Terraria won't launch, no error message

Hi there! Before I get into specifics, I just wanted to say that any attempt at help, successful or not, is much appreciated.

I've been struggling with this issue for a long time. This did not start with the 1.3 update. I'm aware that many users have posted on the forums with similar issues, but none of them include much detail, and none of the posed solutions have worked for me. I'll try to provide as much detail as I possibly can to aid any kind soul that attempts to help.

System Specs:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel i5-4690K
8 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 970
I have a 256 GB SSD as my C drive, which is home to my Windows install as well as some games. Windows is fully up to date with all mandatory and optional updates installed. My D drive is a 1 TB hard drive, and it contains my Terraria install.

I have the Steam version of Terraria, fully updated. The game has failed to run when launched through Steam. I click "Play" and my Steam portrait in the lower right corner changes from a blue border to a green one. I've seen it stay that way anywhere from two to roughly ten seconds. While the portrait is green and showing me as playing Terraria, there is no trace outside of Steam that would indicate that to be true. It doesn't appear in task manager, it doesn't appear on my task bar, it doesn't briefly open a window and close, nothing. One key difference between the issue that I'm having and most of the other similar issues I've seen posted is that there is no message or error whatsoever, with the exception of "Preparing to launch Terraria" for a brief moment after clicking play, immediately followed by User Account Control asking if I want to allow the program to run.

Solutions I've Tried:

I've tried turning off Windows Defender. It is the only anti-virus program on my computer besides the free version of Malware Bytes which lacks any real-time protection and intervention.

I've tried running the game directly from the Terraria folder using the executable (D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe), both as an administrator and not. The only difference is that when running the executable, Steam does not change from the blue portrait and "Online" state.

I've tried verifying the integrity of the game cache through Steam. Like everybody else, a single file was not found and was reacquired.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Terraria.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA framework, trying both the file included in the Terraria folder (xnafx40_redist.msi) as well as the version directly from Microsoft's website. I tried both uninstalling from "Programs and Features" and by using the uninstall button in both the Microsoft and Terraria sourced files.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file from Microsoft's website. It successfully completed, but the game still wouldn't run.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file in the Terraria folder, but it did not finish. The error was "The specified account already exists."

I've tried reinstalling .Net Framework using each of the two files in the Terraria folder. After running dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, "An unspecified error occurred."
After running dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe, two errors in one window popped up. One was about an installation not being necessary because .Net is a part of the operating system. The other said there was an equal or greater version installed. The same thing happened using the same version, 4.0, from Microsoft. I downloaded version 4.5.2 from MS's website and ran it successfully. It went through the installation process and said it was successful. It doesn't appear in Programs and Features though. I'm not sure if it actually did anything.

I've tried following these instructions:
This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

I ran TerrariaServer.exe and it produced this error and "Terraria has stopped working".

Thanks for reading all that. Please post anything that has some chance of being helpful. This has been very frustrating, as I want to play this awesome game. Thank you!

Your .NET is not properly installed, please reinstall .NET and update to 4.5.2

Thank you for the reply. The installer told me that in order to uninstall the existing .NET files, I would need to uninstall Windows update KB2934520. I did, and restarted afterwards. I ran the 4.5.2 installer again to install .NET, and it installed everything with no errors. Terraria still isn't running though, same exact issue. I tried before and after restarting a second time.

I'll do my best to help, but this is a somewhat strange issue. I've certainly never encountered anything like it.

What I can say is that it seems like XNA is not the issue, but rather .NET. (System package should have no problem loading)

My first suggestion is to verify that .NET 4.5 is enabled on your OS.
1. Press Win + R.
2. Type “optionalfeatures.exe” and press enter.
And enable all .NET 2/3/4 related items
JzJqTp9.png

Press "OK" and restart.

(Please note, this is a bit of a shot in the dark-- I've got a few other ideas should it not work.)

If the problem still remains, please do the Framework steps in my signature link.

Thank you Skiphs and Kalle for the replies. I got some (read: a LOT of) help from Aeroblop, one of the mods on the Terraria subreddit. He followed the instructions you suggested Skiphs. No dice. One issue that was solved, either from those instructions or messing around with file permissions or playing with some files in Windows\Microsoft.NET, was that now my event viewer is working, which it wasn't before. Now we have some more info to work with.

Two errors have shown up.
The errors are 1026 and 1000, I'll list them below in that order:

Application: Terraria.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException Stack: at Terraria.Main..ctor() at Terraria.Program.InternalMain(System.String[]) at Terraria.ProgramWrapper.Main(System.String[])

and

Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.3.0.3, time stamp: 0x55958905 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x00014598 Faulting process id: 0xd2c Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b701427afac2 Faulting application path: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 8047a93e-22f4-11e5-829a-448a5bd1ced7 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'll give some more detail. It seems I had two assembly folders. The one being used by the computer was different from the "assembly2" folder. It seems that folder shouldn't have been there, I put it there trying to fix something else a long time ago based on the advice of some dude on some forum. So Aeroblop renamed the "Assembly2" folder to "Assembly". I'm not sure if that's what fixed the event viewer, as he also messed around with some file permissions stuff, but something worked.

Kalle, I have followed your instructions several times, both without Aeroblop and with. No dice, but thanks again for the reply.

Thank you Skiphs and Kalle for the replies. I got some (read: a LOT of) help from Aeroblop, one of the mods on the Terraria subreddit. He followed the instructions you suggested Skiphs. No dice. One issue that was solved, either from those instructions or messing around with file permissions or playing with some files in Windows\Microsoft.NET, was that now my event viewer is working, which it wasn't before. Now we have some more info to work with.

Two errors have shown up.
The errors are 1026 and 1000, I'll list them below in that order:

Application: Terraria.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException Stack: at Terraria.Main..ctor() at Terraria.Program.InternalMain(System.String[]) at Terraria.ProgramWrapper.Main(System.String[])

and

Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.3.0.3, time stamp: 0x55958905 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x00014598 Faulting process id: 0xd2c Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b701427afac2 Faulting application path: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 8047a93e-22f4-11e5-829a-448a5bd1ced7 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'll give some more detail. It seems I had two assembly folders. The one being used by the computer was different from the "assembly2" folder. It seems that folder shouldn't have been there, I put it there trying to fix something else a long time ago based on the advice of some dude on some forum. So Aeroblop renamed the "Assembly2" folder to "Assembly". I'm not sure if that's what fixed the event viewer, as he also messed around with some file permissions stuff, but something worked.

Kalle, I have followed your instructions several times, both without Aeroblop and with. No dice, but thanks again for the reply.
Interesting, I highly believe I saw those errors before for other people, who got kind of a similar issue. I do not know yet, but I'll try to help you tomorrow. Maybe Skiphs has some other ideas too.

I'll do my best to help, but this is a somewhat strange issue. I've certainly never encountered anything like it.

What I can say is that it seems like XNA is not the issue, but rather .NET. (System package should have no problem loading)

My first suggestion is to verify that .NET 4.5 is enabled on your OS.
1. Press Win + R.
2. Type “optionalfeatures.exe” and press enter.
And enable all .NET 2/3/4 related items
JzJqTp9.png

Press "OK" and restart.

(Please note, this is a bit of a shot in the dark-- I've got a few other ideas should it not work.)
Did not work :(

I am also having a problem loading Terraria. I know my .net is working properly.
I only get to the "Preparing to Launch Terraria" Dialogue. It will go no further than that, and it stays there permanently until I close the dialogue box.
I tried installing latest framework manually. I tried all of the things OP did... This is just dumb. I used to play this game way back when it first came out and up till after the Unicorns and stuff came out(can't remember that update name). Now it's doing this? What update caused this?

when i just press play on terraria it just doesn't launch i tried to uninstalled some requirements to the game but one of the installers says: that i already have .net framework installed but i uninstalled it. can anyone try to help me and i also got an error on xnafx40_redist.msi: Module C:\ Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\XNA\Framework\Shared\xnavisualiser.dll failed to register . HRESULT -2147024703. Contact your support personnel.

Can someone please help me on this when i played terraria i never got it to launch and reccomended installers give me errors please help me.

I have the same issue byt for me it shows the 'preparing to launch terraria' box for split a second then nothing happends. It says i am playing terraria and it shows terraria as background processing in the task menu but it doesn't take any memory or CPU. sometimes it works bet then if i shut it and try again it doesn't. This problem is so confusing that i don't even wanna try anymore but maybe this information might help idk :p

I have the same issue byt for me it shows the 'preparing to launch terraria' box for split a second then nothing happends. It says i am playing terraria and it shows terraria as background processing in the task menu but it doesn't take any memory or CPU. sometimes it works bet then if i shut it and try again it doesn't. This problem is so confusing that i don't even wanna try anymore but maybe this information might help idk :p
For me, I fixed this by deactivating windows defender, everytime I deactivate it, terraria's window appears. Maybe windows defender blocks terraria without even warning you

When I launch my terraria it shows a white screen it plays the music and navigate the menu but i can't see what menu I'm in
[doublepost=1477161094,1477160705][/doublepost]
For me, I fixed this by deactivating windows defender, everytime I deactivate it, terraria's window appears. Maybe windows defender blocks terraria without even warning you
How do you deactivate windows defender

When I launch my terraria it shows a white screen it plays the music and navigate the menu but i can't see what menu I'm in
[doublepost=1477161094,1477160705][/doublepost]
How do you deactivate windows defender
I think you should probably create a new thread for this.

thank you so much XPixeLLoveRx i just got a pc and bought terraria but it wouldn't open your solution fixed it thanks

I'm having a similar problem, but when I tried most of the solutions Terraria still didn't launch.

(I don't want to wipe my computer)

Also I am using mods. Could that cause Terraria to not launch?

Thank you for the reply. The installer told me that in order to uninstall the existing .NET files, I would need to uninstall Windows update KB2934520. I did, and restarted afterwards. I ran the 4.5.2 installer again to install .NET, and it installed everything with no errors. Terraria still isn't running though, same exact issue. I tried before and after restarting a second time.
Yo dude, how do I do that on linux? Any ideas?

chiming in that I also have the same exact problem as OP except mine shows up in the task manager.

Back
Top Bottom