Standalone Terraria ReTexturer (TRT) - A TCCL remake for v1.3

five--three

Skeletron

Terraria ReTexturer

-​

This is a pretty basic mod that allows players to load their own custom textures into Terraria easily and efficiently. It:
  • removes the need for texturepack authors to compile their projects to .xnb files
  • simplifies the install process of texture packages
  • makes it nice and easy to reorder, disable and reenable packages without hassle
The biggest downside to TCCL was that it required the game to load every texture at startup, consuming much more RAM and leaving the game prone to stuttering and crashes. TRT uses a different system and, like vanilla Terraria, only loads textures as they are required.

Currently, only the modification of Textures is supported. Other media (fonts, sounds, wavebanks) might be supported at a later date.

Feature Rundown:
  • Loads textures from .png files
  • An interface written from scratch to reorder and toggle packages
  • Small memory footprint
  • Supports reloading textures on-the-fly so changes can be previewed without restarting the game
  • Allows extraction of Terraria's .xnb files to .png files.
  • Optional debug console that outputs information for texturepack authors
  • Supports custom names, icons and descriptions to display in the selection interface.
  • (should) Support both Steam and GOG (for GOG users see below)

Tutorial:

Texturepacks follow the same format as TCCL's packages. Drop a folder into <Terraria path>/Custom Content/ and start the game (or Reload Packages if it's open).

In the game, you should see any installed texturepacks in use straightaway. To change settings, open up Terraria's Settings menu. Here you can reload Textures or Packages, toggle the Debug console, Extract XNBs or change the load order/priority of packages.

After changing anything in the Packages menu, be sure to reopen the menu and click Reload Textures.

For GOG users: Create a shortcut or batch file that runs Terraria with the -gog flag and it should run fine.

Information for Package Authors:

Your PNG files should have the same directory structure as vanilla's Content folder. For example, the path to NPC_1.png should be "Terraria/Custom Content/YourPackage/Images/NPC_1.png"
Icons and descriptions are read from icon.png and description.txt respectively in your package's root directory. Descriptions are limited to 150 characters, and icons have an unenforced maximum size of 150px square. I'd reccommend something around 145px to ensure that it doesn't clip the interface's border, but anything will work.

An icon and a description are not required for a package; it'll work just fine without them. However, it's a pretty nice touch.

Install Instructions:
Copy the downloaded .exe file to your Terraria folder and run it instead of the defualt .exe. If you want, you can rename the mod to TRT.exe, rename original terraria to TerrariaBackup.exe or whatever, it won't break anything.
Uninstall Instructions:
If you created a backup while installing, simply restore that, otherwise do a Verify Integrity of Game Cache through Steam or reinstall the game.

• The scrollbar is still a bit off.
v0.9.1:
  • Improved the package interface in a number of ways
  • Improved error handling in many aspects of the mod
  • Improved the console:
    • If you start with the console closed (aka debug=false), you should be able to open it no problem for the first time.
    • You should also be able to disable the console and continue playing as normal
    • However, if you open the console a second time in the one session, it'll be a bit wonky, meaning that it won't show any colors and either extracting the XNB's or openinh the package menu will crash the game.
    • This stuff is annoying, but just due to the way that the Console class isn't entirely optimized for using AllocConsole so it's out of my control. Instead, I'm just reccomending you to keep it disabled :p
  • Fixed the game crashing on startup if debug was set to false (as it was by default :sigh:)
  • Fixed saved packages being loaded twice
  • Fixed erroneous empty packages
  • Half fixed the scrollbar

v0.9:
  • Initial release for Terraria v1.3.0.8
I am not liable or responsible for anything that this program does to your system.
Nor I or this mod are affiliated with TCCL or Eikester.
Please don't sue me or anything.

Please, if you find any bugs report them in this thread so that they can be fixed.

Thanks a bunch!

Download:
Here! It's in a .zip file as the forums won't allow me to upload an .exe directly.
Edit: As it isn't signed with a certificate (they cost a lot of money :( ) you'll probably get a Smartscreen (or similar) warning about it. This is perfectly safe to ignore. If you're paranoid (which you should be, don't trust strangers), scan it with your Antivirus software or something like VirusTotal.

Attachments

• TerrariaReTexturerv0.9.1.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,992
Last edited:

Terraria ReTexturer

-​

This is a pretty basic mod that allows players to load their own custom textures into Terraria easily and efficiently. It:
  • removes the need for texturepack authors to compile their projects to .xnb files
  • simplifies the install process of texture packages
  • makes it nice and easy to reorder, disable and reenable packages without hassle
The biggest downside to TCCL was that it required the game to load every texture at startup, consuming much more RAM and leaving the game prone to stuttering and crashes. TRT uses a different system and, like vanilla Terraria, only loads textures as they are required.

Currently, only the modification of Textures is supported. Other media (fonts, sounds, wavebanks) might be supported at a later date.

Feature Rundown:
  • Loads textures from .png files
  • An interface written from scratch to reorder and toggle packages
  • Small memory footprint
  • Supports reloading textures on-the-fly so changes can be previewed without restarting the game
  • Allows extraction of Terraria's .xnb files to .png files.
  • Optional debug console that outputs information for texturepack authors
  • Supports custom names, icons and descriptions to display in the selection interface.
  • (should) Support both Steam and GOG (for GOG users see below)

Tutorial:

Texturepacks follow the same format as TCCL's packages. Drop a folder into <Terraria path>/Custom Content/ and start the game (or Reload Packages if it's open).

In the game, you should see any installed texturepacks in use straightaway. To change settings, open up Terraria's Settings menu. Here you can reload Textures or Packages, toggle the Debug console, Extract XNBs or change the load order/priority of packages.

