.0.exe_Url_l4jkancwjp1uwmrfpojb1bwpvoowkpel\1.0.0.0\user.config
and​
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.v2.0.exe_Url_ugwmpedmsygwabk25v03r01vc4dvwibw\1.0.0.0\user.config

They both contained the exact same data and date created timestamp.

This is just another interesting thing that piqued my curiosity. I would ask you for the source code of the program but that wouldn't do me any good. I can only understand very basic coding languages like html and javascript. My LUA is minimal. I can understand most of it but not actually make code that works. I am learning it though.

The thing I am thinking of for multiple profiles (a quick dirty option) is to just create multiple user.config files and make a bat file to move them back and forth into the correct folder. This is a simple way to make it work until you figure out multiple profiles.

Another huge thank you for making this program. I backup my players and worlds every time I play. It is so convenient. I have had to use the backups too.

One last thing I am wondering is if the player and world backups would be able to be created while Terraria and the world and character file is loaded and running. I'm guessing no so I have been shutting down Terraria and making a backup then reloading it up to be safe. I don't know enough about how and when Terraria writes data to the world and character files when it is running. I expect corrupted backups but more testing would be needed for me to confirm that. The reason I'm looking into this is because I have to shut down the "Host and Play" world and force everyone to reconnect if a backup is needed. It is a minor inconvenience but it would be neat to be able to backup the world while it is running. It might have something to do with the autosave option. I will mess around with it later.

If you read this Wall of Text, I solute you!!

I found the user.config file on my system. I use Windows 7 64bit so it was easy to find. The interesting thing is that there were 2 folders and 2 config files on my system.

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.v2.0.exe_Url_l4jkancwjp1uwmrfpojb1bwpvoowkpel\1.0.0.0\user.config
and​
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\T_Backup\T-Backup.v2.0.exe_Url_ugwmpedmsygwabk25v03r01vc4dvwibw\1.0.0.0\user.config

They both contained the exact same data and date created timestamp.
That's very odd. Have you ever wiped the program? It could be something to do with the way it sets up for the first time.

This is just another interesting thing that piqued my curiosity. I would ask you for the source code of the program but that wouldn't do me any good. I can only understand very basic coding languages like html and javascript. My LUA is minimal. I can understand most of it but not actually make code that works. I am learning it though.

The thing I am thinking of for multiple profiles (a quick dirty option) is to just create multiple user.config files and make a bat file to move them back and forth into the correct folder. This is a simple way to make it work until you figure out multiple profiles.
That would work, indeed. I am currently working on the multiple profiles, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

Another huge thank you for making this program. I backup my players and worlds every time I play. It is so convenient. I have had to use the backups too.
It's my pleasure.

One last thing I am wondering is if the player and world backups would be able to be created while Terraria and the world and character file is loaded and running. I'm guessing no so I have been shutting down Terraria and making a backup then reloading it up to be safe. I don't know enough about how and when Terraria writes data to the world and character files when it is running. I expect corrupted backups but more testing would be needed for me to confirm that. The reason I'm looking into this is because I have to shut down the "Host and Play" world and force everyone to reconnect if a backup is needed. It is a minor inconvenience but it would be neat to be able to backup the world while it is running. It might have something to do with the autosave option. I will mess around with it later.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to risk doing that, as who knows what would happen. I'd be very interested to see the results of your test, however.

If you read this Wall of Text, I solute you!!
*salute ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom