Official Terraria for Mac & Linux In Development!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the real question, will the Mac and windows save files be compatible, so that I may begin playing 1.3 in Parallel on the 30th, and transfer my game to the Mac Terraria directory once it becomes available? (I have SEVERAL buddies stoked about the impending 1.3, but they are all on Windows machines, and I don't expect them to wait for me.)
It was said earlier that the saves are compatible with each other as far as I can remember.

How about people who have been playing on the mobile version (ipad)? Do you think it would be possible to transfer my char on my ipad to my mac?

How about people who have been playing on the mobile version (ipad)? Do you think it would be possible to transfer my char on my ipad to my mac?
No, the world and player formats for PC/Mac and mobile are completely different; they are not interchangeable.

PC worlds and players should be useable on a Mac or Linux version, though.

You could use an inventory editor to get stuff onto your Mac person, like Gameiki once its updated, or editing the actual file on your own. I used Gameiki to edit my stuff onto my Windows character (Its on a Virtual Machine), but then it got erased after I had Steam fix the Terraria files >_< It would take a while though.

Thanks for the help guys and or gals. I think I will just restart from scratch, I bought the ipad version just to test the game out and to try and re-live some of my old gaming days and very quickly got hooked. Looking forward to playing with a mouse and keyboard next time around! :)

UPDATE: Based upon current status and planning, the expectations is that Mac/Linux will launch shortly after 1.3. This is to ensure the most stable Mac/Linux builds possible so that everyone has the best experience possible.

Of course, we will do everything possible to make this time window as small as we can. We absolutely want the Terraria 1.3 goodness in the hands of our Mac and Linux folks ASAP! Stay tuned. :)

UPDATE: Based upon current status and planning, the expectations is that Mac/Linux will launch shortly after 1.3. This is to ensure the most stable Mac/Linux builds possible so that everyone has the best experience possible.

Of course, we will do everything possible to make this time window as small as we can. We absolutely want the Terraria 1.3 goodness in the hands of our Mac and Linux folks ASAP! Stay tuned. :)
Quick question , unrelated in a way but ive been eager to know:
Will the mac/linux versions support tAPI mods?

I asked Yoraiz0r, and he said: "I still play a part in it, and sadly I have no answer for this question at the moment, we're scratching for barely any stress- free time to touch tAPI right now and we have no idea when we'll even manage to pitch time for 1.3's tAPI" (On Mac tAPI)

New forums are fun.

So, any new information about the release (or current progress) of these versions? Are we going to have to wait for 1.3 to get them?
Yep...
[DOUBLEPOST=1434551623,1434551458][/DOUBLEPOST]

YES!!! I've been waiting forever! I was also afraid that Mac might not have 1.3 on release! Thanks

The FAQ didn't give a definitive answer. Now that it's fairly close to 1.3 release, will owners of the Windows version have to buy the Mac version separately?

The FAQ didn't give a definitive answer. Now that it's fairly close to 1.3 release, will owners of the Windows version have to buy the Mac version separately?
I would think they wouldn't have to buy it again, as it still is the same game. I'm pretty sure about that too. And, I'm fairly certain that someone stated that if you already have the Windows version, you won't have to buy it again for the Mac/Linux ports.

No, you will not have to purchase a separate copy through Steam, but you can only play one version at a time through the same Steam account.

That's good to hear, because I don't think my PC is good enough to handle some of the stuff shown in the spoilers. My Mac will probably do a lot better.

I would advise against any countdowns and timers because the game could be delayed at any moment before release. Don't take a day off work. Don't spend all day in front of your computer.

I sort of agree with Based Hie here, you can't have an exact date for release, it could be changed. Also, the Mac and Linux version release date hasn't been out yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom