The Boreal Bookshelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixel

Terrarian
The Boreal Bookshelf:

----

Hello, this is a newspaper that includes literature and RP-based segments, which means the before association with newspaper might be slightly misunderstood. We writers our a, currently, team of five and will try to interact with the community enough possible to assure satisfaction. Every week, you'll be seeing 15, at maximum, individual segments, meaning you'll have an edition after each seven days. We are all putting a lot of time and effort into his ambitious project, so support is definitely wanted to better improve this and motivate us.

At these early stages, we are currently holding team positions for artists; a maximum of two with consistent style and wide capability. If interested, just contact me, Pixel, in a pm with a detailed application form for better understanding. And if this becomes big enough, we'll also be looking for people for editorial, contact, and research positions within the group. So again, if any of you might be interested, you know who and where to contact. Who knows, maybe we'll have an incredibly well formatted edition with thirty segments in the future?

Member List:

- Pixel [Leader and Writer]
- TheGoldenHawkster [Writer]
- SilverHexxitFights [Writer]
- Matsu [Writer]
- Commander Crocket [Writer]

News and Milestones:

1) The first edition is arriving at Sunday, some time late at the timezone [GMT] + 1. You better be ready folks, this is the Boreal Bookshelf's first ever edition, and rest assured it will be a good one.

2) The first editions is finally out! This edition features twelve different segments, and contains stories, to reviews, to conversation concerning gossip.

3) The second edition is out and about, in a new tailored suit. After some complicatiosn concerning Pixel and other members, the edition got out with some form of small delay.

4) Well would you look at that -- the third edition is now out on the Sunday! Featuring segments from each of the five Boreal Bookshelf members, though missing the special Sandal the Prosaic touch.

----

Disclaimer: Oh, and good old Loki has given the team permission to post the thread here. c:

Last edited:
Literature and RP-based segments, you say?

Would you mind to further explain what the content of your weekly article will include?
PSTge
Right now it's not very specific. Where will you get the sources from?

Literature and RP-based segments, you say?

Would you mind to further explain what the content of your weekly article will include?
PSTge
Right now it's not very specific. Where will you get the sources from?
Well, I'm not too keen on 'spoiling' my segments but I'll do it for examplatory purposes. I'm doing two literature segment, so fiction writing, which will be Papa Pixel's and Terraria Knowledge. My last one will not be based on RP or literature, but I'll instead be doing a much longer review of a suggestion.

The Boreal Bookshelf: Edition 1

Small disclaimer: Due to some family problems in real life, our writer SilverHexxitFights couldn't get all his segments done. I'm sure you can understand. As well as that, the far too recent joining of writer Sandal the Prosaic meant his third and final segment couldn't be finished in time. I hope that can be understood, too.

This is the first ever of a weekly literature newspaper; The Boreal Bookshelf. This edition has 12 different segments, which we hope you will enjoy reading. Every single one of us has put a large amount of effort into this project, and we'll hope to deliver even better as we progress through the months.

1. Papa Pixel's Weekly Recipe: [Pixel]

- Today we'll be making a fine dish, a classic of the Underworld culinary. Though do be warned when I associate it with Hell, because this really is a dish that will turn you as red as a demon. The inspiration to this meal came from my holiday in the Underworld, when I was resting at the coast of the Lava Sea. Whilst sat peacefully on my deck chair, I began to wonder what recipe I could make. That's when ideas started coming into my head, so I've gone here and created my own, original meal. It's called the Firebreather, and for good reason too.

Ingredients:

x2 Fireblossom,
x10 Gel,
x1 Crystal Shard,
x1 Blinkroot,
x1 Bottled Honey,
x8 Fireflies.

Method:

1. To begin with, take the two Fireblossom that you have prepared and cut the stems in half. Inside these particular stems, you'll find a long line of seeds attached to the inner skin. You need to take these seeds out, but with caution. The seeds are at a high temperature, which means they'll burn exposed skin with ease. Once you are done with that small step, you'll have to do the exact same task for the Blinkroot, which means opening up the stems. Now this time, gas actually is stored inside these stems that allow it to interact with the whole plant and allow it to emit light. This gas is harmless, but will start to make your eyes watery. And after that's done, this first stage in general is finished. Allow me to continue.

2. Now you'll need to grab the gel at your disposal and shape it so you have eight equally-sized spheres; balls. Now put that to one side, you'll be doing more things with the gel, but just not at this time. Next take the eight fireflies and make sure they're fully dead. Afterwards, cut a small hole into each of the gel spheres so you can stuff them with the fireflies to add an extra bit of spice. The slime itself should close without your interaction at a relatively cold temperature. Finally for this second stage, coat the slime balls in aged honey and leave to set - the temperature doesn't affect the outcome.

3. And lastly, after a good half hour, the meal in general is near completion. Though extra dish preparation is definitely recommended to please your diners that extra bit more. I've decided to handpick some crystal shard and shave it on top, but you can choose what you wish, just make sure the style of the meal is consistent and in place. And there you have it everyone, the meal is, like I said, very spicy so you'll need to take extra safety in choosing who you will serve this meal to. Hope you enjoyed it, next time we'll be taking a trip to the grassy forest of Terraria. See you then!

---

2. Terraria Knowledge: [Pixel]

Slimes are arguably a bizarre specimen. In fact, slimes are even said to be the most bizarre of creatures, beating mammoth-sized laser-shooting skeletons and walking goldfishes in the list. One frequently asked question is how do these creatures, composed only of gel and inside, live, and function? Allow me to explain.

Slimes have a heart, much like us Terrarians, though almost 8 times smaller. As well as the heart, slimes have an organ named the ortas. The ortas generates energy with the conversion of oxygen that the slime absorbs with its gel body. Fortunately for us Terrarians, the gel that makes the slime sometimes blocks the airflow and therefore creates intervals between each jump, otherwise slimes would be constantly bouncing around, ensuing chaos. The reason why their bodies can move around so well is because, as you probably know, gel is a flexible and light material.

The functioning of the slime is of course dependent on whether they convert oxygen, which is almost constant if it weren't for their gel bodies. The energy they create goes into pushing downwards, and thanks to their reliable gel bodies, they spring upwards to tall heights. Though it may at times not look like they are coming at a fast speed, slimes actually are, allowing them to inflict damage, a factor which is variable between different types and mutations. King Slime would be a good example.

Though fairly difficult to understand, that is how the function and live. Your welcome, Terrarians, the pleasure is mine.

---

3. Suggestion Review: [Pixel]

When Biomes Clash:

- "When Biomes Clash" is a suggestion thread created by the well known member zimberzimber that is found in the NPCs and Enemies section of the Suggestion forum. At the time of writing this, the thread has a total of 111 replies, and a massive 3,318 views. Though that's not to say this is surprising, I mean the statistic as incredible, but I'm going to show you why I wasn't shocked. This review will speak my exact words, but in text rather than my Columbian voice.

Zimberzimber has brought a very interesting concept to our idiomatic, metaphorical table. Though whilst the concept is not exactly one hundred percent original, it is safe to say that he makes some very valid points. And... in the long run, zimberzimber turns this seed of an idea into his own suggestion with quite the well developed way. So not only did the thread creator make an incredible suggestion, he's also made sure to include more new than old, and that's something most definitely deserves praise. I will continue.

I'll try not to get pedantic about my reviewing here, and get to the more exciting stuff; the things that as a whole come to piece each part of the puzzle. What the thread creator has introduced is an idea that makes mobs attack, or at least target, mobs from opposing biomes. This is done with a priority system, cleverly made to balance the suggestion correctly, which I'll go onto talk about in a bit. This means if a mob finds itself overwhelmed, it can decide what choice to make next. Flee, or change target? Decisions, decisions. And although you may think this could easily be exploited, think again. As I said, zimberzimber has done a perfect job on balancing the suggestion enough to fix issues like that.

So overall, I like this idea. Interesting, developed to great degree, and just overall marvelous.

• Originality: 4.3/5
• Concept: 4.4/5
• Elaboration: 5/5
• Format: 3.9/5
• Expression: 4.2/5
• Score: 4.36/5

---

4. The Hunter’s Handbook: [Matsu]

Derplings:

Beware ye who ventures into the Jungle unprepared. Enough with the theatrics, writing like that is a pain. The Derpling is a terrible creature that has begun roaming the Jungle during the day. While the thing may look incredibly stupid, it has friends. On their own the things are just a couple quick slashes and down, but when they swarm that’s a whole ‘nother story.

If you ever end up fighting a swarm of Derplings remember to keep a calm head. Sure the things can jump, but you can jump higher. The things move sporadically so try to spread out your offense to the largest possible area that contains all of them. If you start to get overwhelmed, RUN! The things keep coming out from whatever rock or tree they live under and they won’t stop until you are dead. The carcasses don’t even make anything useful, so only stay and fight the whole swarm if you are backed into a corner.

While these things may seem simple based on some of the weirder stuff in this book, remember NEVER underestimate a foe. The things will use speed and numbers against you, something that, odds are, you aren’t amazingly prepared for when you first find them. Finally remember our first rule as monster hunters; If you can’t run and you can’t fight, burrow into the nearest hill and wait it out.

---

5. The Terrarian Armory: [Matsu]

The Bee Keeper:

Long ago a lone adventurer left his home to fell the Queen Bee, little did he know the fight would be something he would never even reach. As the young hero ventured deep into the jungle, he lost his way in the dark and dank caverns of the deep underground. Eventually he did find the fabled hive of the Queen Bee, but in his weary state he could do little more than stagger to it and fall down dead. His blade however lived on...

As the young man fell dead, his sword fell into the royal jelly lining the base of the hive. For centuries the blade sat in the royal jelly, absorbing the pheromones of the Queen Bee and staining the blade a dark purple. Whenever the blade would be moved, be it by nature or some other young would-be hero, a hive would eventually form around it. Noting the importance of the blade to her swarm the Queen Bee eventually took the blade into herself to further protect it and aid her swarm.

Now if some champion were to find the blade they could use its power to great effect. If an opponent were to be injured by the blade the pheromones of the Queen would seep into the wounds. This secretion of pheromones would cause any nearby bee to rush to the afflicted to burrow into their skin and begin making a new hive. It would be a painful and by no means quick death, but it would be immensely effective.

---

6. Weapon Guides: [SilverHexxitFights]

Vilethorn:

The Vilethorn is an early-game magic weapon obtained by breaking Shadow Orbs in the Corruption. It fires a thorny spear that can go through walls and lingers for a bit. As such, it is an amazing PvP weapon before players get their hands on a shield of some sort, despite its underwhelming damage.

Strategies
The Vilethorn's ability to linger for a while is an excellent stunlocker - it keeps players away for all the time that it's there. In addition, multiple thorns fired at once (it is possible) will deal more damage and stunlock them permanently. However, shield-toting players will find stunlocking a breeze to charge past.

The Vilethorn's ability to attack through walls also makes it extraordinarily deadly in traps or just camping. Protected by a shield of blocks, one can rip away at an attacker. Or, hidden in a dark hole beneath the earth, one can send thorns up at players running over. I've had both these strategies used against me, and they both really work.

Counters
Good armor and a shield are the best defense against these fairly weak, stunlocking hits. Also, make sure to avoid dark places where campers could hide, and tote a good pickaxe so you can break through the defenses of Vilethorn campers. In addition, a Vilethorn of your own allows you to get at them.

Keep in mind that, until you get close, you have nothing to fear, as the Vilethorn has a fairly small range compared to other early-game magic weapons.

---

7. Sandal's Scandals [Sandal the Prosaic]

Arms Dealer having an affair!?:

21457-38085dda66ef469bd3602f9596f813f7.jpg

Here the Arms Dealer is seen exiting the Steampunker's room. He looks flustered! She looks ashamed, staring at the wall! Could the Arms Dealer be cheating on the Nurse? As we all know, the Arms Dealer has a tendency to fantasize about other women. He's been dating the Nurse for years, yet he seems to yearn for the Dryad, does he not? When we questioned him about his ongoings with the Steampunker, he yelled "Scram! I sell guns, and I know how to use 'em too!". Why would he become so infuriated at the question?

Though no images were available, sources have told us that he was also seen asking the Guide how to make Love Potions. Why would he need to make Love Potions if he was happy being with the Nurse? I think it's safe to say that the Arms Dealer has some relationship issues. But what might be causing this? Why can't he simply maintain a healthy relationship with one significant other without having flings with other girls?

Well, have you ever noticed how arrogant the Arms Dealer acts sometimes? And how he is always comparing himself to the Demolitionist? These are both traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You see, people with NPD require validation of their importance. Therefore, if the Arms Dealer were to have NPD, he might want to compare himself to the Demolitionist, someone who is similar in occupation, attempting to validate that he is more important than the Demolitionist.

