Terraria Community Feature: James "ChippyGaming" Bennett

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
Good afternoon, Terrarians!

What a month it has been! From Terraria: Otherworld to GDC and beyond, March 2015 will not soon be forgotten. That said, don't think for one second that we have taken our eyes off of our amazing community of loyal fans. Our first two Community Features dealt with less well-known projects and members - but we are going to take a bit of time now to point out a handful of our more "famous" folks as a part of the monthly series as well. That starts this month with ever-present Terraria news YouTuber ChippyGaming (AKA James Bennett).

chippygaming logo.png

Since the age of 14, James has been a passionate YouTuber, covering a range of games over over time. He is currently a college student with the desire to pursue an English Degree in late 2015 - all while continuing his YouTube series to both relieve stress and to help cover his costs of living.

Around the time of the 1.1 update, James decided to dedicate his channel primarily to Terraria. Though he was playing a ton of Terraria, he had yet to find his style - going from creating Terraria Tutorials, to covering Mods, to discussing update ideas in his show "Terraria Talk", to reporting news, and then finally culminating in a format that would allow him to address a wide range of these topics.

He released his first Terraria video on launch day, so he didn't draw inspiration from others although he did discover the game through The Yogscast. However, he does find Yrimir's amazing videos to be an inspiration to put in that extra bit of quality editing. James feels that Yrimir sets the bar for Terraria YouTubers.

In honor of this Community Feature, Chippy has developed a quick video below that I'm sure you will all enjoy. :)

And now, the obligatory Q&A!
1. So, what is it like being a famous YouTuber? What's a day in your life like?
Well I essentially live the life of an average British Teenager with a heavy influence of YouTube thrown in. I live each day similarly, I wake up for college and read through my YouTube comments. I then usually spend 8-9 hours at college during lessons or revising in my free periods, and then I come home and relax scouring YouTube for new inspiration. I've yet to consider myself famous, but I have had a handful of people approach me around my college having been watching my YouTube for a long time (and that always feels amazing)

I am always excited for my weekends however, as these are the days I get to spend all day on YouTube (while also seeing my girlfriend and family) as I was made redundant from my job as a chef in early 2015.

2. How do you decide on the subject for your next video?
Well I like to juggle between 3 types of videos that I am known for, casual let's plays, news/updates and Top 5 lists. I will usually spend a few days mind mapping a variety of video ideas, that consider things such as 'searchability' 'clickability' and most importantly what will be entertaining not just to make, but to others. Top 5 lists are usually suggested by people in the comments, news video come and go as they please (I can never plan them) and lets play are only ever made if I know I'll have a long space of free time.

3. Any of your videos hold a special place - good or bad - in your mind? Why?
Well I'd best give a good and a bad, just to be fair. One video that stands out to me in a good way is my 'Top 5 Bosses' video, as it was the first video of mine that took off without any influence from others, most of my early videos were heavily supported by the developers, and the 'Top 5 Bosses' gave me a chance to stand on my own 2 feet, which now currently has over 300,000 views! In regards to videos I don't like, well I think you can just bunch together most of my early Terraria spoiler videos, they were too rushed and people found my fast voice too hard to understand.

4. Besides yourself, what other Terraria YouTubers and/or Terraria videos do you appreciate? Why?
It's quite out there that I adore Yrimir for every single one of his videos, which I have watched since his first ever Terraria video. I was also heavily influenced by OdysseyGames when I was making videos once a month for fun before my channel took off. Despite being a 'Terraria YouTuber' I struggle to watch people playing the game, I think that everything is so small when watching others play, so videos such as 'PVP' always seemed fantastic to me, as I could watch them from afar. This is also the reason why I used to binge watch Yrimir's lets plays as he edited them with zooms. I' use a mix of both styles in my editing, with every let's play I use music to build dramatic tension (like Yrimir) and I list everything I find (like OdysseyGames)

5. Looking backwards now, how did you get involved with Terraria and why?
It was quite simply really, I was a huge Minecraft fan and had been playing since the game was in Alpha, and so Terraria just seemed like a logical progression. It wasn't until Terraria was no longer receiving updates however that I actually created mass content for it, I thought that it would be easy to be noticed with most of the Youtubers dying off, and I knew in my heart the developers would return, and very shortly after I made a video explaining this, they did!

6. Looking ahead into 2015 - 1.3 and the other projects the dev team has hinted around - what has you most excited and what do you think we can expect?
I have to say I'm most excited for that day 1 feel of the 1.3 update, as people rush to the forums, reddit and youtube to show their discovery and the wild goose chase that people go through to find everything new. I always find that this is the closest the community becomes, even if it is for a week or two. It also means for me as a Youtuber I get to sit and analyse what videos are important and which are not worth making. I think that we as a community can expect a lot of new buzz for the game and with that bring many things.

7. What one thing from 1.3 has you the most excited? What one unannounced thing do you suspect exists but hasn't been shared yet?
Well having had a fair dosage of 1.3 information thrown at me, I have to say that whatever the Lunar Update entails, I'll love it. (also I'd best see a portal gun)

8. Any other thoughts or predictions around what 2015 and beyond will hold for the community?
With the release of Terraria 1.3 on the horizon, and Terraria Otherworld being announced (on my birthday) I can say that the Terraria community is going to keep growing, and with growth brings fresh life into everything us as a community do. I don't know exactly what will happen, but I can say for certain that 'Chippygaming' will be there to experience it all. Having been releasing videos as 'Chippygaming' since 2011 and now heading to University this year, I am growing with thousand of people alongside me, and I love that.

Until next time, we hope you have enjoyed this Terraria Community Feature! Apologies for it being a few weeks late!

As before, if you have ideas for a person, group, or work to be featured, feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice! Cool video!
I just watched it and got back wanting to tell people about the video and I see this article.

I would have enjoyed footage of the bow being used on actual enemies more...attacking the doll all the time was rather boring. But well, maybe he wasn't allowed to do that for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for featuring me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note to everyone else,
I was welcomed into this community when I was just 14 years old, and since then I have been given support, feedback and an invaluable opportunity to have my videos shared to millions of people. I don't have a single day I'm not thankful for all of that.

Last edited:
Yay, finally some new Terraria content for me to watch.

Right now I'm just binge-watching all of @PythonGB's Terraria series. I finished Ranger and Warrior. Working on Mage atm.

Preparing myself for the alert storm a-brewin'

Well me and my friends are going to become the order of the bees, build a hive base, wear full bee armor, hornet minions, hornet pet, bee mounts, and have melee, ranged and magic with the Bee gun, bee keeper and the bee's knees

Back
Top Bottom