Drawings & Paintings Terraria How-to-Draw Tutorials

Mystic Neon Rain

Skeletron Prime
HOW TO DRAW TUTORIALS ((TERRARIA))
Hello!
I've never made an art thread before, and I'm not sure what to put here, so I'll just get to the point.
I made a tutorial for how to draw the spiky Terraria hairstyle (AKA Hairstyle 1) so I decided to make a thread for it (I'll try to add some more tutorials here later. Suggestions are welcome!)
Also, I'm really sorry for the bad quality of the photos, and I'm sorry if the pictures are too big/too small. (I'm writing this on a tablet...)

--TERRARIA HAIRSTYLE #1--
Reference pic: http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/terraria.wiki.gg/5/54/Hairstyle_1.png ((even though it's a small picture, it's still good to have a reference picture just in case))
-STEP ONE: draw the head
Spiky Hair - Step 1.JPG

-STEP TWO: Sketch the face
Spiky Hair - Step 2.JPG

It's important to draw at least the eyes at this stage, because when you draw the bangs there's a chance that they'll cover the eyes--so if you draw the bangs first, it's harder to draw the eyes properly.
-STEP THREE:
Spiky Hair - Step 3.JPG

Draw the ears (in case they'll be seen under the hair) and the line for where the hair is parted.
-STEP FOUR:
Spiky Hair - Step 4.JPG

Draw the left bangs--try to keep them shorter--and the first spike for the right side of the hair. When drawing spikes, just draw spiky pencil strokes for what seems natural (for your hand and the gravity in the picture), keeping in mind what general shape you want the hair to have.
-STEP FIVE:
Spiky Hair - Step 5.JPG

Keep on drawing in the spikes.
-STEP SIX:
Spiky Hair - Step 6.JPG

Finish the bangs on the far right, then start drawing the bangs on the lower right of the hair parting.
-STEP SEVEN:
Spiky Hair - Step 7.JPG

Finish the bangs.
-STEP EIGHT:
Spiky Hair - Step 8.JPG

Draw the bangs tucked behind the right ear (which are there to kind of even out the bangs on the right).
-STEP NINE:
Spiky Hair - Step 9.JPG

Draw the hair in the back (near the neck). You can draw it longer or shorter--it depends on how long the character's hair is/what you think looks better.
-STEP TEN:
Spiky Hair - Step 10.JPG

Adding several details and erasing pencil guidelines/cleaning up the lines.
If you want to ink/color the picture, ink it now and ignore the rest of the steps/follow the rest of the steps except in color (I'm going to color it with a mechanical pencil).
-STEP ELEVEN:
Spiky Hair - Step 11.JPG

Add "lightning bolt" hair highlights at the left and right sides of the hair. In normal lighting, the lowest the highlights should be is near the middle of the hair.
As for shading, shade in "spikes" and along existing spikes.
-STEP TWELVE:
Spiky Hair - Step 12.JPG

Continue shading hair.
-STEP THIRTEEN:
Spiky Hair - Step 13.JPG

Since I don't want the hair to look too dark, I'm using diagonal lines to be the "medium" color for the hair, vs. lightly coloring it. This step depends on how dark you want your character's hair to be.
Anyway, finish the details and that's it! :)

I hope this helps someone, and again if you have any questions or suggestions, please comment!

Last edited:
awesome ! I learned more than expected to perfect my technique ^^ thanks for this
And you should post an art thread , your characters are adorable :3
Wow, thank you! I've thought about making an art thread before, but I don't have a scanner, and to be honest I very rarely draw anything Terraria related, so I didn't really think I could...

Back
Top Bottom