People with NPD also have troubles with relationships. Relationships for them are mainly superficial, and the fundamental purpose of the relationship tends to be only for their self-esteem. Would it be fair to say that perhaps the Nurse was fed up with his arrogance, failing to feed his self-esteem, causing him to go after other women? And perhaps the other women end up failing him as well, forming a morbid cycle? I'd say that it's within the realm of possibilities, what say you?

---

8. Abomination Creation Station: [Sandal the Prosaic]

Moonglows:

21558-365468d8cf048d86e6913b7336d34400.jpg

In this segment I will crossbreed two biotic entities in Terraria and observe the outcome! This week we enter the Jungle, where I've bred a Moonglow with a Jungle Spore. I think you'll find the outcome interesting...

As you can see, it has grown two bulbs! You may be aware that Moonglow Bulbs possess antibodies that can be used in certain potions in order to counteract toxins. This means that with this new breed, we can produce Moonglow bulbs at twice the rate of regular Moonglow plants, which will be great for potion enthusiasts!

You see, Moonglows react negatively to UV rays, meaning unlike most other flowers, they do not rely on photosynthesis. Under normal circumstance, a Moonglow will grow on the surface of the Jungle due to the great sum of fertile soil and water that they rely on. However, when bred with the Jungle Spore, a plant which does not rely on photosynthesis OR water, only soil and the pollination that they receive from Hornets, the Moonglow is able to produce bulbs at twice the rate it normally would.

Thanks for joining us, and make sure to return next week to observe my new breed!

---

9. An Old Sea Dog’s Folly: [Matsu]

Part 1 of 2:

My name is Garry. Due to my somewhat illustrious career I have been dubbed, “Gunpowder Garry.” When I was a younger man I fell in love, as all mortal men do and sired a son. I loved that boy with all my heart, but sadly I would never get to see him grow.

One night there was a terrible storm and my humble vessel was tossed about like a feather in a hurricane. As we finally righted the vessel my beloved son was nowhere to be found. We scoured the ship and all the nearby islands, but alas we found neither hide nor hair of the boy. My wife was so distraught she cast herself into the sea one dark night.

So now I carry on in her memory. I put forth my collection of wealth and resources into finding my son. One day I hope that I will see him again; even he doesn’t know me from a rock. I’ll always know he is my son, and I will watch over him. I hope I can find him soon, I miss him so much.

---

10. Tinkerers Tribulations: [4tehLolz]

Welcome one and all to my Workshop! Today we shall ponder and comprehend a perplexing material that has been eluding great minds for many ages. Yes, today we shall answer the following question...

Why do Cobalt tools contain in some components what appears to be silver?

The answer lies within the forgery and smelting of Cobalt. Have you ever noticed that cobalt takes a miniscule tint? And that the bar is incredibly shiny in comparison to the darker ore? Well, this is because Cobalt is actually found underground by you foolish non-goblins as an alloy with bismuth. As an old acquaintance of the Goblin Legions, I am very fond of this material. I know in particular that Cobalt makes a great shield that can be modified to have many more practicalities; that is why some of you humans call it kobold or goblin ore.

Anyway, this means that at smelting, the bismuth and cobalt must be separated. Bismuth on it's own does not possess a high melting point, but the enhancer of this, the actual cobalt, has a melting point of 1,495 degrees Centigrade! Remember that in your "science" class. This is why it requires a demonic Hellforge - the eternal flames are the only ones that are strong enough, but still reachable with the lower materials, to obtain such powerful equipment.

When forging, the metals separate out, making the parts such as handles of axes, spearheads, drillheads, and chains require the far more malleable bismuth, whilst the rougher and blunter (yet lighter) components of materials like polearms, katana blades, drill bearings and axe heads consist of the cobalt. Further bismuth may be used to sharpen the weapons edge, giving a shiny appearance.

---

11. The Iceman Cometh: [4tehLolz]

Part 1 of 2:

The story awaits you...

Day 1: The air is heavy and warm in this viridian haven. If I did not have the tenacity to keep my padded fur coat on my person at all times I am sure i would enjoy this trip to the Jungle! But we cannot stall. I have to stay strong, else who knows what forces will be released from the glaciated caves... I will camp and make barricades from the sturdy, rich woods of this area. Perhaps the new day will bring a new discovery.

Day 2: And so it has! I have scouted the surrounding area and monitored my climate equipment and it appears that I have located the transfusion from grass to snow. The Boreal Woods are ahead of us! The crisp, cold air is already beckoning me; along with it the softness of snow underfoot... No, that's just tepid mud. I have to leave this tropical terror with haste! The bats have harassed me enough, and I keep picking these huge pink blooms - I wonder what species of flower they belong to. Anyhow, we must go onwards!

Day 3: We are finally reached the invigorating Boreal Woods! The snow coats all like a child's blanket, keeping everything fresh and cool. The trees are tough and strong, bearing a great grain and smooth texture (I would certainly like to take some lumber home and make a bookshelf out of the stuff). I have, however, discovered some unfriendly new inhabitants. These pesky gelatinous globs appear to be abounding everywhere I go! Their carcass is great fuel, however, and I can sleep well tonight with a warm campfire. The penguins seem distressed in the twilight, however... Perhaps the Flinx are emerging from the caves. Not to be prosaic, but they do flock at this time of year. Ah well, time to set up camp! Don't want to get bitten by the "terrifying" Flinx!

---

12. Finance and Business [4tehLolz]

Here we have updates on finance and business. What's been happening this time round?

Update on the economy: The Slime Minister seems to be blaming George "Omnir" Osborne for the state of the Terrarian Market with no apparent reason! The Slime Minister has said, "I'm blaming him because of memories from TO." The interview terminated there as his Greasiness rolled on the floor laughing, presumably in ironic intent of this outrage.

Soothby's market update: Duke Fishron has been very unappreciated as an auctioneer, and none of the usual bidders will give reasonable prices on his wares! He has now resulted in only taking one Truffle Worm presenting bidder at a time, which is of much annoyance to the many bidders who wish to murder him repeatedly and gain his powerful wares. The Moons have seen inflation on their goods which have been termed as low quality, so they can give thanks to this curious (and in some cases unfortunate) event.

SCANDAL: It was there all along - but we never even cared! Research from A Couple of People, the dedicated researchers, have concluded that the NPC's were swindling us all along, selling their wares at 500% of the reccommended prices! The offenders have all been locked up under house arrest, except for the Angler as he is a child, so the authorities have told him to roam whilst they work on what has been termed the "wallpaper crash" by the Painter.

---

We all hope you enjoyed this first ever edition. Please give feedback, like, and support us in any way possible. If you're feeling generous and think your friends would enjoy a good read, link them here too. Hello and goodbye, please and thank you. That's the Boreal Bookshelf, signing off...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh heh, it's just like the tabloids we have here in Britain. Enjoyed reading this, can't wait for the next instalment.

By the way, if you ever need more writers, editors etc..., you know where to find me. :)

@Commander Crocket If you ever fancy joining the team, you're free to contact us. I'd gladly have another competent writer, who can always manage to fit in some classic sense of humor.

@Pixel Sure thing, I look forward to working alongside you and the team.
Ah, that's great. I'll invite you to our conversation and you can introduce yourself to the team. Meanwhile I'll be updating the member list for this thread. Also, just to let you know, I'll need a small example of your writing so I can determine your level of experience.

Update: Due to some IRL problems, our fantastic writer Sandal the Prosaic might be leaving us. We all hope he'll get better soon, because the problems are starting to affect his actions and desires. Hopefully he doesn't decide to leave, as his excellent segments will without doubt be missed.

Hello! I'm most likely an unfamiliar face to most of you, but Pixel, who (if you didn't know) is the founder of this writing association, has had a few troubles IRL, and consequently could not format this week's edition on time, thus I have been recruited to give you the Boreal Bookshelf. i hope you enjoy!

The Terrarian Armory
(by Matsu) The legacy of weapons continues...

The Candy Cane Sword is a rare and dangerous addition to any armory. To begin with it can only be obtained when Santa’s influence over the land causes the dark spawns of the world to carry gifts. Another key piece in this pieces weaponry is the way it is made. This is a sword that is not forged from steel, but rather from an actual candy cane.

While the name may seem like a clever play on the weapon’s stripes and festive colors it is actually very literal. To forge such a blade a creature, usually one with a large mouth, must meticulously whittle down the blade to the proper shape using none other than its tongue. This meticulous shaping process gives the blade its excellent balance and light weight.

While on the surface it may seem like a weapon, this blade actually has an alternate use. Many adventurers have claimed to survive by eating their Candy Cane Sword. One must remember that first and foremost this is a piece of food, albeit a well-honed and incredibly deadly one. If you are caught in a survival situation this blade can be eaten, just remember to boil it first to get all the monster saliva off.

An Old Sea Dog’s Folly (also by Matsu) An absolutely thrilling piece from Matsu!

I have heard rumors about an island nearby that has some young fishing prodigy living in it. Based on the boys reported age, it seems like he might be my son.

I made landfall in the evening and sneaked up to this village. It seems like the boy is being held by a mass of adults. Many of them seem to stay in the village, one of them though seems to go out and fight the creatures of this land. It seems like this will be simple, my crew will swarm in, grab the boy and go.

It seems as though that one fighter of theirs has spotted us. I saw him standing at the top of a hill, blade drawn as he watched us swarm onto the land. He fought with such ferocity; his weapons rent utter destruction upon my crew. There is only one thing I can do now.

The Hunter's Handbook (Matsu) Another great story by Matsu! This one also takes place in the Jungle...

This thing is a true monster. As with most of the greater horrors of this world it seems to be nocturnal. Due to the Derplings (covered earlier) not showing up at night I have come to the conclusion that these over grown air-rats hunt the Derplings for food. Now, enough with the ecology lesson, you need to know how to fight these blighters and I can tell you how.

Now it is important to realize that, with these things, big doesn’t mean slow. These things move quickly and can take quite a pounding. They tend to attack their chosen prey by swooping low and returning to the safety of the sky. Now there are two solutions to this issue; the simple one and the fun one.

The simple solution consists of firing your ranged weapon of choice: guns, bows, spells, bananas, etc., at it. The fun solution, and my personal method, involves getting your biggest sword and playing a friendly game of baseball with the thing as it swoops down. As with most of the monstrosities of the Jungle this thing’s remains cannot be used for much, so kill it fast and kill it hard.

Terraria Knowledge (by Commander Crocket, a new member!) A huge segment which definitely's shows Commander Crocket's strength in writing at length and still with great interest.

The Lihzahrd. An enigmatic race of humanoids that once inhabited our world. Who are they? What are they? Why are they here? And what connection do they have to the evil that slowly corrupts our world? These questions will soon be answered, dear reader, so stay a while and listen, for I am about to recount a tale; a tale of epic proportions, one recounted by the Lihzahrd lores and the scriptures of old.

Long, long ago, the world as we know it was a lush paradise, inhabited by a race of lizard people, known as the Lihzahrd. The Lihzahrd were a warrior race, one that took pride in their longetivity and combat prowess. They prized knowledge in all its forms, and were explorers in every sense of the word, simultaneously seeking scientific and technological advancement, and primal shamanistic wisdom. They had an utmost respect of the natural fauna found in the world they inhabited, and their sanctuary grew by the day, consisting of structures hewn from the stone, bridges woven with branches, and hallways caressed by pure waters. They built around the ancient and noble trees, drawing from their strength and giving them their own in return. All was well in the world that they lived in. However, all of this was soon to change.

One fateful day, one unforeseen by their sages, a meteor came as if from nowhere, casting a dark shadow of debris over the land with the violence of its impact. Its destructive force spent, the fallen star burnt itself out rapidly, and the incident should have faded into memory. But the meteor brought with it destruction. A Great Poison burst forth into the land, a strange energy that clawed at natural life with a ferocity that seemed almost sentient, and with such violence that they were ripped from their peaceful states and found themselves wandering as shadows of the mortal forms they left behind, searching for why they were here.

Their prophecies tell of the coming of 'The Worm'. Born from parasites, nurtured in a poisoned womb, the Worm grew, devouring from within, until the world began to rot. The words of the seers had come to pass, for there, in the depths of the world, the ravenous Worm lurked and fed. From the stars it came, blighting the world with its Great Poison. The world of living things began to feel strange to the Lihzahrd, they who had existed so long on the edges of time and space. It then became clear that they could never return to this world, not while the Great Poison reached ever further into the planet.

It was so powerful, this creeping evil, that their wills began to crumble and their minds began to fail. The cries of the dying land echoed in their ears as they watched the Great Poison seep ever further into the living pulse of the world. The dark energy sank into the trees and waters, devouring all life. Peaceful beasts died by the thousands. Some survived, but their forms grew as twisted and evil as the force that fell from the sky. Many of these mutated monstrosities remained small enough to do little harm, but others grow enormous and threatened their very existence. Even in the face of such horror, they did not turn in fear, as they were are all that stood in the way of this Great Poison, and saw it as their duty to contain it. And so, before it was too late, they made their last stand.

A war was waged between the two forces. Casualties numbered on the hundreds for both sides, but the population of Lihzahrds was diminishing. Due to their great longetivity, old age wreaked havoc on their ability to reproduce. Thus, they were forced to flee. Their efforts were not in vain, for it proved sufficient enough to slow the spread of the poison. However, that which remained thrived and grew more concentrated, gnawing on itself in the dark passages beneath the world's surface. Now, they could do nothing but watch as the Worm grew, watch and wait. For the prophecies also spoke of a great Defender, one who would deliver the world from evil.

The final days drew near. More and more, their tormented minds turned to the Defender. As the world continued to shift into brutal, disconnected images, the Defender remained inarguably real: a fearless figure delving deeper into the blighted world, unmindful of the terrors that awaited them. They did all that they could to aid them, for they bore their legacy as they bore the ancient armor and weapons of their people. The race then disappeared from the face of the world, and were never seen again...

The eventual fate of the race as a whole is unknown, but the winds tell of the possibility that the race lives on, residing in a shadow of the world they once inhabited, a shadow of their former selves...

The Alchemist's Table (Commander Crocket) A taste of Commander Crocket's great Alchemy guide, which can also be found on Steam and is well used (I for one use it from time to time!)

To mark the debut of this new segment, let us begin with one of the fundamental potions to concoct, one that can be made with readily available materials. The potion we will be detailing today will be the Lesser Healing Potion.

Ingredients (produces two):
1 Mushroom - Found sporadically on grass located on the surface layer of the world, can be consumed raw to restore 15 health points.
2 Gel - Dropped by slimes, the rather peculiar natural inhabitants of the forest. A very versatile material.
2 Empty Bottles - Smelting two Sand Blocks at a Furnace yields one Glass, which can then be worked into two Empty Bottles, at a Furnace.

Lesser Healing Potions restore 50 health points each, and are one of, if not the greatest assets to newer heroes, aiding them in that time in which they are at their weakest and most vulnerable. It is always a good idea to carry an abundance of these while the first chapters of your adventures unfold, as there is no telling what will appear in or from the caverns below...
Be wary, however, for after any health recovery item is consumed, you will be unable to consume another health recovery item for the short time period of a minute. Certain items exist that, when equipped on one's person, are able to shorten this refractory period of sorts, but this is a tale for another person, for another time.

That is all for this week's segment. Thank you for reading, and be sure to join us next week for our next instalment. I look forward to seeing you again.

Tinkerer's Tribulations (TheGoldenHawkster[I changed to a new account from 4TehLolz]) Another edition of the Goblin Tinkerer's madcap ideas!

Today we will look at a powerful set of equipment that belongs in any knight's armory. It is very powerful and strengthens the user with retaliating blows on any beast that is dumb enough to venture near them. Today we will be answering...

How is Turtle Armor formed?

The first thing we need to consider is the materials. We have a single Turtle Shell and a median quantity of Chlorophyte, the living metal (which we will cover more of later). The Turtle Shell is usually damaged from you crazy people bashing them to death in order to obtain it, so there is a low chance of their carcass wielding a suitable shell.
As for Chlorophyte, it has a low durability but is unique in being organic and able to rejeuvenate and replenish itself, making it appear to be indestructable. Chlorophyte is very easy to work but is very dense, requiring lots of "ore", or rather sp"ore".

The great thing about Chlorophyte is it's ability to meld itself with other organic materials, taking on the properties of souls, mushrooms and in this case Turtle Shells, which give the misnamed creature it's famed strength and power. When melded with the shells, the Chlorophyte binds with leftover Tortoise (or should I say Turtle) cells on the carapace and gain it's DNA and molecular compounds, giving it the ability to create new shell-like structures. This is what you find on your suit of slain koopas. And that is the incredible Turtle Armor!