After changing anything in the Packages menu, be sure to reopen the menu and click Reload Textures.

For GOG users: Create a shortcut or batch file that runs Terraria with the -gog flag and it should run fine.

Information for Package Authors:

Your PNG files should have the same directory structure as vanilla's Content folder. For example, the path to NPC_1.png should be "Terraria/Custom Content/YourPackage/Images/NPC_1.png"
Icons and descriptions are read from icon.png and description.txt respectively in your package's root directory. Descriptions are limited to 150 characters, and icons have an unenforced maximum size of 150px square. I'd reccommend something around 145px to ensure that it doesn't clip the interface's border, but anything will work.

An icon and a description are not required for a package; it'll work just fine without them. However, it's a pretty nice touch.

Install Instructions:
Copy the downloaded .exe file to your Terraria folder and run it instead of the defualt .exe. If you want, you can rename the mod to TRT.exe, rename original terraria to TerrariaBackup.exe or whatever, it won't break anything.
Uninstall Instructions:
If you created a backup while installing, simply restore that, otherwise do a Verify Integrity of Game Cache through Steam or reinstall the game.

• The scrollbar is a bit ... off. I'll take a look at it soon, but I won't have any more time to work on this for a while because of school constraints, so I figured it's better to release it now.
  • Disabling/enabling the debug console at runtime sometimes crashes the game due to something going wonky. There have been numerous issues with this that have been a real pain to fix and I'm not game to touch it yet. It should still work apart from that however, if you need to manually toggle it, open "Documents\My Games\Terraria\TRTConfig.txt" and change the 'debug' line.
v0.9:
  • Initial release for Terraria v1.3.0.8
I am not liable or responsible for anything that this program does to your system.
Nor I or this mod are affiliated with TCCL or Eikester.
Please don't sue me or anything.

Please, if you find any bugs report them in this thread so that they can be fixed.

Thanks a bunch!

Download:
Here! It's in a .zip file as the forums won't allow me to upload an .exe directly.
Edit: As it isn't signed with a certificate (they cost a lot of money :( ) you'll probably get a Smartscreen (or similar) warning about it. This is perfectly safe to ignore. If you're paranoid (which you should be, don't trust strangers), scan it with your Antivirus software or something like VirusTotal.

Is there a possibility to run this with the MechMod in the future, combining them both?

Edit: BTW, it is an awesome mod!!

Last edited:
... whoops. Here's a new update!

Changelog:
  • Improved the package interface in a number of ways
  • Improved error handling in many aspects of the mod
  • Improved the console:
    • If you start with the console closed (aka debug=false), you should be able to open it no problem for the first time.
    • You should also be able to disable the console and continue playing as normal
    • However, if you open the console a second time in the one session, it'll be a bit wonky, meaning that it won't show any colors and either extracting the XNB's or openinh the package menu will crash the game.
    • This stuff is annoying, but just due to the way that the Console class isn't entirely optimized for using AllocConsole so it's out of my control. Instead, I'm just reccomending you to keep it disabled :p
  • Fixed the game crashing on startup if debug was set to false (as it was by default :sigh:)
  • Fixed saved packages being loaded twice
  • Fixed erroneous empty packages
  • Half fixed the scrollbar
The game should actually open now. Yay! I think that's a pretty good start.

Attachments

• TerrariaReTexturerv0.9.1.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 381
Right now, the game crashes whenever I click "Packages" and I get this window:

Attachments

• bugadug.png
    bugadug.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 414
hey, i know it's way too early to expect an update to the mod considering the 1.3.1 update came out just this morning, but just to check, you do have plans to update it right? (i've grown rather addicted to my texture changes, i need my fix man)

I'm swaped with schoolwork and such right now (as always ... eugh)

@Starchy yep I definitely have plans. I should get it uploaded in a couple of days. You should post your textures to the other subforums though! This mod needs more attention!

@snarkel turn the debug console off - it's really only useful while the mod is booting up anyway.

@five--three awesome! take your time. and i'm not sure exactly what you mean :0 i don't have retextures myself (not yet at least, i've been considering making some though! and if i do, rest assured i will post them!)

@five--three Because i love the helpful-ness of this mod... I have an idea to make it more helpful, which is make it an option to switch texture-packs around from the main menu, instead of loading up a world and waiting a bit just to do so. If that gibberish didn't make sense (Because i barely understand myself) here is a simplified version: Make textures accessible from the main menu too.

(god i talk too much... wait, the mic is still on?!)

@five--three I love your mod, this is just what I needed, you are a wonderful person, on the other it doesn't seem to work on 1.3.1 which I kinda guess it wouldn't, any idea on an update? Take your time though, this is worth the wait.

I'm swaped with schoolwork and such right now (as always ... eugh)

@Starchy yep I definitely have plans. I should get it uploaded in a couple of days. You should post your textures to the other subforums though! This mod needs more attention!

@snarkel turn the debug console off - it's really only useful while the mod is booting up anyway.
would be nice, when you update it to 1.3.1, can you make it compatible with tmodloader

would be nice, when you update it to 1.3.1, can you make it compatible with tmodloader
i think he would have to completely redo the entire mod for this to happen, because it's an edited .exe, and so is tModLoader, so you can't run them both in the same instance unless you copy the edited code from one onto the other, which i have no idea how to do, and it may be even more complicated than that. I THINK.

@VOCEQUERUMACENOURA

When posting, it is expected you have a level of relevant content to your post. The Forums are not a chatroom. And a post containing only smilies is considered lack of content which goes against our Forum Rules & Culture. If you have anything new to add to your post and another member hasn't posted yet, please use the edit button to add it to your previous post.

Your posts have been merged here, as it is the same as your previous post essentially. Please keep this in mind as you post in the future.

Back
Top Bottom