The Iceman Cometh (TheGoldenHawkster) My second installment of the Adventurer's diary...

Day 4: The Flinx have retreated from their rampage, but all is not well. These beasts have apparently stained the virgin snow red with the blood of penguins. This is terrible! I hope this does not do something to the woods...
In other terms, I have found a frozen chest in the Flinx's cave. This chest contained a frozen falchion which seems to have been enchanted with elemental properties, giving it the ability to project icy bolts! A great find; surely a contender against whatever we are about to expect. I have also built a rather shoddy wooden hut from the otherwise agreeable Boreal Wood, which may not look good but certainly keeps whatever's out there out!

Day 5: There are some... strange shapes on the horizon. People? I don't know. Stories always say adventurers see mystical things that aren't even there.
Now, onto the highlight of the expedition so far! I have found a plethora of strange flora and fauna both above and below the wondrous woods, such as a rose which is completely frozen yet still grows, a (hostile) species of bat which disguises itself as an icicle, and spiked frozen globs, which are currently marauding me! It tickles.

Day 6: I think there are some Eskimos up on the hill by the woods. They used to always be around here, but according to some they were wiped out by a severe virus decades ago. Well, at least I know there aren't any "zombies", as some plucky adventurers call the babbling drunkards that wander the forest and attempt to bite you! Now, here is another enlightenment... I have found a frozen Viking corpse! It was lying under the waters by the caves. I quickly fashioned a crude "fishing rod", if you will, and tugged it out. Being so ancient, all that is left is bones and clothing, and a suprisingly warm (yet menacing) helmet. This should give me some protection!

A Nice Jungle House(SilverHexxitFights) A cleverly executed building from Silver, which is a fresh idea for our latest edition!

index.php

Terraria's Best Fails (SilverHexxitFights) A fun column and you can all participate in the stories Silver suggests at the end!

Hello! Today on my new column, Terraria's Best Fails, we'll be exploring some really epic fails I have taken. Be sure to submit your own horrible fails if you have them - and we all do!

One time, I was messing around in the Jungle, attempting to amass Jungle Spores, when I found a Hive. I burrowed in and, severely weakened by the bees, attempted to grapple into the honey.

I grappled onto an unseen larva sac beneath the honey and summoned the Queen Bee.

Another time, (also Jungle-related), I had just opened the Jungle Temple when I saw another Plantera bulb. In an effort to reach it, I forgot all about the temple and the flying snakes that were waiting for me inside. Once Plantera had died, I was beset by a storm of snakes.

That's all for today! Be sure to submit your own stories for next week!

Weaponry Guide (SilverHexxitFights) A great guide for any player who is confuddled with their new piece of equipment. This week - the Staff of Earth!

Today we're going to learn how to effectively use the Staff of Earth. It's a magic weapon dropped by the Golem. Although it has a base 45 damage, that damage changes drastically based on how quickly the projectile, a massive boulder, is moving - up to 90. To take advantage of this, the player should use the Staff of Earth from above and in close quarters.

The boulders will stay for a little while after being fired, making a "spiky balls" effect when put into a confined space. Enemies won't be able to get out of their crush and will continue to be cut down by balls from above.

Remember that the Staff of Earth is hard to aim, slow to fire and costly to use in excess. As such, its users cannot maintain a combat stance for too long and are easy to overwhelm with prolonged assaults. Consider weapons that can attack around corners so you will not have to place yourself at risk of the projectiles; a shield is also a boon to you due to its high knockback.

That was the Boreal Bookshelf, everyone!

Please give thanks to:
Pixel,
SilverHexxitFights,
Commander Crocket,
Matsu,
Sandal the Prosaic (We should still credit this great writer even if he could not write this week),
Me( I don't want to say this but fine anyways)
And any new writers in the Boreal Bookshelf!
Thankyou for reading. If you want to become a new writer, PM any of the writers above (predominantly Pixel, but he may be away for a short while) and then submit one of your best pieces of writing and you may be entered into the group!

Last edited:
The ttt has a competitor! Can I apply as a build/art spotlighter? Every issue I'll post a build/art that I think is worth sharing. (They'll be from the CC)
If you want to join the team, you have to have three segments. Unless we make an exception. Also, I don't care about competing with TTT, the support they have is outstanding, and there's no point making any comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom